Chapter Nineteen

Lamia Febris

Lamia Febris Chapter Nineteen 

When Jungkook got home he tried to rush to the bathroom without getting noticed but his uncle was already there waiting for him. He took one look at Jungkook’s face and just shook his head. 

“Jungkook…” Was all he could get out before Jungkook began to cry again. His uncle moved forward to embrace Jungkook but Jungkook stepped back.

“Look Jungkook, I…I don’t know what to do. I never thought any of this would happen. I loved your parents and I promised them I’d take care of you but I just don’ know how. To be honest I was relieved when you were born human. You were always so shy as a child and so cautious of everything around you. I used to tease your father about it saying you were the most paranoid baby when you were born, you just never trusted anyone.” Yoongi said, his eyes watering a bit at the thought of Jungkook’s parents. 

“I just miss my sister so much and god Jungkook I promised her…I promised her I’d look after you if anything bad happened but I can only do that if you let me. Jungkook I know you’re hurting but you don’t have to do it alone.” Yoongi said and when he reached out this time Jungkook allowed his uncle to pull him into his arms. 

“I…I’m just so scared, everyone’s gunning for me when I didn’t even want this. I was never the popular kid at my old school but at least I fit in, here I’m a freak amongst the vampires and I’m always so hungry uncle. How do you do it, how do you stop yourself from just…letting go?” Jungkook asked honestly, flashes of Taehyung going through his head. Why did the boy taste so amazing to him? Everything else was hardly bearable but from what Jungkook learned Taehyung should taste worse than dirt. Taehyung just made his body ache in the best of ways, it was like he was so close to feeling normal when he drank from Taehyung, the hunger disappearing for a bit before it came back with a vengeance. 

“Years of practice, and being born this way helps a lot, but what helps me the most is knowing that I have people to look out for. Jungkook I know it’s hard on you but I just know you can do it, you don’t have a choice.” Yoongi said softly. 

Jungkook knew his uncle was only trying to help but he couldn’t help but feel bitter. He was forced into this life, a life with more blood and secrets than he had ever seen in his life. This should have never have happened to Jungkook, but it did and now he had to face it. It didn’t help that there were secrets going around and he just needed to find out what they were, he supposed being a vampire made him more curious. 

“Would you like to maybe spend time with me, I hardly got to see you grow up and now we live together. I think it’s time we tried to act more like a family don’t you think?” Yoongi asked. Jungkook nodded his head and followed Yoongi into the living room before saying, “Let me get cleaned up a bit first, I’m not used to being covered in blood when I cry.” Jungkook said, trying to laugh off the still creepy new body function. 

“Oh yes, I’ll find a movie for us to watch. You like those right?” Yoongi asked to which Jungkook simply laughed a bit and said yea. 

As Jungkook was drying off his face his cell phone began to vibrate in his pocket. Jungkook didn’t have to check the phone to know who it was, he knew Jimin would alert him when the video was ready to be watched. As Jungkook went downstairs to watch the video with Yoongi he only had two things on his mind. What was on the tape and why was it a secret. 

~Lamia Febris~

Jungkook had gotten up early to head over to Jimin’s house to watch the tape before school. Jimin had said he just couldn’t wait any longer to watch it so Jungkook hurried as fast as  he could. 

Yoongi had wanted to drive Jungkook to school but Jungkook politely refused, saying he was meeting a friend. He was happy to know that Yoongi didn’t pry when he didn’t mention a name. Jungkook was slowly beginning to trust his uncle but he felt safer knowing that his uncle had no clue that Jimin was his friend.  

When Jungkook arrived at Jimin’s house, Jimin’s mother had already left for school in order to prep for class. Jimin’s dad was home however, in the kitchen cooking pancakes and sausage. The man wasn’t very tall, a little above average if that. He wore glasses similar to the one’s he had seen on Jimin’s desk. While Jimin got his looks from his mother his smile was all from his father. 

“Oh you must be Jungkook, Jimin is up in his room waiting for you. Tell him to hurry down for breakfast so I can drive you both to school. I have some blood bags here in case you’re hungry as well.” He said but Jungkook just smiled and said,

“No thanks Mr. Park, I ate this morning.” Before heading to Jimin’s room remembering where it was from yesterday. 

When Jungkook opened the door to Jimin’s room he found his friend wrestling to pull on his school uniform shirt. When Jimin finally got his head through he jumped back in surprise to see Jungkook there, he must not have heard him come in. Jimin was quick to recover however and said,  “Are you ready for the unveiling!”  

“Ready as I’ll ever be, let’s do this.” Jungkook said, shutting Jimin’s door and locking it just in case. Jungkook noticed that Jimin smelt off a bit, his nerves must be running wild. The boy was even sweating a bit and it was actually pretty cold in Jimin’s room. 

“You don’t have to watch this yea know, I can handle it by myself. It’s a vampire problem anyway,” Jungkook tried to say but Jimin shook his head. 

“No I can do this, we’re in this together whether we like it or not. Now let’s break out the popcorn and let’s begin.” Jimin said before tapping away at his keys to pull up the video file. 

When the video started they skipped it up to the part that they had seen previously before the footage got cut, then they watched. 

The first thing they saw was the same man with the scar slice open the boy’s face, digging into the boy’s face…he was carving the boy up. Jimin was breathing heavier beside Jungkook, his heart beating fast like a canary trapped in a cage. 

The man took a step back from the boy and walked out of site only to walk back with large kitchen knife of some sort, one used to cut thick slabs of meat…

Jimin wasn’t quick enough to cover his eyes before catching a glimpse of the man forcing the knife down into the boys left knee cap, blood spurting from the nasty wound. 

“Make it stop…make it stop Jungkook!” Jimin yelled, hiding his face from behind his hands. Jungkook moved fast to fast forward the video, skipping the grizzly images of the torment being brought upon the student. 

In the last few minutes of the video Jungkook watched the man pull out a large needle from his coat pocket and push it into the ruined skin of the student. The skin was bloody and now burnet apparently.

“It’s gone,” Jungkook whispered looking over at Jimin who was shaking in his seat from the shock of it all. Jungkook felt the pit of his stomach cramp up as he smelt the sweet scent of Jimin’s fear, only giving himself a bigger reason to hate himself. 

“Why would they do that to some one? He…he was just a student, Jungkook?” Jimin said but Jungkook stood up quickly and distanced himself from his friend, the familiar ache in his jaw from his growing in fangs threating to come free. 

“Stay back!” Jungkook said quickly, hiding his mouth from behind his hand. “I…they were testing something on the boy I think. They injected him with something at the end, after setting him on fire…” 

“Jungkook, this is bigger than us…we can’t just sit here. What do we do?” Jimin asked, staring up at Jungkook as if he had all the answers not fearful at all about the fact that his fear was making Jungkook hungry. 

“We…we go downstairs, we go to class and figure it out from there. We need a distraction I think.” Jungkook told his friend before walking to the bedroom door and openining it, feeling his nose with the scent of maple syrip and meat, anything to distract himself. 

“So pancakes?” Jimin asked moving past Jungkook to head downstairs. 

“Yea…pancakes.” 

~Lamia Febris~ 

After Jimin’s dad dropped them off they headed straight for their lockers to gather the things they would need for class. When Jungkook was pulling his binder from his locker Jimin nearly slammed the small metal locker door on Jungkook’s hand. Jungkook was sure if he wasn’t a vampire he would have now broken fingers. 

“Jimin what the hell?!” Jungkook said before saying, “What’s wrong.” When he saw the fearful look on Jimin’s face. 

“That’s not possible…he shouldn’t be here.” Jimin said. Jungkook looked in the direction of Jimin’s worry only to get worried himself, there in front of them was the student they had just seen get tortured. 

“How is he even here, he shouldn’t be here!” Jimin said but Jungkook quickly slapped a hand over Jimin’s mouth. 

“Shh, we aren’t supposed to know that remember, but you are right. He shouldn’t even be walking let alone smiling. Jungkook watched the student rub his neck sheepishly as students ran up to him to ask him questions. 

Jungkook could faintly here him say, “I just haven’t been eating well as of late but I feel much better now, so sorry for scaring everyone.” The boy said. Jungkook knew it was utter crap however, he had the proof and he needed to get the boy alone but that didn’t seem possible with all those people swarming him.

“We need to get him alone, you know how to do that?” Jungkook asked Jimin who shook his head no, until he changed his mind and said, “Wait look.” 

Jungkook turned his attention over to see Kai walk over and the student away. Jungkook could hear Kai talking about how the students shouldn’t swarm the boy seeing as he just got back from something a bit traumatic. 

In order to get to him they would need to get through Kai first, easier said than done.