Aerie Dragon Classes

Symbiosis

            Not surprisingly, the magic of the dragons did not fade at all for Taekwoon as the years turned. Even with the chores that came with taking care of the creatures, and the rest of the Aerie, it was almost like a dream for him. Helping the dragonriders clean the dragons, take care of the gear, and just spend time around them made him satisfied. What was more, he was always well taken care of. Sure, he was tired more often than not, and their morning exercise lessons were always hard, but he never went hungry and he had his own room and he had people he would consider friends.

            Because they were partners, Jinki and Taekwoon spent the most time around each other, but he was also getting to know Amber and Wonshik, another partner pair that he was pretty sure was becoming something more. And then there were all the teachers – some he was taking lessons from now and some he wasn’t – and some of their trainees. He also saw a fair few people from Miremaw make their way into the Aerie in any given sevenday. And dragons were always coming and going. Usually whites, the general messengers, but also a fair few reds, blues, coppers, and bronzes. It was unusual to see a new black, silver or gold arrive.

            Some days they saw returning members of the Stardust Battalion and there were always patrols heading out and about. Taekwoon marveled at what it would be like to fly with them. When they weren’t on patrol, he could often catch glimpses of the remaining members practicing flying patterns or sparring. High Dragon Commander Eric usually left the maneuvers to Captain Yunho who was in residence unless something particularly dangerous or important needed to be attended to.

            And there were injuries but for the most part, Taekwoon didn’t see them. Jinki told him it was because they kept most of the worst news away from the newcomers so as to not frighten them. At least not immediately. He didn’t know most of them well enough yet to recognize on sight, but he could feel it when a dragon didn’t come back. The air in the Aerie changed, the same as always but a little different.

            But those events were rare and there was still so much that Taekwoon had to learn and do. He was grateful for Jinki who must have been Bahamut’s blessing to him. The slightly older boy answered all his questions, patiently coaxing more out when he would have remained silent out of possible embarrassment. He also helped him with his homework and to make more friends. Talking was not his strong point, but it was something Jinki was very good at. And in return, Taekwoon kept a quiet eye out for the other boy. He was clumsy by nature but most of the time, if he paid attention, Taekwoon could keep things out of Jinki’s path or steer him clear of potential dangers.

            Nor was the other boy completely oblivious. He often rewarded Taekwoon with a playful ruffle of his hair that usually sent him fleeing from a particularly perturbed glare. He didn’t really mind, but it was amusing seeing how the other boy would react. Especially since he liked the company and the fact that Jinki always came back. He was almost like a brother, but better because they were never competing over anything. And the only thing better than Jinki were the dragons.

            Even with the dangers he sometimes saw, and how hard it could be, with the training and the constant traveling and whatever they might face out there, being around the wonderful creatures only strengthened his resolve to become a dragonrider. It was still a harsh reminder when he was brought up in class that only a handful of the people he was there with would actually achieve that title.

            “Not everyone can become a dragonrider,” Master Minjun reminded them pointedly. His brown eyes swept the room of seven students, making sure to make contact with each one. Though he was relatively short for a full grown adult, his broader shoulders and presence filled whatever space he needed it to. It was easy enough to command his students’ full attention.

            Taekwoon glanced around too, though, following his sights. There were a mismatch of students present, ranging from himself as one of the youngest to Bom, the redhead he’d first seen when he arrived at the Aerie, who was about seven years older than him. Jinki was two years his senior though he treated him as the same age most of the time. Amber and Wonshik were dragging their heels in taking this course, but they both had about four years on him. And the last two were Himchan, a boy who seemed determined to become a healer or performer of some kind, and Hyosung, one of the girls who had apparently been sold into the Aerie. She was nice enough but she didn’t talk a whole lot – at least not in class.

            And that was fine because Taekwoon was having a hard enough time making what the teacher said stick. In his tenth year, he had finally joined some of the intermediate classes. It felt like it had taken him forever to graduate from the beginner level courses including reading and writing, numbers and counting, mending and making, and an introduction to geography and the world around them. But outside of those classes, students varied considerably. Because they might show up in the Aerie at any age or level – young and untaught like him or older and learned like Jongin, a minor noble’s son, who was going to attempt his Trials soon – students were shuffled around and grouped according to level. Age didn’t matter with the exception of combat training, and that was due largely because it was unfair, at first, to pit children against more experienced students.

            Fortunately, he and Jinki were of a similar age and level in most things. Okay, maybe the general subjects. Fine… Taekwoon was still no good with the more science or math courses, but it was mostly by choice. He wasn’t interested in them, which was generally how Jinki felt about the dragon focused courses. Though at least this one they were in general agreement about. And Minjun had a way of making the class itself feel more alive too. As he reminded them when he pulled Taekwoon’s attention back to the statement he’d mentioned previously.

            “And why is that?” he asked, voice raised as he clapped his hands and lifted one finger into the air. The spectacles on his nose seemed like they might fall off if he turned his head too fast, but they suited his face.

            Taekwoon wasn’t surprised when Jinki raised his hand. Even if he didn’t know the answer, he was always willing to venture a guess. Not Taekwoon… “Because not every person is a good match for a dragon.”

            Minjun smiled and nodded, the pull of his lips indicating it wasn’t a bad answer but it could have been better. “True,” he conceded, clasping his hands in front of him, his overly large sleeves pooling in the crooks of his arms. “But why?” he asked again, eyes darting around the room for another volunteer.

            As Taekwoon didn’t know the answer, he tried very hard to remain invisible. So much so that he jumped when Bom spoke up behind him. Her soft voice knocked him from his trance and offered the answer easily. “It’s Symbiosis,” she smiled, tapping longer fingernails on the table in front of her.

            “Yes!” Minjun grinned, stepping around his podium to gesture animatedly. “And what is Symbiosis, Wonshik?” he called out, startling his target into complete wakefulness.

            “Symbiosis?!” Wonshik blinked, obviously only half-awake. Amber rolled her eyes at him and he made a face back at her. Before they could start anything, Minjun cleared his throat and Wonshik grimaced. “Right. Symbiosis,” he nodded, taking a breath as he searched for the words. Eventually, he managed to mumble, “It’s what we call the dragon and rider’s connection. During the binding, our connection gives the dragon human thought and the dragon gives us wings and aid. Symbiosis,” he finished, throwing both hands out as if to shrug.

            “Exactly!” Minjun grinned, quite pleased with the responses.

            Taekwoon was just thoughtful. He knew dragons were more animal beyond the Aerie, but he’d assumed that they were taught how to behave after the binding. Apparently, it was much more immediate than that. And because of that, it didn’t make as much sense to him as to why not everyone could become a dragonrider. The question slipped out of him quietly before he could stop it and he froze when he realized that Minjun had heard him.

            “Oh? Can you please repeat that for the class, Taekwoon?” he asked gently, tamping down on some of his energy so as not to spook him.

            With a nervous glance at Jinki, who just nodded in supportive approval, Taekwoon shrugged. “If it’s the human and dragon connection that is Symbiosis, then why are some people not meant to be dragonriders?”

            “Some don’t want to be,” Wonshik volunteered, immediately, trying to prove himself from the mishap earlier.

            “That’s obvious,” Amber whispered with a snort, nudging his ribs with her elbow again.

            “Some can’t complete the Trials,” Himchan spoke up, tugging at his black hair gently.

            “Also obvious,” Wonshik whispered, earning a look from Minjun. He quieted immediately and Himchan relaxed, having tensed from the criticism.

            “It’s more about control,” Hyosung spoke up at last, looking up from under the fall of her wavy brunette hair. “Or lack of it,” she clarified, pursing her lips when all eyes fell on her briefly.

            Minjun spoke up and took the focus off her quickly. “Good, Hyosung. Control,” he repeated, holding his finger up to capture their attention, “is an illusion.” Taekwoon blinked and he knew he wasn’t the only surprised one. “The binding with Bahamut’s Blood only connects the dragon and rider at a spiritual level, if you will,” he gestured, almost dismissive in that admission. “What really makes them partners is the lack of control they exert over the other. The willingness to be partners. To be friends. To work together towards something else.”

            “But isn’t it true that a rider can control their dragon?” Jinki asked with a raised hand. “I thought Boa was able to control Eunhyuk when Seyong was taking part in the first Trial?” Many thought he would have been killed had she not stopped Eunhyuk when she did after all.

            “Of course a rider can force control,” Minjun agreed, hands gesturing to concede the point. “But controlling with power alone will never grant either the dragon or the rider the full strength that Symbiosis has to offer. That is why Bahamut’s Aerie will never allow anyone to buy their way in. Tiamat’s Aerie may differ and you will hear about it in other cities, but such connections are dangerous, especially because they are usually made without the power of Tiamat’s or Bahamut’s Blood. Most of our rogue dragons come from those forced bindings,” he cautioned seriously.

            “So what you’re saying is that there is a magical, forced connection when Symbiosis is achieved,” Bom spoke up, adding, “but that what you should really be working towards is a mutual partnership in the pairing.”

            “Yes,” Minjun answered simply, giving her a pleased and slightly crooked grin.

            “Interesting,” Taekwoon murmured softly enough that no one but Jinki heard him. They were saved from any further discussion when the bell for classes rang and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

            “It wasn’t that bad,” Minjun laughed, shooing them away with fluttering hands. “Don’t forget to work on your essay either. It’s due next moon,” he reminded them as they filed out of the room.

            “Shouldn’t be too bad,” Jinki grinned, walking close enough to Taekwoon that their shoulders brushed.

            “I’m almost finished,” he admitted shyly, finding himself in an unusual position. Jinki was almost always the one to complete homework first.

            “Really?”

            “Mm. I already know why I want to be a rider,” he smiled confidently.

            Jinki laughed and sighed, shaking his head. “Fair enough. I had to choose the other topic,” he shrugged. “How are dragons helpful in the balance of the world?”

            “Big topic,” Taekwoon murmured sympathetically.

            “You’re telling me.”

            “You can do it,” he encouraged, nudging the nearest arms gently.

            “Of course. As long as I don’t have to keep helping you with all of your homework and mine,” Jinki chided with a smile and sidelong glance.

            Taekwoon groaned and let his head tilt back pitifully. “But Master Kyuhyun’s math class is so hard and Master Yongjae never explains the science idea well enough during the lesson.”

            Jinki squeezed Taekwoon’s shoulder sympathetically. “You have to read the book before and after class to do well with Master Youngjae,” he explained matter of factly. “And math is just not for everyone,” he laughed, stating a verifiable truth among their circles.

            He didn’t need to say any words to agree with that sentiment so Taekwoon remained silent instead, nodding. The next class was neither of those subjects, fortunately, but considering it was Dragons only, he was both excited and slightly disappointed. Since Jinki had no interest in becoming a rider, he did not attend any dragon specific classes, so while he headed off to the Intermediate Diplomacy class with Master Chunji, Taekwoon departed for Dragons under none other than Dragon Master Dongwan.

            It was very much Taekwoon’s favorite class. Most of the dragon ones were, to be fair. And they were a far cry from the beginning level courses he was equally glad to be away from. Now, they were learning about the different color dragons, how they differed, what their temperaments were like, combat preferences, and general health and first aid. Himchan would be going on to take more specialized healing classes with Master Dragon Healer Hyesung as well as Master Healer Mimi, who focused expressly on more human injuries, but most interested riders only knew necessary basics and some helpful trauma care for wounds.

            Last lesson, they’d learned about the tiers of dragons. Silver and gold were the largest and most commonly the dragons of Captains or leader figures. This was due in part because they themselves were proud creatures and often used to giving commands even in their natural environment. Copper and bronze were the next largest, making perfect damage soaks. They were the heavy fighters in any wing and bore the brunt of offense and defense. Sometimes stubborn but always protective and dependable, they were among the most common found in the wild, second only to blues and reds.

            The latter were smaller, sometimes noticeably so, but great at hit and run tactics. They often paired well with bronzes and coppers to offer distractions in combat, but were adept at being light fighters too, capable of holding their own but also moving in and out as needed. As evidenced by N, they could also be a bit overly affectionate and energetic. They often needed the most physical contact and reassurance of the tiers as well. The smallest of the tiers were white and black. Ironic since black was always female, like Tiamat, and the lore said she wasn’t exactly small. However, they excelled at aerial acrobatics. Black and white dragons were undoubtedly the fastest and could be counted on for some of the more daring aerial maneuvers in combat. This also meant they were occasionally reckless and difficult to predict, but like bronze and copper, they were also known for being extremely loyal and protective of those they cared about.

            This lesson they were supposed to be learning about the differences between wild, rogue, bonded, formerly bonded, and paramour dragons. Taekwoon wasn’t surprised to see Master Dongwan there – he was always present, as were Himchan and Hyosung, as well as a newer student just a bit younger than Taekwoon. He hadn’t talked to Jimin much yet, but he had an infectious smile, chubby cheeks, and bright blonde hair that made him impossible to miss in a room. On the other hand, Taekwoon was surprised to also see a man he’d only looked at from afar and heard about in Aerie tales.

            Paramour Heechul. He was a man that was either beautiful or handsome, depending on the day. Impossible to miss in a crowd for a different reason, he dyed his hair different colors depending on his mood and wore face paints and dresses when he felt like it. He also had with anyone he decided to accept their inquiry from. Heechul made Taekwoon nervous.

            The Aerie wasn’t shy about the human form or what happened between two people in their private quarters, but Heechul was the kind of person that could make even the most seasoned rider blush. Taekwoon had seen him do it. To High Dragon Commander Eric no less. That kind of power was intimidating and awe inspiring… and he didn’t want it. So of course he was curious as to why the Paramour was here. With a practically glowing gold dragon in tow.

            “I see you’ve all noticed Paramours Heechul and Gain,” Master Dongwan opened when they’d had a moment to observe who had joined them. Heechul was obviously preening under the attention and Gain seemed observant, more than anything, and completely ignoring Dongwan’s silver dragon, Minwoo, much to his bruised pride.

            At the mention of who and what they were confirmed, Hyosung gasped slightly, catching the attention of Heechul himself. Dongwan waved him ahead as he paused to let the Paramour speak. But he did more than that. Heechul floated in with billowing scarlet robes that pooled around him like an emperor when he gently grasped Hyosung’s nearest hand and knelt before her, brushing his lips to the back of her knuckles. “Lady Hyosung,” he crooned, the voice smooth and welcoming. “I apologize that we are meeting only now in person,” he explained, batting long lashes at her as he looked up from between straight maroon bangs that framed his pale face like a long curtain.

            “Oh,” she exhaled uncertainly, at a loss as to what she should say.

            “Heechul,” Dongwan chided the other man with a bemused smirk. “Go introduce her to Gain,” he urged, glancing at his three remaining students.

            “But of course,” Heechul smiled, rising to his feet just as gracefully as he knelt, and tucking Hyosung’s hand into the crook of his arm genteelly.

            As the pair wandered over to huddle near the gold dragon, her tail flicking gently against the ground like a lure to Minwoo, Dongwan captured their attention once more. “You’ll have a chance to ask the Paramour any questions you might have at the end of class. For now, what makes a dragon a Paramour?” he asked, looking at each student in turn.

            When there was no immediate answer, they all blinked in surprise as Paramour Heechul called out unabashedly, “They like pairing.”

            “Heechul,” Dongwan groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers with a long suffering sigh. Like his peers, Taekwoon glanced over to see Heechul’s reaction, but both he and the dragon seemed to shrug as if that explained everything. “Yes,” the Dragon Master eventually agreed with a dry laugh. “More to the point, they are almost always formerly bonded dragons who have been affected by the Symbiosis. On very rare occasions, a bonded dragon and rider will become Paramours but they are the exception.”

            Himchan’s hand rose curiously and Dongwan nodded for him to ask his question. “Is the pairing only physical or does this extend to the Trance state as well?”

            “Good question,” Dongwan congratulated, obviously impressed. Taekwoon’s mind stuttered at the implications and he listened closely to the answer. “It depends on the Paramour and the client,” he explained. “Usually, a dragon will meet with a dragon and a human will meet with a human, but it’s not unheard of or uncommon for a dragon and human to join as it were.”

            It was clear by the silence that followed that few had thought of the possibilities with Trance. While it was true that anyone could enter Trance with a bound dragon, it took time and concentration and mutual want to achieve. For a bonded dragon and rider, it was almost effortless. And with the new information, Taekwoon was beginning to understand just how close Yunho and Hero might be.

            Himchan was still mulling over his discovery and Taekwoon had nothing to say so it fell to Jimin to move the conversation forward. Sort of. Apparently less affected by the revelation, he summarized, “So a Paramour dragon is a formerly bonded dragon. Usually,” he amended, to Dongwan’s approval. “And a rogue dragon is a formerly bonded dragon gone wild?”

            “Also correct,” the Dragon Master nodded. “Wild dragons are the unchanged creatures that exist outside the Aerie. Sometimes, a rogue might attempt to harness and lead them, but in general, they are benign. Dangerous certainly, but not prone to attacking humans without cause.”

            Taekwoon was always happy to know more about dragons, but there was one thing they hadn’t really covered yet and he didn’t know if his other classes would. “If formerly bonded dragons keep their intelligence, what happens to formerly bonded riders?” he asked softly, almost afraid of the answer.

            Dongwan’s expression only made his worry stronger. It was gone as quickly as it came, but there was no denying the sadness that had been there a moment before. “It’s not an easy thing to lose a part of yourself. The dragon feels it too, when their rider dies, but for us, I’ve heard it described as losing a limb or the ability to see color. In extreme cases, the loss is deemed too great and the human fades away or chooses not to exist without their dragon.”

            “Oh,” Taekwoon breathed, the honest and depressing answer sitting heavy in his gut.

            “On the brighter side, one rarely outlives the other,” the Dragon Master explained, trying to add a modicum of cheer back into the conversation. He didn’t mention that it was because they both often died in that scenario (dragons had longer lifespans than humans after all).

            It was a false cheer that didn’t quite reach them for the remainder of class. At least until the Paramours returned, Hyosung among them, and fielded any questions the students might have had. Heechul was not a fan of funeral atmospheres and Gain had finally had enough of Minwoo’s attention. Between the former’s antics and the latter’s perturbed warning hiss that sent the silver dragon slinking off, the students were laughing and smiling again quickly enough.

            Heechul’s final words stayed with them long after the silver dragon left. “Any Paramour can decline any client’s request for any reason.” Though he spoke to them all, it seemed the last part was meant specifically for Hyosung who seemed to be a little more relaxed and confident than when class had started. “Like with the dragons and their riders,” he explained, nodding at Dongwan, “it’s always about trust and understanding.”

            Taekwoon was very thoughtful and very quiet in his room later that evening. He was glad the other two classes had been Geography with Master Sandara and History with Master Kibum, but the first two certainly gave him a lot to think about. So much so that it was difficult for him to get to sleep. He was just considering going to see Master Healer Mimi for a sleeping draught when he heard a quiet knock on his door.

            Curious but glad enough for the distraction, Taekwoon got out of bed and shuffled over to see who it was. “Jinki,” he murmured in surprise when the slightly older boy appeared through the opening in his doorway.

            “Hi,” he waved back warmly, innocent charm and a hint of worry.

            “What are you doing here?” Taekwoon asked after a briefly awkward pause.

            Jinki’s smile widened and he laughed. “You seemed a bit distracted at supper and I wanted to make sure you were okay,” he explained with a shrug, eyes nearly disappearing in his face when he laughed at himself.

            It made Taekwoon feel warm and happy inside that Jinki had thought to check on him. “I’m… okay,” he eventually answered, the words hesitant but honest enough. He was okay. It was just a lot.

            “Yeah. Himchan mentioned you guys had the Paramour talk,” he laughed, cheeks tinging pink in his own embarrassment. Even when he wasn’t present, apparently Heechul could make people blush.

            “It was… interesting,” Taekwoon spoke, feeling his words with care. “But… awkward.”

            That made Jinki laugh again. “I know the feeling. I remember quite well, thank you. We didn’t have that conversation outside with dragons but rather in one of the Healing classes,” he explained, waving his hand as if he could chase away the memory.

            While it was amusing, the conversation also fell quiet as Taekwoon didn’t know what to say in response and Jinki obviously had something left unsaid but wasn’t sure how to say it. “Yeah…” Taekwoon hummed, finger tapping on his door for lack of anything else to do.

            “Yeah,” Jinki nodded more energetically. It looked as if he was going to go away for a moment but then he stopped himself and blurted, “Himchan also mentioned you asked a really good question today.”

            “Oh?” Taekwoon whispered, his stomach twisting into knots again at the thought.

            “It’s scary. I know,” he admitted, biting his bottom lip. “And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t even want to be a rider,” Jinki laughed without humor. Taekwoon remained quiet, certain there would be more. He wasn’t wrong. “There are lots of scary things about being a rider. The Trials. Flying. Fighting. Getting hurt. Your dragon getting hurt. Dying…” he trailed off as Taekwoon’s face continued to pale. With a groan, Jinki smacked his face and he sighed. “I’m not saying this right.”

            “No,” Taekwoon agreed with a shake of his head.

            “Look. What I mean is the Aerie Masters know it’s not easy. They want you to know the truth so you know what you’re getting into. All of it,” he gestured, raising a hand and swinging it in the empty space around him. “And if after everything, if you still want to be one, don’t let anything stop you,” he encouraged. “Not fear. Not the what ifs. Just remember what you’re getting into. Be aware and… do it anyway,” he grinned, clapping his hands together with a nervous but hopeful look. “Okay?”

            For a long moment, Taekwoon just blinked at him. “Okay,” he murmured simply.

            Jinki waited for whatever was going to follow but realized that was it. “Okay,” he nodded then, stepping back with nervous energy and swaying arms. “So yeah. Have a good night,” he added, waving with one hand.

            “You too,” Taekwoon nodded, getting ready to shut the door. He paused though and called out as the other boy was turning away. “Jinki.”

            “Yeah?” he chirped, wide eyed and ready to listen.

            “Next time you wanna give me a pep talk, don’t,” he admitted with a small smile.

            “Right. Okay,” Jinki laughed, giving a partial bow and practically waving in the hallway.

            It was obvious he was embarrassed and Taekwoon decided to take at least a little pity on him. “But thanks for trying.”

            The sincerity in his voice more than anything helped Jinki become still. His smile relaxed and he stood up straighter. “You’re welcome, Taekwoon. See you tomorrow?”

            “Yeah. See you tomorrow,” he echoed, giving a small wave before he closed the door before so neither of them could mess up again.

            Taekwoon had nothing less to think or worry about as he made his way back to bed, but strangely, he did feel better. Jinki’s speech had been a chaotic message of good intentions and poor delivery but he meant well. And that meant something to Taekwoon. It meant he had a friend that cared enough to check on him. It meant he had people he could rely on. It meant that even when things got hard, there would be someone who had his back.

            And that meant more than he had the words to say.

            With that certainty and understanding, Taekwoon was able to fall asleep. And if his dreams were strange that night, no one could blame him after the day he’d had.

 

(a/n: So if you've previously read Chapter 3, you'll notice this is new. I've added information - there was also a bit more new stuff in Chapter 2 though nothing as obvious as this - and have been working on actually developing Jinki and Taekwoon's relationship. It's been nice going back and fleshing out the Aerie a bit more too. As well as the lore and the reasoning for the dragons. I hope you enjoy and please look forward to the next chapter. Thank you!)