Returning to the Aerie

Symbiosis

            “Why are we leaving?!”

            The question barely registered as Tiamat’s thoughts swirled, frantic and worried. When the tiny human on her back shouted at her again, she growled and swung her head around to face him, fangs bared. His fear and pale expression were almost enough to mollify her. Almost. Bahamut is not there.

            “But he has to be!” Kevin denied, gesturing back the way they had come from.

            Tiamat snorted and hissed under her breath. You lied to me, she commented instead, moving her head to look forward, though all her attention remained on him. His confusion amused her. Especially as he floundered for another lie to hold to.

            ”I have merely been selective in what I say,” he responded eventually, clearly at a loss.

            Hah. She projected her laugh just to feel him squirm. He did, to her satisfaction. You told me the dragons were under Bahamut’s control. You told me we would be freeing them. You told me you had never harmed any of my children, she listed off easily, her anger bubbling just beneath the surface.

            The Priest’s silence was louder than a shout. He obviously thought hard about how to respond and eventually offered, “They were bound by Bahamut’s blood. Under his control as much as your children at your Aerie. And we did free them from their riders,” he reminded, waving his hands slowly to either side of them where new dragons had joined their ranks. Tiamat did not respond so he had to continue. “And I have never harmed any of your children,” he emphasized before falling silent again. It was nearly his only defense. True, he had not personally slain any of her children, but he had very much been the instrument of many of their demise and misery.

            Tiamat let him have his silence and life. For now. He was alive only because he had in fact freed her. And, for a short time, had been in control of her. As galling as that fact was, it had given her a chance to adjust to the new world she’d awakened to before growing beyond his power. After that, it had amused her to let him think he had control initially, but his presence had soon grown tiresome. Now though, she was more than ready to be free of him. Especially since he was of no use to her against Bahamut anymore. Something had happened. Bahamut’s body was not in the Aerie. He was not dead though. It would be a mistake to believe so. She would have felt it. Would have known, but if he wasn’t in his body, he was in hiding and that did not set well with her. We’re going home, she told him, startling the human into flinching.

            “But… what about Kokoshir? What about the other dragons on the island?” he floundered, aghast at leaving so soon.

            They can wait. Or come to me, she shrugged. If Bahamut was not using his influence, her presence would likely pull many dragons to her anyway. They would return to their mother if no one else was claiming their attention. She would keep them safe then. Her poor, confused and stunted children. They were but shades of their true selves.

            In time, they could become what they should be. She would make sure of it. But first, she had to confirm that Bahamut would not get in the way. He had nearly beaten her before and it was likely he could do so again. But without him in the way, she would help her first and dearest children reclaim this world. It was theirs in the beginning after all.

 

            Taekwoon was nearly sick with worry and fear as Insoo’s wing finally made it to the sundered Aerie. Despondent wretches met them on the broken grounds, most faces turned longingly towards the north and not a dragon in sight. What happened? he asked Jonghyun, confused by what he was seeing.

            Unsure, was the copper’s quick reply.

            Wait… where’s Jinki? he added, scanning the grounds and not seeing the familiar presence.

            He flinched when Gunwoo roared in announcement of their arrival. They heard a faint cry from somewhere down below, which was slightly reassuring since it meant some dragons had survived or remained, but much of their attention was focused on the rubble of their home. A yawning crater had been dug into the center of the Aerie and there seemed to be a small opening in the bottom. It didn’t make sense…

            As soon as they touched down, Taekwoon scrambled out of his harness and hit the ground running, sprinting for the Aerie Master’s office. “Jinki?!” he called out, bolting through the two sets of broken doors, the innermost door and then pausing at the yawning darkness before him. Taking a deep breath as his inner dragon surfaced almost immediately, he blinked quickly and realized he had been here. He could smell him. “Where?” he asked as if to himself, eyes adjusting quickly to try and glean anything they could from the darkness. Even dragon sight failed him here though… “Jinki?” he called again, blindly making his way down the staircase by feel alone.

            But he tripped on something uneven and hard, falling against a rough surface that rushed up too quickly and hit his face. Stunned, he groaned and reeled back, forehead smarting, only to blink the pain away and return a half-breath later, feeling his way along the surface. “No,” he gasped, moving gloved palms along the hardness in front of him. Whatever had happened, there was no way forward. Stone blocked his path. “No, no, no, no!” he panted, starting to claw at the debris frantically.

            Rider, his dragon called, the sound sharp and hard, like a smack to the back of the head.

            Taekwoon froze, trembling. He was here, he explained shakily, willing as much calm into his tone as possible.

            Mate says may have something, Jonghyun responded softly. Come back.

            But…

            Come back! his copper repeated, firmer this time.

            Taekwoon hit the dark wall with a gloved fist and growled under his breath. He winced when something wet slipped into the corner of his eye and wiped at his face reflexively. “Fine,” he grumbled, turning to clamber up the stairs, using all fours to navigate in a safer manner.

            The soft light of the office was almost too much compared to the total darkness he’d endured and he flinched away, sight returning to normal as his dragon apparently fled. With narrowed eyes, he stepped out and into broad daylight, searching for his dragon. He nearly ran into Chaerin first and she looked at him in surprise and concern. “What?” he practically snapped, more than ready to brush past her.

            firmed though and she stepped in front of him immediately, grabbing his arm to stop him as he tried to move by without pausing. She shifted back a step with his momentum but they both stopped stiffly. “You’re bleeding,” she said when he looked down at her with a glare.

            “Huh?” he blinked, confused.

            She ignored him and took the glove off her hand with her teeth to wipe at his face quickly, fingers coming away smeared with red. “What happened?”

            Taekwoon’s frustration didn’t go away but he tamped it down as much as he could. Part of him knew how foolish he was acting, but it was hard not to react so when his other half was missing and his dragon half was more than happy to come out and play in his agitated state. “I hit a wall,” he grumbled, taking a breath as he let her clear off the worst of the cut on his forehead. What did Jongup find? he asked to distract himself, seeing his copper nearby. All around, the returned riders were moving amidst the dejected humans on the ground and he could see other dragons making their way to the top as well.

            In the hole. Feels mate, Jonghyun answered, tossing his head towards the crater in the middle of the Aerie.

            “Enough,” he murmured, gently grasping Chaerin’s hand as she continued taking care of him. Her glare of frustration could have cut stone, but he added, “Thank you,” and it softened immediately.

            “Just, take care of yourself,” she grumbled, stepping away so that she wouldn’t push him, if her posture was any indication.

            Taekwoon nodded in response and stepped away. He knew it wasn’t a good answer and he should have felt some kind of remorse but he was focused only on his dragon just then. Let’s go, he urged, hopping on Jonghyun as the copper looked towards the hole where Jongup was currently circling.

            Here. The voice was weak and small, but Jongup was easy to recognize. Their connection wasn’t nearly as strong as what he shared with Jonghyun, however it was enough in this situation. Mate feel.

            Where? Taekwoon asked, staring down into the crater.

            Here! Jongup howled as he threw himself at the small opening at the bottom. It was large enough for him normally, but he crashed through an edge and widened the hole further, making it just large enough for Jonghyun and Taekwoon to pass through without trouble.

            The ground rose up too fast and Jonghyun crashed into the surface heavily, his chest hitting the stone when his legs weren’t strong enough to stop him entirely. Ouch… he groaned through their mind link.

            You okay? Taekwoon asked, quickly kicking free to lighten his dragon’s burden as well as to try to look around.

            Go, Jonghyun urged, gesturing towards Jongup who was already moving in the dark.

            Taekwoon blinked again and his vision shifted to dragon sight once more. This time, there was enough ambient light to let him see into the cavernous opening they were in. An overpowering scent made him shiver in tense recognition. No… he didn’t know it, but his dragon half did. Bahamut. But the dragon god wasn’t here… Where was he? He should be here…

            Here! Jongup’s cry broke through whatever questions Taekwoon had.

            Immediately, he sprinted through the gloom, feet nearly slipping on the too smooth surface. Jongup’s wings were flared as he shifted from side to side, nose nudging at something amidst the rubble. It was only because Taekwoon had dragon sight that he was able to see the crumpled figure lying atop broken debris. “Jinki!” he gasped, throwing himself at the other man, knees crying out on the uneven surface.

            Jongup moved back with a whimper of concern. Jonghyun shuffled close a breath later, nearly blocking the light as he towered over both his rider and the other man. Taekwoon didn’t say anything while he gathered Jinki into his arms, eyes scouring his form for obvious injuries and one hand touching, questing to make sure he was whole. There was no immediate reaction and Taekwoon froze, yanking his glove off with his teeth so he could place his fingers under Jinki’s nose to feel if there was breath. He was alive!

            “Jinki?” he tried again, whispering as he brushed the backs of his fingers against the other man’s cheek. “I’m here,” he added, tracing his fingertips along Jinki’s temples and drawing his hair out of his face. “Come on, my heart,” he whispered, pausing to cup the unconscious man’s cheek in his palm so he could simply stare at his other half, willing him to wake up with every fiber in his being. “Jinki. Please,” he begged, closing his eyes and leaning close so he could rest their foreheads together.

            One breath went by in silence. Another. One more… “Mmm…”

            “Jinki?” Taekwoon inhaled sharply, pulling back with a hard swallow so he could see for himself.

            Eyelids scrunched together, reluctant to wake, before opening with a fluttering of lashes. Taekwoon stared as he thought he saw silver flash across the glossy surface before disappearing entirely, leaving nothing more than coffee brown eyes in their wake. Those same orbs blinked in confusion before focusing in his direction and then widening in hesitant recognition. “Taekwoon?” he whispered, staring in blank understanding.

            He couldn’t see him. Taekwoon realized it a half-breath later. “I’m here,” he exhaled, immediately pulling his other half close and holding him tight, cupping the back of Jinki’s head.

            Jinki gasped and reached to hold fast, arms clinging reflexively. “How…?”

            “I thought I lost you,” Taekwoon admitted in a pitiful voice, pressing his lips against Jinki’s hair. When he hadn’t seen him with the others and with the state of the office…

            “What happened?” Jinki asked, fingers grasping hard to the other man.

            “I don’t know,” Taekwoon admitted, partially looking around to see what he could. There was rubble nearby and he thought he smelled blood under the overwhelming scent of what had to be Bahamut, but the cavern they were in was otherwise empty…

            Mate okay, Jonghyun preened in obvious satisfaction. Mate also happy, he added, thoughts pressing in to interrupt Taekwoon with ease.

            Yes, he responded in mental agreement, even as he held Jinki tighter, relief flooding every part of him. “But you’re okay,” he whispered, burying his nose in the other man’s neck, filling his sense of smell with his Jinki.

            “I’m here, love,” Jinki murmured, one hand soothing Taekwoon’s hair. It was a reflexive gesture more than anything. “But… where’s Bahamut? And… what happened?” he asked again, still completely lost.

            “It doesn’t matter,” Taekwoon grumbled, arms holding tighter as if he could somehow keep the outside world from interfering in this moment. “You’re okay and I’m here.”

            “Woonie,” Jinki practically cried, holding on as tight as he possibly could.

            If Taekwoon could have made this moment last forever, he might well have. But the outside world would not wait for them or their sentiments. Gunwoo calling, Jonghyun whispered after a moment of blissful silence.

            What does he want? Taekwoon mumbled, petulant in the distraction.

            Insoo wants to make sure mate is okay and speak with all, his dragon explained simply, a helpless shrug obvious in his response.

            Ugh, Taekwoon mentally groaned, taking a partial breath as he convinced his body to relax its hold on Jinki so he could look down at him again. “Can you move?” he asked softly, tracing his fingers over his other half’s face once more, as if he was trying to memorize every feature with his fingertips.

            “Yes, I think so,” Jinki nodded in agreement. “I’m okay. Just… confused I think,” he admitted, searching for Taekwoon’s hand so he could hold tight.

            “I’ve got you,” he promised without hesitation, firming his grip. “Come on,” the rider whispered, standing up carefully on the uneven surface. With extra care, he guided Jinki away from the debris, one arm looped around his waist and the other gripping the trembling hand. “Jong,” he called out, looking at the outline of his dragon against the backdrop of light.

            Ride mate. I will make way easier, he responded instead, jumping off the ground as he did so and attacking the opening with single minded focus.

            For just a moment, Taekwoon watched the dragon tear chunks of stone free, knocking them away from the trio below. But then he felt Jinki shift just a touch, almost like he was swaying. “Jongup,” he called, guiding them towards the nervous blue. Without needing to be told, Jongup lowered himself low to the ground and waited as patiently as he could. “Easy,” Taekwoon crooned, moving step by step with Jinki as they climbed onto Jongup’s forearm like a step.

            “I’m okay,” Jinki promised, the hint of a laugh hidden in his voice.

            “I know, just…” Taekwoon trailed off with a shrug, obviously hovering. “Here,” he encouraged, stepping up enough to make himself a bridge to help push Jinki into position.

            “I’ve got it, Woonie,” his other half assured him, though he did use the rider’s shoulder as a support before he squeezed it warmly.

            “Okay. I’m coming up behind you now,” Taekwoon called, clambering atop with practiced ease. “Just hold onto the harness. I won’t let you fall,” he promised solemnly, securing his straps to the harness and then wrapping both arms around Jinki’s waist to hold him close against his body, legs firming against Jongup’s sides in the process. Jinki nodded in understanding, hands moving from Taekwoon’s to grab onto the harness in front of him. “Jongup. We’re ready,” he called aloud so his other half would hear it too.

            Okay, the blue responded with an obvious nod. His body heaved up in one smooth motion, surprising Jinki all the same. He gasped and tensed up, the sensation obvious under Taekwoon’s hold. We go up, he added, head turning towards the opening before he spread his wings and hopped into the air. Jonghyun was still working at the outermost edges but the blue moved close and then stalled as he started to fly straight up.

            It was a challenging task, made more so by the small space and the added weight. Taekwoon had to work extra hard to keep them leaning forward as he fought the motion of each wing beat and the pull of gravity below. But they were fortunate that it didn’t take long to clear the opening. As soon as he safely could, Jongup leveled out and simply started climbing up, switching back to flying in a rising spiral when it became easier to do so. Jonghyun wasn’t far behind them. He made more noise in getting out of the hole, widening it further, but followed a similar pattern as Jongup’s departure.

            But even as they all cleared the hole and made their way to land on solid ground again, Taekwoon could tell that Jinki was not prepared for what he saw. In all honesty, now that he’d found his other half, he wasn’t really ready for the situation either. Of course he’d seen it when they’d flown in, but his initial panic and driving focus was gone, letting the nature of their current reality settle in painfully.

            “What happened?” Jinki asked in a mere whisper, his voice carrying back just enough because the wind caught it.

            “Tiamat,” Taekwoon murmured back, hugging Jinki tighter around the waist as he rested his chin on the other man’s shoulder and waited for them to land. He hadn’t seen her do the damage, but that was the only explanation he could offer, especially since Bahamut was missing but it didn’t seem as if he’d come out of the mountain. The destruction, the missing dragons, the utter despair that hung in the air like fog… they had to be Tiamat’s doing.

            “But… what happened to Bahamut?” he asked, shaking his head as if confused.

            “I don’t know,” Taekwoon answered in honest confusion. “The Aerie was like this when we arrived. Tiamat was flying away and you… were in the hole in the ground,” he explained, glancing at Jinki’s profile out of the corner of his eye.

            “Oh…” Jinki exhaled, hands moving to tighten around Taekwoon’s, clinging hard when Jongup touched down.

            Taekwoon didn’t move for a moment, letting Jongup settle and using the time to simply hold his other half. His discomfit hadn’t settled yet at how close he’d been to losing his other half and he really didn’t want to let go yet. But neither had the luxury of claiming time for themselves. As soon as Insoo saw that Taekwoon had Jinki with him, the Wing Leader made his way over to start asking questions.

            Unfortunately, Jinki didn’t have many answers. Looking to the despondent Commander Yunho wasn’t much help either. His mood was unresponsive and his eyes were glassy, still staring to the north. Nor was he the only rider to be in such a state. Healers Mimi, Henry, and Himchan moved among them as quickly as possible while Paramours Heechul and Hyosung offered comfort and consolation as best they could. And when Seunghyun finally arrived, ferried by one of the dragons from below, he was the one to take control of the bleak situation.

            Taekwoon saw the older Combat Master take stock of the terrain with quick, critical eyes. He flinched when the sharp gaze raked over him, noticing the rider and Aerie Master almost nonchalantly before slipping past, taking note of everyone and everything he could see. He nodded once and took a short breath. “Wing Leader Insoo. Get your wing to help the riders. Ask Master Mimi if you have questions. Sanghyuk! Check the dining hall. Joy! Find out the condition of the sleeping hall. Jimin! Go find Master Junjin! Aerie Master! With me!” he finally called, the command reaching Taekwoon first.

            He jerked in surprise and held tighter to Jinki, not wanting to let go of the other man. That seemed to alert Jinki to the fact he was the acting Aerie Master and he inhaled once, looking around as if coming out of a stupor. “No,” Taekwoon murmured in quiet denial, pulling his other half to him just a bit more.

            Jinki swallowed hard and turned in Taekwoon’s arms to look up at him, pale and wan and obviously overwhelmed, but trying so hard to rise to the moment. “We have to do what we can, love,” he whispered, biting his bottom lip when he finished speaking. “Help your riders,” he urged, raising a hesitant hand to brush at the crusting cut on Taekwoon’s forehead. “I won’t be far,” he mumbled, the sound nearly failing as the words almost died on his tongue and his shoulders slumped, head bowing.

            It was like watching a sculpture crumble before his eyes. Taekwoon felt powerless to stop it too… “It’s not your fault,” he promised, lifting Jinki’s chin with his finger so they could look at each other.

            “Maybe not,” he whispered, bottom lip trembling and voice thin. “But it feels like it is.”

            Taekwoon didn’t say anything as he exhaled and pulled his other half into a tight hug. “It’s not,” he reiterated, trying to will the strength of his belief into Jinki in the hopes that it might bolster the other man.

            “Aerie Master Jinki,” Seunghyun called again, gaze sliding away from them after a short glance.

            “Taekwoon,” Insoo called, grabbing his wing mate’s attention.

            Jinki laughed, a hollow sound. “Go,” he urged, pushing at Taekwoon with a defeated air hovering around him.

            The slightly taller rider didn’t know what to do. He glanced at his Wing Leader, confused and at least a little bit angry at the interruption. His gaze shifted to Seunghyun with the same sensation, but then fell back to his mate with a similar sense of despair. He didn’t know how to pull Jinki out of this feeling. Didn’t even know if he could. Everything in him didn’t want Jinki to go and his stomach twisted when his other half tried to pull free. Taekwoon caught one hand quickly, swallowing when Jinki looked back at him in slow surprise.

            “Woonie…” he exhaled, expression heavy.

            Taekwoon pulled Jinki to him, trapping him against his body as he looked down into his mate’s face. The warmth of Jinki’s breath brushed against his cheek and Taekwoon forced a weak smile. “It’s not your fault. And even it if it was, it wouldn’t matter. You are my mate. My heart. What is yours is mine. For good or ill.”

            Jinki’s eyes glowed a warm earth color in the sunlight, a watery sheen making them brighter than usual. “Woonie,” he whispered again, a degree of life returning to the sound.

            Taekwoon’s smile widened into a more natural expression and he kissed Jinki, cupping his face with both hands. He wasn’t as good with words as Jinki was, but he didn’t have to be when he could at least show him what he meant, what he felt. He broke their kiss and pulled apart just enough to rest their foreheads together as he spoke again. “Do what you must, but I am here. Always,” he promised, lifting his lips to Jinki’s forehead and then stepping back to create just a little distance between them.

            “Thank you, Woonie,” Jinki laughed once, the sound weak and forced but better than the dead tone it had been earlier.

            This time, when Jinki pulled away, Taekwoon let him. Reluctantly of course. But the change was noticeable. His other half wasn’t better but there was a hint of life in him again as he steadily joined Seunghyun for whatever the Combat Master wanted to talk about. When he heard someone clear their throat, he looked to the side in mild surprise. Insoo looked at him with a raised brow and a bemused smile. Taekwoon shrugged and looked away, not entirely sure how to respond. His Wing Leader didn’t press though. He just tapped Taekwoon on the shoulder with a light fist and then jerked his head to the side mutely, calling him along to other tasks. They had a lot of work to do after all.