Chapter Ten

Lamia Febris

As the alarm rung through everyone’s ears in the room Jungkook watched as people stayed in their seats looking around in the darkness in confusion. He heard the phone ring from the front of the room and moved his attention to Jimin’s mother. She picked up the school phone and Jungkook watched her eye’s get wide in shock and panic.

“Ok, ok,” she said quickly hanging up the phone. “Ok everyone,” she said louder to the crowd of confused students, “everyone stay in your seats this is not a drill we have a situation that is about to be handled and under control.” Jungkook observed as the students started to get uncomfortable and move around.

“Stay in your seats!” she yelled louder. Jungkook looked over to Jimin who was perfectly calm and watched as he got up trying to maneuver himself carefully to the door that opened from the back of the class.

“Ma I got it,” he yelled to his mother who was walking towards the front of the classroom door. Jungkook felt a sharp pain spark into his red eye and he leaned forward grunting to himself. It started to pulsate as the electric string of shock moved down his cheek then to his gums making them feel inflamed. He squeezed his eyes shut trying to rub the pain away.

He heard Jimin hit his foot against a desk and looked up. He’d seen a figure, like a human figure filled with an orange and yellow swirl of color. But the direction he was looking didn’t make sense to him. He could’ve sworn that when the lights were off that there was a wall, and the more he stared at that direction the more he realized that that figure was running straight to the door where Jimin was moving to lock. The human figure was fast and hunched moving his head constantly from side to side. Jungkook’s eyes widened as the pain shot up the back of his spine and pulsated making his iris burn.

His gums were on fire as his fangs started to peek out of his gums making his mouth burn. His breath fell hard and fast as he looked back up to see that Jimin had finally made his way to the door, and so did the figure behind the wall.

“Jimin!” Jungkook tried to yell but the pain of his throbbing eye had heightened its shock making Jungkook stand and bend out of his chair. At that moment the door slammed opened and Jungkook heard the shocks and screams come from the sitting students. Jungkook’s had flashed up as he saw Jimin staring straight into the human figures eyes that was running down the hallway. It was a student, a vampire student, and he was hungry. Jungkook’s eye was now screaming in pain but his motion towards Jimin was quicker than his thoughts. As the vampire student bent his knees to lunge towards Jimin who’d tripped over a chair and had fallen back, Jungkook’s claws grew out as his hands hit the student’s shoulders flying them both back into the windows and wall in the hallway.

Jungkook couldn’t even hear the screams of the students rushing out into the hallway to watch as he pinned down the rampaged student. Jungkook flexed his shoulders forward as the kid tried to lunge up and into him. He didn’t even notice that his claws were sinking into the kids shoulders. The vampire struggled under Jungkook but Jungkook’s grip only grew tighter. The kid kicked up into Jungkook’s ribs and Jungkook curled at the blow releasing the smallest of tension on the kid’s shoulders allowing him to roll ontop of Jungkook.

The kid curled his claws into Jungkook’s left arm and took his own right hand to hold Jungkook’s face against the ground exposing Jungkook’s neck to full scale. Jungkook’s eye felt like it was burning through his socket and he screamed into a hiss as he swung at the kid on top of him with his free hand. The kid took the hit to the cheek as Jungkook’s claws took a deep gash out of it. The vampire hissed in pain grabbing up to his cheek. Jungkook took the chance to lean up and grab the kid by the throat sinking his sharp claws into him. He quickly stood up in one fluid motion holding the vampire up into the air. The kid hissed hard at Jungkook slashing at his flexed arm but Jungkook didn’t budge staring straight into the creatures eyes. The kid’s eyes grew wide as he focused closer onto Jungkook’s stare until Jungkook heard a small wooshing sound like a bee going 100mph past his ear and watched the vampire’s eyes roll up and his body slump in Jungkook’s grip.

“Jungkook!” he heard someone scream coming down the hall.

Jungkook’s heated eyes turned sharply towards the origin of the voice as he saw Jin pointing an object shaped like a gun at him.

“Put him down or I’m going to have to dart you too,” said Jin breathing slowly staring Jungkook straight in the face. Jungkook looked at the boy’s immobile body who was still hovering up because of his grip and saw the needle to the boy’s side. Jungkook blinked and opened his claws as the bleeding boy sunk to the ground. Jungkook’s jaw flexed as he stepped back and looked down at his blood filled arms. His eye starting to recede from the pain as the nerves moved to concentrate on his open wounds.

Jungkook finally heard the scared breaths of the students watching through the doors and some had even come out into the hallway. He looked towards the door he’d jumped from and saw Jimin still on the floor staring straight at him eyes wide, he couldn’t tell if it was amazement or horror.

“Everyone back inside the classroom!” screamed Jimin’s mother as she shooed the students into the room closing the door.

“Where was your tranquilizer gun? Every teacher has one in their desk in the coded drawer where was it?” Jin said almost at a yell. The now timid woman was searching for her words.

“I don’t know, I ran straight to the drawer and, and opened it but, but it wasn’t there. Someone took it. I, I don’t know where it went,” she said a little horrified. Jungkook stood there as the two adults yelled over the sunken boy’s body. He looked down at the damage he’d done.

The boy’s cheek was gashed open and Jungkook didn’t even notice that he’d clawed the side of the boy’s rib cage. Luckily that gash wasn’t as deep as the one in the boy’s cheek, but regardless, he would need stitches and a lot of them at that. The boy’s shirt drenched in blood at his shoulders as well. Jungkook flexed his jaw and looked slowly up at Jin as he felt his canines retract. Jin looked at him up and down and cocked his head to the side.

“Let’s go,” he said waving the guards that had followed him to pick up the bleeding boy on the ground. Jungkook looked back at the closed door and saw Jimin’s face in the visible window still staring at him. He looked away and breathed deeply thinking great, now even he thinks I’m a monster and followed Jin to the nurse’s office.