Chapter 2

P.S. I love you (Part 1)

The week of holidays was packed with part time work at a restaurant near Mirai's neighborhood. Most would wanna stay at home and do nothing but for Mirai, it's as impossible as it sounds. She felt sometimes as though she's an adopted child, regarded as a burden in her household, dry the family's resources. She cried alot at night last time, at how they could so heartlessly treat her even though she's their blood related daughter too. Soon, she became numb to their disregard, trying her best to give them no reason to rant on her, earning her life expenses but giving them most of it, maiden at her own home. she spends the remaining time trying to prepare next semester's work such that she ace her classes and attain success in her life. others would have spent their time dating with their other half but in her case, there just isn't the time, nor is anyone interested in a nerd hated by most her classmates. nonetheless, this holiday, her mood was like a roller coaster. the first half of the week was like spring, since the library 'affair' was amazing experience for her. it was still fresh in her mind until it gets destroyed by another.

 
"Mirai! help take orders for table 5." the lady boss called out. Mirai, donning a maid dress with her hair tied up together, hurried to the table. from the back, she could see the customers were a young couple. they were seated close to one corner, tugging each other under their arms, all lovey dovey. She irked a little, then controlled her expression with a smile as she approached them. 
 
"minna-sama. what would you like to order today?" she bowed politely then when she lifted her head, she was shocked to see Mizuo and Ryosuke staring right at her. a few days since that night, wasn't too long, but he didnt seem to have any reaction when he saw her. instead, they ordered their food normally, as though she was just another maiden. that feeling of unreciprocated acquaintance was hard to reconcile. at most times, she would want to be invisible, but this time, she was hoping for some reaction. She avoided the table thereafter, however her eyes remained focused at their intimacy. she pouted the whole night.
 
"Mirai, what are you doing? there's a customer waiting to foot the bill at the counter." it wasn't because she didnt see them but she didnt want to serve them. She dragged herself to the counter and forced a smile upon her face as she finalized their bill.
 
"8,050 yen, please." she said. She looked at him, gentlemanly retrieving his wallet as the girlfriend distract herself on her phone. he counted his money aloud then placed the cash on the tray.
 
"arigatou gozaimasu" she greeted with a bow and likewise for him, though his partner barely did. when she thought it's the end of a zero interaction, he took a step back to the counter. "Mirai~"
 
"You finally acknowledged me~" she ranted to herself softly such that he cannot hear. then she responded, "yes?"
 
He leaned on the counter and whispered to her "how does it pay here?" She was startled by his question, but much more by his intentions. she whispered back in his ears since the lady boss does not like such discussions. "1,000 yen per hour. it's quite high" she realised by the angry stare from Mizuo that she probably breached the out of bounds perimeter of her boyfriend. She quickly withdrew from the close proximity. Ryosuke seemed to have noticed the abrupt reaction. he turned to Mizuo and exchanged a quick glance before giving Mirai a far more distant response like as though he became more cautious. 
 
"I see. thanks," that's all he said. cold. She saw them going out and immediately she slouched in discouragement. she disliked herself for being optimistic over his little kindness; her carelessness for showing her heart. Work went on gloomy until at about time they need to close shop. "Mirai, help to carry these!" the lady boss pointed to the box of cutlery. it weighed a ton. She couldn't obviously see her right of path with the box covering her eye level, fortunately she memorized it, except today was different.
 
"Gomenasai~ I would like to meet the boss" that familiar voice shocked her so badly that she tripped right onto him. "ahhhh~" both screamed as the cutlery toppled over and rained onto the guy.
 
"Ryosuke~! Gomenasai!!!" Mirai rushed to him, shoving away the forks and spoons, frantically checking if he was hurt anywhere. unfortunately, there were cuts over his arms. "Daijoubu. Daijoubu" Ryosuke responded while Mirai engrossed herself with maneuvering around him. he was slightly annoyed by her fidgeting, then the lady boss came out in a more frustrated tone.
 
"Shida Mirai!!! can't you be more careful?!!" she pulled her ears. "itaiii Itai.." Mirai was shoved away from Ryosuke, and the boss took over to hold the boy up, "are you okay, boy?"
 
"I'm fine. really. but... I see that your store only has the 2 of you, and she's pretty weak, ne..." he ridiculed Mirai, without even hesitating. it was most obviously trampling on her for his own agenda, "so are you keen to employ a part time boy too?"
 
"I have no vacancies."
 
"you're the boss, so I'm sure you wanna prevent further accidents, ne. if these were to fall on other customers, they won't be as nice as me to forgive," he argued in a way as if he had won the battle. The lady boss took a good look at Ryosuke, her hands moving his face left and right, then exclaimed "fine. you can attract female customers too. can you start work on Monday?"
 
"sure! I'll come after school, around 5 pm," he enthusiastically cheered. the lady boss returned a stern look in contrast with his cheerful expression and walked away while warning the girl "clean up before you leave. check if he is injured. I'm leaving you to close the door"
 
"hai...," she said, then in a concerted effort, they both exclaimed "bye bye!"
 
"nandayo, senpai..." she grumbled, and her unwillingness was written all over her face. she should be happy working with him, but unfortunately that constant anxiety of being around him would be too much for her to take. she won't be able to concentrate, furthermore she has already been making much mistakes at work, she can't afford to be distracted.
 
"what~ you are not the only one who needed money you know... good things must share, the pay here is so much higher than the work at the construction site"
 
"heh, senpai, you work there?"
 
"I used to. but I quit just now to apply here." as he mentioned, she recalled how he appeared tired every morning, and there were times she saw him, pressing his hands on his nape and his shoulders as though suffering from massive body aches. there was also this one time, at night, she saw him wearing a blank tanktop that flaunts his well-toned body, unloading something heavy from a truck. now it all made sense.
 
"ah, let me get you some cream for your arms," she dashed off even when he said it's okay. She wanted to help him applied it, genuinely because her clumsiness had caused the accident. however, he refused, and applied it himself instead. While she cleaned up the mess, he asked her "your friend, Umika, is not in the country?"
 
"oh, she went overseas for holiday with her family. why?" 
 
Ryosuke replied with an answer that made her stop all her work and looked blankly at him, "hmmm... she never went out with Chinen last friday for the festival..."
 
"what do you mean?"
 
"Chinen said he went out with his other friends instead cause she not attending..."
 
"how could it be? I ... i didnt know." Mirai was both shocked and helpless.
 
"well, it's between the two of them.you can ask her when she's back," he said just as he has finished applying the antiseptic. he stood up from his seat and asked, "anyway, do you really have to look so unwilling when I said I want to work here..."
 
"ah... I'm just..."
 
"just what? am I that scary that you have to avoid me?"
 
"yes.." 
 
"what the" with a look of annoyance, he turned away and said, "fine, if you dislike me so much, I can tell your boss I reconsider"
 
Mirai intuitively grabbed his arms and there was an electrifying feeling running through her veins. she don't know how long it took for her to find back her sanity but it sure took long enough for him to look at her in awkwardness. 
 
"gomene... I didnt mean that... it's just that we didnt have any guys around all this while."
 
"you'll get used to it. I'm not gonna eat you up" he teased, only that he didnt know Mirai's true feelings. Mirai sighed then picked up the fallen items. There came an extra pair of hands. She looked at him in surprise. "it'll be faster if the both of us work on it..." She felt the fuzziness in her heart, completely recovered from the earlier moodiness. she became hopeful that she could get closer to him in time to come, though the fact does not change that she'll never have a chance. however, she is contented if she could be just a friend to him. she's tired of being invisible.
 
"by the way, where do you stay?" Ryosuke asked while helping to lock the door to the shop. She stood behind, with her heart thumping nervously in the still, quiet night. Then, without thinking, she blurted out "same neighborhood as you."
 
Ryosuke paused a while and looked at her with raised brows, "how do you know where I stay?"
 
She fumbled immediately, then worry if he realised she has been more concerned about his traces all these while. she answered nevertheless, "I saw you around~" it isn't exactly a lie cause she did see him once in a blue moon. 
 
"ah yes, now that you say it, I think I see you quite often around. like that day in the train..." 
 
Mirai blushed as she imagined him finding out about her crush on him which basically explains the coincidences. if there's one thing exciting in her life, it's probably how she tries hard to plan such coincidences and imagined commonalities such that it makes the spatial gap between them smaller. 
 
"it's so dangerous to go home late around our neighborhood. hmm, since we are working in the same place from next week, we can keep each other company, ne." Mirai was over the roof when Ryosuke mentioned it. She was struggling to contain her happiness but it was soon overthrown by the anti-climatic. 
 
"I'm not going home tonight though, so see ya in school on Monday! and take care!" Ryosuke walked the other way so fast it was almost like a disappearing act. Her mood plummeted downwards just as fast as he disappeared. Happy of the progression, sad on the ending. it can only be the new week she'll look forward to.
 
****
Chinen slouched on his coach, confused and troubled. he held his phone, hoping to receive a call or message from her, but there wasn't. if it wasn't because of what Ryosuke said to him the day after the festival, he wouldn't be sitting here, brooding over the past matter.
 
"Ryosuke, here!" Chinen hollered to the guy who arrived at the cafe later. Sat beside the 2nd floor window, they got the best view of Harajuku. 
 
"you are unusually late today, Ryosuke? you aren't working yesterday right so you can't have overslept."
 
"nope, I'm not but I can only say it was math overload yesterday that I got concussion"
 
Chinen chuckled, "don't understand~ what did I miss? you were out with Mizuo?"
 
"you know me better right, I prefer alone time. but who knows, the library was occupied by your friend yesterday."
 
"my friend? Mirai?"
 
Ryosuke nodded, and despite knowing that she's down for detention, Chinen was still shocked to know she spend the entire night in the library, and it seemed that they both did. Chinen became worried, and began probing further. 
 
"so, what happened back there? how does math come into the picture?"
 
"she's stuck with her assignment, but because it was junior work, I kinda know how it worked, so I helped. I owed her one. you have an interesting friend, ne Chinen..."
 
"don't you always feel anxious having to interact with girls?" Chinen asked out of curiosity. he was particularly surprised how Ryosuke could spend one entire night with a stranger, moreover from the opposite . he would usually avoid such situation since he's never good with one-to-one interactions.
 
"hmm... I didn't feel that anxious that night... maybe because she is feeling more of the anxiety than me. so seeing her fumble and all made it less for me." When Ryosuke explained, Chinen could agree on his analysis considering Mirai's crush is right by her side on a night with no one else around. it was already insanely weird that she had not hyperventilated and died on the spot. though he knew it isn't possible she blurted out her true feelings, he thought it would be good to double check, just to be safe.
 
"did she tell you anything besides work?"
 
"what's she supposed to tell me?" Ryosuke munched on his food and asked in disregard, not putting his mind into thoughts, but later a sudden enlightenment led him to something worth mentioning "yes she did..."
 
"heh? what is it?" Chinen couldn't curb his impatience and he was too nervous that Mirai actually confessed despite knowing he's already taken by Mizuo. he's really not keen to see 2 girls, one of whom is his friend, to end up fighting over a Casanova. there's really no other better way to describe his best friend, Yamada Ryosuke. 
 
never did Chinen expect that what his best friend were to say is something that caused more anxiety in himself.
 
"Umika"
 
"HEH?!! Umika? what did Mirai tell you?"
 
"chill chill. what do you think she will tell me?" Ryosuke chuckled after seeing the tensed up Chinen. He decided to spare the agony by shedding light on their conversation "she's just saying that the two of you went out for the festival.she didnt wanna come since she has already missed part of it when she rejoin you guys. she didn't want to disrupt the plans so she didnt join in even when I told her I will cover for her if sensei asked"
 
"Umika didn't even meet me~" 
 
Ryosuke saw Chinen's frown, but before he could show his concern, Chinen added "not that it bothers... I have other friends to go with. Mirai should have just come meet me" Ryosuke was sure it was initially a tone of disappointment, so he giggled. Rubbing his nose to conceal his laughter from the annoyed Chinen, he added, "did she say why she did not turn up?"
 
"no. she just sounded so frustrated. I don't owe her you know."
 
"hmm... strange. you sure it's not you who offended her somehow?"
 
"no. i was just talking to my friends while waiting for her. and the wait turned out to be forever."
 
"oh well, I don't know the reason, but I think it's likely your fault."
 
"Ryosuke! you're supposed to be on my side..." he lightly punched Ryosuke on the chest and the latter laughed while defending himself "guys are always the one who's wrong right? it turns out that way most of the time. besides I think you are very insensitive to your surroundings."
 
"excuse me, Ryosuke. I think you're insensitive as well."
 
Ryosuke confidently exclaimed, "nope. for me it's a choice. I choose not to be sensitive."
 
"seriously..." Chinen gave a look of sarcasm while Ryosuke kept his humour up. 
Chinen pondered over and over to try single out how he could possibly have stepped on her foot over an issue and not realised it until she explodes silently. it could of course still be that she just didnt feel like attending, and it had simply nothing to do with him. The longer he broods over this, the more he sensed his own stupidity on how much he become stressed up over her. why was he concerned about how she feels... "ahhhh... don't know don't care!" he slumped back into the coach and shut his eyes tight.
 
******
 
School resumed, and that means the same routine will began. Monday was as usual, started for Mirai with the delivery of milk to every household. She always made a detour to the street where he stayed, just to catch a glimpse of him, coming out of his house with the ruffled look. So far, the chances of seeing that was slim. it happened only thrice in three years of high school. when she did, she saw him with long track pants, a low cut long sleeve teeshirt and his hair fallen over his face. his face however, his morning face was still almost flawless. 
 
Sighed, she could only imagine cause she did not see him today. She rode her bicycle back home before heading to school, unmotivated. When she reached, she saw someone more unmotivated about school than her. Sat on the steps facing the fields, were their favourite spot. A lone girl sat there with her knees tugged near her chest, appearing dejected. Mirai recalled Ryosuke's words and became worried of what could have happened.
 
"Umika!" Mirai mustered a smile and gave her usual upbeat spirit. The girl looked up gradually and received her best friend with a smile. Immediately after taking a seat, she asked Umika, "why look so gloomy? did something happen?"
 
Umika looked at Mirai with a blank face, then she said things that were blatantly hurtful, but were so factually true and explained so much about how harsh reality is. "we are fixated in the web of relationships which we all have a designated place. there's no way we can defy it and try to be someone else. I tried so hard but I am still so far. I don't wanna lose this friendship just to pursue love, Mirai... I think I want things to stay the way it is now, but but my heart hurts so so much~" she cried as she entered Mirai's open arms, which is always opened for her when she needs it. Mirai fought her own tears, while giving Umika soft pat on her back "it's okay...you'll feel better if you cry it out."
 
Her cries got louder, "what should I do, Mirai?!!!"
 
"what exactly happened during the festival? I heard you didn't go."
 
"I.... I saw him with his other friends, laughing and having fun. so I backed out. I was scared he dreaded to go with me alone cause I'm boring."
 
"he has been going with us the past years, Umika"
 
"that's because you were around. you were fun. and Mirai, aren't you forgetting that he spend half the time with his classmates whom he bumped along the way as well."
 
"he definitely didnt agree because of me. Umika, don't look down on yourself okay?" Mirai advised but the truth is, she is the person to say that line cause her own inferior complex was much worst. Time wasn't on their side, as much as Mirai wanted to keep Umika company. once they separated ways to their respective classes, Mirai found herself dragging her feet, dreading to start class with plentiful worries about Umika. Before she could make her way up to level 3 where her classroom is, she heard a commotion near the stairs 
 
"I'm not playing truant if I'm telling you beforehand. it's urgent matter I have to attend to, sensei..." a guy's voice sounded across the corridor. it sounded frustrated, but firm. he knew what he wanted to achieve. time off from school is easy for some teachers but almost impossible for this teacher. Mirai walked a bit closer and realised the student was none other Ryosuke. 
 
the teacher spare no efforts to ridicule him, "you are already not doing very well in my classes. you doze off in school and now you are asking to be excused. no, I'm forbidding it. besides, school is above all."
 
"even if i stayed in class, i wouldnt listen! you at teaching~ anyway, I wasn't intending to ask for your permission! it was a mere courtesy to let you know I'm not attending classes today!" Ryosuke stomped away, but despite the elder sensei shouted across the corridor, he did not stop. His face fumed with anger. in a matter of seconds, he will past Mirai. She wondered if she should ask him what it's about, but the instance she opened , there was no chance or courage for her query. He did have a brief eye contact with her, but his face remained stern and fierce, that all the gentleness and smiles she remembered of him seemed foreign. He slowed down in his crossing of paths with her, but then almost immediately he focused on the front and knocked right into her shoulders as he brushed past her. She stumbled while dumbfounded. Throughout the classes, she eyed to school gates from the window beside her seat, to see if he has returned. however, no one walked through it, all the way till the dismissal bell rang. 
 
****
 
"Umika~ have you found the lead for the talent night musical already? you are so slow!" the senior girl of the drama club reprimanded. the former was lost for words, out of mind, not rebutting at all while her reputation gets trampled upon. She fought her tears, but couldn't, having it run like a water tap went loose.
 
"cry cry cry, all you know it's cry~ you're taking so long to even clean up the warehouse!"
 
"we can help senpai" the clique of year ones and twos volunteered, but the senior girl circumvented any goodwill to the year 3, as though to mean all of this as a punishment. "whoever who helps her clean the room, will be punished too. anyway, lets gather outside for a discussion on the musical now" the instructions was clearly meant to exclude her, soon the warehouse for the props became empty, dark and dusty. She was drowning the room with her tears, with her soft cries escaping in the still surrounds. the only other noise is the sound of the ticking clock. one hour past, and she is not even half done, but she could already hear her club leaving.
 
"uwahhhh.." she got a shocked when she saw a shadow looming behind her while she was squatted down. The shadow leaped in shock too. 
 
"Chinen?" she cleared her tears choked in and said.
 
"you shocked me~" Chinen said, but stopped short when he saw her swollen eyes and nose. he did not expose her right away, except tried to improve her mood with what he thought was the cause.
 
"I've spoken to Mariya to let me help you in this musical." 
 
"she wouldnt allow~" 
 
"oh please. I'm the club president too, so the decision does not lie solely in her. i do not need to seek her permission." Chinen reasoned.
 
"thank you..." Umika murmured. He went on to ask, "who are you intending to ask?"
 
"Ryosuke senpai...he has the best versatility to act in a dual role of prince and the pauper."
 
"Ryosuke~hmm but even if I ask, he might not agree. he is not very keen in the first place, and these days, he didnt seem himself, so I think you see if you could think of someone else."
 
"I really can't think of anyone besides him..." Umika pressed on her nape and said in great stress.
 
"I'm not saying I won't ask. I'll try to ask Ryosuke. there's one backup I can suggest, Ryosuke's girlfriend..."
 
"Mizuo?!" she interrupted.
 
"no, not Mizuo, but her elder brother. Suzuki Hiro. he has graduated, but is apparently winning many spots in short television productions. this pair of Suzuki siblings are really impressive - an aspiring model and another a rising acting talent"
 
"I...I have to speak to Mizuo?" Chinen saw a look of doubts as she asked. he clarified, "I can approach Ryosuke or Mizuo. don't worry about that."
 
"thank you..." Umika bear a smile on her face then she gradually turned the other way and continuing to clean the warehouse. Chinen was lost about her solemn behaviour but it scared him more when she stopped abruptly. Squatting and holding on to the shelves, she paused.
 
"don't come closer~" her voice cracked as Chinen tried to go to her. Even though the shadows covered her face effectively, anyone would already know she's crying. 
 
"I know Mariya is a little harsh earlier, but she's always like that so you don't have to take it to heart."
 
She cried harder but Chinen does not know what it's all about. "Umika, can you just let me take a good look at you... you're scaring me if you keep hiding. I need to know the problem if not I don't know how I can help too" 
 
"I'm useless... just leave me alone~" 
 
"okay, that's it... you are gonna tell me what's this all about, or I'm not leaving..." Chinen forced his way towards her, grabbing her by her shoulders and he was shocked the instance he saw her tears all over. Immediately, his first reaction was pull her into his arms. She struggled, but his tight embrace slowly engulfed her in a ball of comforting warmth. she softened and her arms gradually found a spot on his back. Gently, he whispered in her ears, "it's okay if you don't wanna tell me what's wrong. but you know if you ever need help, I'll be here..."
 
It was hard for Umika to fight the urge to tell Chinen her true feelings towards him, cause that moment of speech could possibly ruin it all. He may simply push her away in shock and run away from the scene. She could imagine it in her head, the fear of losing him was intense that she needed to hold him tightly.
 
****
It would be a lie if she had said she did not feel excited about the first day at work with him, but as she worked through the night, he did not turn up. Lady boss grumbled the entire night, among all the other things that annoy Mirai more. "where's this Yamada Ryosuke?! begged me to employ him but yet he never turned up~ kids these days are downright irresponsible." Angsty boss vented it on the only other person assisting her on a busy night, "can you work faster, Mirai! there's so many customers you know~quickly serve the tea!"
 
"hai," she can only respond in absolute obedience, but her actions were still in a daze, wondering what could have happened that he walked out on his sensei and skipped school and work all together. 
 
"where's the tea!!!" the next chaser got her fumbling. She switched on the tap and the hot water gushed out with her hand right in the way of path. Her reaction was so slow that she couldn't pull away in time. "Itai!!!" she cried and the cup fell into the sink and broke into many pieces. however, she did not recall pulling her hand away from the running tap. instead her hands were pulled away. then there was reprimands ringing by her ears in the midst of pain, while the tinkling sensation of cold water running down the scalded spot, as though putting out a fire. apart from this, she could feel a warm, a cuddling warmth circled around her wrists and cushioning from over her shoulders.
 
"you are really careless~" when Mirai was finally observant of what has happened, she realised it was the person she has been mysterious the whole day. "senpai~" she cleared and tears with her free hand and asked. Looking concerned only with her hand, he gave her zero eye contact, but it was okay for Mirai cause what she saw was her crush tending to her wounds in full concentration. "what can you be thinking~" he said with a perplexed look, as he took her to a corner where he saw the first aid kit and helped apply the antiseptic on her hand.
 
"Shida Mirai!! honestly you're really no help!" the lady boss shrieked when she saw the broken glass and the unserved tea. 
 
"the least you could do is to care for your employee~" he shouted back but the lady boss could not hear it above the surrounding noise. He had the urge to repeat for her to hear, but Mirai stopped him. "senpai, Daijoubu..."
 
"you really only have yourself to blame. just be careful okay..." he warned. She nodded, though her primary concern was one question, "I thought you're not coming?"
 
"I intended to postpone my start work till next monday. i came to explain to her...anyway, since I'm here already, I'll cover you for the night. you go home and tend to your wounds, I handle this"
 
"It's okay, senpai..." she stood up and tried to hold another cup with her scalded hand, and she almost caused another damage to the shop's property if it's not Ryosuke who held her hands along with the toppling cup. "Just go... you'll only be a nuisance here."
 
"you're busy aren't you? I am taking your time" she guiltily responded, unable to take his offer.
 
"I can spare this bit of time before the shop closes," he said coldly then ignored her in case she continues to reject. Mirai could see that he will not tolerate any more arguments from her, nor does he seem like he's in a good mood to engage her in further conversations. as much as she wanted to find out the many questions to his unusual rebellious attitude towards his sensei today, she could tell this is not the best of time. he did not even look at her since, fully concentrated at serving the customers, much more focused than she is. His work pleased the lady boss, as she caught a glimpse of the bossy woman's loosening tension shown on the subtle smile on her face. Mirai quietly exited the shop, without anyone bidding farewell to her. Both of them were too busy to give her any acknowledgement. as much as she's disappointed, she was glad at least that she gets to see him in a better condition than the scary guy she saw back in school. Tossing in her bed when she reached, she couldn't stop wondering what could be the reason for his erratic behaviour. what she didnt know is that the next few days will get more strange.
 
As the week progresses, she did not see Ryosuke in school. Turned out that monday was the last time she saw him. She was curious, so that friday when she finally found time with Chinen and Umika, she was hoping for a chance to probe, and there was a perfect opportunity. Umika and Chinen were discussing about their drama club annual musical, and it was the chance.
 
"Umika, you asked Ryosuke about the musical is it? cause when i texted him, he said you told him about it already," Chinen asked. Mirai on the hand was curious how it seemed like she's the only one who did not see him around, so she silently listened.
 
"yes, I asked him that day when I bumped into him at the stairway," Umika recalled.
 
Umika walked with her head down as she climbed the steps to the senior classes to meet Mariya. On her way up, she could hear Mizuo's voice approaching nearer from the upper stairs. When she finally crossed paths with her, she realised Ryosuke was beside, rather silent as she clinged onto him. Umika paused her steps and hesitated whether to call out to him, but she was too shy. She avoided their gaze as she stood nearer to the wall, giving them the right of path. She wondered if she was even readable without meeting his eyes, as he called out to her. "are you looking for someone?"
 
"i...  am looking for you, senpai..."
 
"ore?" he asked in surprise as she continued to avoid direct eye contact. "what's it about?" he turned to her, causing more anxiety. Needless to say, with Mizuo's glaring stare at her, she couldn't broach the topic. Not that she wanted to make it seem as though she is stealing her boyfriend, it is nothing of that sort, of course, but the look of it, it did feel like she is taking his time away. especially when the two of them seemed to be in the middle of an argument, with their faces still tensed. Ryosuke's was most obvious, since even to Umika, he was usually in smiles or at least without an obvious frown.
 
" We can talk in private," Ryosuke took the initiative to walk back upstairs, signalling Umika to follow suit.
 
"Ryosuke?!" Mizuo grumbled.
 
"It's important matters. so don't be a grump." he said without turning to Mizuo. Umika saw the sharp glare from Mizuo and was so afraid she quickly followed Ryosuke from behind... almost running as she feared the aura from behind. Stupid as it sounds, she walked right into Ryosuke who has already stopped when they reached the rooftop. "gomene..." she rushed to apologise as she backed away.
 
"What is it about you wanted to talk to me?" he softened his tone, from earlier coldness, however, it did not alleviate her tension of speaking up. She adjusted her glasses and said timidly, "the drama club needed a male lead for our upcoming musical... can you help us with it? please."
 
"I see... I'm surprised to see you ask me about his before Chinen..."
 
"it's my responsibility, so I think it's not right to always past it Chinen to do it for me..."
 
"souka..." by the time now, Ryosuke seemed a lot brighter, "I really want to say yes to you since you've asked"
 
"honto?" Umika smiled in joy, unfortunately his answer was still set to disappoint.
 
"but... sorry. I don't think I can help this time. this isn't the best of time for me... I would probably ruin it with my mood."
Umika couldn't hide her dissapointment by this time. She mustered a smile, nonetheless, but it was too fake for Ryosuke not to realise she was forcing it out when she said "daijoubu."
 
"but let me know if I can help in other ways though..."
 
That offer reminded Umika of something else, about Chinen's suggested backup. She readily blurted out that guy's name "Suzuki Hiro"
"heh?"Ryosuke raised his brows and asked, then he consolidated his thoughts and replied, "ah, Suzuki Hiro, Mizuo's brother... i have only met him once though..."
 
Umika once again showed her dissapointment all over her face. He took it to heart and responded with sincerity that she felt instantly, "I can ask Mizuo to convey the invite. I will let you know when she gets back to me... ne, Umika-chan"
 
Umika was surprised he knew her name. She was secretly happy about it, and became convinced why Mirai likes him. He is indeed quite gentleman, albeit a casanova. He is sincere when he wants to, that Umika felt it first-hand.
"but for some reason, he didn't look very well that day. do you know why?" Umika asked Chinen the question Mirai wanted to. Both girls listened carefully
 
"good question, ne... i don't know exactly why. I haven't seen him in school since Monday. I did not even know he was around on tuesday when you spoke to him. I went to Class F a few times, but his seat was mostly empty. His friends are saying he skipped school the past few days though. I texted him instead.."
 
"did he reply?" Mirai blurted out her curiousity.
 
"he did..."
"Ryosuke, do you need help in anything? I heard you skipped school the past few days?" - Chinen
After many hours, Chinen received a reply.
"Sorry to make you worry. I am alright. What's up?" - Ryosuke
Chinen could still sense something weird with him, but proceeded on to this main question.
"Wanted to ask you if you can help out in our musical this year, as the lead" - Chinen
"Your friend, Umika, already told me. I can't help this time, sorry. Chinen, I may finally get to meet my mother. I want to make sure I do not miss this chance, so sorry, I don't really wanna be distracted over other commitments" - Ryosuke
"your mother?! really?!"
"yes. your musical is approaching so thats why I cant help out. sorry"
"its okay... if you need help with the search, let me know.. I await your good news too"
"thanks Chinen. By the way, let Umika know that Hiro has agreed to help. I will send you his number separately."
"okay, thanks so much Ryosuke!"
Ryosuke did not reply after that. Chinen went on to explain since he could see the question marks. "don't tell others about this. Ryosuke is an orphan. As far as he knows, he is brought up by the nuns at the orphanage. He has been searching for his parents for the longest time. He believes that his parents have reasons for leaving him behind, so he is willing to forgive and forget. He heard from the nuns that their contacts saw her around Shinjuku area, so I think he has pumped in all his time looking for her. It hasnt out so much time yet, until this week. so i think he is getting close."
Mirai finally understood those lonely expressions she saw whenever there was no one around him. It was shocking to her that the always cheerful guy who stole the hearts of many, did not have a perfect life too. She looked into the bluish sky and silently wished for the best for him.