Chapter 7

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

The musical ended in success. The audience gave a standing ovation and the apparent crisis of Chinen, Umika and Hiro resolved simply by the pretend kiss. There was a crowd rushed to the cast to give flowers and for photos, it was pretty much a mess. Ryosuke, Mizuo and Chinen proceeded backstage, though with Mirai right in front, urgently wanting to meetup with Hiro. They all saw that urgency written all over her face and her gestures. It is difficult for most to think that concern for him was as it is and nothing more. The instance the audience cleared up, the trio can finally see the leads.

"Hiro!" Mirai rushed up to him, taking him aback by her enthusiasm. "Daijoubu? You're hurting right? When you were hanging onto the bar." She pointed out. This time, he did not pretend. He admitted it hurts, as he massaged his shoulders.

"I'll bring you to the clinic for a checkup," she volunteered as a way of repaying her debt. 

"It's okay. I drive. So I'll just pop by my family clinic on my way home," Hiro said kindly. Mizuo saw her enthusiasm as a desperate attempt to seduce her brother and when her help was denied, Mizuo smirked. Mirai saw it, and so did others. Mirai felt immensely awkward. Thankfully, Chinen interrupted the mood.

"Hiro, thank you," Chinen exclaimed. This simple thank you was enough to convey his utmost gratitude for everything and the recipient accepted it graciously with a soft smile. Umika followed suit, thanking him profusely as she remembered those words he whispered to her just before he 'kissed' her, "just follow my gesture, and relaxed your body, or i won't be able to sustain the cover." That assurance was sufficient as she entrusted herself to him, and they managed to fool the entire audience with the stage trickery.

 Hiro bidded farewell first, after voicing that he will not be able to join the after-party. Mirai looked at him with worried gaze. In front of everyone, he secured her shoulders and reassured, "it's just an accident. Don't worry. If there's anything more severe after i meet the doctor, I promise I'll make you responsible," he said with a lighthearted laughter and a pat on her head, then walked off. 

Back to awkwardness, and worst was awaiting Mirai when Umika invited the rest for the after party. "Let's go, minna!"

Mirai would have gone along since her friends are there, but on second thought as she looked at how they are perfectly paired up, Chinen-Umika, Ryosuke-Mizuo, the status quo has changed. She felt like she was a lightbulb, even more with Ryosuke and Mizuo's coherent annoyed look.

"I'll pass. I have some errands to do" she decided, putting in some effort to mask her feelings of out-of-place. She could get afford being on anyone nerves or be a hazard for the same reason. 

"mirai~" Umika felt there was something bothering Mirai and naturally thought it was about Hiro. "Hiro will be fine. Don't worry. Come with us when you are done maybe..."

Mirai heard a sigh from Ryosuke before he stomped off with Mizuo following suit, "Ryosuke, wait for me..."

Chinen asked aloud, "oi Ryosuke, you're coming ne?" However, he did not reply, causing Chinen to be alittle frustrated, "what's wrong with him..." Mirai felt the uneasiness again, that it has to do with her, this time that feeling is stronger. Perhaps it was those strange warning he said to her that she could not understand.

"I'll go off first. Enjoy" she warmly smiled then exited solemnly. Even Chinen and Umika felt there was something wrong with Mirai. Chinen knew the reason and wanted to tell Umika what Ryosuke has advised but the drama club soon came over and joined them, making it difficult to convey.

Meanwhile, Mizuo caught up with Ryosuke. "Ryo, we are going right? I heard this after party is gonna be huge, there are many of my classmates too. I can introduce you to them." She cheered, not realising that Ryosuke did not share the same excitement. "It's at the big underground club we went before"

"Go ahead without me. I'm tired," he said lethargically with his eyes not even looking at hers as he said. Mizuo was angered when she exclaimed, "again? Why are you always saying you're tired when i ask you out?"

" what's wrong with you going alone then? You'll enjoy it without your boyfriend around."

"Yamada Ryosuke, I'm your girlfriend! Can't you be more accommodating? My friends wanna know you too!"

"But I'm not interested to know them. It's just another one of your social gathering opportunities to flaunt to your friends about your social life ne. So go ahead, I'm not stopping you, neither am i interested to join in. Have fun and Bye!" He disregarded any other things she said and walked off. 

Mizuo cringed in outrage, wrenching her fist and stomping while her mind thought of that one pest, "Shida Mirai! You watch out!" She recalled those glances Ryosuke made towards Mirai the entire day.

*****

Hiro sat in front of his family doctor, watching his expression closely. Topless, his doctor examined his shoulders, bruised ever more badly than previously. It felt like he couldn't move it much anymore.

"Itaiiii itaiii. Sensei, please be gentle," Hiro grumbled. The doctor did not listen to his pleas, instead continue with his strength exerted upon the injured point to apply the ointment. "Now you know what's pain. Just now, you still pretend to be a hero, withstanding the pain and exerting yourself physically on stage."

"I didn't have the choice, sensei. The performance had to go on, ne"

"Well, it's to impress a girl too isn't it."

"Sensei~ I don't know what you are hinting. But I really didn't want the performance to flop," Hiro defended himself, though in actual fact, he did understand what the sensei has mentioned and who that girl can be. He cant deny that Mirai has been entering his thoughts so much recently that he is beginning to probe the reasons for this. 

His family doctor understood him too well, that feigning ignorance didn't help convince the doctor otherwise. He could only avoid his gaze and continue to pretend to be oblivious to his conjecture. 

"It's lucky you didn't continue to exert yourself after the musical, or you are likely to suffer a dislocated arm which is harder to heal. Nevertheless, it's still gonna continue swelling and hurting for the next week so I'll prescribe some painkillers and ointment to subside the swell. Don't do heavy duty for this period until you confirm you're ready. Understand?"

"Yes," he nodded with a bow of respect before trailing back out into the dark alley.

****

The streets leading to her house was exceptionally dark today. It could be because she hasn't been going home this late for a while. Maybe also because she has chosen a longer route this time so that she has more alone time to think of things. Mirai faces a crisis for her friendship she felt. To hang out with them like before the same way, would be impossible. Then there were warnings from Ryosuke she has yet to decipher and the evil glances from Mizuo. Was it because she is being too close with Ryosuke earlier, then that would be easy to resolve. But she isn't completely sure that was the reason. Mizuo appeared too unhappy,Ryosuke too, and so, that reason won't exactly fit. 

Engrossed in her thoughts, she almost walked right into a pillar, fortunately she dodged in time. A bear keychain from her bag however fell off in the midst of the sudden gesture. She bent down and picked it up. When she did so, she realised in this deserted street on a late night, she wasn't alone. Someone, she couldn't see clearly, donned in a long red cloak is hiding behind the pillar a few metres away from her. 

"I must be too paranoid. He could be walking the same way as me..." She thought to herself. She picked up her fallen item, stuffed it in her bag while her hands folded across his chest to warm her trembling arms. Convincing herself wasn't easy as the lone footsteps from the person continued to ring behind her ears as she proceeded with her journey. Her fear began to rise as the familiarity of the rhythmic steps hit her. The same fear that struck her in the past month whenever she went home late. Stringing those paranoid experience together, sent chills down her spine. 

"Calm down, calm down" she told herself, knowing any sudden signs of frantic reaction may be the trigger point for the person at the back. She also held on to a glimpse of hope that the person is just happening to cross paths with her and has no ill intent. Unfortunately it's difficult to think that way when he or she hastens the footsteps when she did. She yearned to see someone on the way, but there was simply no one , all shops are closed, as though she is on a silent hill. Keeping her compose is the way, so in her most natural gesture, she retrieved her phone and pressed her first quick dial.

It ran several times before it got engaged. In the background, she could hear all three voices along with the sound of television. "Oneesan... I'm 3 streets away from home, can you or otousan or okasan come out to accompany me. I think someone is tailing me."

"Stop being so paranoid. Who would wanna attack you. Anyway, we're all busy. Just walk faster, if not run home. You are quite a runner isn't it. You need to be independent."

"Oneesan... B-but..." Before she could finish her desperate attempt to convince her sister that it's all okay, the phone is hanged up. She felt her heart cringed with the heartless rejection. In normal circumstances, she would expect to be turned down. But in face of danger, she did not expect that the kinship is shoved away too. She thought no matter how unwilling, her family would still be first to protect her. She clenched her fingers against her jeans, suppressing the disappointment before picking up her phone to dial the next numbers - her best friends.

First Umika, then Chinen... Both numbers did not get through. It rang and rang, and she is persisted a few more times. Unfortunately, it just did not get through. Mirai knew it must be the loud music at the party that flooded their phone's ringing, but even these legitimately reasons sadden her. She can't help but concluded even her friends are not at her aid. 

She would have called the lady boss from the restaurant but by this time she's already asleep at home which is located far from where she needed her.

She cannot absolutely trouble Hiro when he is injured because of her, and even more so when she is a nobody to warrant his unconditional help. She cannot bring herself to call.

That leaves her to one last number, a new addition in her very limited phonebook. She would not have called him if her desperation has raised significantly when she heard saw from the corner of her eyes that the person was truly stalking her. She accidentally made contact with 'him'. It is confusing to determine his gender cause what she saw briefly was a thick pair of hairy legs beneath the long red cloak and the person wore a pair of black heals. Those legs can't be that of a woman, yet the person's nails were coloured red too. There was no time to figure it out, she needed to get help before the stalker is alerted of her call for help.

The phone rang until the last bit before Mirai was about to hang up the phone with fear reaching her limit. She was almost prepared to run home as her sister suggested.

"Moshi moshi..." She was too distracted by her fear that she didn't catch immediately that the phone is picked up. "What is it?"

"Senpai... Im sorry to disturb. But... I need your help" she whispered with her irregular breathing evidently conveyed to the other end of the phone. For him, it is not difficult to conclude that she genuinely is in need of help.

"Are you okay? You are breathing so loud." And irregular if he had to describe. Moreover, she was whispering. 

"I think someone is stalking me..."

"Is there anyone around you? And where are you exactly?" 

By now, Mirai could hear his personal interest in the issue and feel that her fears was lightly alleviated. Clearing , she whispered back while keeping cautious of the distance between the stalker and her.

"I'm at Isahara street. There's no one around me..." 

"Good. It's near my apartment. Last question, does he know that you are calling for help?" 

"Dont seem so. Im trying to act natural"

"Alright. He possibly is waiting for the time you hang up so that he can attack you without alerting the person on the phone. He will lose his patience"

"Yes, senpai... He is speeding up. What should I do?" Her voice was cracking, so he knew she's about to break.

"you listen to me carefully. There should be a telephone booth at the end of this street. Go into the booth, close the door, and pretend to be talking to someone on the phone. lean against the door so that even if he wants to come in, it's not easy. It's at least an enclosed space, so it'll be safer for you."

"Senpai... Please dont leave me alone." She genuinely thought his advice ends there and that she'll have to wait until the next morning for the street to be populated again.

"Im coming right now.i'll rush here as fast as possible.Just hold on 15 minutes at most. If you're afraid, close your eyes."

15 minutes?! Mirai thought he is trying to make her feel more optimistic about the situation cause 15 minutes is definitely insufficient to move from the party venue to where she is. But she is too frightened to clarify. She merely acknowledged and the phone hanged up. She saw the phonebooth he mentioned and did as she was told. As time passes, she was afraid that he will not come for her, cause it was too unbelievable to accept that of all those she tried to contact, it was someone who knew her least, coming to her aid without grumbling at all. Her eyes closed and pretended to be talking on the phone as soon as she saw the stalker looking at her right across the road. She was no longer mentally brave to consciously ensure the stalker did not see through their plans.

She expected to hear footsteps or even hard pounding on the door soon. Her heart was racing so hard and her hand was trembling. Cold sweat trickled down her forehead, and behind the shut eyes was the wild imaginations of the danger she will face. 

She hated to be right, cause the next moment, she was startled by the soft pounding on the plastic wall beside her. She thought that gentle pounding must be from Ryosuke, so she excitedly opened her eyes and turned to her left. 

"Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh" she let out a scream when she was creeped out by the stalker right outside her booth. He looked at her with a wide smile showing his teeth, almost resembling korosensei from ansatsu kyousu. Except, korosensei was supposed to be kind. This one obviously was one sick man, dressed as a woman. There was a reason why he dressed in a long red cloak, and it was too late when she found out the reason. Before she could block her visions, he stood with hairy legs wide open and pulled open his red cloak, revealing his bare skin beneath. He was entirely with the disturbingly hairy chest and then there was that enormous organ protruding in between his legs. It was the first time Mirai has seen any of these, perhaps other girls would not have been as hysteric as her.

She cupped her ears and shut back her eyes, though no amount of shutting off can help her cleanse what she saw. That trauma was real. She wanted to run away this instant, forgetting her will to stay inside the enclosed cubicle. She opened the door, clearly not seeing where she is heading with her eyes closed. It was only barely 3 steps out of the phone booth that she collided right into someone. 

"ahhhhh!!!! Let go off me" she shrieked when that someone has his hands on her shoulders, holding it firmly like he had no intentions to let her go. He grabbed her hands that was cupping her ears, then she felt the assurance radiating from his hands just as the warmth did. 

"It's me Ryosuke." He said with his gentle voice. She gradually released her hands from her ears, stopped struggling and reopened my eyes clogged with tears that did not escape. Even with the clouded vision, she could see him ever so clearly and no words could explain how thankful she is to see him.

"It's that man, right? The flasher..." He verified as he looked over her. 

"Yes," Intuitively, she wanted to turn around to ascertain, but he held her back to face himself instantly. She knew that instance that the flasher hasnt worn back his cloak. 

"Stay. I'll deal with him." Ryosuke softly pat her shoulders and was about to run off to teach him a lesson. "Dont run! You!!!!" He shouted at the flasher as he gave chase.

"Ryosuke senpai... No," to his surprise, Mirai refused to let go of his sleeves. He sighed as he gave up his intentions to capture the flasher.

"He surely scared you," he stated the obvious as he saw her trembling and her hands cold as ice. "It's okay now. But i think you're not okay yet. Need to get you warmed up first and de-traumatised. Drop by my house first if you don't mind. It's just nearby."

He was right, she's so tensed earlier that she can't calm down for the longest time, unable to speak nor breathe properly. She followed, blindly, cause her mind was largely blank. He knew her condition so he simply led the way in still silence. He waited till she's more ready to speak, and he's hoping she do that cause the longer she keeps to herself, the more he was afraid she'll break eventually. He would rather she cry it out but not a single tear was she, Though her expression was clearly evident that she wanted to. When he observed her at the corner of his eyes as she walked beside him, he pondered why she would rather suffer internally by herself. She's worrying - he thought.

The rustling of the leaves and the gentle breeze calmed the two. While they were not obviously hand-in-hand, the mere presence of him helped her finally to find the courage to speak her mind, though it was nothing he expected.

"I called my family, but they were too busy with their usual television programmes to come out for me. I have two friends but neither can be reached. My life... It's just so... Unimportant..." She laughed to herself. He looked at her in shock and fear that she is already losing it, at the same time, he felt her sorrows so clearly. He could almost feel her pain. Seeing the frown on his face, she chuckled, "thank you senpai! I didn't who else i can call since i dont have many numbers in the first place. I must be disturbing your party." He did not answer, neither did he acknowledge it, except for a deep frown.

By then, they have arrived at his one level apartment then he led her through the door. While Mirai has seen the outside of his house several times, it's her first time seeing the interior. She was impressed by his interior design, artistic, minimalistic and Scandinavian style. he is also very neat. Frankly, all that excitement has successfully unnerved her tension. Before she knows it, he passed her a cup of hot chocolate with the aroma stimulating her sense of smell. She politely received it from his hands and took a sip immediately, that immediate feeling of the hot liquid streaming down her constricted throat and freezing body, was immensely therapeutic. However, it was what he said next that eventually cured her trauma.

Seated beside her, with no distance between, he said in a relaxed tone, "you know those you called just now may not have came to your aid for whatever reasons, but that doesnt mean no one cares about you. I'm your friend too right. At least i thought that was the agreement. So you've got a friend who came to your aid."

He made it sound like there was no reason to think otherwise, so convincing, so much that it sounded like their relationship was cast in stone. She was heartened, and yet also confused. 

"I thought... You were unhappy about me..."

"Still? You feel that? I thought i already told you i am not. Baka..." He lightly pushed her forehead and chuckled briefly.

"But... You looked so angry in my presence."

"Thats because you are ... so insensitive about your actions," he sighed, "but i guess you are truly too naive and innocent to notice whats wrong. Anyway, dont be bothered by it. I am not unhappy with you. If there's anything, it's about you not me. Just note what i warned you earlier about offering kindness to others. Not everyone sees in a good way."

"Ryosuke senpai~" she wanted to clarify his vague words, but he didn't give that opportunity cause he stood up and began lighting up some candles.

"It's lavender. It should help with relaxing your nerves," he said. She was by now too absorbed by his increasing plus points. He is sentimental and gentle by the understanding of how he was particular about moods and surroundings. While he may be a heartbreaker, he is definitely a guy sensitive enough to girl's feelings. If he could continue to treat her this way, she felt that she's contented.

"Sorry i took your time from the party"  she remembered.

"If i were at the party too, then i wouldnt have heard your call, just like Umika and Chinen. And i also wont be able to reach in such short time right~"

"Thats true..." For her, that puts things into perspective - he wasnt at the noisy rowdy party, he was at home, so he heard her call, and couldnt say no anyway to a friend. She convinced herself to think realistically, well it didnt need much convincing cause she knew she is nothing more than just a friend among his many many friends. "I... should get home now."

"Alright. I have a bicycle too, so there's no need to walk" he moved forward as she trailed behind. She was almost sure he is lending her his bicycle so she can cycle home, but it turned out - he is not. 

"Heh?!" When she was going to hop onto the cyclist seat, he stopped her, and pointed to the back seat. "Excuse me~ this is my seat" he remarked sarcastically and it really made her looked embarrass.

"You are cycling me back?"

"Duh... Im not gonna risk coming out a second time to save you, should the flasher try another shot at flaunting his artistic body to you ne..." By then he is already on his seat, waiting for her to hop onto the back. It wasnt just because he is fetching that made her nervous, it's the thought of how she has no where to hold onto during the ride. As far as she remembered, the back seater will definitely have to hold onto the cyclist. She was afraid her heart will explode by the time she reached home if she had to perform a certain extent of skinship. To keep him waiting would frustrate him, she bears that memory. So she took a deep breathe and sat sideways on the back. Immediately, she started fantasising, like in dramas where you see couples riding the same bicycle, and the female would wrap her entire arm around the male's torso with her head leaned against his back, absorbing his warmth and enjoying that security. She would never ever be allowed to do that. It'll be too embarrassing for him, to have the most unpopular girl in school to tarnish his name since that to him is important.

"Are you immune to falls?" He asked out of the blue. She looked at him from the back, and raised her brows because she didn't understand. 

"No?" She was unsure if it was even a question. 

"If you are not gonna hold tight, you're gonna fall over." His answer sounded serious, definitely does not sound like a teasing of the weak hearted. Circumstances gave her no time to think, as the bicycle went over a hump that almost made her lose her balance. Instinctively, her arms circled around his torso and she brought herself closer to him, with her body leaned against his back. 

"See... You almost fall..." He commented. He even tightened her hands at his front. Mirai felt bewildered because he did not think twice about being intimate with other girls. Is it because to him, this is no big deal, something he does everyday? This is also possibly how he courted other girls or even treated his girlfriends. When she realised that this is probably the rare times she gets such close contact, her heart and mind both agreed to fully exploit that situation. She rested her head on his back, letting the body warmth radiate through her skin. He smells so good with his cologne that sets her to wonder what brand it was, just like how other girls around him have noticed. This happiness was just so shortlived. 

"Sleepy?" He surprised her with his direct question she couldnt answer. Springing her head away from his back, she troubled herself on the best answer she could give. Her action was deliberate. "Go on and get a shut eye if you need," he offered like it didnt trouble him. Again, no wonder he is a casanova. He can really buy hearts with the best princess treatment.

"I'm okay," she laughed, awkwardly, mostly afraid that her feelings are revealed. She was reminded again of that time she blurted out her secrets, though fortunately he did not catch it. She reluctantly lifted herself from his back but still tugged her hands securely around his torso.

It sounded like he was keen to chat when he started a conversation, "Is that flasher scary to you? Frankly, he never hurt you, ne. He just wanna flaunt his artistic body?"

"That is scary~" she said, but then lowered her volume when she realised she sounded too nerdish. Most girls would not be foreign to the sight? She thought especially when she heard him chuckled.

"Gomen..." She uttered shyly.

"You really like to apologise ne. Have you not seen the most raw state of guys yet?" She shook her head as if he could see, but he could feel she did.

"It's not that scary. He is just a lot more hairy." He laughed, "a lot bigger too."

Mirai was trying to shake that scene out of her mind, at the same time, she found herself staring at Ryosuke, her eyes scanning him like she wondered if his raw form was similar. 

He sensed her arms tightened around him, "Sorry..." He said when he thought she was upset by his remarks. He felt that there was something about her that makes him constantly worried and concerned. He thought deeply about this unknown feeling penetrating him everytime he sees her and it's something he never felt before for any other girls. 

Mirai concealed her thoughts and felt apologetic for making him mistaken by the silence. "Daijiobu..." 

"You're pure and thats very rare," he added when he realised she has probably never gotten into that sort of intimate relationship before. 

He wondered, "you have dated before right?" He assumed to be least she has experience in. 

Embarrassed she was, she answered hesitantly, "no..." Now he knew, the insensitivity about being kind to guys, stemmed from the fact she hasnt dated before.

"You'll meet one soon. No worries! You're a nice girl, ne" He came down of the bicycle as they arrived at her apartment. While she carefully came down from the bicycle with her head lowered to hide from her blushing face, he stood in front of her and said, "dont hesitate to call me anytime you need help. We're almost neighbours the way i see it, and we're friends too!"

It would be rude if she did not face him properly for a final thank you, so when she did it, she did it with her fullest sincerity. "Thank you, Ryosuke senpai" she bowed with a gentle smile.

"Call me Ryosuke... By the way, you should tell your family about the stalker. You end work late so often, it's really not that safe... Ah... Your sister is here" 

She turned around and saw with her eyes widened. Chewing a piece of gum as she walked closer, she said, "who are you? And business do you have here?"

"Konnichiwa, i am yamada ryosuke. Mirai's senior. You must be her sister"

Mirai was afraid her sister would remember Ryosuke as the guy on the train she has a crush on. Holding her breathe, she prepared for the worst, "i'm shida mai. Her elder sister."

"Mirai just bumped into a flasher. He must have been loitering around this vicinity, so i think it's best to be careful. It's not that safe for a girl to return home alone so late"

Mai turned to Mirai with annoyance, "you're really troublesome. See how you trouble others, all the time. Anyway, you returned home in one piece. See, i told you you are old enough to deal with it independently"

Ryosuke was surprised not just because of Mai's unconcerned attitude towards her sister, but also how Mirai quietly accepted it. While he was trying to reconcile what be saw, Mai has disregarded his presence and walked off with Mirai trailing behind after bidding farewell.

He protested the instance he regained his mind, "Chotto Matte~" he rushed forward, then said with some anger in his tone, "your sister was in danger. Thats the kind of reaction you have? You dont even pretend to be concerned?!!!"

"Ryosuke~" Mirai tried to calm him down, tugging his rolled sleeves and holding him back as he moved forward.

"Whats the commotion?!!" Her parents rushed out to see when they heard noises. Mai immediately vented her frustration, "Mirai and her boyfriend complained that we dont care about her."

"No no, i didnt say that. Okasan, otousan..." She remembered how it angered her parents when she commented something along the lines. She was so afraid of their reaction that she didnt bother clarifying that Ryosuke is not her boyfriend. 

"She did not complain, but i am the one! I cant believe her family didnt bother when she called for help," Ryosuke shook Mirai away and added fuel to the tension. Mirai felt messed up when she saw her parents suppressing a rage.

"Ryosuke, please..." She held his hands unintentionally and gazed into his eyes. Words transcended without speaking, that Ryosuke's body reacted before his mind. He acceded to her plea. He suppressed whatever more he wished to say and took off in his bike. 

Mirai eyes were b in tears when she is left alone to face the music. Turning back to her family, she realised all eyes are on her. She has hoped that the reprimanding will come from her mother, she didnt mind if her sister used harsh words on her. Unfortunately, his father was the one, who most angrily shouted, "we worked so hard to bring you up. 18 years and instead of gratitude, all you have is grievances about the family. You mother and your sister had sacrificed so much for the youngest one, and if you cant show your appreciation than i am utterly disappointed. I am trying to tolerate your whinning, but you are obviously turning from back to worst. Perhaps it's the kind of people you hang out with that has influenced your mannerisms, but it definitely is not an excuse for your bad behaviour! DONT STEP INTO THE HOUSE UNTIL YOU REFLECT ON YOUR MISTAKES!"

"Otousan!!!!" Her family stomped back into the house, with the door slamming right in her face. She pounded on the door, crying bitterly, but no one answered her plea. With her knees feel weak from the excruciating cries, she fell to the ground. She cried and cried, and it never seem to stop, until her phone received a message.

"Sorry. I hope i didn't get you into trouble. Rest well.

Ryosuke"

Mirai cried harder. Her overwhelming emotions swallowed her in, so much so that she was eventually drained off energy and tears. It didnt help ease that cold night  breeze that penetrated her skin.

*****
Few days past, after the musical which won critical acclaims from the school board and the professionals in the acting scene. That has helped Hiro got into some other musicals, such that he couldn't find time for himself except work. He wasnt the only one tied down by something. Umika too. She finds alone time most of the past days in school, away from her classmates. Seated at the high point in the school amphitheatre, she pondered deeply about what Chinen told her at the after party.

...
Chinen sent her home that night. It was already late into the midnight. The streetlights illuminated the path and the companionship made the quiet night much more bearable. Hand-in-hand they walked, even the exhaustion from the eventful day did not bother them. They talked about almost everything under the stars, except Umika was sure there was something else bothering him when she saw him in a trance several times at the party.

"Chinen, is there something wrong?" She propped the question suddenly, taking Chinen by surprise. He hesitated before turning to her. She was already looking at him with that persevering eyes like she's not giving up until he spills the truth.

"Umika, i think, we have neglected Mirai's feelings... We have been too used to her mental resilience, we took it for granted that she is independent and supportive about everything, alright with anything. But have you thought that maybe she has kept alot of things to herself that she never told us, Things that she mind but didnt wanna upset us?"

"Now that you said it... I am always the ons telling her my problems, she never confided in me. She's always smiling, so i thought she's okay with everything."

"We are too comfortable with the status quo, you see. If it's not because Ryosuke reminded me, we would probably be still hurting her without us knowing."

"Ryosuke?"

"This friend, he disregards others feelings and do things his own way, but he does it tactfully though. He actually understands people well, and subtly protects the person in his own way when he wants it. He grasped girls' feelings well so thats why he can easily toy with their emotions. This is why i am afraid of Mirai being close with him which is happening quite often recently. But besides this, i must say i am thankful he pointed it out to me this time. I dont wanna see our trio friendship being ruined."

"What did Ryosuke say?"

"When we started out, we were too preoccupied with ourselves and left her out. You realise we didnt share our time and chat as much with her anymore. She is gonna feel terrible but as usual she chose not to say anything. He probably saw through her gaze when we did not"

Umika sat stunned for a long time, trying to interpret everything as well as chain all the subtle hints together. She experienced a short suffocation. Tears didnt obey her again, wetting her eyes. Chinen saw it coming. "Baka, crybaby," he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer, while his free hand grabbed hers and gave it a light squeezed.

"Mirai, her life is already so hard because of her family, but she cant even count on us. Even an outsider could see her suffering inside," she cried softly. Chinen silenced her with a kiss. It startled her and before she could pull herself together and enjoy that moment, he departed from her tensed lips. She stopped crying so a smile emerged on his face, in pride.

"Lets make it up for our mistakes. We should be more sensitive with our actions but we must also be natural around her. She definitely wont like it if we deliberately accommodate her.  Okay?" He looked into her eyes with reassurance, and she nodded.

....
Chinen's positivity has been his strength and his sunshine smile is always contagious. It turned her sulking face away, but now that he's not beside her, she started worrying for her friend again. She sighed over and over, losing count of how many times she has done it. To make matters worst, she hasnt seen Mirai in the week. Her classmates have said that she is not feeling well, but when she tried to call her, she never picked up too. She made a decision, to visit her house, even if it means to receive the unfriendly welcome by her sister. She needed to convince herself that mirai is okay. As the bell rang for the end of break, Umika dragged her feet to her classroom. Her absentmindedness got her colliding into a group of girls, from the second year. They threw a death glare at Umika, despite the latter's seniority. She swallowed the undignified treatment as these girls were simply not to be messed with.

"Did you hear, someone saw Mizuo's boyfriend Ryosuke senpai with the outcast Shida Mirai after the musical..."

"Thats not all. I've heard worst. Someone said she was intimately pressing her body against him when she made him fetch her home on a bicycle."

"why did Ryosuke senpai agree?! He would turn all of us down even if it's not for Mizuo right?"

"You're right, but he couldn't because that Mirai must have threatened him with his friendship with Chinen senpai. She is close with him too remember. She's really a girl who doesn't know what is shame. Chinen senpai is already dating a girl in year 3, and she is still interrupting the couple."

"But you havent heard what is worst"

"What?"

"She's hitting on Mizuo's brother..."

"The lead from the musical?"

"Yes."

"Oh my gosh, Suzuki Hiro. He is quite a hottie too! This Shida Mirai always give people that innocent, helpless look but in fact, she is the ultimate "

Umika was fuming in anger when she heard the conversation among the girls and couldn't hold it back after she heard the insults, "Dont say that about my friend!" The girls were initially startled by her sudden outburst but were not weakened by it. 

"Who do you think you are?!!! We can say whatever we want about her!" The seemingly more outspoken one took the lead. 

"Whatever you said is not true! Mirai stays true to her heart so i dont allow you to say such awful thing about her" while she is afraid, trembling to be exact, there's no backing out anymore. Fortunately, at the sight of the approaching discipline master, the girls backed off with looks of annoyance. Umika avoided their gazes and realised too that she dont wanna stay behind to face that sensei, so she fled as well. However, those words spoken by the girls unleashed more worries for Mirai who has been absent from school. 

Lessons were unbearably long with her heart only yearning for the end of the day so that she can look for Mirai at her house. During lessons, she has texted chinen who agreed to join her after school. The instance the bell rang for dismissal, Umika ran out of school towards the direction of mirai's house. She thought she is early, but Chinen was even earlier, standing opposite her apartment and trying to peek at her room from ground level. It was all in vain since couldnt see a thing from where he is. 

"Chinen~" she joined him and told him the nasty stuff those girls said.

"I told her liking him will bring trouble. See now, just getting close to him is creating so much commotion already," he commented even though Ryosuke is his best friend. 

"It's not just Ryosuke ne. Hiro and you are part of their gossips. Do you think these will hurt her? Or you think she knew all these, thats why she didnt go school these few days?"

"It'll more or less hurt her, but i dont think these constitute a reason for her to skip school. She is not that weak. It's hard to even be sure she knows people are spreading malicious comments about her. I think there are other reasons, and i am partly sure it is her parents or sister."

"Why do you think so?"

"Think back, the only people who really upset her is her family. The people who treats her worst yet she cant ignore or fight back. Instead, she protects them even though they hurt her time after time."

"What should we do Chii?"

"Her sister and her boyfriend are preparing to head out i think. Let's wait till they're out, then we look for Mirai. I dont wanna end up arguing with her family members if it's gonna add on to her trouble."

Umika agreed to his suggestions. So they waited out. Once Mai and her boyfriend left the house, they rushed to the door and pressed onto the doorbell.

"Mirai!" Both exclaimed in surprise when they saw their best friend slightly pale, and had lost a bit of weight. Umika went to give a big hug, embracing her wholly, hoping the other would find the little consoling she can offer. Chinen instinctively smiled with glinting eyes when he saw that heartwarming scene and that subtle smile from Mirai who leaned onto Umika without a word. 

Ushered indoors, they went straight to her room, where Umika urgently asked for Mirai to fill them in on what has happened. "You were absent from school for a few days, i thought something happened. You were unreachable too."

"Sorry minna. I was down with high fever the past few days. I was too weak to even handle my phone. I am feeling better already and i wanted to return your call."

"What matters is that you're okay," Chinen sat beside Mirai and gave her a gentle squeeze on her shoulders to convey his support.

"I would get the homework from your sensei tomorrow," Umika said.

"It's alright, i will be in school tomorrow. I can get it then. It's not convenient for you to get from my sensei since we have different senseis." Mirai's answer left Umika helpless once more.

"Mirai, i heard from Ryosuke that there's a flasher in your vicinity and you were targeted,"Chinen said as he strung together Ryosuke's text message and umika's hearsay from the girls earlier. He made sense of Ryosuke's worried message and assessed the gravity of the issue.

"There was. I'll be careful next time."

"Luckily there was Ryosuke that night," Umika blurted out, apologetically tugging herself towards Mirai and said, "sorry, we didnt hear your call. If we had heard it, we will come find you immediately."

Mirai will never doubt Umika or Chinen's sincerity, she knew they genuinely missed her call. "It's okay. Forgiven." Umika gave them each a soft punch on their shoulders and they all erupted in a harmonious laughter. Almost immediately, Chinen noticed her smiles turn to a hidden frown. 

"Did something happen while you were with Ryosuke? He didnt try anything funny right? If he did, tell me." Chinen asked.

"He didnt... He was very nice," mirai rushed to clarify. Chinen knew he could count on his friend. Deep down, he knows Ryosuke can hurt the world of girls with his playboy mentality but he would not touch the girls who are acquainted with his friends. That he can trust.

"Then why your expression?"

"It's nothing..." Mirai mustered a smile and fought back the unhappy memories. She did not expect her two friends recalled that expression of hers and concluded that it could only be her family that cause such emotions. They could have realised sooner when they knew that it was Ryosuke instead of any other people she more likely have tried to contacted for help. He could only have been her last resort. Umika and Chinen exchanged glances and the latter conveyed subtly that they should let it go as Mirai didnt seem keen on discussing this.

"Oh oh, anyway, Mirai, i brought your favourite dried mango!" Umika took out a packet of it, while Chinen brought their attention to something else such that their eyes all lighted up in excitement.

"And movies!" Chinen said. The trio cheered and spent the next few hours, not thinking of any other things but just spending quality time together. "Wohooo!" They wildly remarked, as they felt an immense load taken away from each of them, albeit temporarily for Mirai. There were many thoughts that ran through her mind as she quietly observed her friends. She became thankful again for having them in her life. She was convinced now that she did not need many many friends, she only need 2 sincere ones that could last a lifetime. Knowing them was the best thing of her life. even though the future remains unknown, she is certain that the friendship among them will only grow stronger. 

That night, after all the rowdiness, she slipped into her bed and stared at her phone. She finally has the time to think for the one person she has incidentally let slip out from her mind. To make up for the rudeness, she knew she had to make a personal call. Yet she hesitated for the longest time as she don't know if she came across as an irritant. In the end she convinced herself that even if she is faulted for this act, she can live with her conscience.

Pressing the call button, the phone rang. However, it wasn't picked up. It sends her a signal that perhaps to him, she was really irritating. His kind gestures still recurred in her mind, his thoughtfulness and gentleness towards her deeply ingrained in her heart, igniting a hope that she can still meet people who dont judge her and shun from her, or mock at her unfitting background. 

When he did not pick up the call, she has to admit that she felt remotely disappointed. Just before she turned in for the night, her phone vibrated. She stretched her arm to her bedside table and grabbed her phone. Immediately after she picked up the phone, the other side came a slightly coarse tone, "hi. I received a missed call from this number. May i know who this is?"

"H-hi... Hiro-kun. Im shida Mirai" she replied with slight tremble in her voice.

"Ah, Mirai-chan! What's up? Sorry i didnt pick up your phone just now. Was bathing."

Mirai's mind drifted, she imagined Hiro out of shower, wet with only a towel wrapped around his lower half of body. She gulped out of nervousness.

"mirai?"

"Ah... Is your injuries alright?"

"Oh... It's really really bad. The doctor said it'll take a few months for it to heal. I have to defer my work until I am completely recovered."

"Heh?!!!" She was shocked, and the guilt naturally surged up her veins as she sensed the severity through his words and tone. But the follow-up was more shocking as he let out a hysteric laughter. Has he gone insane from the harsh reality of his injury - she thought worriedly.

 "You're so gullible, Mirai. I am kidding. The injury was nothing. It healed within a few days. Fortunately, there was no formal work except meetings for me that few days..."

"You're so evil~! I was genuinely worried..."

"for me...that feels good!" Hiro exclaimed, surprising Mirai as much as she found happiness in the remark. No one has ever appreciated her concerns, especially not from someone who she barely knew. Not receiving a reply, Hiro thought his joke went overboard, and that Mirai was angry. 

"Really sorry, Mirai. I never thought of your feelings. Please forgive me,"

She chuckled, then when he realised she pranked him the same way she did, he chuckled with her in unison. 

"In any case, you still owe me a treat for saving you," 

"Definitely."

"I'll be going to your school tomorrow to return the props i used that day. See you then, Mirai~ have a good sleep, mirai~" he said in a mellow voice. Mirai was bewildered by her own calmness after chatting with Hiro. She once again affirmed the fact that he is very different from Mizuo and that he can really make a good friend, if he was ever willing to befriend her. She shut her eyes, let herself sleep in order to embrace the next day when she returned to school.

****

Mirai paced her way to the drama club room after her classes. While she does not belong to the club, her good artistic sense has helped in several club projects and the executive committee appreciates it. Given this reason, She didn't mind contributing, moreover, she would never say no to Umika. However, things were different today. It's not just the drama club, rather throughout the entire day since she returned from her sick leave, she could sense people turning away from her or talking about her in the corner of her eyes. They were gossiping. Instead of annoyance, curiosity coupled with fear and anxiety are more accurate to describe her. She could almost smell trouble, but had to pretend that it didnt bother her.

"Mirai!" Someone shouted from behind. Mirai froze before she could turn behind. She was startled by the abrupt call, then the weight on both sides of her shoulder. His hands were placed comfortably on her shoulders, and his long body has engulfed her in his shadows. She turned around and realised it was none other than Hiro.

"Sorry to have to trouble you to come down to help me with the returning of the props. I didn't know the drama club is out of a outing today," he said

"No worries,"

"Yeah, then it gives us the perfect opportunity to complete the treat you owe me," Hiro laughed. She unknowingly laughed along with her face blushing.

"I'll go keep the items. You wait for me here?"

"You dont need help?"

"Nope, i can handle. Im strong ne" mirai caught his informality and became more casual with him. She liked the interaction, something she has only chinen and Umika to share with. She took the baggage of props from Hiro and proceeded to the props room. 

As soon as she turned in to the room, she did not expect to see 3 year one girls from the club standing right behind her. They looked hostile and seemed malicious. Mirai knew she most certainly do not want to have anything to do with them. The moment she tried to escape, she had herself trapped. The three girls blocked her way out and entrapped her within their clutches, like a vulture waiting out to consume its prey. They closed in on her, leaving her with barely any personal space.

"You're such a . Dont you know what shame is? Chinen has a girlfriend already, and you're pestering him day and night, hogging him from his girlfriend. Then you go on and seduced Ryosuke senpai who also already has a girlfriend too."

"I did not~" Mirai protested at the false allegations, unable to also comprehend what is it that made them have such impression. 

"What a liar!!! You try to act needy, so you can manipulate the guys.if you need us to help you recall..." The more vocal one signalled the other at the side. She retrieved her phone then flashed a few photos to her, and she was in utter shock to see shots of her with Ryosuke on the bicycle that day. People saw, and they weren't happy. She realised how unobservant and insensitive she had been.

"Now you are targeting Suzuki Hiro. You're the real !" The three girls continued to corner her despite her denial over and over. Their words strike her, that these were what Ryosuke warned her about. She couldnt understand then, but now she do. And it was understanding through the hard way.

They pushed her, flinging her from side to side. No matter how much she wanna cry out, she never. No matter how humiliated she was, she tried not to collapse. It became tormenting just to yearn for all the bullying to be over. She tightened her jaw and hold on to her emotions. She felt that she deserved it for her insensitive actions and her shameful hopes of being with one of the guys mentioned. She knew the sense of danger was real. The shadow of her palms raised overhead, devoured her. Her eyes shut in trembling fear as she braced the impact.

"What do you think you're doing?" A voice was raised instead of feeling any impact. What she saw before her eyes was almost like a fairytale scene of a knight saving a damsel in distress. The knight was tall and charming, instantly stealing all the attention from the traumatised damsel. 

"g-gomenasai. We... We didnt mean it," the girls blatantly lied and he wasnt keen to listen to any. He turned to Mirai and asked gently, "are you okay?". Mirai felt a surge of warmth cuddling her weakening heart when she looked into his distressed eyes. Never once a guy was someone so concerned for her. Yet she couldn't answer his question. It was almost like there was a lump in , shutting her up. Instead, her eyes was the one, on the verge of exploding. She dont wanna spread her sadness, neither does she think he deserves to be upset over a girl like her. She pushed him away and dashed out from the room. She tried to run away from those footsteps chasing after her, those of his long legs. Distracted on where she's going, she collided right into another pair of arms, in front of her. Looking up, she saw a different glance. Those eyes met hers, and it was as if those eyes were conveying comfort and sympathy. She hardened her heart, refocused on her intention to escape from everyone and pulled away from him. She pushed through him and ran and ran, faraway where her heart finds comfort. Soon, there was only one pair of footsteps behind hers. As she came to a complete stop in the middle of a deserted path, she found her drops of tears trickling down, then it ran like the stream of amazon river. The suppressed hatred for this world seemed to have exploded from within her. She cried for the unfairness brought upon her, the injustice and the grievances she bottled within her. 

When everything all seems despair, cold and heartless, an embrace saved her, the embrace of perfection that caught her and comforted her broken soul. That firm arms was so gentle on her skin, and his heartbeat against her back was all too therapeutic to her worsening wounds. She felt safe, she felt protected. It's all she wanted now. It's all she need. "kamisama, please let me rest for a while" she silently thought and she let herself do just that, turning around to face him and immersing in his chest filled with sweetness and warmth.