Chapter 18

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

Mirai carried her heavy tummy, dressed in a sweater to make the obvious less so, then stepped into the tensed exam hall. She seated away from her class, in a corner, striving to be transparent. It did help a little with the mask over her face. People who noticed her would properly take a second glance but they would never have guessed it was her. More importantly, she sat down at her seat so quickly, no one could have seen her bulging tummy. The principal gave a subtle nod when their eyes met, that surprisingly led her heart at ease. Her hands reached into her pockets and retrieved the 2 charms she has gotten. One from Hiro, one from Chinen and Umika. Hiro's especially came with a message. She unrolled the small slip of paper and smiled at the words, "smartie girl, relax and you can definitely do it!!!" 

As she penned down her heartfelt essay for her japanese examination, she naturally wrote about her life, exactly the past 2 months. She did not feel a tiny bit angry because she was seriously not short of love. Her friends, both old and new showered her with so much care and concern. They kept her company, so much so that she occasionally forgets her yearning for Ryosuke. As for Hiro, she has grown to accept his kindness. Initially, she tried to refrain from depending on him, cause she was filled with so much guilt. He however constantly assured her that it was okay, that she did find herself beginning to rely on him. There were times she feared she would not get out of it when the time comes, but she was too tired to think of it now. She's grateful how kamisama has taken care of her thus far. Ryosuke is in her distant future, she held on that belief. His voice that night on their last call remained vividly fresh in her mind. In a blink of an eye, there's only a year left before meeting him again and her baby girl is about due. Time really did fly. She rubbed her round tummy which seemed really out of place with her skinny bones and sunken face. Doctor had warned her of the need to consume enough nutrients, and there's no running from her uptight friends. Living under one roof with Hiro means he takes care of almost every aspect of her life too, from her 3 meals and her mandatory rest.

She smiled as she summed up her life in nearly 5 pages essay. She didn't wait for the examiner to announce the end of high school nor go through the natural gathering after the submission of papers, she raised her hand then left quietly, almost as if she did not even exist in that same space as everyone else earlier. That was exactly how she past her high school life anyway, invisible until her crush finally noticed her in his last year and subsequently turned her plain life into a blockbuster movie.

She exited the hall and there where she stood at the edge of the school compound where the shelter ends, a drop of snow floats in the cold. She reached out her finger and felt it on her fingertips. Despite the cold, she felt warm, not just in her heart. She turned to her shoulders, it wasn't just her thin dress, a coat was placed over her. 

"Hiro~" she said casually as this has become a norm rather than exception. Then in her front, was her 2 best friends. Umika ran forward and pulled her into a tight hug. "You did it, silly girl! We all graduated!!!" Both shed tears of joy that rolled down each other's sleeves. It was a consolation of all built up emotions, it was almost as if they were greatly relieved for a huge load off their shoulders, especially Mirai. The 2 guys saw it, and felt the fuzzy feeling running in them that made them smiled irresistibly. 

"Is something wrong?" Hiro asked when he noticed Mirai rubbing her eyes constantly while they walked in the falling snow. 

"My eyes have been twitching the whole day, but i guess i'm just tired."

"It's a bad omen?" umika blurted out simply which Chinen quickly added, "not always the case. It's just that you havent been sleeping well because of the exams. Maybe we should let Mirai first before we head for a good movie?" 

"I agree." Hiro added.

"No, im okay. Lets just go ahead" she said while her eyes continued to twitch. Mirai insisted on walking, precisely because she has been rather lazy in her prenatal exercises during her exam preparation. Luckily for the coat Hiro put on her, she didnt feel cold.

They were laughing to jokes, chatting about anything under the sun, even with teasing. All inhibitions were almost gone at that moment, they played and fooled around like a group of adults who have travelled back to their carefree childhood days. 

It all happened in a split second, like kamisama decided to remind them of reality, slapping them with the struggles they each have, with kinship, friendship and love, and awaiting for the weakest to fall. 

"MIRAI!!!" they ran towards the one lagging behind suddenly, realising she had collapsed on the concrete ground. She was crippled by the intense pain which they figured was from her tummy. Umika touched her bareskin and found her breaking out in cold sweat. Her breathing was hasty. hiro craddled her in his arms, and only then he found something strange. That instance, he tried to make sense of what he had just felt in his fingers. Moistness at his fingertips, even to the extent of dripping wet, he didnt dare take a look. but the smell of fresh blood soon penetrate their noses, followed by Umika's shriek, everyone could finally interpret what had just happened. Hiro tried his best not to tremble, or worst freak out, since he is clearly the oldest in the group. Chinen wasn't much of help. Hiro exclaimed, "grab a cab, we have to go hospital straight. There's no time to lose!"

"R-ryosuke~" she murmured. Hiro felt like he was hit by a blunt object right into the core of his heart. He clenched his fist and held in his own unhappiness.

They continuously called her name as they rushed to the hospital, they were afraid she lose her consciousness. Hiro never let go of her, the rest could see how immensely worried he was for her. He secured her in his arms, carried her through the hospital's emergency unit. she slipped in and out of consciousness, eventually unable to pry open her eyes. Hiro felt her hands turn cold, her forehead breaking out in cold sweat, her breathing hasty. Before the nurses pushed her into the ops room, he brought himself close to her and whispered in her ears "i love you Mirai. Let me watch over you" he softly imprinted his lips upon hers, and that moment lasted a mere split second, but it was enough to calm his nervous breakdown. He let go of her hands, dropping to the sides of the mobile bed, and she disappeared behind the door as she was wheeled in the cold room. 

Yet, for Umika and Chinen, they were very much taken aback by Hiro's first attack against Ryosuke out of love. They looked at each other in a state of loss, thinking it was right to steal a kiss from her at her most vulnerable state. However, such concerns seem trivial when the mood began to turn more intense as the more than one doctor, possibly about 3-4 of them, rushed into the ops room where Mirai is. "Whats happening?" Umika held onto her tears as she nervously asked Chinen who stood beside her all the time. The latter asked the last doctor before he stomped into the ops room but all he said did not help ease their anxiety, "she is in a critical condition. It's best you contact the baby's father. We will need to know who's life to secure should there be any danger to both mother and child" then he rushed in without explaining more. All turned to look at Chinen who is most likely to have Ryosuke's number. 

"He changed his number i think."

"WHAT?!" Hiro and Umika exclaimed in frustration.

"Don't look at me like that. He said it was Mirai's suggestion so he could concentrate at work. Your sister is to be blamed. She is the bane of their lives."

"You~!"

A fight almost broke out between them both, but Umika managed to pull them off with angry stares thrown at them from the nurses.

"It's not the time to fight!" She sternly reprimanded, then turned back to Chinen and asked, "there's no way of reaching him. I think he has to know now."

"..." Chinen thought deeply, rummaging through his memory and a eureka moment emerged. "Ah! He said we could call this number through you if there's an emergency" he looked through his phone and read out the number.

"Who's number is that?" Umika asked.

"... It's Mizuo's!" Hiro remembered suddenly. He searched his contact list and dialled the number immediately, it rang awhile, but strangely, the operator's voice was heard eventually, "the phone number you just dialled is not available"

The three was discouraged and frustrated. There was no way to reach the other side. When the nurse returned from the ops room, they still weren't able to get an answer, except one...

"Mother. Save the mother!" Hiro answered confidently albeit with agitation. 

"Hiro~" Umika interrupted.

"Nothing is more important than Mirai right? I know she will want to save the innocent life, but there's just no way we will leave her to die! Anyway, what difference does it make, the child's father doesn't even know her existence. Her life can go on, better still, restart.!" 

Regardless how emotional Hiro was when he uttered those seemingly harsh words, it strikes Umika and Chinen that they did get their priorities wrong. Life can go on well even without Ryosuke, without the child; Mirai's life is what's important. Once the nurse took the message and re-entered the ops room, Hiro clenched his fist as if to hold in whatever energies he has with him. Hiro collapsed onto the bench where a good glimpse of the operations theatre is within sight. He finally led his guard loose, laying his head low in great distress. In his mind, one question repeats, "You asked me many times why i loved you, but frankly, I couldn't really pinpoint why too. It's just a magical spark that makes me want to protect you." He held on to the faith that everything will be alright. 

That faith was shared by the other 2 who sat side by side on the opposite bench. Umika didnt release her fingers from the tip of skirt, twirling it nervously as though the sky is about to collapse. Chinen couldnt simply watch, he grabbed those nervous hands and gave it a light squeeze. He gave her a light smile, which almost seemed like him telling her that everything will be okay. He pulled her closer, and let her lean onto his shoulders. Then, she laid, dazing into space with her hand tangled with his in harmony. both hearts comforted each other while silently praying their best friend's safety. 

No news is good, however for them, the long wait is nerve-wrecking. Its definitely easier said than actually be experienced. It eventually drained them so much that Umika and Chinen fell asleep in each other's arms after a 12hours wait. Hiro was the only one who remained awake, with his  whole self in a daze. No one knows for sure what does destiny have in plans for them. Only time would tell. But whats certain is that all their lives, entwined together, would face changes they never imagined.

****

Mirai POV

Visibility was poor, navigation was impossible. Not with the tall trees blocking out most of the sunlight, leaving only few streams of light that barely illuminate my path. spiky twigs and branches prick and break my skin, with blood oozing out from the abrasions. Donned in a white night gown, which i did not remember myself in, i tried to move forward into the dark forest. It got deeper and more difficult to penetrate, but i had to get to the source of light that touched the earth. I could see it right in front of my eyes, yet it was impossible to reach. And finally, i made a hard fall, as i tripped over a huge overgrown root that protrude from the mud. 

"Itaiii!" There was a burning sensation in my forearms as i break the fall. I looked at my palms which was badly scraped. I tried to pull myself together but to no avail. My leg was immobilised, with my knee swollen from the fracture. I held back my tears as i fight the desperation. When all hopes seem lost, things got even worst. A hissing sound vibrated in my ears, and send shivers down my spine. It could only mean one thing, "it can't be... Snake?!" I slowly looked around, and to my horror, an anaconda was slithering towards me. It was twice the size of my arms. I wanted to let out a scream but cupped my mouth intensely and refused to let a sound lead the snake to me. Quivering in cold sweat, i crouched together and pushed myself backwards until i was blocked by the tree. I have no way to run, not with my leg hurting so badly. The anaconda raised itself above me, bellowing its gaze at me. Its shadow drowned me then it opened his enormous mouth. It was so big I could see deep inside its throat. This time, i screamed so loudly, that if there was a window, it would have shattered. Then suddenly, something or someone jumped out of nowhere, pushing the anaconda away from me, plummeting to the ground with it. It was literally like a game of wrestling. While in a state of confusion, i took a closer glimpse and saw who i never expected. He should have been in US?!

"Ryosuke?!" 

"Run! Towards the hut" He shouted back as he caught a glimpse of me, seemingly ensuring i am not hurt from the anaconda. Unfortunately, i couldn't move an inch.

"I cant~ my leg"

I saw him grabbed a stick from his reach and stabbed it hard through its head. The anaconda struggled, and there he sprinted towards me, and lifted me by my shoulders. In a moment, i was leaning onto him, trying my best to move alongside him with his one arm around my waist, supporting me, and my arm wrapped around his neck. Sweat trickled down his forehead. It was cold too. I observed him from the sides of my eyes as soon as i noticed something amiss from his expression. He was in distress, no he was struggling too, panting hard. I looked down and saw that his shirt was soaked with blood. 

"Ryosuke, you're hurt?!!!"

"I'm fine. Once we're in the hut, the anaconda cant get in. We can buy some time and think of ways to escape this damned forest."

I took a peek behind and saw the anaconda miraculously still alive, slithering towards us albeit seriously injured. There was no energy left in neither him nor me to clarify our doubts, but one thing for sure is that he must be convinced too that the stream of light that shines through the hut is the key to our salvation. I followed, trying not to be a burden. Finally, we threw ourselves into the hut, then he leaped forwards to shut the door, pushing furnitures behind it for double protection.

He finally let himself crashed onto the ground. It wasnt merely exhaustion when i get to him. He was in pain. I took a closer look at him, and to my horror, I realised he was in a worst shape than me. He was grabbing his head intensely, then I noticed it wasnt merely sweat that trickled down his forehead. It was blood.

"Ryosuke!!! You are seriously injured! Why didn't you say?!" I sat closer to him, while his head is lowered, in great agony. I didn't no how else to help with no resources available to ease his pain. I never felt so little, so helpless, so burdensome. I only bothered my own pain, instead of giving that little consideration to my companion and saviour. My selfishness has probably contributed to his agony too. I cried in shame, as if that's the only thing i could do.

"Baka, dont cry. It's not your fault." He gathered his energy and held me by my face. " im okay. I need you to calm down okay?"

I nodded. 

"Good. If you do want to help, i need you to do me a favour."

He ripped the tip of his white shirt then handed it to me. "Help me bandage my head." He lowered his head towards me. I took a deep breathe, but it didnt seem to help calm myself down. But he lifted his head slightly and look me in the eyes, grabbing my wrist. Though he didnt speak at all, he conveyed to me a great sense of trust. I focused myself on his head, swiftly located the injury. It seemed to be hit my a blunt object and the wound did appear really bad. It was still oozing blood. I quickly bandaged him as i was told, then tried examining the rest of him. Naturally I reached beneath his blood stained shirt, touching his bareskin with great concern. I went deeper and deeper in, getting the feeling that im near to the other source of his agony. 

He grabbed my hand, preventing me from going further. "That is okay" he gestured me towards the wall, then we ended up leaning against it. Finally at ease, he asked, "How did you get here?"

"I don't know. I only remembered going out with Chinen and the rest...i am more surprised to see you back in japan? When did you?"

"...I didnt..." Fear ran down our spine as we uncovered more fearful revelation.

"It can't be just a dream? Cause it's hurting so bad i thought I might just collapse and die here," Ryosuke analysed, and the harder he did, the more painful his head throbbed. I could sense it. I gave a light squeeze in his arms then told him, "whatever it is, we have got each other now. Im sure we can find a way out of this." We exchanged deep smiles, then he leaned forward to give me a affectionate kiss i longed so much. It seemed so surreal. Everything. 

"The light!" I noticed it beaming through the hut at the other side. "I think if we get to it, it'll help us find some answers about this place or even help us get out of here."

"What light?" He asked, appearing entirely lost from what I said. I pointed to the light, yet he didn't seem to get it.

"Okasan...come over." In a distance, i saw another girl, dressed in a gown similar to mine, stretching her tiny hands out.

"Who is she? And what's the light you are talking about?!" Ryosuke began to sound frustrated. I couldn't understand why he didn't seem to be able to see that descending light, and on top of it, i can't comprehend who the girl was and what she meant. I took a glimpse of her as she got closer, then it shocked me when i saw the striking resemblance of her and Ryosuke. Her small hands came on to grab me.

"Mirai? Who is she?" He asked in a flustered state.

"Ryosuke, i think she's... There's something I didn't tell you, she's ..." I was stuttering, very much because this really isnt the best time to break a news so heavy. It no longer is an option as the little girl seemed to have such a strong force that pulled me towards the blinding light.

"Ryosuke!!!!" I held onto his hand, not letting go, pulling him along with me, but once we reach the light, i began to lose grip. The little girl brought me to ascend that stream of light, Ryosuke didn't seem to defy gravity the way we did. He remained on the ground. I gripped him hard, shouting his name, and he did likewise.

"Mirai!!! Dont leave me alone here!"

"I wont!" I struggled to maintain my grip as i floated up. We were losing that grip, up till a point that we were only holding on to each other with our fingers. I saw that same tears of loneliness in the corner of his eyes, and then my heart felt a ton, filled with a sense of immense guilt that i have betrayed him, left him stranded I desperation. I lied, helplessly. My fingers could no longer hold on, we were pulled apart by that selective force of gravity that refused to pick him up, and right before i lose complete sight of him in that blinding light, i saw him collapsed, motionlessly in a   crouching position. I shouted for him to wake up, but my voice seemed to be absorbed into the vacuum of space, unable to be conveyed. 

There were so many so many questions in my mind... 

When i pried open my eyes again, the world before me spun furiously. I thought the answers would probably reveal itself to me; I expected to see Ryosuke by my side; I expected so much. Yet it seemed i did not have answers, but more questions, overloading my head. I wondered if there were even answers.

Perhaps, there really isn't.

That forest, was it a reflection of our biggest fears that we never dare face? Was it the painful truth we never once accept? The perseverance that will never see light no matter how hard we try? The affinity that will bring us further apart?

At the end of the second year, on a certain day in the falling maple leaves, the answers began revealing itself to me. 

The third autumn came and go.

The fourth autumn, the fifth, the sixth, the seventh.
 
I finally knew what it meant... I had the answers in me, all these while. They all did. Except me

And him.

I looked up above, into the sky without stars... With the forlorn heart that may never beat again, i spoke, 

"how are you? it has been seven years. Coming Christmas, is it another romantic date for you? You will hold the hand of the girl you love, sit on the ferris wheel that goes into the clouds. It'll be freezing for the girl, but you'll wrap her up in your warmth comfort, and the cold wouldn't matter anymore. You're happy, she's happy too... Merry Christmas, Ryosuke" 

*****

Sorry for the late post. Hope everyone likes the latest chapter. The story has gone into a new timeframe if you realise. Hope for your continued interest and hopefully your comments on what you think would happen in part 2 or even what you like to see in part 2 of the story..