Chapter 14

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

Hiro POV

The immense sense of betrayal ran through my veins. If only i could bring myself to hate her for her stupidity, foolishness. How could she have chosen to walk this path of no return, she ruined herself. I looked at her from a small window of the ward right at the end. The door was tight shut, and even if it wasnt, i am not prepared to step in. I was not in the condition to see her, especially with the hatred burning beneath my skin. That same frustration from me, was shared with her family. As i peeked from the outside, i saw her family flaring at the frail girl, one after another in crude words which are undeniable the truth. The mocking of her insensible self, were exactly my sentiments, minus the selfish thoughts of the family. Yes, it would bring social issues to the family which was not well to do, but i think it would be the concern for the daughter and her dignity as a female which should take precedence. Yet the selfish thoughts of the family's prove no room for other considerations. I saw her crying helplessly as she was lashed by the cruelty of the harsh reprimand and the reality. Once the family left on a heated one-sided conversation, I hid from their view before mustering my courage to step inside. The solemness in the air was so great, it my remaining energies out. I sat beside her bedside, keeping very much silent while her eyes remained fixated at me. I wanted her to feel sorry for burdening me, for breaking my heart, but when i looked at her, I realised I don't have the heart to break her further. On the contrary, i want to embrace her and tell her I'll be here for her. 

I sighed, "why did you not love yourself? If you did, you wouldn't have let this happen. Are you craving that much for love? Are you really that desperate?" I know i told myself I won't raise my voice, i will talk calmly, but it turned out i did everything opposite. I tormented her. Tears welled up in her eyes.

"I have not informed Chinen and Umika. You tell them yourself." She nodded subtly, and just at about at the same time, her phone rang. She wiped her tears, to prepare to pick it up, instead when she saw the name on the caller ID, she froze. I snatched the phone from her, thinking if she dont know how to tell it to him, i would. I want to blast my mind at the guy who started it all. Yet the instance i picked it up and the other side came his oblivious voice of brightness, she grabbed my hands and begged me earnestly. It was a plea from her deep exchange of glance, for me to keep it a secret. I had actually so much to say to him, but i hesitated. Have the situation made me lose my mind as well? I saw how vulnerable she has become, and foresee how difficult life would be for at least 2 years. He wouldnt be here, needless to say, it seemed he didnt know what he has caused since she only knew now as well. It was a surprise given the casanova's experience and how it should be a norm for him to take extra precautions. Anyway, selfish thoughts rushed to my mind, the expectation that she could rely on me, and me alone, as she struggle to survive the premature motherhood. She would eventually give him up. The chance is there. In all sanity or insanity, i did not mind being the caregiver of no blood relations. It was not recklessness, it was simply that my infatuation with a simple girl like Mirai was too strong. Love at first sight wasn't impossible. I let go of my grip of her phone in signalling my agreement to conceal the shocking fact from him. How would this change the future, i care not for now. 

I observed her, so engrossed into her conversations, like nothing has happened today. I saw her frown turned to smiles. I was happy for her, at the same time, felt depressed that Ryosuke could so easily make her cry and laugh, and no matter how he damaged her, it didnt seem like she minds. I tried so hard to cheer her up, but none of that can win her heart. It didnt take long for me to finally understood that my presence is no longer required from this moment, at least for now. So i quietly retreated. even if it wasn't a silent departure, she wouldn't notice i had left.

****
She took the phone by her ears, while the guy on the other side has been asking for a response. "Gomene Ryosuke." She said.

"You okay?" He asked immediately. She became conscious that her cracking tone was too obvious, so she cleared and uplifted her tone to disperse the doubts. "Yeah. I'm just a little tired."

"It's morning in Japan ne. I have just touched down and it's night time"

"What are you doing now?" She asked with her beginning to immerse into the conversation. 

"I reached my hotel about an hour ago, bathed so my hair is slightly moist. You know something, Mirai..."

"Ne?"

"I kinda was yearning for your voice. Quite embarrassing but it has only been a day away, and I'm already like this," his giggles filled the air, shy unlike his usual disregard for his girlfriends. It was the best medication for Mirai's bad day today, a smile emerged from her sunkend wet face.    When he hear her giggles, he giggled as well, "it's embarrassing, you think so too"

"No, it's not just that. It's more like i never expected any of these. You liking me, this is just too surreal. Everything is like a dream."

"It's not. Like i said, you make others wanna protect you. That's something the other girls i hung out with did not make me feel. I never felt like i need to do anything special for them, let alone protecting them. Honestly, they are interested in me only in superficial sense."

"I am weak. I hope i can be stronger and more independent so that you dont have to worry for me or protect me. I want to be a girlfriend who doesn't burden you."

"That's not exactly what i meant. You're wrong about yourself. I am not saying you are weak or not independent. Yes, i think you have heard that i dislike those kind of girls, but you definitely are not one of these. On the contrary, you are so strong that you throw everything upon yourself, even problems that are not yours, like those of your friends, Umika and Chinen. You bottle everything to yourself so that is why i want to protect you and share that burden with you. It is alright if you put up a tough front to other people, but i hope you be yourself when you are with me."

"So if i am whinny and burdensome, you are okay?"

"To you, it's okay. Really, you are an exception. Cause i would like to think your whinning and burdensome requests are unlike those other girls, especially the one with me for this trip."

"Mizuo? What did she do?" She sounded urgent, hoping he fills her sooner with details. 

"She dragged me shopping right after a day's flight. I would have enjoyed it if the journey wasn't so long and the jet lag didn't take a toll on my body"

Mirai pressed upon her heart as she felt a sharp cringe. Was that the feeling of jealousy. If it was, then it is a truly painful emotion. It didnt matter whether he was tired, the fact is that if he wasnt, he would probably have enjoyed shopping with an equally compatible fashionista than me, a figureless girl who is still donning a kid's size undergarment which he had seen it all before. This is one reason why she can't understand his preference for a girl like her, unable to wear a bikini to flaunt on a beach beside the boyfriend with a well toned body. 

Unknowingly, she blurted out what she wished, "i want to go shopping with you too. But i am clueless about brands and not really fashionable"

"Are you kidding me?" He said. For a moment her heart stopped. She thought her request was exactly mock-able. "Of course you have to go shopping with me. I don't take opinions when i shop so it doesn't matter, but i would want to get something you will like me to wear." He giggled along with her then added, "i like to visit cafes too you know. We can chill all day at different cafes."

She became emotional hearing those words. She felt like she has finally got someone. "I need you, Ryosuke," she suddenly said it out again, while her hand touched her tummy.

"Heh?" He was taken aback because he sensed those words were spoken with such seriousness. Then she abruptly explained, "i miss you already, ne!" She laughed.

"You would. And it'll grow on you badly," he joined in the laughter, while adding, "but you know, me too....your lips too."

"Yametteyo, Ryosuke"

"As if you aren't. Now i know you aren't that innocent. We have already, you know, spent a night together," he teased. That was the issue, Mirai thought. She didnt know if she has at that point made a reckless and unnecessary move to tie him down that may have a chance to damage her life entirely. Unnecessary because she never expected him to be attracted to her too. That's insane no matter how convincing his reasons for attraction was.

In the fairy tales and fictional romance novels she wrote, love is in itself a risk. If she does not take the risk, she will never taste the feeling of happiness as she will be stuck in a vicious cycle of torment by the family she is born into. "2 years, everything will be fine right?" she asked.

"I promise you, everything will be fine." his mellow voice cushioned her traumatic day today.

"Can you not hang up the phone? You can go ahead and sleep..." she asked him, sincerely, leaving him in a lost, "heh?"

"please..." she didn't explain more.

He would usually have thought the girl as a bother by now, but he felt like she was earnestly asking for it. So he agreed. Placing the phone beside his bedside, he laid down. With the long hours of flight and being dragged to shop with the pesky ex, he didn't take long to finally fell into a deep sleep. 

She massaged her stomach in an everlasting smile. For now, his reassurance was enough to tide through. 2 years, it'll be over in a blink of an eye. I hope. She plugged in her earphone into her phone and throughout the day in the hospital, she listened to his soft breathing. It is so tranquile, it is so calming to her tense nerves. It is so comforting. It temporarily ceased the nervousness of facing the people who loved her more than she does to herself. She could understand how this news would could as a betrayal... especially when she saw Hiro's eyes when he knew of what she had done (with Ryosuke). 

Before she knows it, Mirai is faced with her two friends. They were no longer looking at her in the same way, they were more than just furious. They were very disappointed. Mirai grip the corner of her shirt, twirling it within her fingers. Her breathing was hasty. In her whole life, her friend's opinion was most important. If they do not give her their blessings, then she do not know how she could live through her days. Holding on to her faint body and her tears, she waited nervously for a response. She saw the glance in Chinen's eyes, so deadly she has never seen before. Even in Umika who has seldom showed that side of vengeance to her. 

"How do you think you deal with it right now? Wait, i think i know what your answer is... I can deal with it. Right?!" Chinen harshly remarked.

"i..." That was what she wanted to say. He knew her too well. But it's also perfectly why he was irritated.

"How?! You enlighten me how? Even if your parents never liked you, at least they provided you a shelter. Now they're disowning you! Plus, now you're am unwed mother, we all know that's a taboo in our town. We can try talking to our parents, but the least you expect is them taking you in. The elderly are not saints to take you in. So how are you gonna raise the kid alone?! I told you to stay away from Ryosuke, but you threw yourself to him! That's crazy, Shida Mirai. You can't even settle yourself, now you have to care for another!"Chinen shouted. Luckily there was no one around at the canal.

"I am sorry," she broke down. Umika was simply too stunned to speak. She does not know which side to take in this confrontation, hence chose a backseat. It was no surprise her cowardice self became more apparent. 

"what's the point of saying sorry to us. You know what, Ryosuke needs to come back now. It is seriously impossible for him not to know and you have to face this crazy ordeal all by yourself. He needs to be responsible in this!' Chinen picked up his phone and dialed Ryosuke's number on the quick dial. before he can call, Mirai tried to snatch the phone from him, "please no..."

"He must know!" Chinen struggled and they both fought in a mess. It isn't hard to figure Mirai's intention. She wanted him to concentrate on his work, and perhaps then he can even come back earlier than 2 years. Umika tried to mediate the mess, but unfortunately, neither was giving in. Chinen accidentally gave her a hard push, causing her to lose her balance and backtrack so much. Fortunately, someone caught her from behind.

"Hiro?" Mirai least expected him. She didnt dare look into his fierce glance, and neither want to think about what he would say to her. There is enough confrontation today, she thought. She doesn't have the courage to face these people anymore. She felt like she should die. Unexpectedly, Hiro took her by her shoulders and shoved her beside him. She looked up at him, but his expression was too unclear with his height, the sun that cast a bright light upon him. His voice, however, was a clear indication.

"Stop it. You two are friends. You don't need me to remind you how important she sees the 2 of you. We all know the stupidity she committed, she is not short of the harsh reactions she has gotten out so far. Like you correctly pointed out, there's no way she can raise the child alone when at the same time, her family has chased her out. She treasures the friendship with you two and that's why she came to personally tell you. Instead of adding on to all the reprimanding and make it harder for her, why not accept the reality and help her out. Yes, I confessed to her and I got rejected. I lost to that chap who we all agree has a promiscuous lifestyle. She is blind to that side of Ryosuke, and has chosen her path anyway. Technically, it's none of my business anymore. But because I still loved her. I will do what I can to help her tide through. If I can do it, I don't see why the two of you can't. She needs the support from the both of you."

Hiro didn't wait for them to reply or react. He took Mirai's hand and pulled her along in the opposite direction. She has no energy left in her to resist him or question him, she merely let him take her away from the tiring space. She can't even remember how, but eventually she ended up at an apartment.

"I know you are gonna decline me again. You've repeatedly done so. If you could at least consider my feelings, don't reject my offer this time. Let me provide you with a shelter during this period while he is not around. You can treat me however you want to. It doesn't matter what you see me as, treat me as invisible if you wish. just don't take everything upon yourself."

It is not like she couldn't comprehend him, but it was all the kindness she is receiving from the person whom she has turned away, such a perfect person whom she found herself not falling in love for but for the other who made her cry so much. 

One morning before, she was discharged from the hospital. She has no visitors, or anyone to help her, so she walked home herself, only to find that she has been abandoned. Pride was too big a concen for the family, that there was simply no room for the daughter who has disgraced the family. SHe only had one miserable luggage of clothes, thrown out into the doorstep of the house she tolerated for 17 years of her life. Was it punishment for loving him, or was it a gift from Ryosuke that gave her an opportunity to leave the house. She pleaded in tears, knelt before the door, but no one answered her pleas. She knew there wouldn't be.

She took her luggage and parted...to where she did not know. There is the corner of her eyes, was the tall figure. He looked upon her with disappointment. Hiro turned his back against her, and left, leaving her alone.

She thought Hiro has closed his door to her, but it turned out, he never did. Instead, he offered her unconditional love which she cannot return. She broke down, and there he brought her into his arms, wrapped her tightly in comforting warmth. "i'll be here if you feel tired."

She leaned on his chest, her arms naturally found a spot on his back, resting upon it and letting her guard loose. She thought deeply, and it was all apologia in her entwined heart. Sorry, Minna. I will bear the consequences. Please let me believe in love no matter how stupid it sounds. Please let me believe in Ryosuke. - Mirai

******

Ryosuke had his cheeks stiffened so badly he couldn't smile another second more. He couldn't even bring himself to entertain another person. With the click of the last photo for the day's photoshoot, he finally let his lips sunk downwards. The female models in a hair of blonde who serenaded him, however, continued the act, as if the shoot is still ongoing. They lustfully tried to get his attention, drowning him in invitations for drinks and for hanging out. His mind was too exhausted to process any of the words. If it wasn't because he didnt want to burn bridges with the models of big companies and make his life more miserable for the coming 2 years, he wouldn't even bother to politely decline them. He returned a Japanese bow and nicely, gentlemanly rejected all their invitations. He found a route of escape, quickly brisk walk to the exit. 

"Ryosuke," he stumbled upon another bright voice that scared him. It was Mizuo standing in his way this time. 

"You're done?" She asked happily like as though she has been looking forward about it the entire day. Reluctant as he is, he replied, "yes," without any enthusiasm.

"Let's go for dinner, then maybe we can explore towards the east of our neighbourhood today."

"Not today. You can try asking that other model, hmm his name, Nakajima Kento... He probably wont turn down your offer, cause he seems really interested in you"

"Ryosuke ~ stop kidding me. He's younger than me you know."

"So? Age doesn't matter"

"You know i wont be interested."

"It's up to you to decide. You don't have to report to me. Anyway, I am going back first. Bye," he massaged the nape of his neck then paced away, but he had no choice to stop when Mizuo became serious.

"You can't go yet. Director wants to have a phone conference with you."

"Me? Are you kidding? You're not trying to make me stay, are you?"

"Do i look like i am kidding. I'm not that lame to lie over a meeting."

Ryosuke had an uneasy feeling. It can't be about the photoshoot since it seemed the magazine editors seemed pleased. It's only 3 days since work officially started, what is it he needed to urgently speak about, Ryosuke thought deeply as he followed Mizuo to the conference room. The room was already prepared for the teleconversation with the head office back in tokyo. He watched the blank screen, waiting patiently for it to turn as he nervously rummaged through the possible agendas he could bring up to him.

Soon enough, the screen revealed the face of the multinational entertainment corporation's top leader, the one who decided on his journey here. For the same reason, the target of Ryosuke's hate. "Yamada Ryosuke-san. How has it been? Is all okay?"

"Yes, thank you for all the arrangements made," he replied graciously with professionalism. If there's one thing he's good at, apart from being master of girls' feelings, he is street smart in dealing with professionals.

"That's good to hear. You must be wondering what's my purpose to chat with you today, and you should know it's not simply about your welfare, though that makes up a big percentage of my purpose of call."

"Yes, please go on. I am listening," he answered. The unusual calmness in the air makes it unbearable.  

"Mizuo is taking a photoshoot for one of these magazines. She needs you to be his partner. We thought it isn't a bad idea to debut the 2 of you in the American market together." Ryosuke took a scan of the magazines on the table and he saw all sorts of unorthodox shoots that didn't coincide with the more conservative culture of Japan. Even for him, it was not easily digestible the extent of which they need to expose. It was the icon of uality and seduction.

"no way i am going to take those photos" he pointed to the revealing coverphotos of the models who were barely covered by anything except a Calvin Klein underwear, and the females with their bikinis. The models were in ual poses, and there were hints of objectification of females.

"then in that case, Mizuo would do it with an assigned model from the U.S head company. meanwhile, you reflect on your professionalism. And i suggest you relook at the contract. You signed your life to us so you do what we assign you with. but since it is your first  month here, we shall give you some space." Ryosuke wasn't at all concerned with the latter part the Director said, instead he looked at Mizuo with distress. 

"give a minute" He said then pulled Mizuo to a corner where the webcam cannot capture. "How can you be okay with these kind of photoshoots."

"I can do anything to get the success I want. It's the fastest way for the people here to learn of us."

"and you let those people touch you how they want you to, and let them toy with your body? seriously, this kind of fame just doesn't resonate with our origin and how we are brought up"

"well, Ryosuke,... we aren't really taught anything. We didn't have our parents to teach us any of those. That kind of conservativeness are for the priviledged people, we aren't. the world has foresaken us, we are both left to fend for ourselves. if you are not gonna do it, I will." Mizuo stepped away and proceeded to the webcam.

"I am doing it, whether or not Ryosuke is doing... let me know the arrangements..." she was interrupted. Ryosuke returned to the webcam in a look of annoyance, but firmly spoke his stand, "I will do it." He said just that, then stormed out. Mizuo was both shocked and glad for his decision. She chased after him and held him by his arms. Touched by his gesture, she said, "i know you still care for me, and wouldn't let those models near me." Ryosuke looked at her deeply, then walked off without another word. Even so, it was enough kindness from Ryosuke for a day.

Ryosuke walked in the cold street with a long coat over his jeans and black top, and the maroon woollen scarf aorund his neck, keeping him warm. His mind pondered over the words Mizuo spoke, "we are both left to fend for ourselves" that he couldn't bear a heart to ignore her. It is precisely these situations that make Ryosuke realise that the two of them were of the same kind, being forsaken by their family and left to fend for themselves. Mizuo was a lonely child, always putting a false front to make people believe that she is doing well. In others' eyes, she is a dominant character, but deep down, she is deeply scarred by the lack of love from her parents and her brother. That slightly longer period of dating her, compared to other ex-girlfriends of his, was because of this reason. He felt like they were both alike. With that thought, he didn't want to leave her alone, or forsake her in this foreign land. Here, there is only the two of them. He needs to watch over her, just like how she watch over him. He did not want to watch her plummet into a dark hole, just like he did, except he has Mirai who held on to him.

*****   

(Credit in photo)