Chapter 3

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

Mirai couldn't get over the secret that Chinen shared over lunch. As she helped Umika with the props backstage that evening, she was largely distracted. Then a mellow voice startled them both, bringing Mirai back to herself.

"you're looking for?" Umika asked a tall guy in a blue knitted long sleeve top, grey jeans and black boots. He looked like a prince walking out from a fairytale, and he left them staring for quite a while until it became too embarrassing.
 
"Umika Kawashima... I'm looking for her."
 
"I am Umika..." she politely bowed.
 
"yoroshiku onegaishimasu. I'm Suzuki Hiro."
 
"Heh?!!!" Umika uttered in shock and so he was surprised by the amusing hospitality. 
 
"gomene... I am just surprised how you didn't look like Mizuo at all."
 
he laughed, "I get that alot... and you're?" he turned to Mirai who returned to her trance.
 
"huh? oh hi, I'm Shida Mirai. yoroshiku onegaishimasu. anyway, you guys can carry on with your discussion. I'll help you replenish the materials from those at the art room." Mirai politely excused herself and left in a blink of an eye, though Hiro continued to look at her backview.
 
"Hiro-kun..." Umika called out. Seeing his interest, she explained "Mirai is not from the drama club. she is just helping me with the props."
 
"I see..." he gave a kind smile. 
 
"shall we discuss the storyline over there~" he nodded, then she led him to a coffee corner where it was at the moment, without any customers. She has hoped Chinen is around when she explained the plot to Hiro, afraid she mentioned anything wrong. However, he can almost see through her fears and can effectively ease that fear with his kind words, "feel free to go slower, cause I need time to jot down notes too. I have nothing this evening so please take your time if you need to." Umika relaxed herself while thinking deeply if she is an open book, since Ryosuke and Hiro could both see her through well. all except Chinen, who is as dense as he can get. 
 
****
As Mirai brought herself across the corridor towards the art room, she had to pass by the teachers' office. She was always extra careful when she walk past this area, likewise for every other student. it's a dangerous area for most. She lightened her steps but the commotion she heard stopped her from moving further. 
 
"For what reason did you two fight?!" the discipline master shouted, "Yamada Ryosuke, since you started first, you explain why you punched him"
 
Mirai heard that name. She thought he wasn't in school, apparently he was today, but definitely not in a way she expected. she had a bad feeling, so she decided to eavesdrop. Going forward, she leaned against the wall and peeked in. there she saw 2 guys standing in attention with hands behind their backs. Both had obvious bruises, Ryosuke had his on his lips and the corner of his eyes. 
 
"sensei~" the other student wanted to answer, but the discipline master decided otherwise "you,  follow Yoko sensei." the guy trailed away as instructed, leaving Ryosuke alone with the discipline master and his home room teacher, a demure lady, Hana sensei.
 
*Slap!
 
"Sensei!" Hana sensei gasped as she moved beside Ryosuke who was slapped so hard that he was flung a few steps back. "Hana sensei, you step away while I discipline this hooligan." she had no choice but to step away from the boy whose eyes were cold as ice. Mirai held her breathe as she was trembling from the harshness brought unto him. 
 
"I've receive complaints about you skipping school and walking out of your sensei when he tried to stop you. now you fought your junior. what's wrong with you?!! do you want to be expelled on your final year?!"
 
Right up till now, he did not speak.not sure if he was hurting or was he simply ignorant of the reprimand. however, Mirai saw the same lonely eyes that seemed to have alot to say. Was it the search for his parents that broke him into this hostile state? she pondered as she held her breaking heart.
 
"I give you one last warning, Yamada Ryosuke! finish all these worksheets from the time you decided to skip school before you head home," the discipline master slammed the worksheets so hard on his desk that it fell all over the ground. It breaks the heart of any onlookers to see Ryosuke stoop so low of his dignity to pick up the worksheets. definitely worst for a guy. Hana sensei walked nearer and bent down alongside him to help, "i'll get some antiseptic for your bruises," while helping pick up some loose sheets. but the discipline master shouted back, "Hana sensei, I want to see you in my office now" it was obvious the intention was for zero compassion towards the rule breaker. while it's not right to skip school, Mirai felt that the discipline master should have tried to understand at least. She heard his first sentence after the long reprimand, and it was directed to Hana sensei, "Daijoubu sensei. I'm okay."
 
"Ryosuke~" she sighed then helplessly left the classroom with him picking up the stuff alone. The classroom was in silence. Mirai dashed away without the heart to see more. it's so much for a day, she would hope rather that she never see him until the next Monday at work. maybe that would have been better.
 
******
 
Chinen arrived at the drama club to see the props partly done up. Heartened he was and he knew Mirai helped from the style of handwritings of the 2 girls. He stepped in, avoiding the tubs of paint and as he pulled through the curtains, he hid behind it the instance he saw Hiro and Umika laughing in unison. it's probably the brightest smile he saw on her in the past few days. He felt his body burned in fiery, that anger was indescribable but at the same time unexplainable. it was like an unknown force possessed him and he found it hard to even simmer down. He wanted to leave unnoticed, before he had to face them closer, unfortunately he was spotted.
 
"Chinen~" Umika saw him at the back.
 
"hai...," he walked closer to the pair and greeted politely, albeit pretentiously, "yoroshiku onegaishimasu. Chinen Yuri desu"
 
"Suzuki Hiro desu" he greeted. Chinen was stunned at how much taller he was, and how compatible he appeared with Umika. was it how jealousy felt like. perhaps not, Chinen convinced himself otherwise. he couldn't at all interpret that rage.
 
"I shan't disturb the two of you. carry on,"Chinen walked away with a subtle bow. Umika couldn't comprehend what that meant, so she excused herself and caught up with him.
 
"Chinen? I thought we're supposed to discuss the plot together with Hiro?"
 
"well, I see you are doing fine with him. I don't wanna ruin that moment for you nor him"
 
Umika felt ridiculous and got the burning urge to understand the intent of the line. "what do you mean by that? what moment do you mean?"
 
"I don't need to spell it, ne."
 
"there's nothing between me and Hiro. I frankly do not know where you got that idea that there's something between us. I just met him, for goodness sake"
 
"that doesn't mean feelings can transcend right. fate is just so amazing. you don't have to justify to me though"
 
"I can't believe you, Chinen Yuri! you are such a jerk!" Umika pushed her way through and ran out of the drama club room. Chinen got shoved to a side, looking at her blankly after several calls receive no replies.
 
Hiro chuckled and replied after watching what seemed like a drama enacted real time, "that's jealousy, Chinen-kun"
 
"huh?! me, jealous? crazy... there's nothing between me and Umika"
 
"same for me. but your insecurity has already given you a clear indication."
 
"indication for?"
 
"her importance to you," Hiro said in amusement and lightheartedly ended the meeting "thanks for the meeting. I guess I have gotten the resources I need, so I'll just practice it until the rehearsals. good luck with everything"
 
Hiro left Chinen and walked across the corridor. He was clearly lost when he was bumped into by a girl he met earlier. "ah~ Gomenasai..." they both said in unison, his eyes met hers. but hers were only so short to last. She dashed off with the first aid kit. "is she hurt?" he asked himself.
 
*****
 
Ryosuke sat against the light, motionless, as though in a severe trance. He did not even hear someone else come in until a tube of antiseptic cream was presented in front of his eyes. he looked at the presenter, and frowned immediately. "it's you~" he said coldly with a clear sigh.
 
"you'll need this, senpai." Mirai said as she continued to hold it for him. she rummaged through the kit and see what else she could pass to him, ignorant that her presence was not required.
 
"what is it you want?" he asked without facing her, his tone full of irritation.
 
"I just wanted to help..." 
 
"I don't need your help," he murmured. She never gave up her offer. "I heard from Chinen about your parents... if you need, we can help..." Ryosuke was surprised about what Mirai has said. he never thought she would know. deep down, he didnt mind her knowing since many of his friends already knew, but he didnt understand why he was immensely annoyed by it. "oh, so you know. another busybody, ne Shida Mirai"
 
"heh?" Mirai was shocked by his harsh reaction. she didnt expect worst has yet to come as his words turn blunt and hurtful.
 
"who are you to help me? I barely know you so why do you think I'll accept your help or how can you even help someone you don't know... mind your own business, Mirai... you can't even live your own life properly. aren't you disliked by most people, so I rather you help yourself than help me. before you can manage your own repute and rapport with others."
 
Mirai froze, literally. It pains her heart especially when all such harsh phrases were from her one and only crush, the one who had been nice up till now. when a nice guy says nasty things like that, it can only mean he really could not tolerate you. The very interpretation was hard for her to digest, and that was why her intention was always to remain invisible than be treated in the hate list. he's right to say many in school dislike her, and in this twist of event, she has made him another one of the bunch, annoyed him on his most sensitive issue.
 
She thought she was strong enough but when she finally spoke, tears ran loose, choking her and drowning her. nevertheless, she responded with his body turned against her, "I don't know why people hate me. I only wanted to live properly so that I can self-reliant, so that I can lift my head up in front of those who think I'm a burden. I only wanted to live properly, is it too much to ask?!!!everyone, everyone hates me! I don't understand why can't people leave me alone to fight my own destiny. I did not hurt anyone so why must they hate me?! I am tired too, but there's nothing I can do about it~ I only wanted to help you, is it wrong? Is it wrong to like you too? I only wanted to quietly watch you from afar, is it wrong?!!!" she blurted out everything in her surge of emotions, dashing out of the room almost Immediately when she realised what was meant to be eternal secret are all revealed in a single breathe. she is both embarrassed and traumatized by what she heard and said. however what is said can't be taken back anymore, and the thought of it made her uncertain how it would be in the future. how she should face him at work, or at subsequent encounters.
 
Ryosuke didn't had it better. his feelings got more complex, with remorse at those horrible things he spoken. at the same time, he was curious why she has been leading such a difficult life. he barely scraped through the punishment as soon as he saw the discipline master exited the school gate when the sun sets. He sling his back over his shoulders and stomped out of school with his teeth gritted in suppressed anger. 
 
"Ryosuke~" the voice he least want to hear came from behind. Without turning back, he knew it was Mizuo who has been calling him non-stop. She slipped her arms around his, and leaned on him as she said "I'm here for you." That simple line made him stop. he turned to her and looked deeply into her eyes. he tried to reach her with the many many things he wanted to share the heartfelt burden with.
 
"I'm okay. I'm tired. let me call you instead," Ryosuke backed away, leaving his girlfriend behind. he could not find that same in her eyes, the patience to listen, hence his urge to share something that did not matter to anyone else but her. Mizuo however, hugged him from behind, tightly with her arms circled his torso. he felt the warmth and tears rolled in his eyes, but he tilted his head back and held it from exposing. He released her interlocking hands then turned to her for a soft kiss on her cheeks. "ore wa Daijoubu. I promise."
 
****
 
Mirai sat on a bench in the park near her school. while the proximity between the park and school is close, there is almost no one who would walk through the park as it's a longer route to the amenities. This was Mirai's best escapism. she wouldn't let anyone else see her tears as she yearns to let it all out after long suppression. life isn't so bad, there are people worse than me, she convinced herself. to feel gratitude for what she has and not complain about what she doesn't, is her philosophy in life. but once in a fortnight she wanted to rant on the unfairness in her life, it's a way she 'spoils' herself. this was one of those days. Her fingers squeezed the corner of her skirt, in frustration that she cried. She hates the way people treated her, her parents, her sister, her classmates, and now he whose opinions mattered most. even the last fantasy to brighten her everyday has become her nightmare. she hated herself for not trying her best to remain invisible in everyone's lives, doing her best without disturbing anyone else, but even so she couldn't do properly. she unknowingly offends her family and everyone else, and it was hard to tell what exactly was wrong. she let out all her frustrations, crying to her heart content, as all the nasty remarks she endured day and night flashed through her mind, the most prominent being the one by Ryosuke.  
 
All the crying took a toll on her, mentally and physically. as much as she tried to lift her swollen eyelids up, the heavier it gets. it would be dangerous for a girl to stay out, she knows it, but she simply did not want to exit the temporary recluse and head back into the harsh reality of a family who feels of her as a burden, and classmates who rather not have her around. at least the stillness of the park gives her that shelter, albeit it's only for a while. the freezing night breeze may be cold but the crying made her disregard all the other physical concerns and eventually fatigue kicked in. She fell asleep sitting up, out in the open. 
 
what she didnt know was she wasn't alone. he stood behind a tree and heard all her cries, coming out only when he realised she has entered dreamland. He, with his light footsteps, sneaked up to her and knew even better than she was hurt really bad. He sat beside her and even so, she did not wake up. he gently leaned her against the bench, ensuring she was comfortable and that she will not wake up with an aching neck. He brushed her hair from her face, revealing beneath was her sunkened cheeks, swollen eyes and Rudolph nose, a stark contrast from what he first saw of her in the day. he felt an overwhelming sense of sympathy and the urge to understand the mystery of this girl burns. he caressed her checks and found her freezing temperature. He removed the red knitted scarf from his bag and gently circled it around her neck. She jerked for an  instance and he heard her mutter a soft "Yamada~" when he put on the scarf for her. then it all returned to all standstill. Throughout the night, he sat beside her, watching out for her if there were any danger or malicious beings. he finds pleasure observing her peaceful breathes, caressing her soft hair occasionally.
 
When the sun dawned upon her tender skin, her eyes fluttered open to receive the new day. for a moment she was shocked to find herself still in the park, afraid that during the night someone has taken advantage of her. but that fear was superseded by the mystery of a knitted scarf that kept her warm throughout the night. she looked around to see who could it be but there was no one. there was only one person in her mind, considering what has happened yesterday. She was almost certain it was Ryosuke who kept her company, but it was difficult to ignore the true feelings he revealed about her and what she said to him. Her heart cringed and thought he would not want to see her again. it's the end of he secret crush, cause it would only be harder to watch him without being identified within his radar. Was she angry with him, no. cause what he said was true. she can't even handle her problems. how could she help another person. she wished to believe he was the one who was with her at night, that give her hope that everything can still be normal.
 
He stood behind the tree and smiled when he saw her subtle smile, that was a beautiful smile, he thought to himself. capturing it on his phone, he too smiled to himself. 
 
*****
"Konnichiwa!" Mirai cheerfully greeted a sweet middle aged lady who returned her an equally welcoming response. "welcome again, Mirai~ Umika is upstairs. make yourself at home, alright. I'll cook up your favourite dishes for dinner so I insist you stay okay."
 
"I will, thank you Kawashima-san. I hope I'm not imposing."
 
"of course not. and dear, you lost alot of weight lately. because of stress?"
 
"perhaps~" she chuckled. She always loved the minimalist designs of Umika's house and she would be lying if she said she wasn't a least bit envy of her loving parents. Umika is the only child so she pretty much received all the love she can get from them. Mirai has long concluded that thats probably why her sister hated her so much. even it wasn't for her, their financial burden won't be so great, and her sister could possibly enjoy all the love she can far from her parents. 
 
"I'm here, Umika~" Mirai opened the door to her room, only to see the huge mess of artwork all over her bedroom. Umika sat in a corner, with her hair tied up and her usual black rim specs, battling the deadline for the props as the musical approaches. Umika's eyes brightened up as she saw Mirai, making her way through all the art pieces and giving Mirai an enormous hug. Clearly, Mirai was suffocating with her tightened grip. "thank goodness you are here... there's so much more to do, I can't finish it by myself."
 
"where's Chinen? I thought he's helping?"
 
"I never asked him. he's such a jerk yesterday... I... ah forget it, I don't even feel like mentioning it. lets get work started..."
 
"oh well, promise me you'll count him in the next time... you'll overwork at this rate."
 
"i will Mirai. anyway, i would definitely need his help next wednesday for the carpentry work. that I already told him. you'll be coming too right?"
 
"of course, for my best friend!" Mirai shouldered Umika and they both cuddled for a best friend hug. They worked over the hours, laughing, giggling over funny encounters, chatting about almost everything under the sun. While Umika also took the chance to rant to her friend about the unhappy episodes she experienced in the past month, Mirai did not tell her about the bottled unhappiness, especially what happened yesterday. she didnt want to affect her friend's mood over something as trivial as hers. He cannot be considered a problem for her, cause he is never hers to begin with and they are of 2 worlds to be even spoken together in a single conversation. 
 
though she never shared her problems, Umika was sure about one such aspect and understands it well. "any issues at home recently?" she asked.
 
"same old thing. my sister seemed to have found a company who's interested to recruit her. but it feels like she is not contented with the remuneration"
 
"she should be contented you know, she's not even highly qualified to begin with. she can't always be living off that little allowance you earned right. she's your elder sister, she should be supporting you."
 
Mirai remained quiet, and Umika knew she doesn't wanna comment, especially anything that discredits her sister. sometimes she feels that Mirai is being too kind that she becomes irritated by her. but after 3 years on friendship, she has gotten used to it. 
 
"anyway, didnt you say Ryosuke is working at the same place as you? how is it?" Umika didn't know her question has triggered some unhappy encounters with him yesterday that Mirai was trying to forget.
 
"he has postponed his reporting date to next Monday."
 
"did he say why?"
 
She remembered Ryosuke's intense expression when she mentioned about his search for his parents and thought it may be about that. she didnt wanna speculate, so she gave a factually correct answer, "no, he didnt. he probably explained to lady boss, but she didnt tell me what it is. as usual, she wouldn't share such stuff."
 
"true. how, are you excited about breathing the same air as him, in close proximity every night?"
 
previously, the answer would have been hell yes, but Mirai now has mixed feelings of fear and uncertainty, insecurity and a tint bit not knowing what to do with him around. "I don't know. I hope it'll be okay."
 
"what do you mean, Mirai~ it'll definitely be okay. you're bold, I'm timid..." Umika laughed as she gave Mirai a nudge. the 2 girls laughed away their mutual uneasiness, hiding away the discomforts and embrace what is to come.
 
*****
Insomnia - was the word to describe her Monday morning. Yawning repeatedly was like a disease. She leaned her head on her elbow as she listened to classes. each sensei was humming lullabies, calling her to sleep, but everytime she shut her eyes, she becomes awaken by the imagination of how her night would be at work, with Ryosuke. She confessed. yes, now she remembered, on top of all the harsh exchange between them. it's gonna be an awkward night.
 
Her phone beeped, and it had to be Umika reminding her of the 'excitement' of my new work partner. excitement it is, but not in the real sense of the word.
 
"Mirai! good luck tonight. make an impression, ne. your best excuse to go closer to him is to show him the trick of the trade. - Umika"
 
Mirai sighed as this was the same thing she ever said to Umika, and now that she reflected it back to her, she don't know how applicable it would be. 
 
the clock ticked, tocked, ticked, and the lady boss nagged from beginning till end since Mirai started work for the night. She was nervous at first, but as the time past, and there was simply no sign of him, her nervousness subsided. However, what emerged in her heart was the sense of guilt that she may be the reason he did not turn up. shrugging away the point of irresponsibility, she was more afraid that the hatred for her is starting to sprout.
 
"This boy is atrocious. from the day he begged me to work here, he did not formally turn up for work."
 
" that one night he helped us..." Mirai tried to explain some leeway.
 
"that's not counted, Mirai. that was goodwill."
 
"maybe it's the rain? it's a heavy rain today." The two looked out to the streets, and it's true how the rain has reduced the visibility of the streets such that they couldn't even see what's in the front.
 
"if he had reported work punctually, he wouldn't be caught in this rain. anyway, don't speak up for him anymore. I know you like him, but that's not the way of spoiling him."
 
"heh?! I ... I don't like him" Mirai frantically tried to hide her secret, though maybe it's already too obvious to her from the beginning.
 
"convince yourself that instead, Shida Mirai. one word of advice, he has a handsome pretty face, but his character is not worth on second thoughts. I'll close the store today, so you go home and rest. you look tired today" while the lady boss always sounded bossy, but the truth is, she's one of the few adults who made her feel loved. She taught her alot too. even the point on Ryosuke, was in part true. it's something Mirai already knew, but it never stopped her from liking him.
 
"but it's not time yet."
 
"there's barely any customers today because of the rain. just go, don't be a nag"
 
Mirai accepted it graciously, picked up her bag before formally greeting her hardwork for the day. She sling her bag over her shoulders, and look at the pouring rain that evoked a deep unsettling feeling. Rain always makes one feel emotional, Mirai however felt the rain was the best disguise for her. it conceals one's unhappiness and troubles, and packaged it well such that onlookers cannot see nor hear the truest heart.
 
She raised her umbrella, with her feet stepped into the puddles, the splashing sounds made her excited, made her feel lighthearted. Soft steps she took forward with the cold wind brushing past her freezing skin, but it was secondary to the entire experience of rain she loved very much. While many dread, her face lighted up with a smile, the brightest yet. 
 
However, in all brightness, there'll be one lone soul, trapped and gradually drawn into a merciless black hole, overshadowed by darkness, and sent to eternal damnation that saves no last grace. 
 
Her happiness stopped abruptly. her heart sank. she fell from up above to an all low. no one could withstand the sight of a fallen. Her witness was more than unfortunate, cause the victim of an obscene cruelty was someone she knew. she stepped closer, before she could focus on the subject, a strong stench of fresh blood penetrate her nose and made it clear that the puddle was not of rain, but that of a more horrific fluid. The body laid on the ground, crouched to be exact, drowning in the pouring rain. the water have wrinkled his skin, and the cold froze his heart. Mirai quickly went closer, and what he saw was a guy, deep in frowns, suffering from the physical torment with his eyes shut in the test of endurance.
 
"Ryosuke!!!" Mirai searched for signs of consciousness, but he was simply too weak to speak nor open his eyes. he groaned in pain as he held his stomach, cringing. There were blood from his nose, and his lips, the stains of blood was also evident on his white uniform. he was trembling. she was too, in fear and confusion. she didnt know what to do. "I'll call the ambulance~"
 
before she could dial the number, he painstakingly murmured an affirmative, "no." Troubled, there's only one other place she could think of. ensuring that she does not hurt him further, in case he has a broken bone of sort, she carefully carried him onto her back. then, she was even sure that he's cold as ice. he was indeed too heavy for her, every step she took was difficult and it only got more difficult. there was no way she could hold up her umbrella while piggybacking him, so it turned out by the time she returned to her house, she's equally drenched. she could have sent him back to his own house, since she knew exactly where he lives, but she had no confidence that she would be able to find what she needed to tend to his injury. with her decision, comes the likelihood of a strong opposition from her family. to prevent arguments, Mirai quietly crept into the house after ensuring there's no one at the living room. with the load on her back, she quickened her steps as she made the last desperate leap to her room before anyone notices. She carefully left him on the ground as he was soaking wet, with blood, tears and rainwater. He was leaned against the wall, as he rummaged through her wardrobe, vaguely recalling Chinen has one set of clothes with her from an event which she hasn't returned. She grabbed along a towel and a basin of clean water and her first aid kit. She sat down in front of him, looking at his intense agony, still in frowns and bitting his lips to distract from the pain. His fist was clenched, body tensed up.
 
Mirai didn't know how to begin. She looked at the clean set of clothes and back at him, she blushed at the thought she had to undress him. there was no choice. There's simply no way to shed the discomfort if she does not clean him and freshen him up. "Gomenasai, I ... I'll be careful."
 
With her face heating up, she dapped a clean towel into the basin of water, then gently cleaned his face of the impurities and at the same time, stop the bleeding from his nose and lips. when she traced the corners of his lips with the towel over her fingers, she felt her heart beat fast. just when one ordeal is yet to he over, the next is to start, as her eyes moved to his neck. nervously, her fingers ran the buttons of his uniform and removed it one after another. all her anxiety was superseded by the sight of the wound that's probably hurting him most. there were bruises all over his abdomen area with cuts and the main one is right beside his belly button. She googled on the Internet to check on the correct way to deal with cuts and bruises and began treating it as an amateur. every contact she makes seem to hurt, but when she moved him slightly to check his back, she could almost picture the events in her mind. thick rods coming down on him hard, left thick lines that penetrated his flesh and scraped through his skin. She let him lean on a futon by his sides, with his exposed upper body, and gently rubbed the antiseptic over the red scarring rod marks. 
 
"Arghhhhh" he groaned and clenched his teeth in agony. His fist wrenched the corner of the futon and his eyes shut tight with cold sweat breaking from his forehead. Mirai could only apologise, as any compromise in lightening her pressure upon the wounds on his back will render the basic treatment a failure. he repeatedly shivered in pain and many times, she had to cup his mouth to prevent his cries from getting to her family's ears. By the time she has completed tending to all his wounds, he has passed out from the pain. Mirai moved him carefully onto her bed, and now that he is dressed in full, she could finally observed the pain written on his expression. His brows were knitted, with sweat still trickling from his forehead; Tears trapped in the corner of his eyes; flawless lips made imperfect by a bruise at the side. She used the cloth to dry his cold sweat, tracing his defined features of his well-liked face. For some reason, his ruffled look made her fall deeper for him. she knew it wasn't the time for infatuation, but she couldn't curb that feeling of hers, especially in such negligible proximity where nothing stands between them. it was just him and her, albeit he is unconscious, in the enclosed room where no one else could interrupt or interfere. no one knew he is here with her, not even his girlfriend Mizuo. She felt bad, when she drew parallel of this to a purported illegal confinement without his knowledge. She even touched her heart and sincerely admitted that she didnt want anyone to find him for the night. She led her fingers in between his brows and it quickly untangled as though the tip of her finger has magically unnerved his troubles. She recalled in her search on the internet that if there are complications, fever would develop. She hoped it never happen, but she wouldn't take her chances, she tried her best to stay awake, sitting beside the bed and keeping his company with her head rested on the edge. 
 
Nonetheless, the fatigue of taking care of him was overwhelming. She unconsciously fell asleep, a deep one indeed. 
 
As daybreak, Ryosuke was woken by his aching body. He pried open his eyes only to be greeted by an unfamiliar surrounding. While the splitting headache makes it hard for him to process his thoughts and reduce his alertness, he was immediately drawn to the warm sensation surrounding his right arm. There, he saw a tired girl sleeping by his bedside. He softly brushed her fallen hair that covered her face and revealed the identity of her saviour. His eyes widened when he saw the one person who he bluntly hurt with his words. He tried to remember the sequence of events yesterday, but when he did, his head throbbed badly. Flashes of him initiating the fight with a group of delinquents from school, and eventually being trashed by the group with blows that crippled him and eventually knocked him out. he remembered it was raining heavily. he took a glance at Mirai and the fresh set of clothes donned on him, as well as the blood soaked laundry at the sides of her room. memories of her determination to tend to his injuries, carrying his weight on her skinny back very quickly ran through in his mind in bits, but it was clear what she has done for him. he was touched, immensely, and he reflected on how harsh he was to her that day in the teacher's office. he clearly remembered how he told her to tend to her own issue of discrimination against her and recalled how upset she was when she responded. her words had profound meanings but anyone would sense that there was an unspoken part of her life that could possibly explained all her unfortunate life story. he saw her tiredness, both externally and internally, and he could tell it was partly due to this life story. he had to dig it up that evening, upsetting her so terribly yet she sacrificed her entire night to help him tend to his injuries. it was more than guilt, it was an indescribable gratefulness to and impressed of her. He struggled to sit up on the bed, however the pain was much lesser than yesterday. He pressed on his shoulders and massaged it lightly to ease the stiffness. He grabbed the blanket that was previously laid over him, and pulled it over the girl sat on the ground, with her head nested on the edge of the bed. He couldnt understand how she could withstand such discomfort, perhaps she's really very exhausted to mind the posture. He gave a soft pat on her head, then dragged his feet towards the door. He wrenched opened the knob while holding his head, the door creaked open. With a slight opening, he could see another young lady with short hair standing right outside, turning to the source of the noise. Before he could fully open the door, an abrupt counter force pulled him backwards, falling on his back. He was in such pain that he didnt have the energy to struggle out of the grip, neither is his brain quick to comprehend what happened. All he knew is Mirai was sitting on top of his torso, staring right into his eyes with his mouth cupped by her palms. The door was slammed back and it was locked, as he saw from a distance.
 
"Mirai? you are still at home? aren't you supposed to be out for your delivery work?" the voice from outside surprised him, but he could see more of the fear in her eyes.
 
"hai. i'll be out in a while. i overslept"
 
"as usual, you are a burden." the other commented nastily. Ryosuke was surprised there was not a single expression of annoyance on Mirai's face. He nodded as a sign of understanding of the situation and signalled her to move away from his body. Mirai was startled by her own unfeminine behaviour as she quickly pulled apart from him, and apologising profusely.
 
"I'm so so sorry. I didn't mean to. I.. I can't let them know you are here." she frantically tried to explain for herself. He was however trying to recover from the pressure asserted on him earlier, that he really didn't bother about her apology. In actual fact, he did not blame her. "are you okay? did I hurt you? I did, did I..." she went nearer, hoping she could help, but he gestured her that all is good. He took several deep breathes, before finally speaking in concern, "I think I should be the one apologising. I imposed on you,"
 
"it's okay~"
 
"honto? that lady said you have delivery work.."
 
"AH.." she sprung up as she remembered about her owrk. She was too late. The distress plastered all over her face was too obvious to ignore, howeverm Ryosuke for a whole second, just sat there. 
 
"I'll be back once I'm done with my delivery work...please stay for a while. my parents will be out for their morning walk and my sister should be out soon too..by then, it'll be safe to exit, then I'll bring you out." Mirai expected that Ryosuke agreed, but he said no. Mirai was confused and stunned to speak. Seeing that she did not reply, he made a counterproposal, "you lead the way, I'll sneak out with your signal."
 
"you dont mind?"
 
"of course not. I won't get you in trouble. trust me." he said with a tone of assurance.  She peeked outside through the small gap in the door. She gasped when she could feel his sweet breathe by her neck as he leaned towards her from behind. She told herself to stay alert. When the coast is clear, she ushered him towards the next hidden spot at the end of the corridor. 
 
"Mirai, are you there?" she heard his dad said. She gasped, and at that instance, her mind went blank. He however stayed alert. He grabbed her into a small gap right beside them, and hide within some furnitures. They were enclosed tightly together with their bodies facing each other. Initially their eyes met. She felt like she is about to be into his charm. She averted his gaze and went into a trance as she become seranaded by his warmth from the bodily contact. 
 
"erm... i think you can check it out already..." he knocked her out of her daze and she quickly went on to check the coast. The moment she found the opportunity to make a run for the main door, they both counted to three and ran for it. She could vaguely hear her parents asking if it was her, so she replied faintly, "bye okasan, otousan, neesan!!" She returned her focus to him and shyly uttered, "please go back to rest. you must be feeling horrible..." She realised he did not respond, perhaps waiting for her to bid her farewell first, considering how they ended on a bad note the last time,  "so... bye... see you around," she lowered her head and said, then turned around, grabbing her bicycle and going the opposite direction.
 
"what do you have to deliver?" she heard him ask.
 
"heh?" she turned and realised he is just beside her, looking all interested. "i... i have to deliver milk"
 
"ah, i see. let me help..." he volunteered, and his face only showed his enthusiasm that Mirai found no opportunity to turn him down. However, she needed to air her concerns, "you should still be hurting ne.."
 
"i'll worry for myself," he answered monotonously. She thought she angered him again, but all of a sudden he returned this sunshine smile that stunned her heart. He grabbed the bicycle from her, and only after a delayed second that she returned to her senses and went alongside him. She felt all fuzzy being able to walk beside him, albeit not hand in hand. A feeling of trust sprouted from one night of event, and unconsciously, he revealed for the first time something hidden deep in his heart that sheds light on his recent mood swings.