Chapter 4

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

Hiro took the script from the director's coordinator, and one look at the title, he revealed a perplexed expression. "A lover's temptation" it says on the front page. He thought perhaps the title did not do the script justice, but on closer scrutiny, he knew he did not misjudged the content. he heard the notorious name of the lady director, famous for her superb directing skills, infamous for her scandalous work tactics. As a rising star, most would take up this rare offer by the director as it would most certainly assure one shot to fame, a shortcut on so many levels of interpretation. however, to stoop low for success isn't his motivation, neither does it. resonate with his high regards for dignity. He politely rejected without much second thoughts, "I'll think about it, thank you," he told the coordinator but it was just about when a lady with a seductive dressing and thick make-up comprise of dark red lipstick that stands out most paced in. 

 
"young one, full of energy and untapped talents. What you need is a little guidance, nurturing and opportunity, you're on your road to fame. I can offer you all these. come, we can talk in detail over lunch," she sat right beside Hiro, in an uncomfortable proximity, that he almost immediately pulls apart from. he tries not to be rude even in this discomfort, graciously refusing the offer that most rookies would die for. 
 
"sorry. but I don't think I'm suitable. however, i still like to thank you for your high regards. I'll continue to work hard and won't disappoint your admiration, Shimura-san"
 
She appeared prestigious still, with her nose pointing upwards. "that's an unwarranted choice you made. I hope you won't regret, cause such opportunities don't come a second time"
 
"thank you, Shimura-san" he stood up and bowed politely, leaving the script behind and paced out. He was surprised to hear someone by his side, speaking in a curious tone, "wow, I really don't know what to say, Hiro. it's sheer pride of yours that precedes everything else or it's stupidity that led you to give up such a shortcut to your acting career. I wouldn't not reject her offer so quickly, in fact, I won't be able to convince myself to let it go for my dignity or such"
 
Hiro turned to Ryosuke who walked with him towards the exit of Jewel Productions House and Entertainment. The former sniggered and replied in confidence, "exactly why the two of us can't clique well. we have different approaches in life. I won't comment on yours, but I'll never take shortcuts. it may sound stupid because it'll probably take me half the time to succeed, but I find that such successes are shortlived and it could potentially bring you down as fast as it propels you upwards. you should know how vulnerable an artiste life is too, so I really don't have to go into the specifics"
 
Ryosuke wasn't keen to engage further, noting the differing beliefs, but that is not to say he does not understand Shimura-san's promiscuous behaviour and that her offer was indeed a dirty one. He himself wasn't sure if he would take up that offer if he was Hiro, but the truth is, he argued with him for the sake of it, since they never acknowledged each other.
 
Realising Ryosuke's disinterest, Hiro asked, "why are you here? and what happened to you? the bruises on your face can't be nothing right."
 
"it is something, that's why I had to apologise in person to the photographer for the latest Shounen Magazine that I have to postpone the shoot."
 
"at least you have some responsibility..."
 
"it's a bother. I should have insisted to decline the invite. if it isn't because Mizuo agreed on my behalf...." Ryosuke vented. 
 
"she's trying to develop your talent. you are definitely camera material, and not bad with acting skills as well."
 
"you'll be out of business if I were in, you think?" Ryosuke annoyingly commented, and he succeeded in causing a sulk on Hiro's face. "I'm kidding you know that right. I have no wish to be a celebrity. it's hardwork. I just wanna live as an average salaryman who can afford 3 meals and a roof."
 
"unambitious," Hiro commented silently, then went on to ask, "does my sister know your injuries?"
 
"no, I haven't met her the past few days," Ryosuke said.
 
"could you at least be proactive in this relationship? I only saw her putting in effort," Hiro complained, but Ryosuke shrugged it away with an attitude that made Hiro irked, "she's putting in too much effort. in any case, it's between me and her. I'll take note, nonetheless... by the way, where are you heading?"
 
"your school. needed to pick up something for your school's musical."
 
"ah I see. I'll go with you then," Ryosuke volunteered though Hiro didn't require any companion. he was the kind who prefers to be left alone especially at times he needed some silence. the duo attracted some attention from the students leaving or re-entering school. a tall, sunshine looking guy and a average height, charming guy were unlikely to go unnoticed. the latter had his share of 'fan' girls, mostly juniors who greeted him shyly along the way and giggled in excitement. Hiro was appalled by Ryosuke's popularity and worried for his sister that her Casanova boyfriend will eventually be stolen away. he took a glance at Ryosuke who seemed oblivious to his surroundings. The only thing worth admiring about Ryosuke, amid his all other negative points, was that he is humble about the attention he gets. to be exact, he did not care. Hiro focused away from him, as they approached the drama clubroom which was swarming with students busy preparing for the musical. There at one corner, he saw Umika. he walked right towards her, while Ryosuke joined Chinen whose eyes were fixated on Umika and Hiro's exchanges. Ryosuke, as dense as ever, could not tell that perplexed look on Chinen's face and what that implied. 
 
"Hi Hiro-chan!" Umika greeted with a smile, and he too responded warmly. "let me get you the amended script with notes on the changes. I can go through it with you. basically, they are all editorial."
 
"sorry for the trouble" Hiro said. by the side, Chinen was mimicking Hiro, obviously unhappy over his overt kindness. Ryosuke chuckled and remarked, "you're being hilarious Chinen."
 
"you won't understand..." Chinen shut his friend up with his hand pushing the latter's face away. Ryosuke laughed, especially when Chinen wrenched the sides of his pants when Umika and Hiro leaned towards each other as she explained the contents to him. Chinen felt an unexplainable sense of infuriating energy steaming up his blood stream. 
 
Then a group of juniors came over to Umika, "senpai, we can't seem to figure something in the script, can you help us with it?" Umika looked apologetic, unable to decide whether to concentrate on the discussion with Hiro or help the juniors, but fortunately he helped her decide.
 
"go ahead. It's pretty easy to understand. if there's anything I'm unsure, I'll call you."
 
"thanks so much for understanding, Hiro-chan! by the way, I'm meeting Chinen to complete the props preparation at my house this Saturday, if you wanna join in, you can let me know."
 
"oh, I don't mind. but let me check back and let you know again..." Hiro said. Umika left with a smile and as soon as she's gone, Chinen went right up to him.
 
"hi Hiro," he greeted with a condescending smile. Ryosuke stood beside Chinen, silently watching whatever the petite boy wishes to say to the tall one. he did not expect to be a part of his conversation.
 
"for Saturday, it's okay if you cant come actually. we have enough help. Ryosuke is coming, that's more than the manpower required."
 
"HEH?!!!!" Ryosuke's eyes widened in shock that he has agreed to help out in the preparations work without himself knowing when he actually said so. Before he could clarify with Chinen, the latter wrapped his arms over his shoulder and pulled him closer. with this gesture of brotherly support, unconditional apparently, Ryosuke cannot reject. moreover, it's too late to say otherwise, since Hiro took it as that, though he clearly raised his brows at the subtle commotion, "oh, if that's the case, then alright. but if you guys need help, do let me know. I hope to contribute if I can"
 
Hiro right after he said, "I think I go off first. Please let Umika-chan know that I can handle it. also tell her I won't be joining her this Wednesday"
 
Chinen was grinning all the way, pissing Ryosuke who threw his a death glance, "why volunteer me?!! I never knew about this nor agree to it. that's quite rude"
 
"I'm sorry. but I really rather you help us out on Wednesday. at least we're more comfortable with each other right."
 
"that's not the reason, ne..." Ryosuke asserted with a sarcastic tone. 
 
"whatever, Ryosuke... the thing is, you have to help. cause we're best friends" Chinen clinged onto his neck once more. Ryosuke sighed and replied, "I get the hint just now."
 
"thanks Ryo-chan!!!" Chinen cheered in delight. 
 
"Shut up" Ryosuke was annoyed in contrast to Chinen. He didnt stay long to accompany Chinen. on his way out, he bumped into Umika who looked slightly distraught. in fact, she knocked right into Ryosuke without noticing he is in her path.
 
"gomene," she apologised profusely. He didnt know what the problem was, except her eyes was red.
 
"what's wrong?" he showed his concern, though he didnt know her well enough to interfere. but nonetheless, she's his friend's friend.
 
"it's nothing," she rubbed away the tears from her eyes, but his concern definitely started the watershed. no matter how she tried to hide it, it didnt seem to work. there were students all around, and juniors walking closer that may eventually see her terrible state. Ryosuke took her by the wrist and pulled her with him, shielding her and keep her by the side of the stairway against the wall as he made his way up to the rooftop.
 
"I think crying is the last thing you should do. especially not reveal it to your competitors cause they'll use it against you. it's gonna be a weakness that stays for a long time." he said but instead of stopping she cried harder. he went to her and sat beside her at a corner, "you can cry, but it should be in private. ne~"
 
"Ryosuke~"
 
"what happened?" he asked again. She looked at him for a while then only did she slowly let down her guard.
 
"promise me you won't tell anyone, including Chinen"
 
"that's easy, my lips are quite tight" he confidently spoke, and this confidence helped to ease her uncertainty tremendously.
 
"... his friends hated me... they said I'm a , taking up all his time..." she cried and choked on her tears, swallowing her words as she went on.
 
"who are his friends?" he asked first. Umika was wondering why this point is important and deserving of his attention.
 
"those juniors..."
 
Before she could complete her sentence, he interrupted with a surprised tone as he recalled the group that asked for her time when she was in a discussion with Hiro.
 
"They are not Chinen's friends. they are just those girls who have numerous crushes. they are irritating so you really don't have to bother about them"
 
Umika returned the surprised look, wondered why he knew so much about these girls.
 
".. they hangout with Mizuo sometimes. I've conversed with them before, and they can really entertain you with their superficiality and pretentious attitude. so they're really not worth getting upset over." he gave a very bright smile then gently pat the tip of her head. he leaped on his feet and said, "see... you are already feeling better." He walked towards the exit, only stopping when she called out to him.
 
"arigatou, Ryosuke" she said.
 
Turning around, he said something he always wanted to say, "if you really do like him, then just go ahead and like him openly. don't lose out to those girls. I know Chinen well, he gets mistaken easily because he is too kind to everyone. don't feel bad when he does that to other girls, cause it's really just him. personally, you are much more likable than any of those girls. I'll cheer you on, so don't let your supporter down, ne" he gave another smile before disappearing through the door.
 
Umika wiped her tears and looked out into the blue sky filled with marshmallow clouds, dazing and thinking about his words of encouragement and rethinking her options.
 
*****
Mirai should have been thinking about her paranoia of someone else following her every night after work, which she always saw no one when she turned behind. that feeling has been growing stronger these days, but to her, she knew she was being ridiculously imaginative. hence it did not warrant any action to be taken. instead she sat in front of the box of props to be sorted out, seemingly in a trance, deeply thinking about something else. the occurrences that fateful morning was in itself an information-laden event that burdened her since. She recalled the walk out from her house as she made her way to deliver the milk. 
Pacing by his side, as he insisted to push her bicycle carrying the cartons of milk for delivery from one household to another, the atmosphere was tense for her and the silence was unbearable. she couldn't see from his expression whenever she peaked that he sad bothered with what happened yesterday. to be more accurate, he was almost unreadable. there was only dazed face from him. Then suddenly, he felt like attained enlightenment, breaking the silence with his unusually monotonous tone.
 
"Mirai..."
 
startled by the break of the perpetuated silence, she turned to look at him and what she saw was his eyes filled with sadness.
 
"I found my mum."
 
She thought it was good news and had the urge to congratulate him, but his expression did not say so. it felt like there was more behind this line. "have you met her?" she asked.
 
"...yes" he said with a pause. "I found her along Kabuki street in Shinjuku." She could see from his face that he has more to say, so she waited patiently. he took a deep breathe then said with a heavy heart, "Mirai... can I trust you?"
 
"yes..." she said immediately. she wanted so much to be of help to him, and never did she expect the actualisation of her hopeless dream and in such serious circumstances. he smiled at her response. 
 
"I know it was her the instance I saw her. perhaps it is the unexplainable telepathy between mother-son. you know what, Mirai... I am convinced that whatever the reason is that they left me alone, it is because they are forced by life circumstances. I will forgive them. even if they lie to me on the reason, I will take it as the truth. all I want is their acknowledgement, even if we have to live separately. I can visit them or have someone to turn to for a listening ear, i am contented even if it is the bare minimum..."
 
"what happened? did she recognize you?"
 
"I called her, mum. her immediate response was who am I. I wasn't surprised by her reaction. but...when I explained myself, she laughed..."
 
Mirai was bewildered by now. that is unwarranted from a reunion. it should have followed up with joyous tears and a warm embrace, but what she felt was his mother's sarcastic laughter. Ryosuke's tone has become heavier, up till a point she thought he couldn't go on.
 
"she laughed and said 'which one of the Yamadas could she have been with?' I couldn't understand what she said but I knew she is talking about my father. she said she can't remember who. i told her it didnt matter to me if she remembered. frankly reuniting with her would be alright for me too. but you know Mirai, she asked me what do I want from her...Was I not clear enough? was my visit too abrupt that she couldn't digest it immediately? maybe I should make my intention more specific, I thought...'I was looking for you mum, I finally found you..' yet she still asked why am I looking for her?" 
 
His voice was cracking when he went on, "I told her in my most simplest words that we can finally be together as a family.... that was my most sincere words, Mirai! she trampled on my hopes and dreams since forever with that burst of laughter. she was laughing at me...!"
 
"she wouldn't... there must be a misunderstanding..." Mirai looked at him worriedly. she was really confused at the progression of his reunion flashback.
 
"I hope it was... but she couldn't be anymore clearer when she told me, 'son, I applaud your perseverance to find me. really it's commendable thinking how big this country is. however, I must disappoint you, cause I do not have the intentions of being your mum.'"
 
"did you ask her why? she must have her reasons..."
 
"she said..." he was clearly having difficulty continuing, trying at the same time to prevent himself from breaking. "she said... that she would have a dozen families if all her children came to her like I did... i was a retard cause it was only then i paid more attention to her loose dressing and the red light district where we are at with many of whom who dressed the way she did. they were clinging onto men, talking to them in language in their high-pitched voice."
 
Mirai clenched her fingers to her skirt, controlling her tears as she saw her the story developed. Ryosuke didn't stop there, "I hesitated, I admit I was in shock. but I told her almost a second later that it's okay, I don't mind her job. I held her hand but she pushed me away..." he hid a tear that rolled down his eyes as he walked in front of her, wheeling the bicycle. she stood behind, frozen by his mother's heartless abandonment of her child's yearning for his only mother.
 
"you know what else she said, Mirai?" he said with his heart obviously hurting while facing his back against her. she dared not speak cause she didnt know what she should say without hurting him further. with the silence, he continued, "I was hopeful when she walked back towards me. she caressed my face and said something I cannot forget for the rest of my life...'I have given you quite a charming look. while you can't be my son, you can be my customer, ne... I'll give you good rates. I can tell you'll make a good customer."
 
Mirai was speechless and could not possibly imagine how he could have survived that last blow. 
 
"Ryosuke? are you okay?" she stupidly asked after a long silence. he did not reply immediately but when he did, it was a certain, "no." she didnt know how to continue. she saw his hand gestured to clean his face, then Suddenly, he turned around with a smile, very bright. "thank you Mirai! you are a great listener, and sorry for ranting so much. dont worry ne, i know life goes on so i'll be fine." she knew that smile was forced out, she knew it isn't going to be easy to forgive and forget. he turned back to face the front as though it is to hide that unsustainable smile on his face. it could have been that Mirai was entirely out of mind, no probably she was too mentally weak that her heart took over, she led herself to his side and her hands went forward to clutch the handle of her bicycle. it felt warm and tough but not hard, with fresh scars on the surface. it can't be the handle, she finally regained her soul, and when she looked closely, she realised she was clutching his hand placed above the handle. she could not salvage her stupidity cause by the time she realised it, he was looking at her, largely frozen. his eyes widened with surprise by her initiative. her face flushed with heat, burning. she quickly pulled away her hand and averted his gaze. "gambatteyo senpai! I'll cheer you on~ you'll be fine before you know it" she said with a smile to disguise the awkwardness. 
 
"ne." she caught his brief smile and noticed he actually loosened up. She was glad. Moving on for a few steps, suddenly she stopped.
 
"what is it?" he was concerned.
 
"Chotto matte. I think there's something wrong with the bicycle" she said as she hopped on it, testing the mechanics. then before he knows it, she was riding away. without him.
 
"eh?!!!!" Ryosuke protested in shock rather than rage.
 
"you have to rest, senpai! please take leave from school today and recover quickly. bye bye!" she cheerfully waved. 
 
"what are you thinking about Mirai? you look like you're possessed" a guy's voice recalled her senses. She looked towards the door of Umika's study room where she is, and there she saw it was Chinen speaking to her while carrying a big box of more props. Umika is by his side, and Behind them, carrying another huge box was someone she was not prepared to meet yet. he has his sleeves rolled up, revealing his muscles all buffed up with the load bearing on his arms. "R-Ryosuke senpai?" she fumbled over the props on her own hand.
 
"that's rude. you only greeted him~" Chinen teased. Umika giggled.
 
"nandayo, Chinen" Mirai blushed. Instead of acting all awkward, Ryosuke reacted normally, in fact, he went up to her with his arm conveniently wrapped over her shoulders like her brother after he unloaded the items. "that's politeness. you guys are best friends anyway... I'm the new guy in the neighborhood" She was blushing red hot as she felt his body against hers, heat radiating. She concealed herself with her hearty laughter, stretching while creating a more comfortable space between. "exactly" she agreed. that went well cause it seemed no one, especially him sensed the awkward air.
 
"so, Where should we start, ma'am," Ryosuke cheekily asked Umika. the atmosphere is as light as it can be. no one could have guessed that he was bleeding in his heart and everywhere else the other day. to Mirai, there wasn't a trace of what happened that day written on his expression and his interaction. was it like what he said, he is fine already? Mirai observed him silently, while ensuring it wasn't too obvious.
 
"I've separated the props for assembling in boxes. you can find the respective assembling instructions in the boxes as well. Mirai is helping with the banner"
 
"she's doing it alone?" Ryosuke asked. Mirai was secretly happy with his concern. the abrupt twist of her story, with his entrust to her the secret of a lifetime, made her more visible in front of him. while she has yet to discern if the increased visibility is more of a harm than a good, but she could enjoy this for now. then, she made a conscious effort not to be a nuisance since he ever ventilated to her on that point. she shivered as she recalled that day in the teacher's office.
 
"Mirai is good with art," Umika flaunted, with agreement from Chinen.
 
"I see, " Ryosuke gazed with a look of awe.
 
"by the way, why are you here, senpai?" Mirai asked. Chinen however spoke faster than Ryosuke, beating him in answering the question, "well, I thought we needed an extra hand. this fellow is free anyway so I shall tap into his time"
 
"I actually asked for Hiro to join us, but unfortunately he told Chinen that he has something on" Umika answered with Ryosuke adding to her reply, "yes, that. Hiro ... said that he isn't free" he threw a death glance at Chinen. Mirai saw the exchange and raised her brows as she pondered over what she and Umika missed out.
 
The next few hours was spent in concentration with each of them engrossed with their own task at hand. not a single one was distracted, even for Mirai who was constantly in close proximity with Ryosuke. Up till the instance she felt the silence has sustained a tat too long, she initiated a conversation, "graduation exams is coming... how's the preparation for you guys?"
 
"hmm, I think I'm about 70 percent prepared. as for Ryosuke... hmmm I haven't seem him studying. have you even started, Ryosuke? you're not gonna flunk it, will you?" Chinen teased the last boy in school.
 
"what the heck, Chinen... I've of course started preparing... I'll scrap through, somehow" Ryosuke threw a harmless eraser right at Chinen's head. "as always..." the latter laughed, and the two girls joined in the laughter as well. 
 
In the midst of all the preparations, Mirai noticed Ryosuke occasionally looking at Umika and Chinen. she wondered why so when he did it again, she crept up to him and asked, "why are you peeking at them?" she asked.
 
"shhh..." then he leaned closer, making her heart thump faster, and whispered, "I'll tell you later..." exactly because she did not know what it was about, she almost ruined the perfect excuse.
 
"Im going to bring these outside to dry. it'll take a while so make yourself at home okay" she said as she lifted one box of the freshly painted props outside. it was just about when Chinen was done with his set so he joined her outside. Mirai hollered to give them a hand, partly because she felt nervous being alone with Ryosuke but the latter held her back. "don't go, I need you back here" he said. Mirai froze by his words that's too good to believe, and that warmth circled around her wrist by the firm clutch of his hand, radiated to her heart, melting it bit by bit and that sincere plea from his eyes made her go madly in love.