Chapter Eight

Find Yourself First

"Stop getting so worked up and sleep, hon. Taec's there. We'll be there tomorrow. And plus Taec told us that there's nothing much to worry about. Prinseung will be fine in no time!" Mrs. Jung declared, but her husband didn't listen and stood up from the bed and faced her instead. 

"It's happening again. Fate's making a way to get things in order already." Mr. Jung claimed. 

"Jiyong-ah...I was thinking... maybe we need to tell her abo-" Mrs. Jung was cut of by the ever so worried Mr. Jung. 

"Can you hear yourself right now? Huh? No! We are not going to tell her!" Jiyong was beginning to yell but his wife ony talked about her argument calmly.

"If you were in her position, wouldn't you want to know too?" 

"And so? If we tell her, what's gonna happen next? She will leave us! Do you think she'll stay?! No, she won't! She'll leave us! My daughter will leave us!" Jiyong could no longer help but raised his voice at his wife.

"That's right!" Her voice was starting get depart from its soft nature. "She IS your daughter! Don't you know your daughter well enough to assure yourself that she will not leave!?"

"If she didn't want to leave us seven years ago, then why did you think she ran away?! Do you want to tell her that her parents left her?! Do you want her to know that she was left to die?!" Jiyong's eyes were filled with anger mixed with something else: insecurity. Come to your senses, Dara! She will be as crushed as she was before if you tell her the truth!"

"I am in my right thinking, but maybe you aren't!" Dara began tearing up because of her fear of Jiwon's yelling. "If you weren't so focused thinking about yourself all the time, then maybe you'd understand your daughter! How much she would want to know about her past! Her real past! Jiyong! For seven years! We trapped her into thinking that she is what she is now! For seven years, we've been trying to cover up the truth and look at what's happening now! She's starting to remember everything!" She paused for a brief moment. "Are you waiting for her to remember everything and think of you as a monster that hid her in the shadows? 'Cause frankly for me, I'd rather help her look for her parents...than have her pointing the trigger at me. Don't wait for it to come from someone else." 

             After Dara's words that hit Jiyong, silence enveloped the confused room. Jiwon was the first to speak up.

"We are not going to tell her anything. And that's final." He closed the argument and hesitantly left the room no matter how much he wanted to hug his wife. 

 

 

Seoul International Hospital.

             

              Hong Bin was multitasking while sitting on the same spot again; one hand was on top of Prinseung's, just like the previous day. And the other was holding his phone while he played Flappy Bird, making sure that his annoyed grunts weren't loud enough to wake up the girl. Soon, the girl started showing emotion in her sleep; Prinseung's brows were now knotted together. Not too long after that, she started panting heavily into the empty room and made small movements as if she was trying to get out of someone's grasp. 

"No! No! Oppa, help me!" She pleaded, but seeing how continued to say similar things, it seemed like in her nightmare, no one gave her a hand. Hong Bin, on the other hand, started panicking and shook her to get her out of her nightmare; 

"Seung-ah! Seung-ah wake up! It's just a dream! Seung-ah!" 

"Help!" This was her last plead before sitting up from the bed and after realising that a pair of hands were holding onto her arms, she cried; "Don't touch me! Let go of me!" Her eyes showed pain and fear with tears that threatened never to stop flowing. 

"Shhh... Prinseung. It's me!" The boy whom she woke up to pointed at himself with a finger, while his other hand was telling her to calm down. "It's okay... nobody's gonna hurt you, alright?" He said softly. And when the frightened girl's vision cleared up a bit, her shoulders fell, and she dropped her guard. But the emotions that flowed didn't stop when she looked into Hong Bin's eyes.

"I'm scared..." She admitted. Hong Bin didn't have a second thought and just wrapped his arms around her lovingly and securely, burrying her face in his chest ensuring her that it was all safe now.

'I'll be here for you.' Hong Bin promised in his mind.

 

Taecwoon allowed himself into the room and was alarmed when he heard familiar sniffs. He rushed beside Prinseung and Hong Bin gave him a worried glance. "Hyung, she was looking for you."

Taecwoon could just nod to the boy. "Prinseung, I'm here. It's okay." He held her arm and she immediately flew out of Hong Bim's safe arms, to her brother's. "Yah! Are you a kid? Stop crying!" He jested to somewhat lift the heavy atmosphere. However, inside him, he was full of fear; fear that his sister might be remembering the reason why she forgot. When Hong Bin saw Prinseung calm down, he quietly left the room to leave the siblings alone for a talk. 

"What did you dream of? Was it that scary? I've never seen you cry over nightmares before.."

"It was dark. And there were some guys holding onto me but I couldn't see their faces. I don't remember what was happening. I was just really scared. I was trying to get out of the man's hold...the I saw you. You were trying to get to me." 

"Forget about it. It was probably just a bad dream." He carressed her hair while she nodded.

"Ah! Right! Leo! I was supposed to visit my savior!" Her mood suddenly changed. 

"Oh yeah! See, Seung-ah! This is what happens when you get sick!" He pushed her forehead with a finger teasingly. "You're getting out tomorrow anyway, so we can just stop by their room before leaving." Prinseung smiled at him. "By the way, ma and pa might not be able to make it today. Something came up." 

"It's okay, i'll see them tomorrow anyway." She shrugged. And at that note, the same nurse that came the other day entered the room holding a change of clothes for Prinseung. 

"Ms. It's time to change clothes." She smiled to her. 

"I'll be outside, okay?" Taecwoon assured his sister and told the nurse to carry on after leaving the room. 

 

           Luckily, there were benches sitting just beside Prinseung's room. One part of it, however, was already occupied by Hong Bin. Taecwoon sat beside his friend and maintained a comfortable silence for a few seconds. Both of the boys sat facing the Nurse Station that was empty except for the files, computers and and trays of blood and urine samples. It was about a minute of silence before one of the talked; 

"I can't tell whether you're like this because you guys are best friends...or because of something else." The brother spoke up but none of them removed their gaze from the counter. "We're cool right now, man. But when it comes to my sister, it's different. You know that." Hong Bin bowed his head slightly in agreement. 

 

Meanwhile, inside the room...

"Ms. Ang ganda mo naman! Yan ang beauty ng Pilipinas!" The nurse exclaimed to Prinseung in a language she couldn't understand.

"Um.. Sorry?" She did her best to imply that she didn't understand anything from what she said. 

"Ay!" The nurse was pretty shocked. "Not a Filipina?" 

"No." Prinseung awkwardly replied with a smile. 

"Oh! I'm very sorry Ms." She said while now helping Prinseung into the clean Hospital gown. "You look a lot like a Filipina! I'm very sorry! you just really reminded me of the Philippines." Her phone started ringing non stop even though she has rejected the consecutive calls. 

"Unnie.." Prinseung called the nurse. "It's okay, you can answer your phone. I can change into this myself." She said, followed by a sincere smile. The nurse thanked the sweet girl and answered her phone after reaching a corner of the room. 

'She's probably a mom.'  Prinseung thought, remembering how much she wanted to become a mom one day.

A minute into the conversation, Prinseung's head felt as if it was being hit against a brick wall when she heard the nurse sing a lullaby. Prinseung closed her eyes due to the pain but heard a singing voice instead.

Tulog na... baby, maganda.

Tulog na... baby, malusog.

"Ms? Ms!" The nurse panicked. The headache started subsiding gradually and so did the voice in Prinseung's mind. Hence, she opened her eyes to see the nervous nurse in front of her. "Was your head hurting?" Her patient just nodded. "It's normal, so you don't have to worry about it. It's a common side effect of the dose we gave you this morning. So in a few minutes, it should be gone. " She smiled. "But if it pursues, call a nurse or Dr. Kim, okay?" The Jung nodded once again before the nurse left. 

           

The next day...         

            On the other side of the hospital, Prinseung's brave super hero and his fiancee has been waiting for three whole days but their expected visitor never came. Just like any scene in a typical hospital room setting, Mark was seated on his bed with his eyes attached to the television screen, while Seul Ki was just next to him, reading a magazine. Mark thought that it was the perfect time to carry out what he's been practicing with the boys so he carried on and called his fiancee's attention with a slight cough, and she slowly put the magazine down on her crossed legs and looked at him. 

"Seul Ki-ah. I've been wanting to talk to you ever since we were in Spain. But stuff kept happening. So I didn't really get the chance to do so."

"Go ahead, say it." She gave him an enthusiastic look. Mark had to pull himself together to tell Seul Ki what he really felt about the whole marriage idea, but she looked so fragile at the moment. Mark knew that Seul Ki truly loved him. She did everything other girls didn't do. She made him smile in the most unusual ways. But the boy believed that he was still not ready to face marriage. 

"I'm sorry." He gathered up all the courage to say the following words. "I'm sorry... I don't think we should push through with the engagement." But he had to pause when he saw her eyes b with tears. Mark wanted to hold her hand but he knew it would make it much harder for her if he did that. 

"What...?" She asked, hoping that what she heard was wrong. For her, Mark was the world. She would go through anything to get to him. She loved him so much. Those few words were a lot to take in for her. 

"I'm not ready... yet." 

"Mark, we're only engaged. It doesn't mean that we're gonna get married tomorrow or today!" Seul Ki tried to reason with him in an attempt to make him change his mind, but it didn't work. 

"No, Seul Ki, listen to me." He pleaded to her with warm eyes. He hated seeing a girl cry. He hated seeing Seul Ki cry. "I don't want you to get tied to me just because your parents told you so... You did everything for me... You gave me your heart. But I can't do the same. Seul Ki, I-"

"Is there someone else?" Seul Ki didn't want to hear the answer because she was already sure. Hearing the answer would just make it worse, but it's too late to back out now. 

"Seul Ki," She interupted him, and just nodded painfully. She knew there was someone else from the beginning, she merely refused to believe it due to the circumstances. "Is it her?"  She let a tear stain the perfectly sweeped floor. But the tears no longer stopped when she didn't hear anything from Mark who just looked away. 

"Mark..." Seul Ki truly did not want to mention it again since it was just a part of his past, but how could she control herself properly when her heart was being shattered. In her head, she had to employ anything she could think of now to make sure the relationship stays. "She's gone..." Mark, again, did not say a word and solely let his tears roll down his pale skin. 

"Mark, she's no longer here... She's gone..." She reminded him. 

"I can't love you when I know myself that my heart still belongs to someone else." He spoke gently, but all those words came out to be harsh in Seul Ki's ears. 

"You'll learn to forget her, Mark. I love you, and you know that..." Her voice got softer and softer. She was still baffled at how she found herself to be fighting with someone who no longer walked the earth. 

"I'm sorry." Mark sternly said. 

"I'm sorry, too." She nodded to him. "I'm sorry that I wasn't able to replace her in there." Seul Ki was talking about his heart and left the room defeated. 

 

"Prins." Mark wiped his tears that flowed non stop ever since Seul Ki left. "Why did you leave...why did you leave me?" 

Mark's POV:

"Ma! I'm leaving!" I casually walked out the house and locked the door behind me. I pulled out my phone from the pocket of my cargo pants and called up Jackson.

"Hey man, I can't come today. Got something importamt going on... Yup! Yeah! Hahaha alright, thanks man." He checked the time and said; "I better hurry up. That girl hasn't called me in days. Something must be up."

So I rushed to my  bestfriend's house. I ran on the pavements, turning left, then right, then left, and then another left before halting in front of  a two storey house that stood as the talleest home in that neighborhood. And usually, see her window on the second floor, opened during Sundays which is why there would always be flies buzzing around her bedroom in the morning. I wonder why it's closed today. After looking at the house intently, I also noticed that aunt probably didn't cook since there wasn't smoke coming out of the small pipe on the roof that was connected to the kitchen stove. 

When I looked at the main door of the house before crossing the road to get there, a sign stood on the dying grass but the text wasn't large enough to see from afar. But when I read it with my own eyes, my world crashed down. 

I panicked. I didn't know what to do. I went around asking people if they knew where the family went but no one was able to give me the answer I wanted. Then, I remembered aunt's closest friend that was at their place every time I visited Prins, good thing she lived just a block away. But I didn't get the answer i wanted from her either: I asked her if she knew where the Kwons went. And I never thought Prins could do that to me; to leave for America withouth even telling me. 

That night itself, I cried for hours and hours. I didn't know what to feel; sad or mad? Sad that i'll never see her again? or mad because she didn't even tell me? Because I felt betrayed. 

The tears stopped. But the feelings didn't. I sat on my bed, back against the wall. Staring at a framed picture of the two of us; laughing and smiling. And that's how that day ended. 

 

The next day...

I thought last night was bad enough. But I realised; the bad only gets worse. Mom barged in my room and woke me up mercilessly. i didn't want to wake up. I didn't want to remember. But ma wouldn't stop until I was finally awake. Not by her hands that shook me, but the words that I started hearing from '9 o'clock News'.

When I stared at the television, everything was so unreal. It was my favorite anchor woman denoting an accident. I never thought her words would kill me;

'Today morning, it was reported by Seoul Airlines that flight A554 to the united States of America that left Seoul at nine am yesterday, crash landed.....' This didn't kill me yet. This did:

A liost of unknown names kept flashing on the screen. The first list were of survivors:

Kim Yoona

Kim Jaejoong

Cha Tae Hyun 

Cha Sun woo

Lee Minhyuk 

Kwon Jiyong 

Kwon Taecwoon

Kwon Dara 

Oh Sehun

I saw the Kwon's names. but one of them were missing. I carefully looked at every list that flashed on the television. And I was so relieved when I saw her name. But my hopes fell from the sky to the ground when I saw the category of the list:

'We are sending our deepest condolences to the families of:

Ahn Yi An

Lee Seul Bi 

Go Eun Byul 

Kim Tan

Kim Yugyeom 

Kwon Prinseung'

'And now for the weather...'

"No..No..No! NO! PRINSEUNG-AH! PRINSEUNG-AH!" I could no longer fight the urge to completely break down. "MA! THAT'S NOT REAL!" Ma just hugged me close, tearing up as well. 

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think this was the longest chapter I've written so far. Revelations, revelations everywheeeeere.

Credits to who ever owns that picture I used in the. Flashback.

Who is Kwon Prinseung and who is Jung Prinseung????