Chapter 10

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

The other one, was equally shagged. Even after a long nap in the afternoon, he hasn't quite recovered from the fatigue. This has definitely gonna be the most tiring experience he had amongst the many. There were so many things he has to take care of with her, and it is probably the cause of his exhaustion. He soaked himself in his bathtub, eyes shut, his mind blank. He lost his perception of time since none of that matters. If it wasn't because he heard his doorbell rang over and over, that he was forced to wake up and dragged himself out of the tub. Wrapped in a bathrobe, and briefly dried his hair, he walked towards his door to receive the persistent visitor. Right when he opened his door, the 'visitor' threw her weight over him, her arms refusing to let go from his torso.

"Mizuo~ let go," he tried to release himself from her suffocating grip, but she only became more provocative. shutting the door behind them, she pushed him further into his house, until his back hit the edge of his sofa, then forced a kiss upon his lips. This kiss was,for the first time, dreadful for him. Despite his struggles, Still she refused to let go, leaving him no choice but to assume the dominating role. He did not want to hurt her at first so he did not use all of his strength to push her away, but now he did. She held onto a furniture as she was flung a few inches backwards. "I already told you to let go. I'm really not in the mood today. I'm tired, so let's talk another day." He tided his bathrobe, which revealed his masculine contours of his chest, almost ripped apart by his angsty girlfriend.

"If we don't talk today, we may really end up separated. I wanna salvage this, please" she begged as she shook him by his arms. Her mind has been uneasy since he began to give her a cold shoulder when he found out she's behind Mirai's last bullying. This unfounded uneasiness became worst when he did not turn up to the graduation ceremony. It seemed to her he did all these to avoid her. 

His hostile, can't-be-bothered attitude made her more anxious when he exclaimed, "so what if we are separated. It's not your first time breaking up with someone, not me either."

She thought it sounded like a hint. "What do you mean?" She regretted asking for clarification. When he did not answer, she became even more hysteric. She became certain why he chose silence, cause silence means consent.

"It's exactly what i mean. Lets break up" he said seriously at this point. At the same time, she shouted with her hands cupped on her ears, "no no . I dont wanna hear! I cant hear anything! La la la"

He sighed. His Annoyance turned gentle as he saw her tears in the midst of her hysteria. He soften his approach and brought his hands to hers. He carefully pry open to her ears and said with a softer, mellow tone, "it's not that i am so furious with you that i wanna break up. It's more like the two of us are just too similar in many ways that being together will not exactly work out."

"If we are similar, then thats ideal, isnt it?"

"No, you dont understand. Just like your brother said, we are both aimless people, we dont even know what we want in life. All we ever want is someone's companionship, and we just happen to find each other. Putting two aimless people together, aint going do you any good. I will end up putting you through unnecessary heartbreaks and financial burdens."

"No, you wont. The multinational modelling firm i told you about, its gonna get you so much money and a famed career"

"Thank you for that introduction with its director, but i've declined his offer."

"WHY? Just cause i am the one who introduced you? It's not like that, the director truly admired your previous works. He really wanted to groom you to be the next top model of japan"

"To answer your doubts, i am not declining the offer because i did not have faith in the sincerity of the offer. I know you helped me alot on this, and i appreciated that, but it has never been my wish to earn through my face. I dont want to be (in my mother's footsteps)" he swallowed his words. 

"Whats wrong with earning using your face. Thats our entitlement, thats what puts us above others."

"Thats not my passion. I want to do something with my bare hands. I will start from the bottom even if it means hardship. I might as well tell you, i have done part time job at a construction site before, so it's not impossible for me to pursue any hard labour career."

Mizuo was honestly taken aback by his revelation, yet she wished not to concede defeat. "You graduated successfully, so i am sure you can get a job as a salaryman easily. I'll be by your side, regardless," she clinged onto his arms.

He looked at her and let out a light laughter, "i know you well, Mizuo. You wont be able to date a guy who's anything less than a manager if we're talking about salaryman. There would be nothing for you to flaunt. So we're better off separated."

"Noo... Ryosuke... There's someone else you like is it?"

"This, you should know better that I hate girls who are clingy. Dont question about my life."

"Ryosuke~" she hugged him tightly, unwilling to let go, to no avail. he is not entirely heartless, he parted slightly and left a soft kiss on her forehead, "you're the longest girlfriend i've had, but we're just too alike when it comes to how we see dignity and prestige that we may end up hurting each other sooner or later. I wish you all the best with looking for the love of your life. All the best, Mizuo!" He ushered her out, with his hands pushing from her sunken shoulders. He could hear her cries even after he shut the door, separating them both. She continuously pound on his door and he could even hear her words of denial that none of that earlier took place. She shouted that she will look for him again once he has calmed down. He pressed upon his temples and sighed to himself that her persistent is unnecessary.

With his damped hair, he laid on his bed, with arms spread out in relaxation. He dazed at the celling and mumbled to himself, "back to being a single. How long would it take for me before becoming coupled up again" there are indeed fond memories with Mizuo and as he shut his eyes for the night, each of these memories got relived in his mind, leaving him in a state of bittersweetness.


****

There is simply no secrets in the compound of the school. News of the breakup between Ryosuke and Mizuo spread across the school like wildfire. It is too late a news for the girls since Ryosuke has already graduated and there wont be ready access to him for a confession. As for Mizuo, the breakup has opened a floodgate for guys who have a crush on her. However, she didnt seem interested in any. 

This breakup, affected the third person, very badly. She brood over it, day and night, 1 day since she found out about it. Deliberating hard if she should contact him, she held her phone with her fingers hovering around his contact. The guilt that the breakup between the couple was because of her couldnt go away, especially when its occurred so timely with the night's secret. The distracted Mirai let herself be dragged out by Umika who clinged onto her and happily paced out of the school with the ringing of the school bell. No matter what Umika seem to be saying to her, she couldnt concentrate, but the oblivious Umika continued. It is only when she hollered a name that took her by surprise, "Ryosuke senpai!"

"Heh?!" Mirai fumbled cause she never expected to bump into him so soon. It is awkward especially after that night, along with the guilt of ruining his relationship with Mizuo. She could literally dug up a hole and bury herself inside. Running away from the scene isnt an option, since Umika is still unconsciously clinging onto her and dragging her across the field to where he is. 

"Umika?" He seemed equally surprised, but his eyes was more interested in the timid one hiding behind her. 

"Ryosuke senpai, why are you here?" Umika asked.

"To collect my graduation certificate. For a second, i thought you're another one of the girls who are gonna confess to me or something."

"Nandayo, senpai~" Umika lightly punched Ryosuke's arm. mirai was pleasantly surprise by how Umika has gotten a whole lot natural with Ryosuke after becoming attached with Chinen. "But that's really quite alot," she pointed to the bag of letters sticking out.

"Yes it is, unfortunately."

"But you and Mizuo, really broke up?"

He chuckled while returning a subtle nod. Then Umika had to quench her curiousity by asking more, "why? It happened so suddenly. Did something happen?"

Ryosuke, at this time, was looking at Mirai. The latter avoided his gaze and was particularly nervous that his answer might be somewhat related to her. It has to be, she thought. He smirked then replied, "well well, its for me to know, for you to find out."

"But~" Umika wanted to press for more answer, but Mirai gave her an elbow jerk and mumbled, "too intrusive" as she reminded Umika.

Umika was embarrassed by her loss of track on her questions, so quickly manuvered around with something she just remembered, "happy birthday, senpai!"

"Ah, yes its my birthday. I dont celebrate so i didnt realise it is. Thanks for the thoughts," he said to Umika. He awaited for the other to say something but she did not. Her eyes were blatantly shunning from his, and that reminded him of what he told her about not being able to go beyond what happened that night. What he didnt know was her feeling of guilt towards the couple which she insisted was loving. He feigned ignorant of her presence and bidded farewell to Umika. He did not care giving her an additional glance, but when he did turn around after he exited the gate, he did not expect the 2 girls to have splitted ways. He grew curious, though the reasons for curiosity remains a mystery too, where she was heading. It is neither the way home nor to the restaurant. As much as he wanted to think she has a life out there, he cannot guess who she's meeting nor what business she has elsewhere. Moreover, she was acting immensely suspicious, turning back and sides, as if she was avoiding someone. He tailed her from behind, as she headed to the train station and alighted at Shinjuku.

"Heh?" He became even more suspicious of her. What business does she have here alone. The route she is taking, however was oddly familiar to him. He became nervous as she took the same turns, the same alleyways, approaching the same remoteness into the area of social discriminate. 

She moved deeper into the shady Kabuki street, that he thought he'll never come again, and it all became clear where her destination was. Yet the reason is unclear. He hid behind a pillar, as he watched the drama unravel itself before his eyes, and very much caused a mix emotion within himself. 

There, she hovered around one of the entrance to the multilevel apartment. She stopped a lady in the path and she asked, "i'm looking for..."

Ryosuke's jawdropped when he heard that dreadful name. He was furious yet curious too, and wouldnt mind suppressing those emotions to see what Mirai is up to. It took a while before another lady walked over to her, in lethargia. Ryosuke could see  and hear the whole scene clearly, so he absorbed every bit of it.

"Who are you? And what do you want?" 

"I'm a friend of Yamada Ryosuke," Mirai said to the lady.

"Who?" The lady replied, almost obnoxious, and was putting zero effort in trying to remember who it was.

Surprised and disgusted, mirai cleared her doubts, "he's your son."

It was a whole second before she was enlightened, but she had to respond in sarcasm, "ah, my son... My handsome boy ne. So what does he want now?"

"C-could you call him and wish him happy birthday? It's his birthday today and he'll feel really happy if you say it to him."

She laughed hysterically like mirai just cracked a joke. When her laughter stopped abruptly, she uttered sarcastically, "why should i?"

"You're his mother. Please, It wont take time. I can call now and all you need to do is to say that 2 words. Oh, and if you really dont wanna talk on the phone, you can message him. Here, this is his number" she handed the lady his number. She took the number and examined a while, then smirked and crushed the slip into her pockets.

"I have no one second to lose. And i've told him that i will not be his mother... Well, unless he is willing to work for me as a pimp."

"Please... There's nothing thicker than blood." She begged with her hands desperately trying to hold the lady back as she moved away. It irritated the lady much, she turned to mirai and threw her a death stare before flinging her so hard she lost her balance and fell onto the hard ground. Looking down at her without any sense of guilt and compassion, she said to the poor school girl, "you are probably his girlfriend the way i see it. An annoying persistent one. Listen, i dont care he asked you to come beg me or you did it yourself, just shut up and leave. I have no intentions to acknowledge this son, so just tell him to stop trying. I wouldnt have given birth to him or anyone for that matter. His birth is a mistake so dont force me to say it again!"

Mirai was more stunned than think of herself. The lady has left, and now she's alone, still on the ground. Her heart cringed to hear those cruel words said indirectly to Ryosuke, and cant help to think how hurt he will be if he heard all of that. Her own safety was shoved aside, and it only became a concern when she realised there were many male patrons watching her all along the alley way. She stood up, navigating her way towards the opening of the narrow alley, clumsily. She bumped left and right into those intimidating figures as she tried to make her way. Her fear was unlimited. Just when she is almost at the opening, she saw the person she least wanted to meet, much more than the patrons around her. 

"Ryosuke?" She fearfully spoke his name. He did not respond, he only maintained a death glance and looked over her to the male patrons around. He seemed to be announcing his ownership over Mirai when he led his arms onto her shoulders, pulling her closer. Mirai secretly thought that he may even so angry with her that he could strangle her with his arms. Then once they are out of Kabuki Street, he pinned her against the wall, with his emotionless expression and his angry eyes that made her consistently tremble. There's no rebuttals justifiable in this situation. She knew she has interfered too much, obviously forgetting that she is a nobody to into his matters and that she is the cause of the breakup. 

"Sorry... Really sorry! I..." She said. He frustratedly released her, turning his back against her when she bowed apologetically. 

******

"Stop drinking! You'll hurt your stomach at this rate!" Hiro snatched the beer from Mizuo's hands. The latter persisted to grab the other cans of beer, and it literally drove Hiro insane such that he gave his most stern shouting, giving her a quite a stun. 

"Ill-treating yourself over a guy unworthy of you in the first place is just stupid! He's just not worth your time and tears." He grabbed her by her shoulders as they sat on the ground with the coffeetable filled with empty beer cans and couple photos of her and Ryosuke. Their house was reeking of the alcohol smell that Hiro who just returned home from outside could not choose to ignore. He wasnt just angry with her, he was heartbroken to see her in such a depressing state. It was frankly the first time he sees her in this sorrowful state.

She tried to calm herself down but it only led to her outburst of emotions, "WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO."

Taken aback, he replied with the same tone of agitation, "YOU ARE MY SISTER!"

"So? That doesnt give you the rights to discipline me! You are not even here when i needed you. The day you departed from this house and left me alone, you dont expect me to listen to you anymore."

Hiro was so shocked by her revelation but gradually realised himself that what she said was residing within him all this while. That guilt, that remorse towards her. Now it becomes not just a fragment his feelings, instead feelings that become reality. If he had internalised these thoughts, it wouldnt have hurt so much now that he hears her say this. However, he now realise that it's perhaps because a part of him held onto that spark of hope that Mizuo would not blame her brother. He was dead wrong.

"You're right. I dont even deserve to be your brother," Hiro lowered his head in acknowledgement of the disappointment with himself. He took a can of beer himself and gulped down the entire in a breathe. There beside him, Mizuo cried while drowning herself in more alcohol. He could hear her mumbling, "i really love him... I thought i can change the way he sees love. I wont give up."

"How good is Ryosuke?" Hiro asked, hoping to understand him more without his personal bias against him. He thought he could try to realise why girls seemed infatuated with a playboy like him.

"He's everything i need. Albeit he is like what you said, not serious about most things, about life, love and all, he cares for me when i needed it. It wasnt pretentious, i can feel his sincerity even if it is for that moment alone. You are worst so you dont have the rights to put him down."

Hiro remained silent. For a while, no one spoke further. He reflected and thought perhaps he is worst than Ryosuke cause he isnt even there when his own sister needed his companionship. Even if Ryosuke at any one point is toying with her feelings, he did give his companionship. His eyes shifted to her phone placed on the table, and the display photo was glaring at him. Mizuo was serious for him. That, he was certain.

Before he could react, Mizuo dashed to the toilet and threw up. Hiro rushed after and bent down behind her, lightly patting her back, trying to soothen down the discomfort. She cried while she fought the terrible withdrawal of the alcohol. Her limbs weakened, crippling onto the ground like she almost past out. Hiro scooped her up from the ground easily, then in cradle-style, he brought her to her bed and placed her down carefully. He tugged her to bed with the blanket pulled over her tense body. Just when he was about to prepare a tub of water and a towel in attempt to reduce heat flush, he heard something unbelievable from her soft murmur, "Niichan... Gomenasai..." He turned back to her, and in a greater disbelief, he saw a teardrop rolled down from the corner of her eyes. He caught those fallen tears then tenderly brushed her fringe, revealing the saddened face beneath.

"I'll be here for you. I promise." 

He looked at her baby sister, tending to her heat flush, throughout the night. To him, it wasnt a chore, it was much more a love of a brother to a sister, a feeling that was dormant for a long time. He was appreciative of that opportunity to be given the chance to make up for his mistakes.

****

Mirai was in such anxiety that soon she broke down in tears while holding him by his arms and begging profusely for his forgiveness, admitting the mistakes that went into this dramatic twist of events. "I know, im a busybody, i have no rights to meddle in your personal lives. I have forgotten my own position, i have forgotten who i am. I am really sorry, i just wanted to help"

"How are you going to help?! You call that helping?! You know what, you ruined everything for me. And as you correctly pointed out, WHY DID YOU TAKE MATTERS INTO YOUR HANDS? I hate people who think that they understand me, the fact you dont. Just cause i share stuff with you does not mean you know me!" He was in such rage that he stomped off. At the corner of his eyes, he saw her collapsed the ground, on her knees, crying with her face buried within her palms. He stopped, reaching out to his heart as it cringed. He shut his eyes in all solemness and annoyance then turned back to her. Speaking down to her, he said, "i might as well tell you. I never wanted even a birthday wish from her, in fact, i dont even have her in any of my rare birthday wishes. These weeks since i found her, i realise that she doesnt want me in her life, and so i have accepted that. I will not ever beg for her to change her mind. Not now, not ever."

"B-but... Kinship?" She did not manage to finish what she had to say, but he already knew what she is intending to convey.

"Kinship is just a fallacy. I dont see it in you, nor me, neither does Hiro and Mizuo have it. In this world, there's only the individual and its selfish hedonistic desires."

Mirai couldnt immediately disagree, instead she was dumbfounded cause what he said was something she was trying to convince herself otherwise. The delusion that everything is okay as long as she believed, was becoming difficult to construct, and now that he exposed her struggling conviction, she felt that her world was crumbling. Her tears dried and her face was blank.

"How, feeling hopeless? Hardwork doesnt pay off. You know better. You try to hard to stay invisible so that others will never find fault with you. Guess what, the outcome is everyone hates you. So stop living in that world where everything will eventually be alright. Really, this world is quite the opposite. And birthdays, to commemorate the day you are brought into this world, can only be the most hated day of our lives, cause it is the beginning of sufferings, and for you your families' sufferings too." He continued to torment her. He saw her silent tears, he saw her suppressed cries, he saw her unspoken words. 

Suddenly, he bent down facing her, "my birthday wish is actually something else. It hasnt been fulfilled. Since you wanna help, and now that you owe me more than an apology, you have to fulfil it for me." 

"Heh?" Before she could clarify further, she was pulled forward on her feets by the force from the wrist grab. It was firm, yet careful, and the heat that radiated from the bracing of skins, was just right to keep her traumatised heart warm and cosy. It was such an amazing conflict of emotions between fear and relieved. 

Probably confusion.

A ride in a crowded bus, with kids of all ages, some with their parents, some with their friends, all dressed with kawaii accessories. She should have guessed sooner, that they were heading to none other than disneyland. He led her into the mickey theme monorail. At no point, did he removed his grip from her wrist. But instead of the initial tension, it seemed he was gradually letting down his guard, occasionally smiling to the sights and sounds from the excitement surrounding. And so she saw, leaving a fuzzy feeling in her heartstrings. Gradually, she too let her guard loose, as he pulled her towards the entrance. It was too soon for relief, cause when he dropped his grip, her feeling dropped as well. He moved off without any explanation, leaving her in confusion that grew more overtime.

Stranded?

He is back just as she thought she was abandoned. Her look of lost was probably too obvious, "why do you look so lost. Lets go" he said so, but being utterly confused she stood frozen. When he noticed she wasnt following, he turned to see her blur expression. 

"I thought it's self explanatory. This is how you are gonna make it up to me."

"Disneyland?" Mirai felt it's too good a deal to be true. It isnt punishment at all if she's gonna have a great fun with her crush.

"There's so much to do. If we continue to talk here, we wont be able to catch the scheduled performances." He grabbed her wrist again and dragged her to the entrance. She smiled widely to herself when he saw the no longer uptight Ryosuke. He was so scary awhile ago that what it is now seemed like was a relief. He was exhilarated as her so she thought this was also the very few times he has came. Fortunately, it wasnt awkward at any one time. He made her take rides after another. More surprisingly, he turned paler after every roller coaster. 

"Ryosuke, you okay?"

He nodded, "roller coaster is just not my thing."

"Then we can take other stuff, we dont have to take roller coasters" mirai felt amused by the out of sync between his actions and mind. She thought he meant to punish her with the rides, but it seemed like he was more affected.

"We'll take all the rides. Anyway thats the last of roller coasters, we can go for the slow rides now" he genuinely appeared relieved by now, though she really does not understand why he is pushing himself.

It's partly a pity, partly a waste cause there wasnt much of a queue on a weekday, so there wasnt much idle time to talk face-to-face. That is if she found the courage to do so. Ryosuke hasnt been giving much attention, engrossed with the attractions around. Mirai could see many couples, and unconsciously she pouted. He secretly kept that in mind but did not reciprocate. He found it quite amusing whenever she is shy or jealous. He rubbed on his nose to hide his chuckle.

"Come, we'll go for that," he walked forward towards the haunted mansion ride.

"Heh?!! Can we not?" She voiced her unwillingness but of course it did not stop him. He continued on and she has no choice but follow. When it was their turn, he requested, "we'll have the front seats" Her eyes widened, she was very much dumbfounded. The next instance she regained her senses, she was pushed into the front carrier for two. There was no separator in the middle of the seats, so it was technically their first ride together, side by side, with skins brushing each other. Oh well, maybe it wasnt that close.

As they settled in and awaited for the ride to start, mirai asked, "what were you talking to you the staff about?" She saw him whispering to the staff earlier, and felt curious.

He rubbed his nose again and chuckled. Mirai wondered why then when the ride started, he whispered back by her ears, "the staff said the seat on the right is scarier" Mirai realised why he was laughing, she is sitting on the scarier side. "You're so evil, senpai!" He giggled. Any retaliation is to no avail at this point. The horror starts with the first prop flying right at her that it made her jump with a shriek. "Ahhhhh!" She moved into his side, unconsciously she got her wish, their skins touched. Her heart was pounding fast, surely from the scary music, props and green illuminating lights, but not surely cause there was no space in between them. Ryosuke has placed his arms over her shoulder and brought her so close, she was leaning on his chest and burying her head within to avoid any horrifying sights. She appreciated his protective embrace, and that made her feel like she for one moment was on par with the other real couples. 

After haunted mansion, they're onto their last ride. By then the sun has set and the stars were overhead. They went aboard the jungle cruise. There werent much people as well, only a group of four university girls and a family of three. Mirai don't what they are counted for but it soon became obvious that the rest thought they were a couple. "Her boyfriend is cute. Isn't he a magazine model" she heard from the university girls, though he was too engrossed with the surrounding 'seas' to have heard. Just when she thought he wasn't focus on her, he turned to her and called to her with his mellow voice, "Mirai..." 

"Yes?"

"Thanks for accompanying me tonight. It's my first time at any amusement park." He rubbed the back of his neck in slight embarrassment for his revelation. Mirai was shocked. She did not expect that he hasnt came before, "not on dates too?"

"Im scared of heights. So i definitely not want to disgrace myself in front of my girlfriends, would i?"

"Sou..." She sounded discouraged cause that again highlighted her position.

"That wasnt my point," he tried to correct himself after seeing her disappointment which she never succeeded in concealing. She looked at him, with shifting gaze after realising she has exposed her feelings. "I think if it's with you, it's okay to reveal myself. It's nothing to do with whether you are my girlfriend or not. It's just you, I'm willing to show. You don't mind that, do you?"

"I..."

"I know I'm being horrible when i cant commit anything to you. I can't even figure out my own feelings towards you, so i really dont wanna end up hurting you if we actually get together."

She should understood that after countless repetition. He was still being careful in preventing misunderstandings, and she would hope to let him know that she understood all of what he said. Her sadness however, goes in contrary with her mind.

"Mirai, I appreciate what you did for me earlier. But i hope you dont go to her anymore. Dont get hurt over me or her. It's not worth it."

"You're not angry anymore?"

"I was. I dont like people meddling with my life. But that's about it. I was nasty to you just now, so that balances things up. Actually, if it was other girls, i would have given them a much worst time. You're an exception, ne."

"Arigatou..."

"Like i said, you're different from the rest. I know you are genuinely trying to help. Anyway, my birthday wish is really only just this. Deprived kid, ne~" he chuckled.

He smiled gorgeously as the day came to a bittersweet end. Without asking, as usual, his dominant decision making style, he sent her home. The silence during the trip was therapeutic, the way she sees it in his tired eyes. The silence was the same one she needed to consolidate her overwhelmed emotions today. There was a tint bit of swell in her eyes from the earlier crying that made her slightly sleepy, but in front of him, she had to be alert so that she doesnt disgrace herself. The train past shinjuku and she looked at him to see if it bring back the unhappy memories today, fortunately he continued to daze into space. They alighted, and still he walked in front. Realising the destination closing in soon, she mustered her courage, took a deep breathe and called out to him, "Ryosuke."

"Ungh?" He turned around and looked at her patiently. she twirled her trembling fingers on her skirt to ease her nervousness. Not wanting to annoy him by making him wait too long in silence, she said, "thank you...."

"For?"

Raising her head to look into his eyes, she said with her utmost sincerity, "for the memories today." It was just this few words, but he got her underlying meaning right away. It was really nothing much he did, he thought, as it cant be equated to love. her contentment with this helped ascertain again, her beautiful simplicity that touched his heart. He smiled that backtracked so that they walked side by side for the last kilometre. She thought his mood was right to ask him just one more question she couldn't bring herself to say, "Mizuo and you... Broke up because...."

But before she could finish her sentence, she was taken by another surprise. "Hiro?!" She froze. Right opposite her house, she saw Hiro sat on the bench. He too appeared shocked when she approached him with Ryosuke by her side.

"Why are you here?" hiro asked Ryosuke. The latter changed into a snob, with his arm suddenly wringed around Mirai's neck, and smirked, as he answered, "the two of us spent the whole day at disneyland. She celebrated my birthday, right Mirai?" He brought himself so close to her, the closest proximity for the day as his face was almost touching hers. Mirai blushed, and at the same time, consciously averting Hiro's burning gaze. She didn't understand the 2 guys; why Hiro appeared so annoyed but guessed it was about his sister; why Ryosuke became so possessive, it almost felt like he was showing off.

She nodded nonetheless with her head lowered, until Hiro said something unlike him. "Proofs my point that all the tears my sister shed for you was unnecessary. Playboy is still a playboy after all. What I'm more surprised is you, Mirai..."

"Hiro? It's not like what you think... The two of us..." She tried to explain. Ryosuke instead interrupted. He released his arms from her, then said with arrogance, "she doesn't owe you an explanation ne. She goes out with whoever she wants, and that's me. I'm no longer with your sister, so i can go out with whoever i want too. You should be glad ne, cause you got your wish."

"Ryosuke..." She tried to pause the tension.

"i shall not disturb the conversation ne. I'll make a move first. Oyasumi, Mirai-chan" he gave her a big heart attack when he leaned to her sides, and openly gave her a soft peck on her cheeks. She stood petrified for a whole second and what she remembered was his wide smile. By the time she reacted, he is on his way out of their sight, leaving her alone to face Hiro.

Hiro let out a sarcastic laughter, "so, this is how it is. Mirai, I can't believe that's the kind of character you have too, stooping so low to secure the guy who just ditched a heartbroken girl. I thought you were different."

"Please hear me explain... It's really not what you think"

"Stop lying to yourself. There are no saints. You like Ryosuke and his breakup with Mizuo is definitely good news for you."

Mirai didnt know what else to say cause he spoke the evil of her heart. It's not far from truth, in fact, it is probably the whole truth. She saw her own rotten character presented through his words and felt ashamed.

"And I thought i could seek some solace from you. I rather not now. Good night and goodbye Shida Mirai," he stomped off, holding back all those heartfelt problems he intended to share with her in hopes of seeking consolation. Mirai felt her heart ache as she lost a friend she thought could become as dear as Chinen and Umika. Turned out, she lost this friendship as fast as it started.

 

****

"Moshi moshi" Ryosuke picked up a call from an unknown number he had missed since evening. His face pales as he heard the intimidating voice from the other end, and digested the words spoken carefully. When the call disengaged, his arms dropped and his limbs frozen as though petrified.

-----

Short chapter, but hope you like it. As usual, i look forward to your comments:) a simple after-thought will do too^^