Mirror mirror

The Perfect Recipe

As usual, Myungsoo finished dressing up and went to the far end of his room. He stopped in front of the mirror and sighed. No matter how hard he tried, he still didn’t look good. He didn’t really know when or how it started, all this loss of self-confidence, but the result was there.

The others always whispered in his back, quickly shutting up when he turned around and the whispers started to grow louder and louder in his head, even though he couldn’t even make out the words. But, when it made its way into his head, the buzzing sound never left him. He knew he wasn’t the most extroverted person ever. He was shy and didn’t really have a good way with words, always stuttering in the middle of the most important sentences. He tried to remember some days, if the stuttering was there before the whispers or not – which one was the cause and which one was the consequence. But in the end, it didn’t matter, because both were there now.

So he turned to the only person he could consider as a friend, even though people would probably laugh at him even more if they knew how he considered the thing.

The shining surface of the mirror slowly started to move and, after a few seconds of silver blur, another face appeared next to him, the face of a young man who didn’t seem much younger than him. His first smile of the day made its way onto his face.

“Hi, Sungjong.”

The man smiled back, his beautiful, delicate face lifting a weight off of Myungsoo’s gloomy heart. “Myungsoo. How are you today?”

The man shrugged, trying to look indifferent. However, as always, it didn’t work and the reproachful tone of his friend quickly followed.

“Myungsoo. Come on, tell me.”

The man sat down in front of the mirror and the man in the mirror crouched down in front of him. He passed his hands in his hair and, when he spoke again, his voice was far from being indifferent this time. “Why do I have to be so… ugly? Everyone’s going to make fun of me again today…”

When Sungjong spoke, his tone was strict, like the one you would use to scold a child. “Myungsoo. How many times do I have to tell you? You are really handsome. Honestly, I wish I could look like you. Now hold you head up.”

The man did as told and stared in the eyes of his only friend. It was in these moments when he wondered if the other told him all these nice things because he really meant it or because he felt like he had to. But none of that really mattered, because Sungjong was still the one who gave him the courage to get up and go to work every day.

“And now, smile. You’re gorgeous when you smile.”

Myungsoo smiled and slowly got up. “Thank you, Sungjong. See you later.” He grabbed his bag and went off to work.

 

It was a week later when Myungsoo couldn’t even smile at Sungjong’s face in the mirror, too busy trying to stop the tears rolling down his cheeks. He was tired of all this. Tired of the whispers, the stares and the loneliness.

That day, Sungjong whispered something that confused him to no end. “Myungsoo, listen. If nobody can understand you and like you the way you deserve it, why don’t you come with me?”

The sobs stopped and Myungsoo looked in the mirror. “Come… with you? What do you mean?”

Sungjong placed his hand on the surface of the mirror and looked at him in the eye. “Just that. Come with me. You know that you look perfect to me, don’t you?”

The man shook his head in confusion, his brow furrowed. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, but I still have a life and responsibilities.”

 

But it didn’t stop there. Every time Myungsoo would end up in that weak state, Sungjong would ask his vague question again, and every time the other would tell him that he had to be realistic and went on with his life.

But the thing with going on with your life is that, once you hesitate, you can’t find the strength to keep going anymore. That’s how, one day, he hesitated a few more seconds when Sungjong asked him to come with him. How he cleared his throat and finally let out a weak ‘okay’.

How he ended up trapped.

Before he could understand what was happening, he found himself in a big silver room that was the perfect reflection of his own room, without the colors. The only colors he could see were through the mirror, where Sungjong was standing, looking around with a huge smile on his face.

Fear overtook him and he prayed it didn’t mean what he thought it meant. He turned around, looking for the door in his silver room, but there was none. He looked where the window should have been and it wasn’t there either.

Then he turned to the mirror and saw the oh so colorful Sungjong smiling at him.

“Thank you for finally letting me out, Myungsoo.”

And the man realized that it was exactly what he had hoped it wasn’t.

“Sungjong! You-you! You locked me in here?! You… W-why did you do that?”

The man threw him a sorry look and touched the surface of the mirror in that familiar gesture. “I’m sorry, I really am. But I had been locked in there for too long.” He hesitated a moment before adding: “I really tried, you know. Tried to make you believe in yourself, make you realize that you are beautiful. Because you are. I bet the whispers you always hear have nothing to do with criticism. But you kept wasting your life away while I was locked up in that mirror so… I did what I had to do. I guess this is goodbye.”

He went out the door and Myungsoo was left to cry out his silver tears.

 

Sunggyu looked at his reflection in the mirror and smiled when another man appeared on the silver surface.

“Hello, Myungsoo! How do I look today?”

Myungsoo shot him one of his sweet smiles and answered: “Gorgeous, as always.”

 

~ Piou0102 & Maiachan5 ~


 

Okay, so this may or may not be inspired by the Bad MV. :p

Don't forget to comment if you liked it or if you have an idea for a future drabble! :)