Epilogue

Symbiosis

          Jinkarim. That was what they’d renamed the Aerie after it had been formed anew. Jinki had been more than embarrassed but the general population had voted in favor and overruled him. There had been some debate about Satoru’s name being used but though he had been the catalyst for change, it was Jinki that had started to lead them forward, one way or another. It didn’t hurt that he’d literally become a god at the end, if only for a short while.

            From the sky, the Aerie looked familiar and yet, oh so changed. Dragons and people filled the space and traveled through the air. Livestock lowed in the fenced off pens and children - oh so many children - cavorted through the grounds, laughing and playing and shrieking in delight. The food stall vendors were in full swing with savory scents of roasted meats and mouth watering sweet breads wafting through the air. That last one was definitely a hand me down recipe from Junjin. Others set up stalls temporarily to sell homemade goods and trinkets especially for days like today.

            The Aerie was absolutely alive with life and for a very good reason. There had been a hatching this morning – an auspicious sign indeed on the day of a Symbiosis ceremony. She glanced at the nesting grounds in the rear heart of their home and felt warmth bubble up within her. So many memories. So much new life.

            At the thought, movement in the corner of her eye made her look over to see a wing of mixed riders and dragons dancing in the sky. She smiled again at seeing a familiar presence among them. Though her protégé from the refounding days had since passed, Krystal’s presence lived on in her descendants. One of her daughters, a black dragon as well – with short, delicate horns and curlicue tipped wings, was certainly leading point among those in the air. Admittedly, neither she nor Krystal had intended to have a clutch at the time, but they were new to the changes in the Aerie and were among the first to welcome new life to their new home.

            The same could be said of most of the other founders in turn. Looking downward again, she spied the great grandson of Seunghyun and Sunny. He was a bit young for his position, but Combat Masters ran in the family. His father was the recently retired Combat Master and he had just stepped into his position. As usual, he was making a final run of the grounds to make sure that everything was as it should be. One of their granddaughters had also been inducted into the Creationist Sect that rose after Tiamat’s passing. They followed a creative dogma that was just as much science as faith. Personally, she liked them better than the Order of the Silver Dragon. They weren’t bad exactly, but they were certainly pious and stodgy at the best of times. There were a couple other new orders that had popped up since then, but those were the primary ones. There was still a small shrine to Tiamat and Bahamut in the Aerie but neither was a prominent religious order anymore.

            Angling closer to the dragon grounds, the gold dragon started to descend. A couple of her grandchildren were lounging in the sun and they opened amber and gold eyes to peer at her before taking a breath and settling further into sleep. Most of them had left for other Aeries and other cities – many had needed to with the initial population boom, but a couple remained at home. It always made her happy to see them. Just like the couple descendants of N, Gunwoo, and V in particular did as well. Speaking of V, she settled on the ground and paused to see if she could find Jungkook and Chaerin’s granddaughter. Oh, the relationship between them hadn’t lasted and she’d eventually gone to Dragon’s Nest, the Aerie that used to be Tiamat’s, but he had certainly helped her through a difficult time in her life.

            The newly awakened wild dragons had claimed the Aerie first and their name had stuck despite attempts at the time to change it. She rather liked the sound of it herself. Granted, it could have been named Dirt and she would have been happy back then. It meant they were alive and growing and changing as they should. As she carefully walked through the Aerie, she could see signs of everyone she had lived with during that time as well. The leatherworks had Minsoo’s original designs all over them, and the metal works had Baekho’s worn and oft repaired sign hanging over it. Soohyun’s original vendor stall was still run by family, one generation after the next.

            Looking at the Healer’s Hall, she could practically see Hyesung instructing on dragon care, though now it was a granddaughter of Henry and Jongin from different sides of the family. The gold watched her juggle an armful of medical supplies before two apprentices appeared almost out of nowhere to help her. They laughed together, off white robes and healer’s emblems clearly setting them apart as they headed for the nesting grounds.

            As it was a ceremony day, the classes were all closed and students and Masters alike were out and about. There was one related to Amber and Kibum; one of Sandara’s descendants ran by with all the energy she’d usually showed; she glimpsed a great grandson of Wonshik and Hyosung – she had been a surprise child at the time; and there was also a descendant of Wooyoung and Taeyeon threading through the throng. As she raised her head to follow the weaving brunette, she became briefly entangled in a string of banners hanging into the main square.

            For a moment, she tried to free herself surreptitiously but then she sighed as a human ran up to help her. “I’ve got it,” the young man beamed, the expression almost painfully reminiscent of Wing Leader Insoo.

            She allowed him to clamber up her back, taking care to not bruise her aged but still lustrously golden skin. He shimmied up her neck and used her halo like horns to anchor himself as he unwound the banner from the inside and over the crescent crown like part. When freed, she lowered her head to set him on the ground gently and nodded in mute thanks.

            “I swear, they put up more than the last time,” he laughed, running a familiar hand over her smooth neck. “You good now?” he asked, to which she purred in grateful agreement and nodded once more. “Okay. Well, take care then, Gain! I’ll see you in front of the nesting grounds!” he waved, hurrying off with youthful exuberance and excitement.

            Gain watched him go and then padded along in his wake, moving slowly enough that humans would have time to get out of her path. Or to linger close enough to brush their fingers against her like she was a luck charm or in quiet reverence. She pulled her wings up higher to make sure they didn’t hit anyone on the ground, the shift revealing nearly translucent and gossamer esque webbing near the tips, like gold mesh fabric. She noticed appreciative gazes turning her way and preened proudly. No matter how often it happened, it still made her smile and reminded her very much of Taekwoon’s first reaction to seeing her changed form.

            Speaking of Taekwoon… Maybe, a quiet voice inside her hummed.

            She smiled again and continued making her way to the nesting grounds. The entryway was clear and sunlight poured down into the center, warming the sands that had a few eggs waiting to hatch. The shells from the morning had been cleared away and the hatchlings had been guided to the nursery nearby. Outside, a motley selection of humans and dragons of all ages milled about, obviously waiting for the midday mark. They were the upcoming participants of the Symbiosis ceremony after all.

            While she was glad for them, her sights were mostly focused on the entrance to the nursery. She’d been out with a younger wing when the hatchlings had emerged and she was hoping to see one in particular this time. Though she couldn’t help but let her eyes stray to a young silver in the group waiting for the ceremony to start. It seemed as if he felt her looking at him and turned towards her, briefly glancing behind him in confusion. When he nodded at her in acknowledgement, she smiled, which only confused him further. He ducked his head and Gain laughed to herself.

            Jonghyun, the small voice laughed, sharing in her amusement.

            Yes, but in this life, he is Changjo, she reminded him, happy all the same. And none too far from him was a moon-eyed copper that ran a bit on the small side for his color. He was from a later clutch and a couple years younger, but Jongup had not changed at all. Except in name of course. Now he went by Angel, because when he wasn’t staring at Changjo, he always looked happy.

            Gain smiled at the copper and wandered closer to the nursery entrance so she wouldn’t be in the middle of everything. And she moved none too soon. In her wake, the heads of the Aerie approached with quiet aplomb. The current Aerie Master had married into the Dongwan family but she was a good sort. And the Dragon Commander was apparently a distant relative of Yunho. At least this one wasn’t quite as tense as his ancestor had been, though he did look quite serious all the same.

            Patiently, and soon flanked by two of her grandchildren – another gold and a red – Gain watched at the Symbiosis ceremony began. In times past, bonding between dragons and riders had been forced and sealed with blood magic. Now, it was the dragons that chose whether they wanted to share their life with another human beyond just friends. Not unlike a hand fasting ceremony, it was a promise made between a dragon and a human to forever be one half of a whole. Unlike before, such a promise could be revoked as well, but such occurrences were rare and did not suffer the same painful repercussions as in the past. It still hurt, but more like a normal broken heart. Or so she’d been told.

            Nevertheless, the ceremony went off with both dragons and humans speaking their affirmations aloud. Yes. In the time since the refounding, the newly born dragons had developed the ability to speak out loud, much as Tiamat and Bahamut had before they passed. It still sounded a little strange to human ears, but it was quite intelligible. Though one still needed Symbiosis to speak mind to mind. The actual promise was made in Trance while the spoken part was a formality for everyone else to witness.

            And once the affirmations were complete, everyone cheered with throaty approval and then, at last, the dragonlings and hatchlings were allowed to come out and greet the newly bound pairs. A fledgling silver led them out with one of Jiho’s granddaughters at his side. She waved at Gain and the silver paused just a moment to look up at the much larger dragon. Oh, they knew each other, but it almost felt like he knew or recognized that she was someone more than just the oldest living dragon in the Aerie.

            Onew, she smiled down at the youngling and he pranced in place, happy for the acknowledgment.

            Did you meet the babies yet, Lady Gain? he asked with a nod back towards the awkward and endearing hatchlings making their way into the grounds. Their mother and father – a bronze and a silver - were sitting sentries above, perched on the nesting ground top and keeping a watchful eye over everything.

            Not yet. I was showing your dragon mates how to fly when they decided to hatch, she winked with a glance at a couple similarly sized dragons nearby.

            They noticed her attention and fluttered their wings as if to show her they remembered what to do. We’ll do better next time! they promised in unison.

            Good, she nodded, keeping her amusement to herself as she eyed the nest mates.

            Oh! Here they come! Onew announced, turning around to keep a close eye on the newcomers. Be careful of Leo in the rear. He’s a little shy.

            Onew stepped aside to make room for the hatchlings to toddle their way past. Gain lowered her head and nuzzled each one as they came by, offering the same affection to the newest caretaker as well. He was short and grumpy at first glance, but a complete softy otherwise. As evidenced by his carrying a white dragon in his arms while a bronze bumped constantly against his thigh.

            “Hey Gain,” he greeted with a nod, unable to wave for the wide eyed hatchling clinging to him.

            Her granddaughter answered for her. “She says hello,” the gold smiled, nodding at him. “And hopes that you take good care of these newest younglings.”

            “I’ll do my best!” he promised enthusiastically, wincing when a sharp claw dug into his shoulder. “Ow, ow, ow, ow!”

            Gain blew a gust of warm dragon scented air over the hatchling and he calmed down immediately, blinking up at her with bright silver eyes. Hi, he chirped with the mental voice.

            Hello little one. Be careful with your human, okay? she encouraged, nuzzling the tiny head with her nose as he chittered back.

            “Thanks,” the caretaker grinned, petting the white dragon before he started moving forward again.

            She nodded and then swung her head to the back where another caretaker, this one related somewhere along the line to Sanghyuk and Joy on different sides of the family, was bringing up the last of the stragglers. There were two – one black one, the apparent runt of the clutch, and an almost wary bronze.

            Gain crooned encouragement and the bronze froze, standing up straight to look at her with large amber eyes. Finally, her inner voice smiled, recognizing another part of the same whole.

            I see, the gold sighed in contentment and happiness.

            When Taekwoon had asked her for a favor, she hadn’t really understood what it meant. She only knew that he was aware his time was short and he wanted someone to be able to keep an eye on things for a while. As a dragon that had experienced life through humans and dragons alike, he thought she would be uniquely suited to help guide their path forward. Originally, it hadn’t been much more than her usual Paramour duties, and then unexpected motherhood and all that entailed, but as her life continued on as others fell victim to time, she became a mentor and general counselor.

            As a god, Taekwoon had given her the gift of longevity by allowing his inner dragon to bond with her, thus extending her life. She didn’t know how long that would entail and neither did the dragon. They only knew that life continued and when Changjo had hatched, they’d felt the similarity to Jonghyun. Likewise, the experience had happened for Angel and Onew as well. And finally… she felt it one more time.

            Her heart swelled with joy and pride as the bronze dragon slowly walked right up to her. “It’s alright,” Onew soothed reassuringly as he edged closer to try and comfort the hatchling.

            The bronze eyed him once and then turned his attention to the gold towering over them. He opened his tiny mouth and gave a little roar at her. It made Gain snort and Onew nearly stumble. Hello little one. Welcome back, she greeted as she lowered her head and nuzzled at his bronze body carefully.

            He lifted up on his hind legs awkwardly and flopped against her face with uncoordinated wings and claws. “Leo!” Onew hissed in horrified surprise.

            It’s alright, Gain assured him as she moved her head to make sure he didn’t fall. Tiny claws flailed at her horns, almost like he was trying to make sure they were real.

            Gold, he blurted once, bumping his head against Gain’s forehead.

            Onew exhaled once and nodded. “Yes. She’s gold. That’s good Leo, but you need to get off her now. You’re being rude,” he chided softly.

            “Leo,” Jiho’s granddaughter laughed while she stepped in and carefully hefted him into her arms. “Sorry, Lady Gain. It’s the first time he’s seen a gold dragon,” she giggled, holding him so that his claws couldn’t find immediate purchase in her thin skin.

            “Grandmother says it’s fine,” her grandson, the red dragon at her side, shrugged, blowing a gust of warm air at Leo. He opened his mouth to roar at the red with a tiny and all too cute sound. “Feisty isn’t he?” he asked with a chuckle.

            Gain nodded and her granddaughter answered for her. “Keep an eye on that one. He’ll likely be a handful.”

            “Thanks for the heads up,” the caretaker grinned as she started to wander back towards the general crowd out front.

            “Come on, Leo. You can see Gain later. Now we gotta meet everybody. Maybe you’ll find someone you want to partner with,” Onew promised, his head swinging close to the bronze body. Though Leo didn’t say anything in response, Gain didn’t miss how his tail lightly brushed against the silver neck, curling around it just a touch.

            And so perhaps history will repeat itself, she mused, smiling at all the joy around them.

            Maybe better history, the inner dragon offered hopefully.

            Indeed. Today was a good day. It had taken them a lot of bad and hard days to get here, rife with stress and tensions between factions and cities and growing pains, but today was good. Nothing could diminish that truth for the moment. And as she looked at the reborn Angel, Changjo, Onew, and Leo, the former Paramour could only hope that this time they might have the life they didn’t get to have before.

            Maybe this time, fate would be kind.

 

(a/n: Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how to feel at this point. I'm happy. I really am, but after putting over 300,000 words on paper, it almost feels surreal saying I've actually completed the story. I know there's a lot that could be said in this world and maybe one day I'll come back to add more to it, but for now, I'm happy with how Taekwoon and Jinki's story has ended. And begun again. Like Gain, I do hope that in this iteration, they can be happy for a full lifetime. Or at least have a full lifetime this go around. haha

I do hope that the epilogue might have answered any further questions you had and if you do have questions, feel free to ask. I wanted to at least give a glimpse into the world they're moving forward in. Of course, there's the larger continents to consider too, but a lot has happened with the Aerie itself. And the people. If I didn't list anyone from the core story, it's not because there wasn't anything to say. There were just a lot of characters and not everyone connected to them made appearances. haha

If nothing else, thank you so very much for staying with me on this journey. I hope that you've enjoyed it and if you feel inclined to share your thoughts, I'd be much obliged. But if not, know that I appreciate your presence all the same and I wish you all nothing but the best! Thank you again and have a wonderful day!)