Chapter Six

Lamia Febris

Jungkook sighed to himself. First day of school and he’d already gotten in an unnecessary mix up. It was the last thing he wanted to do. He shook his head and rubbed his face and felt his red eye pulsate. And what was up with this eye? Why did it hurt at random? Why did it make his entire body ache with pain? Jungkook took a long breath before he got up walking into another section of the school. He looked up at the sign and it said Block 3. He looked around searching for his classroom. He could’ve sworn that when he was on his way there he’d passed this way, but it didn’t look very familiar.

As Jungkook walked down the long hallways he looked through the windows of each classroom seeing that the kids looked a bit older. Hmm, this must be the juniors that Kai had spoken about. Jungkook looked behind him and saw that the hallway led to a dead end so he turned around and kept walking straight. It would’ve probably been smarter to ask someone for directions but he didn’t want to socialize with anyone so there was no point. As he walked farther down the hallway he saw a staircase winding up and down the building to his left. He remember that his class was on the second floor so he started taking a couple of steps up until he saw a group of boys coming down the same flight.

“Well well well look at what we have here,” said one of the boys standing behind a taller guy. The guy in front of the small crew had greyish dark hair. His height was probably a bit taller than Jungkook’s. The boy’s position was laid back but stern as if he was ready to pounce on something if he needed too. His eyes were hypnotic like a dark grey or blue positioned deeper into his face so that they were almost surrounded by small shadows. His skin was pale and he had pointy black taper earrings that pierced his lobes. From first glance you knew he was a vampire.

“Looks like we got new meat boys,” said another guy behind the leader like presence. The stern looking guy in the front stepped down two stairs until he stood right over Jungkook. From this position Jungkook had no choice but to look up unless he wanted to stare straight ahead at the boy’s crotch. He’d worn an all-black button up shirt that Jungkook followed up to look at the boy’s face.

“You’re the boy from the accident aren’t you?” he said smoothly tilting his head to the side. Jungkook blinked not knowing if he should tangle in the likes of these boys.

“Hansol he’s definitely the one, look at his eye it looks like it’s already bled to death,” said one of the followers making the whole crew chuckle. Hansol? As in the guy that Kai wanted Jungkook to stay away from? .

“I’m not ing blind,” said Hansol sharply not taking his eyes away from Jungkook’s red one causing the boys behind him to shut up. Hansol tightened his jaw and gestured one hand out to Jungkook,

“Kim Hansol,” he said waiting for Jungkook to reply. He didn’t, knowing that Hansol is in the same category as Taehyung he wanted nothing to do with the boy.

“They say he doesn’t speak,” said one of the boys behind him a little more cautious with his tone. Hansol breathed deeply tightening his jaw while he placed his hands in his pockets. Jungkook wasn’t going to step down or look like a punk to this guy. He’d already gone through unnecessary stuff earlier today not even including the whispers and loud thoughts of the students in his classroom, he was not about to let this add on to that list. Jungkook breathed deeply and stepped to the side tightening his own jaw to walk past the group. But before he could take that one step on the next stair his eye pulsated.

“Now now, no need to rush,” said one of Hansol’s back up dancers.

“We just wanted to make friends that’s all,” said another stepping in front of Jungkook. Jungkook sighed audibly tightening his jaw. There was no reason he should be put through all this especially on the first day.

“Boys chill out, he probably has gone through his own pile of earlier today. Give him a break,” said Hansol behind him. Jungkook was surprised to think that the boy slightly understood his situation. At that very moment Jungkook’s entire right side of his body felt a spike-like sensation running from his shoulder down to his hip. He quickly reacted by balling up his fist trying not to show weakness in front of the group of boys. The best he could do was keep his reaction to only him bending his right knee and standing back up straight again.

“You ok there buddy?” asked one of the boys in front of him. Jungkook’s eye pulsated again shooting a sharp pain to the back of his head. At that moment his body curled forward bending down covering his red eye as he dropped to the floor. A bunch of “whoah’s” were let out as Jungkook fell to the step. He felt a warm large hand on his back support him to stay up.

“Easy,” said Hansol in Jungkook’s ear. As soon as Hansol’s words hit Jungkoook’s ears, the boy’s gums flared in an itching sensation around the pointed teeth he’d grown in recently. Jungkook’s head started to pulsate as his red eye sent shock waves to the back of his neck and down his spine. Jungkook groaned out in pain as he curled forward more biting his lip so hard he could’ve sworn he was bleeding.

“What’s wrong with this freak?” said the boys in front of him. Jungkook didn’t need this to happen right now. All he wanted was to get back to his classroom and get through the rest of the day in one piece.

“You boys head back before the teacher comes searching for us again,” said Hansol shifting Jungkook to put the boy’s arm over his own shoulder.

“What are you doing Hansol? Just leave him here,” they said stepping towards Jungkook. Jungkook felt Hansol’s head straighten to their direction. He heard nothing but silence and looked up to see the boys’ pale faces looking at the guy behind him. Why did they look so intimidated? Jungkook’s head tossed forward as he felt another wave of pain hit the side of his stomach.

“Go,” he heard Hansol’s low voice command. Without lifting his head Jungkook heard the boys walk past him down the stairs and felt his body rise with Hansol up the steps. Jungkook tried to pull away but Hansol’s grip with the mix of random heats of pain didn’t allow him much leeway.

“Keep still I’m getting you to the nurse,” Hansol said getting him up the steps. They’d only gone up one flight of stairs and walked a couple of steps to the left until they got to the nurse’s office. Hansol opened the door still supporting Jungkook on his left shoulder as another of pain hit Jungkook’s right side. Jungkook fell onto the bed faster as Hansol was trying to put him down. The electric waves that crept up Jungkook’s leg caused him to curl up.

“What’s going on with you?” whispered Hansol under his breath. Jungkook didn’t answer as he tried to control more of his breathing.

“The nurse won’t be back in for another two minutes. Will you be ok by yourself?” said Hansol moving over to Jungkook as he came out of his protective curl. Jungkook had started to sweat as he looked up at Hansol. The guy was still in his cool engrossed stance with both of his hands in his pockets. He was staring down at Jungkook’s spazzing body and Jungkook could only blink at the guy.

“Don’t ask me why I helped you,” he said turning around to the door, “because I don’t even know myself,” he said as he walked out the door waving one hand without looking back. Jungkook could only hear the pulsing in his ear as his red eye flared again. At that moment Jungkook’s vision went black.

 

Lamia Febris

 

When Jungkook woke up his eyes were staring at the white ceiling. His vision was a bit blurry but it cleared the more he blinked. He tried turning his head but the soreness of his neck caused him to stop mid motion. He felt a soreness come from his bottom lip as well.

“Oh good you’re awake,” said a voice coming from the left side of him. He was laying down in the bed that was pushed up against the wall from the back. It wasn’t the softest bed but it would do for the occasion. The bed was surrounded by an open curtain that hung from the ceiling. A standby IV was posted at the head of his bed but was not hooked up to Jungkook. He tried turning his head more slowly to the direction of the voice and saw the doctor that had been at the hospital with his uncle. The replacement volunteer.

“You remember me don’t you?” said the nurse coming over to Jungkook quickly flashing his eyes with a small flashlight without hesitation. Jungkook blinked rapidly at the bright light and scrunched his forehead but nodded in response.

“Good, then you should also know that this is the school that I’m a nurse at. You should be happy that I already know a bit about your case, it makes it a lot easier,” he said winking down at Jungkook. Since when was Jungkook a case?

“Just to re-introduce myself my name is Jin. I’m the nurse here as I’ve already said and I’ll take care of you so you don’t need to worry.” Jungkook looked to the opposite side of him and saw an open window that was next to a clock that read 2:15. His eyes grew wide at the time.

“Yeah,” said the nurse grabbing a small rolling chair with no back or arms next to the bed, “you’ve been out for about three hours.” Jungkook’s head turned at the new information his eyes still wide.

“I thought you’d be out longer than that but thankfully you weren’t.” He then took a Popsicle stick and a small metal tool with a little mirror at the end and got closer to Jungkook’s mouth. What is this the dentist? Jungkook flinched back and Jin scrunched his forehead in mild frustration.

“I’m not taking your teeth out I need to check your fangs” he said tapping Jungkook’s nose. Jungkook’s nostrils flared and he glared at the nurse opening his mouth against his will. Jin smiled in satisfaction and got closer to his teeth.

“When you tapped out your fangs were fully protruded, they even stuck holes in your lips. I thought you’d go crazy with hunger or something considering they were out so I had to strap you down,” he said rolling away putting the tools back down on a nearby table. Jungkook didn’t even notice the leather straps that caressed around his bicep and lower ankles until Jin had mentioned it. His eyes went wide as he struggled in anxiety trying not to replay the scene that he had gone through at the hospital.

“Hey hey hey, keep calm,” said Jin rolling back smiling at Jungkook. His red eyes started to pulsate slightly and he breathed deeply trying to calm down.

“The more you struggle the more you’ll get hurt,” said Jin smiling at him moving down to unstrap his ankles then up to his arms. Jungkook could breathe normally again as he was set free.

“How’s he doing?” he heard a familiar voice come from the other side of the room where the entrance door was.

“He’s fine,” said Jin unhooking the strap from the bottom of the bed stashing it under the bed itself and pulling the cover back down on the side.

“He freaked out a little bit but he’s fine. He woke up faster than I thought,” Jin added. Jungkook watched as his uncle came over to the opposite side of his bed blocking Jungkook’s site of the window.

“His changing is a bit different than the normal transformation isn’t it,” said Yoongi looking down at Jungkook and back to Jin. Jin nodded and stood up straightening his white nurse jacket.

“Quite, but it also could be because of the trauma that happened right before,” said Jin going over to a cabinet unlocking it pulling out a pouch like container and locking the cabinet back. Jin came over and handed the pouch to Jungkook as he pushed a button to sit Jungkook’s bed up into a seating position.

“Drink, it’ll help calm you down and it’ll heal your lips faster,” he said smiling at Jungkook. Jungkook looked from Jin to his uncle. Yoongi nodded at him with his arms crossed gesturing him to take the pouch. Slowly Jungkook reached out with a sore arm and pulled the pouch to his lips sipping through the nozzle feeling the familiar metallic taste hit his tongue. Blood. He drunk the pouch dry surprisingly his lips when finished handing the empty thing to the nurse who smiled taking it out of his hands and to a separate bag behind his desk.

“Was there anything that got you riled up before you remember passing out?” said Yoongi as Jungkook turned to look at him. There was no point of telling him what had happened with Hansol and his crew because then he’d have to mention Taehyung and the anticipated reaction of all the students. In other words, it was unnecessary. Jungkook shook his head no and Yoongi sighed at the boy looking back to Jin.

“Can he continue with the rest of the day or should he go home?” asked his Uncle. Jin shrugged in response putting his hands in his nurse jacket.

“It’s up to the boy really. He was sweating bullets when I came in here and looked in a lot of pain,” he said looking down at Jungkook. Both of the men looked at Jungkook as Jungkook looked forward towards the door. He saw a shadow on the floor in front of the entrance of the door and looked at the wall next to the door mildly seeing a figure in the wall.

“Jungkook?” said Yoongi. At that moment the figure walked passed the door and down the hall.