Chapter 6

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

Mirai and Hiro looked at each other with a blank face, both do not know what had just happened and it all occurred too fast for them to process. All they knew is Chinen brought Umika away in the midst of Hiro performing the kiss in the act. Mirai rubbed her nape then awkwardly said, "i apologise on behalf of Chinen, what he did earlier was rather rude."

"alright for me. I think he has his reasons." He slouched onto the coach beside her. Now that she is in close proximity with him, she finally had a good look of him. He is very tall and nice-looking, a different kind of charm from Ryosuke and Chinen. He has this really kind look, especially when he smiles. What attracted most was his hands. His fingers were long and she imagined how it would wrap nicely the hands of his girlfriend, whoever the blessed one might be. He does seem like the kind who is devoted to one, protecting and loving her till the end of the world. 

"I guess he is trying to protect her," he continued.

"Protect her from what? There's no danger here."

"To him, I'm the danger," he chuckled, confusing her more and more. She felt ashamed how as both their friends, a passerby like Hiro seemed to be able to see through them clearly, but she couldn't.

"You really don't know?" He asked. When she shook her head, he realised that she is just like Umika, inexperienced. That to him was pure adorable. He played the role of a lecturer, shedding light on the possible conflict arising from a profound action - kiss.

"That action is for lovers. If someone else with no romantic relationship intrude in another's personal space, it will be considered offensive to the person who harbour love towards her. Considering that's her first, that significance would be greater for him and her. A first kiss is always the most precious, isn't it."

Mirai was enlightened and was hoping what Hiro said is right. He saw her smile and unknowingly smiled himself. There's this urge to smile along with her, and that isn't the first time he is swayed by her emotions.

"Isn't the preciousness of the first kiss long gone with time? I thought no one really think so highly of it anymore." She asked in details, unveiling her curiosity without thinking ahead of how embarrassing it is for a girl to ask that sort of a question and even engage in a discussion. For some reason, Hiro looks approachable for anything. Maybe that's why she intuitively asked it without much thoughts.

"That's not true. Actually it has become more precious since most would have taken it for granted. Those few who protects it for their true love are as precious as the act itself."

Mirai blurted out another question, regretting right after, since it could have been offensive and at the same time ridiculous. "Is this your first kiss too?" How could it be, she silently ranted on herself for asking such a stupid question. Someone like Hiro would have relationships similar to Ryosuke. She was right. 

"That's definitely not my first," he said, although he did not laugh it like a joke. He considered her feelings and that makes her touched, though at the same time, makes her more disgraced by her own insensitivity. She expected him to ask her back, but he did not. Maybe he already saw through her like an open book, she thought.

"Mirai-chan..." he suddenly called out to her, with a tone a little more serious. she looked at him with the same gravity so that she will not trivialise whatever he is about to say, "You know my sister right? Your junior..."

"Hai. Suzuki Mizuo..."

"Yes, and you know her boyfriend is Yamada Ryosuke right?"

"I know..." Mirai was suspicious why he asked that but it seemed he was holding back quite a lot.

"You know him well?" He asked.

"... Not really, why?"

"Frankly, I don't have a good impression of him. He doesn't seem serious about relationships, you think?"

Mirai began to see how his questions lead up to his distrust of Ryosuke but could understand how it all comes about. Ryosuke does give off the feeling that he do not care much about girls and romance, despite his enormous wealth of experience in dating girls after girls. Albeit she knew all these, she still helplessly fall for him. So how should she answer Hiro's questions?

"I dont know..." - the best answer after a no response. It was a tense few seconds until Hiro let out his kind smile to relief the intensity.

"Sorry that i stressed you out with that questions about him, ne. Don't worry about it, I just wanna understand him better."

Mirai found the urge to speak up for Ryosuke, selflessly hoping Hiro will not make things difficult for him whenever he hangs out with Mizuo. Also, those loneliness and bottled up feelings beneath the carefree character of Ryosuke, she felt should at least speak up for him.

"He isn't really a bad person. His behaviour could really be a concealment of his true self which we need time to understand. It's easy to judge but understanding a person takes time right?"

She began to feel that she is too persistent on her viewpoints that Hiro seemed to be taken aback. If she was him, she would have felt angry by her remarks. 

He didnt. He actually smiled back, brighter than ever. "You're right. I'll take note. You do understand him well, I'm kinda jealous he has such a sincere friend around him."

"I... (Oh no, was i too obvious. Will he tell Mizuo about me?!)" 

"Relax. I just wanna be your friend too."

"Heh?!"

"Can I?"

"Sure~" most people would not notice her if they did not already shun from her, but Hiro was different. He wanted to befriend her. Mirai was too shocked, or rather too happy to react. She always hoped to have people wanting to be her friend and after Chinen and Umika, she finally has another one.

"Great! Anyway, i dont think they'll be back, let's go for dinner!" Hiro grabbed her shoulders and pushed her in front of him. Mirai couldn't say no, cause it appears that he has already decided. 

"you're treating, ne?" Hiro asked while they were out of the school. 

"HEH?!!!" Mirai was shocked he said that. "excuse me, you are the one who wanted to go for dinner..."

"You need to eat too right," he laughed. Mirai really felt like she should be angry, but when he laughed, she couldn't help but laugh along and even acceded to it. 

"What do you wanna eat?"

"I let you decide."

Immediately, one popped out her mind. "I know. Follow me~" she led him to the only restaurant she knows she could afford without a breaking a hole in her wallet. Needless to say, it was none other than the restaurant she works in. This day, there isn't much people. She showed herself to their seats, enclosed within high backrest. It's space all for themselves.

Hiro is already helping himself to the menu, while Mirai has memorised it in her head already. Serving customers for almost a year here, she already knew what's best. "You should try this. It's the best seller," Mirai recommended. 

"Alright, then I'll order one of this. It's not because it's cheaper, that's why you are recommending this right?"

"Of course not. I work here, so i know what's best," she defended, giving Hiro another round of laughter at her frantic reaction. "You don't have to be so scared of me," he said. She felt embarrassed. Fortunately, the lady boss came over to take orders, killing that awkwardness.

"Ah, Mirai... Oh, hi," the lady boss noticed the handsome young man seated opposite her and softened her tone. Hiro politely rose from his seat and greeted, "yoroshiku onegaishimasu. Suzuki Hiro desu. I'm little Mirai's friend" he suddenly patted Mirai's head, giving her quite a shock for that added friendliness. 

"Hey... I'm not that little," she protested lightheartedly, though deep down, she felt fuzzy having someone call her so intimately, something she's yearning her parents to call her, but it never happened. Instead, it was her new-found friend, almost a stranger who calls her that. She bothered not on whether Hiro has any malicious intent for trying to befriend her, cause she just couldn't see her worth for any conspiracy.

"You're much better than the previous guy... That Yamada Ryosuke is just another playboy with no sense of responsibility," the lady boss praised while putting down the other person who she never knew was right behind them. 

"I am sure I heard my name," the customer behind stood up with his girlfriend beside. There was a hint of unspoken anger beneath the smile that drove the lady boss away and the rest stunned for words. More so for Mirai, she felt the guilt as she felt it was partly her fault. with her lips trembling, she said, "Ryosuke senpai..." Hiro gave minimal acknowledgement for both his sister and Ryosuke, but it's understandable since they are technically a family.

"Since it's just the 2 of you, shall we crash the party?" Ryosuke said. It sounded nothing like a friendly self invite. Instead it sounded like a challenge issued, following the nasty comparison made between Hiro and him. Mirai could sense the anxiety in the air. Even when the lady boss approached with the dishes, she refused to engage Ryosuke's death stare.

"how's your exam, Ryosuke?" Hiro asked in attempt to break the awkwardness. Ryosuke's eyes looked not at the speaker but the one who has been silent, Mirai. Ryosuke smirked then held out the charm he earlier received. "Thanks to your good luck charm, Mirai, everything went smoothly."

By now Mizuo is already staring intensely at Mirai, and needless to know, she is definitely unhappy about Mirai's gift to her own boyfriend. Mirai gasped when she saw Mizuo's cold expression, especially frightening with his black eyeliner. Ryosuke didn't seem pleased at all either.

Hiro was the only one who bothered to help her from the sticky situation which could potentially land her in a feud with Mizuo. "Did you give all your friends? Cause there's alot you've got" 

Mirai turned to Hiro. He lied for her. He lied in order for her to escape. She only have got one charm from the temple, and it's only for Ryosuke though she has thought she may never give it out, she did.

"Yes. I gave it to my friends too" Mirai asserted strongly, but careful not to mention Chinen cause that's too risky considering the two guys are best friends. Ryosuke's face appeared even more suppressed, almost hinting his annoyance. Mirai could see it all from his eyes, and just when she hoped not to offend him more, she didn't expect to be the cause of something else.

"By the way, why are the two of you together?" Mizuo asked as she looked at Hiro and Mirai. before Hiro could answer, Ryosuke already answered on behalf, "isn't it obvious, Mizuo. They're on a date" Mirai noticed that even when he make such a unverified  remark, he was staring at her with a not-so-friendly expression. Mizuo especially seemed to look at her like she was bearing a grudge over something, staring at her while the rest weren't alert. Her eyes shifted frequently between Ryosuke and Mirai as if observing, so the latter was careful not to gaze back at Ryosuke the same way she did since they got acquainted. Though the gaze from Ryosuke was very hostile today. Mirai was wondering if the hostility stemmed from the fatigue after a whole day of exams or was it that the exams wasn't as smooth as he said it was. 

"It's not... I..." She realised the more she tried to defend, the more she revealed about her hidden feelings that should never see light especially in front of Mizuo. She struggled between clarifying and keeping silent that in the end, she neglected the other one who is most tainted by the unnecessary assumption. Yet his kindness still prevailed.

"Don't stress her up, see how nervous she is," he smiled at her while saying to Ryosuke. He approached it so well that he managed to clarify things without hurting the delicate atmosphere more. "I was at the club rehearsing and since we were the only two left, i thought we could catch our dinner first." 

Mizuo gave that expression that seemed to convey the it's-obviously-this-reason-cause-how-can-my-Brother-have-such-poor-taste. But mirai knew her position that she really is not in the place to feel offended. But she can't hide her disappointment and soon, it was the feeling she was a missfit in the conversation of perfect people. she really appreciated how Hiro takes care of her as though he knew exactly what she's going through. He placed some food in her bowl of untouched rice, and when Mizuo stared, he did the same for her. 

"I'm done. Let's go" Ryosuke stood up abrubtly. He held a look of disgust as if someone owed him a living. 

"B-but your bowl is still filled. You barely touched. I haven't finished too" Mizuo asked.

"stay if you want, but I'm out of here. I'm gonna puke if i stay here any second longer," he said with his eyes obviously shifting to Mirai. Her heart stopped at the instance she got his meaning. That line must have been for her. Thoughts flood her mind, as much as her tears seem to flood her eyes but deliberately held back. But facing the empty seats in front of her which the couple once occupied will open that floodgate. The considerate Hiro took it to heart, "why does he take so good notice of me" Mirai thought to herself when he abruptly stuffed a sushi filled with wasabi in .

"Ahhhh !!! Spicy!!!!" She screamed and the tears she has been controlling so hard because of Ryosuke's harshness, rolled down unstoppably. 

"It is..." He laughed then his next move stunned her. he carefully held his fingers to the tip of her eyes and caught her tears. 

"Hiro~" she choked on her tears. He returned another soft smile and replied in a softer voice, "when i put a huge portion of wasabi in my food, I'll be just like you. It's a wasabi-effect." Mirai knew his intentions, to give her a legitimate excuse to cry. More importantly, he gave her a disguise. 

"Where are you going?" Mirai looked up with her tear bounded eyes when he lifted himself from his seat and motioned away. 

"I'll go off first. I see you on saturday!" Hiro said and left. In normal circumstances, his gesture would have been most un-gentlemanly but this time, she was grateful. He read girls so well, or rather Mirai as he knew she wanted some space to herself. 

"Oh anyway Mirai... Don't take his words to heart. It's meant for me, he doesn't like me anyway," Hiro reappeared and disappeared before she could blink his eyes. He never stopped being nice to her. Unfortunately, Mirai's mind was preoccupied by the other's abrupt behaviour, extreme from the time they spent at Umika's house and the night at the library.

"That boy really affected you, ne~" the lady boss stopped her at the door when she exited with her head down, to hide her reddened eyes. "It's not..." She solemnly said. 

"You're lucky, Shida Mirai... You've got another one to wipe your tears. I see that boy's sincerity and I'm usually not wrong."

"You're wrong this time. His sincerity is for everyone. It's not for me exclusively," Mirai felt ridiculous even with the clarification cause Hiro or Ryosuke, neither will ever be interested in her. It's insane if it ever happens. She's unworthy and undeserving. She can't be more certain. 

When she thought she could reach the stars, she tumbles over and awakes from her dreams. She knew it could be nothing else but dreams, however, she let herself fall into a deadly trap of believing in miracles. When miracles are not meant to be, it becomes hard to bear. It's the last month before the seniors part ways, and there she expects to end on a bad note. Maybe she rather there was no acquaintance, and everything remained status quo. 


*****

Umika POV

I should be starving in hunger right now, after having skipped dinner, but I wasn't. Not even the slightest bit of hunger. I have lost all appetite and it isn't because I was moody or upset. Instead, i felt like my entire body is energised, is rejuvenated, recharged. I touched the tip of my lips with my eyes closed, trying to relive the moments to ascertain it all happened in the most sane of time. There is no way that happened by accident. It was purposeful, it was well-thought out. The suppleness of his lips still lingered in her mind, like as though it was just a minute ago it happened, and it evoked this sense of addiction that made her yearn for more. 

"Is that how a kiss feel like? A drug that feels like marshmallows and tastes like a fruity sweet placed upon your lips" I thought to myself. I laid on my bed and faced the empty celling. It may be empty and unattractive, but today it felt like there was a rainbow hung high above me. she smiled with the feeling of butterflies fluttering around her stomach finally dispersing to circle around her heart, making it light and fuzzy. And warm.

...
"What the hell is wrong with you, Chinen Yuri!" I have never felt as angry in her life. It seemed like the whole anger built up over the past weeks have all erupted together this time. I knew it could possibly be the end of our friendship this time, there's simply no retracting. I forcefully break loose from his firm grip of my wrist, leaving the imprint of his fingers on my not so skinny arm. It showed how hard he was on me. I thought he was seriously going to shout back at me and we will maybe engage in an intense exchange of fire, when he turned around to look into my eyes with such fiery. I did not expect the usual soft and kind Chinen would all of a sudden turn into a violent monster as he pinned me against the wall with his hand cordoning off both sides of me, making it impossible for me to escape. This is nothing near a kabedon as me and Mirai have helplessly fascinated. It was fearful as his eyes, almost bloodshot, pierced into mine like X-Men's cyclops. 

Is it just me or is it that the perpetual distance between us is reducing gradually. My heart was racing so furiously with the enclosed space between us. I could feel and smell his fruity breathe brushing through my senses, igniting all my cells. My hands naturally pressed against his chest, with no where else to protest. "Let me go..." I pounded on it, but that i found did nothing but agitate him further. Was it a lustful monster i released, cause the friend i knew for long suddenly open his other side before my eyes. I was too stunned for a whole minute to put up any resistance when that lips of his engulfed me, both physically and mentally. it may be a mere meeting of 2 organs on our faces, unlike the level of passion and exploding lust I've seen in school from other couples, including Ryosuke's. However, this less provocative kiss was enough to drive my sanity. I found myself too weak to push him away, i was even too weak to move my limbs that my hands slipped down from his chest and dangled on both sides of my gradually-unnerving body. I gripped the tip of his shirt - was that my plea for him not to end.?

When he departed and ended that connection, I felt the immense sense of emptiness. Is he feeling the same? Cause he stared at me but he did not speak. He looks like he is in deep thoughts. I waited patiently for him, cause i am not ready too.

"Sorry if i hurt you." Chinen said with a sad voice. That was not what i wanted to hear. I have enough of apologies; i wanted answers.

"Why?" I asked for reasons. Was it just a moment of reckless; was it because he wanted to punish her; was it something else? There were so many questions I have.

"I didn't want him to take your first." 

"Huh?" I did not expect his answer led to more questions. My first? Him? I do not see the relation. My blank look probably annoyed him cause he raised his voice slightly.

"baka! I just don't want your first kiss to be taken by Hiro! He don't deserve to take that maiden experience from you! "

I don't know how I'm feeling by his words, happy for his considered thoughts? Sad because that was just a considerate thought? I had more questions - so what does this kiss mean?

"But it makes no difference. Either him or you, my first kiss is still taken not out of love," i pushed him away and opened a path for my escape. I walked away from him, still unrecovered from the weakness in my limbs.

"Who said so. I am different from him...." He said from behind. I stopped and turned to him when he paused too long for the continuing line. But when it came, I was in a state of shock. "I am in love with you!"

....

Those words of confession are so surreal. Chinen, the person close to me, yet i was convinced we can't go beyond friendship. I dreamt, just like how Mirai dreamt of Ryosuke, but my dreams turn reality. It has to be. Deep down, i was afraid that when i wake up, it will all still turned out as a dream. Him as my friend, nothing more, nothing less. That insecurity was unbearable, the insomnia isn't helping too.

She grabbed her phone, and pressed those keys. Rang a few times, she expected that he is already asleep.

3AM.

The phone engaged just when she was about to give up. "Chinen?"

"Yes. Umika, you haven't sleep?"

"I can't. You?"

"Me too. But Ryosuke was at my house just now. He just left."

"Heh?! But it's 3AM. Why?

"I don't know. He didn't tell me. But he is definitely unhappy. You know he sees his pride more than anything else, so he isn't gonna tell me anything. Come to think of it, I'm always the one telling him problems but he rarely tells me."

"Yes, he is a good listener but he does look like he wants someone he can share problems with too. Sometimes, he looks..."

"Lonely right? He does. Especially recently. I am guessing it has something to do with his parents."

"Oh how was it. Did he manage to find them? The last you said, he knows where his mother is right?"

"I don't know if he finally found her. He didn't say, but he is not finding them anymore. At least that's what he said."

Sighed. For some reason, our conversation has sidetracked to someone else. Maybe we were both uncertain if we should plunge into a conversation about us. 

"Chinen, am i disturbing your sleep?"

"Not at all. I am glad you called actually. It has been a crazy day, ne Umika"

"Crazy, yes. But not in a bad way for me. You?" I took the risk and ask for a reaffirmation that what he did earlier was in his sane mind and not because of a spell or something.

"Definitely not in a bad way for me. I only hope i never scare you"

"No no no. Chinen... I told you too. I.. Love you as well."

"It's just so surreal to me that our feelings are mutual."

"I feel so too! We were both beating around the bush."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"...." That was the question, should I tell him the truth. "Because I think there're other better girls you are interested in and if I have told you, i was afraid we will not be able to even continue being friends. It'll be too awkward"

I have said it and i was nervous of his response. What would he say? "I had the same considerations. I dont wanna lose this friendship if i failed in my confessions. But i ever told you not to compare with other girls, you have a special position in my heart. This part hasn't changed."

"But... What is it that you like in me? Those other girls are way better."

"If you ask me, it's that affinity, and to me, you are way better than them. You're not pretentious, you're sincere... There's so many i can say about you."

I was so touched, i cried.

"Are you crying?" He probably heard my sniffing sounds, and when I didn't reply, he took it as a yes, and further consoled me. "Don't let me be the one who make you cry all the time. I want to be the one who protects you, ne. And Umika, we have something more serious to discuss..."

I cleared my throat and asked nervously, "what is it?"

"Your kiss with Hiro. I really dislike it. So how are you gonna heal my broken heart?" Chinen said. I could almost imagine him pouting in an adorable way. I chuckled. It's his way to cheer me up, i also knew it was part truth. No one can tolerate their girlfriends kissing another guy, and vice versa.

"I'll heal it," i promised him.

"How?" He sounded excited.

"It's a surprise." I say. I could hear his sigh and that made me feel important. 

I kissed him goodnight over the phone and as soon as the call has ended, i have this urge to call Mirai to share this news. But time flew so fast when we we're chatting that i did not notice it has already past 4AM. 

Nights world, i looked out of my window and into the stars. It has been the best day of my life.

*******
Mirai POV

The voice pounded at the back of my head. It is as unbearable as it can get. I profusely apologised but it didn't seem like my sister is giving it a rest. "It is your turn to cook today, and you decide to be missing in action?! How irresponsible are you?!!" She screamed.

"Sorry. It slipped out of my mind," i said with guilt, remorse, but much more was the mental fatigue. 

"Just sorry?! We were all starving. Otousan is tired from work and he comes home hoping to see a dinner table filled. Yet you kept him waiting. Okasan is tired from housework too."

"What do you want me to do then?" I wasn't thinking right when i returned such a nasty reply. There was no room for regrets cause that sparked off much more.

"What kind of response is that!!! Repent and show remorse, at least!"

"Even if I have work in the evening everyday, i rushed home 4 out of 5 days every week to cook. You are only doing it for a day a week, you can simply cover me for a day!"

"Why should i cover you?!!

"Because you are my sister~ and you are part of the household!" I am not treated one... I don't feel like my existence is necessary, both at home and outside. I felt agitated, but those words I knew should be hidden, or it would bring grave consequences.

"And you are not?!!! Can't believe you are being more rude by the day. Lacking in discipline!" I was afraid, cause it was my father's voice that approached. "one more time i hear you utter such irresponsible words, I'll make sure it hurts for you. GO INTO YOUR ROOM AND SELF-REFLECT!"

"Otousan~" i pleaded.

"GO!" He unforgivingly pointed to my room, and i dragged my feet in with a slouching back. Without turning back, i knew my sister was laughing silently. That was the hard truth of my family. What i uttered was truth but each of them deny that it is happening, that they refuse to admit openly that they hated my birth. Their actions have only showed i was not their daughter, I was their slave. 

I sat beside on my bed with my arms wrapped around my knees, like a kid in seclusion. I was sickened by the fact that no one considered my feelings, and even the incident at dinner was dreadful in itself. Ryosuke was clearly unhappy, and it didnt feel like what Hiro said that he was peeved with him instead. It was me. But what exactly was the trigger? It bothered me more than anything else.

I don't know how long i sat like this, dazing while staring at my phone, wanting to call Umika or Chinen but they have their own problems to handle. Moving my fingers up and down, I couldn't find even a single number that i could call. How detested i am. How awful am i that there is no one i can count on.

Around 3AM, my eyes were already heavy though my intentions to sleep did not come. My mind seemed to have, as i started hearing voices from my phone. I fearful brought it to my ears, and there i heard "moshi moshi?..."

Heh? I am not hearing things. It is someone's voice. I reaffirmed again. "Moshi moshi?!! What is it??!!!" The other voice became annoyed. 

"H-eh??" I spoke out my confusion. Then the other voiced his frustration, "you are the one who called me!" 

I did? I quickly checked the number on my phone which i should have checked initially, and to my horror, it's the last person i would want to offend repeatedly a second time.

"Ryosuke senpai... I .." If i had said that I think I accidentally called your number, it would have sounded really stupid and almost indicate a severe infatuation on my end. I was scrambling for a reason but nothing came to my mind. "Sorry, if i have done anything that got on your nerves" It is politically correct, and it can't go far wrong. But there was no sound coming from the other end. I thought he hung up, but when i checked, our phones are still connected.

"Senpai?"

" You have changed your mind about me, isnt it? You think I ." I was trying to pick up his muffled words, i was also trying to interpret them. I may be a dimwit, cause i cannot understand what he just said. What did he know about how i think of him? What does he mean i changed on that, and why would he think that i thought he ? None of it made sense.

"I don't understand, senpai? What do you mean?"

"..." I could only hear his breathing sound.

"Senpai?"

"Forget it," he still sounded frustrated, though softer. He sighed, i could hear it quite evidently. Before i could ask for more patience to explain what he was trying to say, he added, "anyway, you don't have anything to apologise for. Don't be ridiculous if you are awake in the wee hours of morning not sleeping but calling me over such reasons."

Absentmindedly, i answered, "but... You are angry with me, isn't it?"

"No! I'm angry with myself. Why should it bother you."

"... I don't want to upset anyone..." I began to hate myself for always infuriating people and not know the reason why. It's happening again. 

Has he read my mind? Or did he remember what i said about the whole world hating me. Cause it sounded so when he toned down on his assertiveness and his voice softened, though lethargic, "I'm just very tired from the exams and there's just some other things bothering me. It's not you. Sorry, if I made you feel uncomfortable," he sighed. 

"Is everything alright?" I regretted as I spoke cause he already sounded like i was butting into his life too much. Just cause he shared with me some stuff and said he felt comfortable sharing with me, does not make me his forever soulmate or something. I needed to get this point in my mind. 

"It's fine."

I knew he didn't wanna share anymore. It does not stop me from guessing. Because of studies? Or girlfriend or like what Hiro said, it's directed at him. Or is it his mum?

"Don't be silly, and go to sleep. See you at the musical on Sunday" he said, seemingly in a even lighter mood. He hung up the call before i could say anything, but that was enough for me because he is not refraining from seeing me on Sunday. 

That phone call with a little bit more of tossing and turning, i finally fell asleep only to find that morning came in barely three hours. With my obvious eyebag, i crept out of my house to make my regular delivery and returned home to prepare the breakfast. I stood and waited for my family to wake up. 

I felt outcasted when i saw the three of them pacing out to the dining table together. My supposedly neutral father has taken sides inferring from his averted gaze. 

"Oneesan," i called out after being treated like air by all three. If i had waited for her to respond, the sky will fall, so i proceeded to say, "sorry " with a full bow. I never lifted my head unless my apology was accepted. 

"Forget it," she said. My mother wrapped up the whole episode with a vivid reminder which struck me. "Life is already hard, so don't make things harder. Bear that in mind."

It was how she and the others constantly remind me that i was the sole reason for the hardship. It hurts, nonetheless, i have accepted the fate. It is what i owe them, there's no disputing. I humbly took my seat, quietly munching while the rest of them conversed in laughters as they shared on any exciting things that happened the past days. I would hope someone would ask me too. I have so much to share, but no one to share to. I thought I could try to catch up with Chinen and Umika in school but i have nearly forgotten that the graduating students are excused from school since their finals are over, while Umika is simply too busy to be found. It is just one of those days, i munch on a piece of bread at lunch while sitting at the edge of the rooftop, thinking about stuff. No one knew i was here, no one cared, that was how i sat there for  an hour without anyone noticing. 

*****
It is the day of the musical. Umika peeked through the curtains and saw the hall filling up with audience. She saw her family and waved back in delight before retreating from sight. Behind her smiles was waves of anxiety. This was a larger scale performance that she has yet to try.

"Umika ~" Chinen has propped himself beside her while she had been engrossed in her thoughts. Naturally, they embraced and he cheered for her. There, Mirai saw it for the first time.

"Minna?" She asked, confused about what that hug meant but intuitively it felt nothing like a friendship hug. 

"Mirai~ we forgot to tell you.. We're together."

Forgot? Mirai felt the insult. If friends can be conveniently forgotten, then perhaps the friendship is barely strong. 

" mirai?" Umika asked when she didn't reply after a long pause. This feeling of betrayal flooded Mirai's subconscious mind and suppressed that genuine excitement for them. she could barely muster that smile to congratulate them. "That's great!" It's all she said with a pretentious smile that collapsed the instant she hid her face the other way. She has hoped no one saw it. The unhappiness would have extended if it's not because something else distracted her.

"Have you told him?" Chinen asked anxiously, and it was obvious he wasn't pleased with Umika's subtle shaking of head.

"You haven't?! But the musical is starting soon."

"It's just a few seconds of the entire act, so i think he would be okay to take it out. It shouldn't be an issue" umika said with confidence.

"What do you mean? Take out which part?" Mirai finally got the picture. She asked impatiently as it did not sound as trivial as it is. She was right.

"The kiss" Umika said. Chinen confidently added, "I don't want Umika and him doing that."

"But that's the most important scene isn't it, albeit it's just a few seconds. That's the when the prince kisses passionately for the maiden he loved. That was a promise to fight against odds. It's the crux of this classic" Mirai defended. Though she did not know much about acting, but the classic is a classic for a reason, everyone knows it too well.

"That's professionalism~ i truly applaud such brave alterations" Hiro appeared out of no where, and not only that, Mirai spotted Ryosuke and Mizuo hand-in-hand standing at a blind spot at a corner. Were they there all the while? Mirai thought cause the trio were too engrossed in the conversation that they did not realise there were bystanders. Mirai returned her focus to the midst of the crisis, and she realised it has gone a notch up with Hiro showing a face of anger, that he has not revealed thus far. When a good man turns angry, Mirai knows that's where trouble brews.

"Hiro~ about that... I thought maybe we can negotiate." Umika softly said.

"Negotiate? It is your decision to take it out, so there's no intent to negotiate anyway. Frankly, it's up to you. I'm just a tool on this stage, as i see it." Hiro exclaimed. To describe himself as a tool was too harsh. Mirai knew there's a hidden meaning to his reference, but Umika and Chinen were too concerned about self interest to have realised.

"So, you agree?" Chinen asked.

"I don't have a say... But i am disappointed in both of you. The two of you are aspiring actor and actresses on the stage, yet you guys do not understand the spirit of acting. A kiss on the stage, is part of the conveying of a story of another. An actor actress should the least know how to distinct it from reality. If you can't even do that least, then I don't think you deserved to be on stage. On stage, you are not yourself but the character you are playing, that is the beauty of the stage. a puppet who is enslaved by human feelings cannot be a real actor" Hiro stomped out of the corridor. Mirai looked at the guilt stricken expressions of the two, she said, "I'll talk to him. You two sort it out and prepare for the performance. If it is decided to stick to the original plot, text me, I'll let him know." Mirai ran towards the furious soul.

"Umika~" Chinen wanted to apologise for making the poor girl more anxious than she already is. He could see her holding back her tears. They both loved acting and to be insulted as a poor actor and actress just before a performance was discouraging. Chinen didn't know how to comfort her. "I don't wanna force you. Think about it and I respect your decision. It's your stage"

"Thank you Chii. I'll be at my restroom. I need to think over it myself." Umika left Chinen, alone in profuse sighing and a overloading apologetic feeling. He was surprised by a weight on his shoulder.

"It's you" he said to Ryosuke who has walked towards him. Chinen was too distracted by everything to show enthusiasm in seeing Ryosuke, the latter wasn't expecting any warm welcoming either.

"You know I don't like Hiro, but i have to say I agree with what he said earlier"

"You heard?" Chinen asked with full focus back, wanting to hear what his best friend has to say.

"In the first class from our drama teacher years back, you have already heard the exact points he said. Professionalism is what the issue this time. You can't let your personal feelings cloud your perception. I have done external productions, the director would probably have flared up and blacklist Umika if she had made the same remarks. So I can understand why Hiro is unhappy. The two of you have clearly trampled on his views of the stage and his pursuit of the best for all acts"

Chinen pounded on his nape in frustration, "i knew all that. I don't know why i made such unruly request, and now i got Umika into a mess just before her performance"

"Relax. Hiro is a responsible the person, he won't let the musical fail as long as he is in it. That i can guarantee. I'm not telling you to scare you, I'm just reminding you. That's why serious love is such a troublesome thing, ne" Ryosuke pat his slouching shoulders again and walked off.

"Ah Chinen, another thing. I think you two are not being sensitive to your dear friend's feelings. I know being in love is a big deal for the two of you who have been hiding the mutual feelings for so long, and it being both your first formal relationship, i can understand you two can become blind on your surroundings, but if you don't wanna ruin other things, i suggest you two be more observant. It's a common mistake for lovers who eventually lose their friends and become stuck up in their own world like love is the greatest thing."

"Ryo~" he called out to him but Ryosuke did not stop, moving towards where Hiro went while saying, "leave Hiro to me. I'll see what i can do to salvage the situation"

Chinen, all left alone, pondered more on the advice Ryosuke gave. Initially he couldn't understand what he meant and who he was implying, then it became more obvious that there's one person's feelings that they've neglected even when her face revealed her unhappiness, his subconscious chose to ignore like it didn't matter. Ryosuke was right again, they were too self-centered, he was thought. It's amazing how Ryosuke is the worst person to turn to for advice given his lack of seriousness in his relationships and to put it crudely, his promiscuous approach in relationships, almost one every few months, but he always spot on for problems and his advice is usually most useful.

*****
Mirai POV

I walked into the guest room reserved for male performers and it was empty except one who sat at the couch with his body slouched and his elbow leaned on his knees. His long fingers of his hands covered 3 quarters of his face. He seemed really affected by the request from Umika and Chinen. 

"Hiro, it's Mirai. Can i come in?" I asked politely by the door. Regardless how frustrated, he still answered with a nod and a subtle smile. He revealed himself from behind his hands and leaned back on the couch. He made space for me, so I sat without another word.

"I am sorry I overreacted," Hiro surprised me by apologising first. It shouldn't have been so. 

"No, I should apologise first for their request. It's ridiculous when I heard it too. It's natural you get angry, but can i know why you feel extremely strong on this?" I sought for clarification.

"I'll be frank with you. I am really upset not just about their professionalism but also how they made use of me. When they needed help, I really didn't mind offering my help. That's why when Ryosuke approached me, I said yes as soon as i know i am free to. But now that I'm helping, they disregarded me and treated me like a puppet. Here I'm trying to give my best, but i feel my efforts were really unnecessary. The minimal respect is not there. That feeling is really horrible, you get what i mean."

"I understand how it feels to be taken for granted. It happens so often to me," I couldn't help but feel solemn. I could relate to what he said, and rarely there was such level of connection. Though i am very aware that I experience it at a much greater rate than him. This must be a remote experience for him to warrant such disappointment.

"Mirai ~" he called my name softly, then when i looked up at him, his frown has disappeared and his smile has reappeared. "You're much more brave than me. I should learn from you." He put it in a positive light, really knowing how to make a bad thing sounds better. It, however, reminded me of something similar Ryosuke said. Am i really worthy of such praises or am i really lucky that 2 perfect guys saw the goodness of me that even I can't see it myself.

"Mirai?" He called me again. I must have been in a daze.

"Hiro, please forgive them," I reaffirmed my purpose here, but he instead pat my head softly, shrugging away my concerns.

"I won't let the musical flop. I'm unhappy but I've promised to help so I'll do my part of it." He has a strong conviction about his professionalism and that made him really admirable. A heart throb with principles, that's almost extinct. 

Suddenly, he laughed. 

"Ne?"

"You are so red," he teased. Was i blushing, oh no! I must have been when I was engrossed in my thoughts.

"Ah it's so hot here," i lifted myself from the couch and walked to the high shelf, "just remembered, there's these school memorabilia i can past to you, in appreciation of your help in our musical." I said like was a school spokesperson presenting an award. He chuckled. The mood has lightened. I was glad I helped avert a crisis. 

"CAREFUL!" i heard his shouting. Everything happened so fast. All I remembered was being flung to the side and something heavy fell on top of me, thereafter it was almost like raining objects but whatever that was heavy above me had blocked off most of it. I could see when i tried to lift my head that the metal shelf has fallen over. That should have hurt. Should have, cause i did not feel much. the hasty breathing and soft groaning wasn't from me. The warmth protected me; i was afraid the warmth is from the prince. I tilted my head, horrified to see Hiro has sprawled on top of me, his head leaned beside me. It was exactly the prince that saved the damsel in distress. 

"hiro!!! Are you okay??" I cried, i tried to lift myself up but his load together with the shelf was too heavy. He tried to, i could see, with a cringe on his face. He was obviously in pain that he did not say anything. 

In the silence, i was glad to hear a third voice. "What the? It's crisis after crisis~" the owner of the frantic voice singlehandedly lifted the heavy shelf, "quick, pull yourself and Hiro out from beneath. It's too heavy!" i struggled to follow his instructions, fortunately, Hiro used his own strength to pull himself out too.

"Hiro!" I helped him up, while Ryosuke slowly lowered the metal shelf. I wanted to help him too, but Hiro looked like he was in agony.

"Daijoubu?" I asked frantically. He held his right shoulder in pain, but told me otherwise, "I'm okay." He put on a smile, obviously not wanting me to worry. I can't ignore that bruise beneath his collar, and it seemed humongous. Without putting in much thought, i pry open from his collar and saw a swell stretching up to his shoulder blade. 

"Are you gonna just sit there, hold his hand and panic?" I have forgotten Ryosuke was around. I did not also realise that i had been holding Hiro's hand so tightly too. I quickly pulled back. Ryosuke sounded annoyed when he added, "go and get cold compress"

I rushed to do as he said, my mind was not functional just thinking about how he seemed like he can't move and it's all because of me. I returned with the cold compress and saw that Hiro was on the couch. When he saw me,he stopped his movement as though he did not want to me to see him struggling to move his arms. Ryosuke was sitting opposite him, looking disinterested in his injuries. I was kind of annoyed by his lack of compassion.

I rushed to Hiro and attempted to help him with the cold compress. He however seemed to refuse my help.

"It's okay. I can do it myself."

Ryosuke sniggered in sarcasm as though there was something to mock at, but when I looked at him with raised brows, he responded in his layback self, "so, how. It seemed like you can't move your shoulders without hurting. The musical has a physically demanding portion, isn't it?" It does not sound like a kind reminder, but a brutal remark. It made me more frightened of the success of the musical.

"How?! How how? Im so sorry. It's all because of me," I don't normally cry in front of others but this time I'm really on the verge of breaking.

"Actually.. I.." 

Hiro interrupted Ryosuke. He placed his unhurt arm around my shoulder and he ended up comforting me when it should have been the other way around, "I'm really fine. You see..." He stretched his injured arm with a smile. I felt slightly relieved seeing that. 

"I'll help you. Get away~" Mizuo stomped in, snatched the cold compress then pushed me away. I almost tripped over the metal shelf lying behind me and made a fool of myself, but fortunately, Ryosuke was standing behind me. "Gomenasai~" i urgently apologised. I felt humiliated in the entire situation of my own clumsiness, especially when Ryosuke appeared annoyed when he held me from behind.

"Ryosuke, aren't you staying?" Mizuo sounded like she expected him to accompany her and Hiro but his response was short and unexpectedly cold, "no. I'll be at my seat." I never expect him to turn to me where i was very much frozen since earlier, "are you not coming out? Or are you so unsettled even with his own sister taking care of him"

"I'm okay, Mirai. Don't worry, the performance will be great," Hiro's friendly gesture made me more embarrassed by my own overreaction. Frankly, everyone in the room is make me feel embarrassed of my own clumsiness. I rushed out behind Ryosuke. Again, my clumsiness has caused me to bump right into his back when he stopped.

He sighed. "Can you relax?"

"Senpai... Are you sure he's gonna be okay?"

"Yes." He said with a frustrated tone.

"But~"

"Listen. Hiro is gonna be okay. But you on the other hand is overly concerned for him. You barely know him."

"He is injured because of me" I frantically defended myself. But what he's driving at is making me unsure of myself.

"I'm not just saying the incident now, neither am i saying only about Hiro. I'm just gonna warn you one time, and it depends whether if you understand what I'm saying, cause if i say it in the literal sense, you'll really burst out crying. To put it simply, you may be very kind to everyone, giving your all to help others even if you barely know them...like how you help me the other time, and Hiro and others, but bystanders don't always see it that way. They will only see you as a ... You get my point. These bystanders won't not see you in good light. So be mindful when you go around being nice to everyone"

I don't really understand what he's saying, neither did I want to probe cause he didn't seem keen to explain. I followed as he began walking again.

"Why are you following me? We are seated at different sides isn't it?" Ryosuke sternly said before walking off without me. I felt humiliated... My limbs turn weak that i held on the walls as i moved in the opposite direction. My head throbbed in confusion. I yearned for my friends, whom at the same time confused me on whether they too saw me as their best friends.

****
"Can you be a little more gentler" Hiro grumbled as Mizuo used the cold compress on his bruised skin.

"Why do you have to protect her. Now you hurt yourself. She's really a . Niichan, can you not associate with her? I really hate her"

"Can you not call people names. And I don't have issues with her nor hate her. I don't have to listen to you. I hate Ryosuke too, and I'm not asking you to hate him as well, so you don't come controlling me."

"Niichan... Why must you always speak to me like this. You talk to her differently."

"Cause you don't deserve for me to speak to you kindly. You don't even respect yourself."

"Is it still about that night? I said I'm sorry. I was really sick so i naturally wanted him by my side."

"Then what happened... I already told you nothing of that sort in our house. Do it elsewhere, not at home!"

"Niichan, dont just blame me... I had to claim what's mine, cause your new friend is trying to flirt with the whole world even my boyfriend now my brother. She's not even as pure as you think. Who does she think she is, going around showing that desperation to befriend the guys."

"I believe what i see and i befriend who i want to. You aren't that good at choosing a boyfriend too seeing his countless girlfriends before you, it's a matter of time he shoves you aside."

"Niichan!" Mizuo protested at his assertion. Hiro dressed up his princely top and prepared for the stage as the time approaches. He ignored her and walked out as if all her flaming was air. Soon he saw Umika who appeared all apologetic. 

"Hiro... I ..." 

"Let's just do a good performance, ne?" He smiled to her, as though nothing has happened.

"You're not peeved with me?" Umika looked at him in surprise. Then with his nod, she finally felt relieved. She is prepared for the kiss, especially if it is to be entrusted to a guy like Hiro, kind and considerate, she thought.

Chinen had received the text from Umika that she will go on as the script dictates. He sat on his seat in the audience, with a face of grump. Ryosuke who joined shortly wasnt in the mood to console him. His mind was bothered by what he chanced upon in school the day after exams.

...
Being in school for community work when every other graduating students were celebrating their end of finals, was dreadful. It was a thursday, and he felt so old when he past by the year 3 classes to the teachers' room. 

He heard something between 2 year 3 boys that made him stopped. He saw them  gossiping at a girl in the front, who's none other than Mirai. She looked like she was made by her classmates to carry the heavy load of homework. He wanted to offer his help, except he was more distracted by what the boys were discussing about her.

"What are you two saying? What is it about her?" Ryosuke scared the 2. 

"Ohayou, senpai " they greeted. He waited for them to explain themselves, not giving them a chance to escape. They looked hesitant and that makes him more curious about what they were hiding.

"... The girls are hating her more. they feel she is trying to seduce other guys. They dont like how she's close with Chinen-senpai, spending time with him. Then they said she's targeting Hiro-kun, cause some people saw her outside with him. Then..."

"Then what?"

"The girls say she is shamelessly circling around you too when she should know you are already attached... They call her a very loose girl and wanted to punish her." 

"Stupid." Ryosuke was about to resume his intentions to help her out but the 2 juniors held him back, "senpai, i think you should not help if you don't want to get embroiled too." He held back. He looked at her struggling from behind, feeling sorry at her pitiful state. Was it just what the juniors said that made him hold back? He watched her silently from behind. 

....
"Yes I'm selfish," he convinced himself as he pressed on his temples to ease his troubled mind. Mizuo joined in besides Ryosuke soon before the performance begun; as the lights dimmed, he saw Mirai sitting alone at another corner of the row behind. She looked particularly lonely. His annoyance grew however when he saw her eyes stuck with concern on Hiro when he appeared on stage. He turned away and stared at the musical. Though unknown to him, Mizuo too was annoyed by Ryosuke and she threw a death glance at Mirai.

It went on, really well, though those who knew the lead was injured would have noticed the unbearable face at times. Ryosuke, Mirai and Mizuo are no exceptions.

The highlight came. Everyone held their breathes. Chinen was so nervous, he sat up straight with stiffened body and held his breathe as the moment came. They saw Hiro wrapped his arms around Umika who successfully masked her nervousness with her professionalism. Then he closed in on her, with his head tilting slightly. That was the cue. Chinen's hand clutched in a fist. He dared not blink cause in the next split second, their lips were interlocked. Hiro's hand was on Umika's head, holding her in place. The audience watched in awe and their hearts turn fuzzy by the perfect portrayal of the starcrossed lovers. But Chinen was raging in jealousy.

Ironically, instead of comforting Chinen, both Chinen and Mizuo were surprised to see Ryosuke sniggering. Giving him a look of questions, Ryosuke whispered the reason, "it's a fake kiss. He cannot fool my eyes."