Chapter Twenty One

Lamia Febris

Jimin and Jungkook had split to their respective classes until they found out that the last class at the end of the day was history. Turns out, they had that class together. Jungkook never noticed because he didn’t know anyone before. It was almost like a small wind of released passed through Jungkook when he saw Jimin sitting by the window looking out onto the soccer field. His entire mind kept repeating the smile in Ilhoon’s eyes from earlier. Seeing Jimin gave him the slightest bit of reassurance. Not to mention Jimin was happy to see Jungkook walking over to the desk as well.

“Still crushing on the vampire from earlier?” Jimin said with a smug smile. Jungkook stared at Jimin with no words and a cocked eyebrow.

“What? I just need to make sure you’re not cheating on me with someone else,” he said pulling his textbook out of his backpack.

“Oh so we’re dating?” said Jungkook doing the same watching Mr. Namjoon come into the room with his white hair slicked up and his round glasses perked on the bridge of his nose.

“No, I just need to make sure you’re not running away to some other hero, remember you’re the side kick. I’m the brain that’s how it goes,” he heard Jimin’s voice start to filter out as all of his focus centered on Ilhoon walking into the room. Ilhoon’s body language was solid but relaxed as his eyes skimmed over the classroom almost as if he was looking for someone, until they landed on Jungkook. Jungkook’s eye almost instantaneously started to pulse. He looked away to his textbook in front of him.

“Did you hear me?” said Jimin lightly tapping Jungkook on his hand with a finger.

“What? What? No, you’re the sidekick,” said Jungkook. Jimin was about to retaliate but Namjoon started tapping the desk with a ruler.

“Good afternoon everyone,” he said with a soft smile, his dimple sinking into his cheek as the straight line of white pearls revealed under his lips.

“I hope all of you have had a good day. I know it’s been a long day and this is your last class, everyone is ready to go home, but you have to get through it because we have a new project to do!” Jungkook heard the various moans and whispers of disapproval get louder as Namjoon started to wave his hand for more quiet.

“Now now I know that you guys don’t like group work but that’s exactly what this is for. Team work, communication, partnership, put it whatever way you want but regardless you’ll need to be comfortable with this skill in the future,” he said landing his eyes on Jungkook. Jungkook’s body tensed slightly without his own permission. It seemed to only make Namjoon smile deepen.

“Now, I’ve already assigned who each person is going to be paired with and I’ll let you know who that is at the end of class. For now, let us talk about the reign of the Song Dynasty,” he said turning his back to the class to start the lesson on the board. Jungkook breathed deeply when he felt a deep gaze set on the back of his head. He wanted to turn around but his body was stiff, like it couldn’t move on its own will. He blinked starting to quicken his breathing as Jimin shoved his shoulder smiling at Jungkook. The grip around Jungkook’s body ceased.

“If we get paired up that means you get to play sidekick more,” he said with a deeper smile putting his chin on his hand. Jungkook rolled his eyes with a soft grin. Jimin could be annoying sometimes but he was glad he knew him. He was even more grateful that the gripping feeling was gone.

At the end of class Jungkook breathed deeply wondering who he’d be paired up with. It would be extremely convenient to be paired with Jimin. He kind of wanted to, it would give him more time to figure out what happened to Ilhoon too. Then maybe he might get a few more answers. Jungkook finally came out of his trance when he heard his name.

“Jeon Jungkook will be paired with Jung Ilhoon,” said Namjoon as he continued to read down the list of pairings. Jungkook’s stomached drop. He felt Jimin nudge his shoulder again.

“Hey, this might be the perfect time to talk to him more and see what happened to him in that video,” he said a bit excited. Jungkook felt the complete opposite. The grip like feeling hovered over Jungkook’s body as his eye started to strain slightly.

“Now, you have two and a half weeks to get this project done. I want this to be creative, don’t slack, and don’t let one person do all the work. It’s called group work for a reason. Remember, your project can be in any form, whether it be a video, a song, presentation, essay. Just make sure that everyone is doing their part. And have fun. History is where creativity was manufactured, so when you pick your time period be creative. Recreate that age as best as you can so we can all relive it. Class dismissed.”

Everyone rose and started to disperse towards the door.

“Who did you get paired with again?” said Jungkook to Jimin as they walked out the door. Jimin pointed to a girl walking down the hall and smiled leaning his head to the side.

“The is a little small but it’ll work,” said Jimin with a smile as he chuckled reverting his attention to Jungkook. Jungkook shook his head.

“Gotta go work out our project, I’ll text you when I get home,” he said hitting Jungkook in the chest as he jogged off to catch up with the girl. Jungkook shook his head with a small grin. He waited at the door watching all of the students leave waiting for Ilhoon to come out so he could at least get an idea on what they were to work on. After the last student came out he waited for a minute with no one following. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and leaned back into the classroom doorway and saw Ilhoon with his head down as Namjoon’s jaw flexed looking at the student. Ilhoons face was away from Jungkook’s site but he watched Ilhoon’s jaw flex and his vein shift in his neck. The tenseness in the air was loud and clear.

He watched as Namjoon stepped a bit closer to Ilhoon whispering something.

“Did he find out?” he whispered to Ilhoon. Ilhoon shook his head his eyes still looking towards the floor.

“Are you sure?” Jungkook thought he heard come out of Namjoon. For some reason his sharp hearing wasn’t working as well on these two which was weird because he thought his senses were quite sharp.

“I’m positive. The kid was almost shaking when I opened my mouth,” he said finally meeting Namjoon’s gaze.

“Don’t get smart boy,” he said in almost a low growl Ilhoon automatically moved his gaze back down to the floor.

Jungkook looked towards the empty hallway. Why was Ilhoon being submissive to Namjoon? Did he do something to another student? Who were they talking about? Jungkook’s eyes started to pulsate as he reverted his gaze forward to Ilhoon staring straight at him. His body froze again, like something was gripping him. Like he couldn’t control his own movements. Like a compulsion. He watched as Namjoon turned his head to follow Ilhoon’s gaze and smiled softly. He patted Ilhoon’s shoulder. Ilhoon bowed slightly and picked up his backpack putting it over one shoulder his eyes never unlocking from Jungkook’s. His body was still stuck as Ilhoon came to the door opening it.

“So you like eavesdropping too huh?” he said, his voice laced thick with confidence. Jungkook finally found the will to speak.

“No, actually. I was waiting for you so we can get this project started,” he said almost jerking his gaze away from Ilhoon. Ilhoon smiled and started to walk passed Jungkook.

“My place it is then.”