Unpleasant Truths

Symbiosis

            At last, they were ready to begin. Finding a secure space for them to speak freely that was also large enough for dragons had been surprisingly challenging. Taekwoon found it insulting, but he realized it was probably intentional once the dragons had lost their intelligence. There was little need to seek their counsel after all. Regardless, they found themselves in one of the larger dragon caves near the top of the mountain. It was likely even the most determined of eavesdroppers would have trouble hearing them should anyone be trying to listen in.

            Taekwoon felt no unusual itchiness so he didn’t think there was magic in the area, but he was more cowed by the general collection of people present. He had no problem with them, though he certainly felt… inadequate in comparison. Of course Jinki and Yunho were there. He had expected Seunghyun to be present as well, especially since they would likely see some kind of fighting before too long. Paramour Heechul was in attendance, surprisingly enough, as was Dragon Master Dongwan. Dragon Healer Hyesung had taken it upon himself to remain present and that left Taekwoon with his dragons, Chaerin with hers, and Hero and Minwoo.

            The two silvers had positioned themselves at the outermost part of the cave and were obviously both guarding it from without and within. Large as she was, Fei had been positioned at the fore next to Chaerin, moderately fenced in, almost as if she was on trial. Jongup was further in the cave than the rest but that was only because he had made sure to position himself near Jinki who looked, for lack of a better word, overwhelmed. Taekwoon genuinely felt bad for him. He wanted nothing more than to whisk them both away and promise him that everything would be alright, but… it was foolish to even think so. With Eric dead, things were already not alright and he highly doubted they would be getting better anytime soon…

            “Are we all ready?” Commander Yunho asked, a slight tremor to his voice as he hesitantly stepped into his new role with all the bravado he could.

            A chorus of “Yes” rose around him but one objected. “If you would wait one moment,” Dragon Healer Hyesung urged as he eyed the dragons at the opening. “Given the latest events, it might behoove us to check just to make sure.” Taekwoon winced at the implication and he noticed that none of the others realized what the Healer meant yet. “We have to be sure they have no runes that would allow anyone to listen in,” he explained with a shrug, glancing at Taekwoon quickly.

            The rider nodded in understanding and acquiescence quickly and then watched to see what the others would do. “Runes?” Dongwan murmured in confusion, brows furrowed as he looked at the dragons and then the Healer.

            “Yes,” Hyesung responded, approaching Jongup with easy confidence and a soothing aura. “Taekwoon, if you would,” he called over his shoulder, obviously expectant that the rider would join him.

            “Taekwoon?” Yunho automatically chirped in confusion.

            The Dragon Healer gave the new Commander a slight smile from his side-eyed gaze. “The rider seems to have a particular instinct for runes, it would appear.”

            “Huh,” the Commander sighed, the sensation echoed by the majority in the chamber as speculative gazes turned towards Taekwoon. It was accepted without question when spoken from someone like the Healer but not so easily understood. The confusion was clear enough on all their faces as Taekwoon moved to shadow Hyesung.

            “I will check the dragons. Let me know if I miss something or if you feel something from the humans present,” he murmured under his breath as he started to quickly but steadily look over Jongup.

            “Yes, sir,” Taekwoon nodded ever so slightly, taking a brief moment to steal a look at Jinki. His other half appeared so pale and fraught and all he could offer was a supportive smile. It wasn’t much, but he did get the ghost of one in response.

            Mates okay.

            Thank you, Taekwoon smiled back, the corner of his mouth turning up in response as he saw the change in Jinki when Jongup gave him some sort of encouragement.

            The new Aerie Master pulled his shoulders back and took a breath as he turned to address the audience. “The dragons that attacked the Aerie all bore runes on their bodies,” he explained into the confused silence. His voice was softer than usual but no less strong for it. At least this he knew about. “Due to the nature of the runes, we believe they were being controlled and would prefer not to take that chance with our dragons,” he added with a look towards the entryway.

            As Taekwoon made the rounds with Master Hyesung, Jinki took the opportunity to make sure everyone was on the same page about what had happened with the dragons, carefully leaving out what he knew about Eric and Satoru. He steered clear of speculation and was careful about what questions he answered, offering nothing new about runes and the possible repercussions yet. It was not exactly a master class in spinning something out of nothing, but it was more than enough to keep the others distracted and focused on the Aerie Master instead of their own worry or the possibility of someone or something being controlled or altered.

            When they were finished making the rounds, Taekwoon was relieved to put his dragon half away and confirm to Hyesung that he had felt nothing from anyone else. Though not entirely surprised, he was strangely grateful that Chaerin and Fei had no evidence of alteration; she gave him a wan smile in her pinched face and shrugged as he gave her a once over. Given what had happened, she seemed resolved to help however she could. It was encouraging, especially since the intention seemed her own and not the puppetry of control. Not only her and her dragon though, even the cave itself seemed clear, beyond the common runes he’d found in several others. As he took his place next to Jonghyun again, he could almost feel the relief from Jinki – both in that there was nothing to worry about for runes and that he could stop talking for the moment. Master Hyesung stepped to the fore to stall Jinki’s final words and gave a thin weary smile. “The room is secure. Let us begin in earnest.”

            And so they did. To his credit, Master Dragon Healer Hyesung took the fore in explaining what had happened with Aerie Master Satoru and former Dragon Commander Eric. He allowed no interruptions, quelling any who wished to speak with a sharp eyed glare until he was finished relaying what he’d learned. A brief glance at Taekwoon allowed him to confirm he had spoken correctly in regards to the runes that had been discovered on the Aerie Leaders’ bodies and a glance at Jinki showed it was the new Aerie Master’s turn to help lead the conversation once more.

            Paramour Heechul raised his hand first and stepped forward before Jinki could speak, his face tight and pensive. “So you’re saying that there are magic runes that can allow a person to control or spy on others from afar?”

            “Yes,” Jinki nodded once, taking a steadying breath.

            “And you’re also saying that they have been used on Aerie Master Satoru, High Dragon Commander Eric, and the newest dragons that have joined our ranks?” he went on, making sure he understood everything correctly.

            “Correct,” the Aerie Master confirmed again, swallowing noticeably.

            He made a sound in the back of his throat and rested his fingers on his chin before he stepped back, gazes introspective once more. Commander Yunho watched him with a furrowed brow and then turned his attention towards Chaerin and Fei. “With such sensitive information, I have to wonder why she is here,” he gestured intentionally, drawing all eyes towards one of the newest additions to the Aerie.

            Chaerin shrank noticeably under their scrutiny, reaching back towards her dragon for physical support beyond what she must have been feeling within. For Taekwoon, it was a hair too much for him to just stand by and say nothing. He stepped forward, drawing Yunho’s sharp eyes, and explained, “She is here because I believe she has information we need.” He could feel Jinki’s surprise and mild concern in his gaze, but he was more focused on Jonghyun’s thrumming presence through their bond – pride and a challenge sang in it.

            Yunho’s mouth thinned and it was almost like Taekwoon could see his hackles rising. “Beyond your instinct for runes, rider,” he began, intentionally reminding Taekwoon of his status in the Aerie as he glanced at Dragon Healer Hyesung briefly, “why are you here?”

            The challenge rose to the fore and he could feel his dragon half rising. No. Now was not the time. He clamped down on the sensation, keeping the shift in check. Mostly. “I’m here because I believe I know who’s behind this.”

            Audible sounds of surprise from those less informed filled the chamber. “And how would you know that?” Yunho asked almost immediately, tension rising. A low hiss emerged from behind Taekwoon and he could hear Hero’s displeasure.

            “Enough!” Hyesung snapped at the same time Heechul stepped forward with a patronizing, “Children!” Taekwoon and Yunho flinched, subsiding immediately as the Healer and Paramour exchanged glances. Hyesung nodded and stepped back while Heechul smiled, a dangerous expression. He turned his dark eyes to Yunho and quipped, “You. Start acting like a Commander. And you,” he added, rounding on Taekwoon swiftly and drawing close. “Stop baiting him.”

            “My apologies,” Yunho murmured, bowing repentantly towards the audience and clearing his throat. “It appears there is much we have yet to be informed of,” he explained, taking a breath and visibly grabbing hold of himself with a stern look at his dragon in the back.

            “Sorry,” Taekwoon mumbled in apology and bowed his head, contrite. The sensation was mildly echoed by his dragon.

            He nearly jumped when Heechul leaned close enough to whisper in his ear, “It’s not entirely your fault.” His voice was understanding, albeit a bit amused.

            “Huh?” Taekwoon blinked in surprise, glancing at the Paramour.

            “Though he’s only a copper, Jonghyun would make a good leader. He has the protective instincts good leaders do,” he explained with a barely noticeable nod towards Yunho who was busily speaking with Jinki, obviously trying to get up to speed as quickly as possible. “They’re just a bit… selective,” he chuckled with a thoughtful snort as his gaze flickered to Jongup with Jinki and… Chaerin with Fei.

            Taekwoon nodded once in understanding, though he bowed his head again. He didn’t doubt Heechul was at least partially right about his assessment. But… he also thought his desire to protect Chaerin might have more to do with who he was trying to protect her from as opposed to any leader inclinations.

            Paramour not wrong, Jonghyun shrugged, his voice accepting of the words.

            But maybe not entirely right either, Taekwoon couldn’t help but add, glancing at the all too quiet and subdued Chaerin once more.

            We will see, his dragon said, chuckling as if it was a foregone conclusion.

            “Indeed,” Taekwoon breathed, exhaling softly. He was allowed to wallow in his thoughts for a moment more before Yunho called him back swiftly.

            “Right then. I understand the situation a bit better,” Yunho explained as he gestured around the cave with a nod. “I think it’s best that we hear from both Taekwoon and Chaerin first and then ask any questions that we might have. After that, we can begin to plan accordingly.”

            “Good idea,” Combat Master Seunghyun offered with a nod of approval that obviously helped steady the new Commander.

            I’m here, Jonghyun promised at Taekwoon was called up first.

            He held fast to his dragon’s support and took what encouragement he could from Jinki’s tense smile. I know, he answered with the ghost of a smile on his lips. Taking a steadying breath, he opened his mouth and started to speak. “I believe the Bahamut High Priest Kevin is behind everything.” To their credit, no one objected immediately. The shock was obvious and disbelief too, but no one said anything as they allowed him to explain his side. He tried to be objective and not just focus on everything that he thought or felt about the High Priest and his experiences with him, but it was hard. And exhausting. And frightening knowing that he was one of the only ones that actually believed what he was saying. Yet, when he started explaining the runes and the history that he had discovered, they listened. Warily but attentively. These men at least would hear him out first. And they did, leaving Taekwoon feeling empty and adrift in the following silence.

            Well done.

            It doesn’t feel like it, he admitted to his dragon, fighting the urge to simply step back and hide behind him.

            A hard thing to think but look, he encouraged with a mental nudge towards the audience.

            Taekwoon did as suggested and glanced around, catching Jinki’s smile with relief but also noticing that the listeners were doing just that. Listening. They hadn’t shut themselves off from making a decision outright. Of course they were troubled and doubtful, but their inner turmoil showed clearly on their faces and in their body language. They had yet to decide on the veracity of his words, which was a small triumph in its own right.

            “Members of the Aerie,” Chaerin’s soft voice pierced the quiet murmurings like thunder. Complete silence fell and she inhaled quickly, stepping back and hugging Fei’s nose when the gold lowered her head over her rider’s shoulder. “I would like… to add to Taekwoon’s words,” she almost whispered, her voice shaky and uncertain.

            “Please,” Paramour Heechul encouraged, moving deftly to flank her other side and offer quiet support in his own way.

            She gave him a sidelong glance and looked down before nodding to herself. “Like Taekwoon, I believe…” she trailed off, pursing her lips as her face tightened. “No,” she shook her head, looking up to face them all. “I know the Bahamut High Priest Kevin is behind at least some of this.” Her troubled eyes looked to Taekwoon and she nodded once, even as her hands tightened on Fei’s nose.

            “And how do you know this?” Yunho asked, honing in on the emphasis with great curiosity.

            Chaerin ran a soothing hand down Fei’s long face and explained, “Because I am his daughter. One of his many children. And I know that he is more than what he appears to be.”

            The higher ups of the Aerie had been surprised when Taekwoon spoke. Now… they were simply shocked. And outraged. Her statement attacked the very beliefs they’d been brought up with. A Priest might have one child. Maybe two, but many was almost impossible to fathom. Likewise, that he would be more than what he seemed. The High Priest especially was supposed to be beyond reprisal. He was the embodiment of Bahamut’s light. Or so they were all taught… Even the normally composed Seunghyun could not contain his doubt if the furrow on his brow was any indication.

            When the immediate questions and denials rose, Chaerin shrank even further against her dragon, seeking to hide. It made Taekwoon angry. Angry that he didn’t know if it was the magic of the runes – belief – that made them act so or the fact that she was an outsider or if it was their own inability to consider they might be wrong too. He was angry at himself as well, for he didn’t know how to stop them.

            Fortunately, he didn’t have to. Fei freed her head and pulled her rider close with one protective arm, bearing her fangs and hissing at the members present. Jongup and Jonghyun shifted closer to offer tentative support, so Taekwoon and Jinki did the same. But tension filled the air, even as her draconic growl echoed in the room.

            ”You will listen!” Taekwoon and Dongwan parroted at almost the same time, sharing mildly surprised looks as they understood they were relaying Fei’s words through their own dragons. Taekwoon had spoken with his dragon and Dongwan was just behind, apparently listening first, but they were as one. In tandem, they shrugged and nodded in understanding, both relaxing to allow the words to flow. Hero seemed uncertain in the back and the rest of the audience didn’t quite know what to think either as they listened to the dragon’s thoughts first. “I told her she should not come, but she wants to protect me.” Her golden head swung around the room, daring anyone to challenge her. No one did. Even Hero was cowed by her righteous anger. “I will protect her. But I can’t alone. High Priest is too powerful.” She snapped her jaws as if to emphasize her point. “So you will listen. And you will help. Because that is what wing mates do!

            Her statement finished, she drew herself up to her full height, golden head nearly brushing the top of the cave. She let her golden eyes scour the interior before she finally let Chaerin go so the young woman might step forward again. “Thank you, Fei,” she smiled up at her dragon before extending the expression and a bow towards Taekwoon and Dongwan for relaying the messages. She had to swallow hard before she could start speaking again, but when she did, her voice was clear and strong, all things considered. “Much of what the High Priest does is kept secret. Hidden so no one may question what he does. I don’t know everything about him, but I do know he is more than what he says he is. The High Priest, though a conduit for the words of the dragon gods,” she spoke, her tone bitter and snide, “should still be a mere man. I don’t know what he is but I know Kevin is more because I am more.” She closed her eyes and when she opened them again, they were glowing silver, like a dragon’s eyes.

            Taekwoon felt vindicated in that he had seen her correctly that one time. But there was also confusion. She was not bound to her dragon so how could she have dragon elements? He saw the same question on everyone’s faces, including Jinki’s. When his other half looked at him, he nodded and let his dragon half rise to the front, knowing his own eyes changed by how Jinki flinched ever so slightly.

            “Interesting,” Seunghyun mused as if to himself as he glanced between the two dragon-eyed humans.

            “Interesting indeed,” Yunho echoed, his face a mask of troubled confusion.

 

            They took a short break not long after that to allow for everyone to process the revelations they’d heard and to take care of any basic needs. No one was exactly allowed to leave the area, due to the nature of what they were talking about, but chamber pots and refreshments were called for. Hero played voluntary mount for Junjin to arrive with the requested food and beverages and then the Master Cook was sent on his way so they could resume their discussion shortly thereafter.

            When Chaerin spoke next, the members of the Aerie did listen. She explained she didn’t know how old Kevin was but that he never seemed to change. “Even with all the clothes, there is something about him that resists change. I see it most in his eyes,” she admitted with a frustrated frown. He also had a strange power over dragons that seemed more than even what a Bahamut Priest should have. “The Priests have a stronger connection with the dragons because of their calling, but he… actually seems to control them. Or can anyway. He does not ask. They do as they are told,” she scowled, shaking her head. She also mentioned that every now and then, people and dragons went missing around him. Oh, it was never obvious, but maybe they were sent on an errand they never came back from. Or a request that mysteriously failed. Or something happened to someone on the road. All things that could be easily explained as chance or coincidence, and because they did not happen often and because he was the High Priest, no one thought to question. No one wanted to question.

            She explained how he had a place in Kokoshir, the original Temple of Bahamut, but he rarely spent time there. Though she didn’t know where he was when he wasn’t there, she was certain it wasn’t doing the work of a Bahamut Priest. “Oh, he preaches to the masses to maintain their favor, their belief, but his Priests do most of the work for him. He himself does not.” She paused then to take a breath and chew on her lip, fingers picking at each other distractedly. “And recently,” she murmured without looking up. “He had taken a great interest in Taekwoon and his bond with his dragons.” She paused to swallow. “He has spoken of such a thing happening before, nearly two hundred years ago, but he talked about it like he was there,” she explained in confusion, shaking her head. “He was excited when he was talking about it. His special mission for me,” she spat, grabbing her arms as if to protect herself. “Because I am what I am. A woman with the blood of a dragon,” she shrugged, somewhat confused herself. But then she gestured at Taekwoon. “And you are what you are. A man with the soul of a dragon.” Her expression turned flat and cold as she recalled, “He said, ‘Imagine what that would be like. Do you know how much power a child with the blood and soul of a dragon would have?’”

            “Huh?” Taekwoon grunted, jerking as if he’d been hit as he connected the obvious dots.

            Chaerin didn’t seem to notice, her face still hard as she continued the story. “I said no, but he wouldn’t have that. ‘If you do this for me, I can make sure nothing happens to your Fei. If not…’” she shrugged, trailing off with a disinterested look that turned to disgust. “And I thought I could, so I came here, but I was wrong,” she added angrily. “About so many things…”

            Her continued disgust turned to anger personified as the dragons understood all too well the threat implied. Fei’s golden eyes turned to Taekwoon with a hard stare that softened slightly as she moved to put a protective arm in front of her rider once more. The statement was clear. She would protect her and that was what she had been trying to do up to this point.

            Taekwoon looked away to find Jinki’s eyes and he flinched just a touch when he saw hurt there. Not really directed at him, but pain nonetheless. Taekwoon shrugged and gestured mutely in apology, though he didn’t know what to say or do. Jinki took a quick breath and waved his hand dismissively before he forced his expression back to a neutral state. “Commander Yunho,” he started, calling the older man’s attention to him.

            Lost in troubled thoughts, Yunho jumped at the sound of his voice and then grunted in acknowledgement. “Yes?”

            “Given what we can infer from everything we’ve heard today, it’s very likely that the High Priest is also behind the death and injury of Commander Eric and Aerie Master Satoru,” he explained stoically, voice flat but sincere.

            The new Commander sighed and shook his head, frowning hard at the implications. “It seems impossible and yet… it’s not something we can discount entirely,” he admitted. “Master Hyesung. Is there any chance that we might hear from Satoru in the near future?” he asked, turning his attention to the healer.

            Dragon Healer Hyesung exhaled slowly and glanced around the room. “I do not know. Master Mimi is better briefed on that subject, but as he has not passed on yet, there is a possibility that he will wake. The problem remains the runes he has on his person. He will still be bound by the geas and silence if nothing else, not to mention that the person who put the runes there will be able to look in if they so choose.”

            “Shards,” Yunho scowled, turning away as he mulled the problem over in his head.

            “Taekwoon,” the healer called as he turned to the younger rider. “Short of destroying the runes like Satoru apparently did the first time, is there any way to stop their power or nullify them somehow?”

            Taekwoon started to shake his head in denial but stopped as he really thought about it. He didn’t know of a rune to do what Hyesung was asking, but that didn’t mean there wasn’t one. He’d already seen new ones, which meant there could be one that did such a thing. Or… perhaps one could be made. The runes were dragon language after all. “I don’t know of anything right now, but…” he trailed off, glancing at Jonghyun thoughtfully, “we might be able to make one.”

            Oh? his dragon hummed thoughtfully, automatically turning the idea over.

            “Interesting. Then see what you can do. I will speak with Master Mimi and see if we can try to rouse Satoru from his non-responsive state,” he grumbled, thoughts already turning elsewhere.

            Jinki nodded after listening in and his shoulders dropped, the weight of their situation obviously heavy on them. It lasted for only a breath before he pulled them back and called out, “Masters Dongwan and Seunghyun. Commander Yunho. We have tentatively decided to take the attack on the Aerie Leaders as an attack on the Aerie. Given that we are in the middle of the winter moons, we should be safe enough from overt attacks, but…”

            “You think something might be coming when it warms up, don’t you?” Seunghyun asked perceptively, eyes narrowed.

            “It’s as good a possibility as any,” Dongwan added darkly. “Our numbers have been growing thin anyway, but with the loss of Eric and Satoru, it does seem to be a sign of more to come.”

            “At the very least, it would not hurt us to assume that will be the case and prepare accordingly,” Yunho inhaled deeply, jaw firm.

            The Combat Master nodded in agreement and then turned to glance at the gold dragon and her rider. “And what should we do about them?” By his tone, it was clear he was talking about their group as a whole.

            Commander Yunho hummed thoughtfully in the back of his throat and grabbed Taekwoon’s attention. “Taekwoon.”

            “Sir!” the rider jumped, trying to pretend like he wasn’t listening into the conversation.

            “Chaerin will be your responsibility from now on,” he instructed simply, giving a command and nothing more.

            “Huh?” Taekwoon blinked as he looked at Chaerin, who he already had very conflicted feelings about, and then back at the Commander.

            “Commander Yunho!” Jinki immediately objected with a similar look at Chaerin and then at Taekwoon before settling back on the Commander.

            “His wing will look after the rest, as they’ve been doing,” Yunho assured him, “but given their relationship or connection, it seems best that he continues to watch over her. Unless you have an objection to that,” he added, waiting expectantly for Jinki to add something if he felt the need.

            “It’s not that…” he admitted quietly, shoulders falling as he let the problem bothering him go. “It’s not a bad idea either,” he admitted reluctantly. Taekwoon blinked in surprise at the change and then shrank slightly when his other half continued. “Especially since he will be in a position to let me know immediately if something happens or if there’s something I should be aware of.” He hadn’t done anything so why did he feel like he was being chastised?

            “Very good,” Commander Yunho nodded. “Then I will speak with Dongwan and Seunghyun about what martial preparations might need to be made and leave the running of the day to day affairs with you, Aerie Master,” he ended with a bow in Jinki’s direction.

            “Of course,” Jinki responded almost by rote, his voice thin if clear.

            Both Jinki and Taekwoon turned to look when they heard Heechul. “Oh stop glaring at me,” the Paramour chided the gold dragon as he approached a very withdrawn Chaerin. “Come on then, my dear. You’ve had a very trying day,” he soothed, pulling her gently against his body in a guiding embrace. Something about the way they were interacting made Taekwoon think the Paramour had known a bit more about what she was going to say today, but now was not the time to ask.

            Heechul shepherded Chaerin out and they left the cave by way of Fei. “Come along you two,” Hyesung urged as he brushed at both Taekwoon and Jinki while he moved towards the mouth of the cave. “You’ve business to attend to and I need a ride down,” he explained with a knowing look at Jinki.

            “Of course, Master Hyesung,” he nodded slowly, following in the Healer’s wake as Jongup trailed along behind him, nose almost close enough to brush against his back.

            Quite a bit of business to attend to indeed. Taekwoon had received answers today, but he was still left with more questions than he cared. As before, the future still appeared to remain very uncertain…