Getting Ready

Symbiosis

            Despite leaving the cave together, neither Taekwoon nor Jinki had much opportunity to talk after they departed. As acting Aerie Master, Jinki had much to start doing until they could hear word from Yongguk in Kokoshir. Taekwoon watched him go, their lightly clasped hands sliding apart reluctantly as his other half headed for the Aerie Master’s tower. His heart ached at the sight of his other half’s shoulders bowing under the weight of his new responsibilities. He found his tongue wouldn’t work either and so could offer no words of encouragement. Really, he wouldn’t even know where to begin…

            Mate goes with him. Always, Jonghyun promised with a nod towards the blue trailing at a slight distance.

            It wasn’t much, but it was something, and it did make Taekwoon feel a small bit better. Thank you, he murmured in response, still watching the other man cross the Aerie yard.

            “I almost envy your youth,” Hyesung commented, his eyes trailing after Jinki as well. When Taekwoon turned to look at him, he snorted softly and shook his head once. “You look as if the world is ending. And yet we’ve seen nothing of its presence just yet,” he added flatly, his eyes shadowed. Taekwoon flinched slightly, the words stinging in their unwanted truth. But then the Healer looked at him and urged, “Come along then. If the end is approaching, we’ve no time to waste.”

            “Huh?” the rider blinked in confusion, glancing at his dragon to see if he knew what the other man was talking about. Jonghyun did not.

            “Aren’t you going to see the Paramour?” the Dragon Healer asked in genuine surprise.

            “Why would I?” he wondered, equally confused.

            Hyesung’s brows flattened and his lips thinned. “Considering your previous congress with Gain, I thought it was obvious that you might speak with her about creating a rune.”

            Taekwoon blinked quickly as he thought about it. “I… She didn’t even know that the runes were dragon speech until I told her.”

            “Huh,” the Healer chirped in immediate acceptance. “Still,” he shrugged, turning to head towards the Paramours’ Quarters. “I imagine you will need a dragon to help you. The young are often creative but not as… capable many times,” he mused, calmly walking off without a backwards glance.

            He means me, yes? Jonghyun asked after a confused pause.

            I think so, Taekwoon nodded, chewing on his bottom lip.

            Can think of rune… the copper grumbled in irritation, fidgeting in place.

            His irritation amused Taekwoon just enough to pull him out of his own. I don’t doubt it, Jong. But… more minds probably wouldn’t hurt.

            His dragon obviously wasn’t too keen on the idea, but after another pause, he huffed and exhaled noticeably. Fine.

            Alright then. Let’s go, Taekwoon grinned, reaching out to pat the copper on the shoulder consolingly.

            They went to the Paramours’ Quarters easily enough and were admitted without trouble. Moving into Gain’s room showed them Andy, Commander Eric’s forlorn dragon, and Hyesung already speaking in Trance. Gain was watching over them, but her gold eyes shifted to the pair as they entered immediately. She nodded her head and then lowered it so that her gaze could be level with Taekwoon’s.

            “I did not think I might be seeing you so soon,” she commented as he arrived in Trance with her.

            “Nor did I,” he admitted with a helpless shrug. “But I must admit to needing your help.”

            “Again?” she teased, her tone flatter than normal but the humor obvious in her eyes. She grimaced when she realized her attempt at levity was not what it should be. “Forgive me. Andy’s loss is hard for all dragons to bear.”

            “I’m sorry,” Taekwoon murmured automatically, not sure what else to say.

            Gain’s face lightened into a genuine smile and she stepped close to caress his cheek with a warm palm. “Your intent I will accept. Your words I will not. You’ve nothing to be sorry for,” she assured him with a hint of her usual strength. When he ducked his head in acknowledgement, she went on, “Now. What help is it that you need?”

            She offered no teasing possibilities as she might have done otherwise. Taekwoon had a feeling they would likely fall flat of whatever her intentions might have been. “I need to know if we can create a rune,” he explained simply, hands gesturing out in a sign of helplessness.

            “Oh? That is interesting,” she admitted with a gleam in her eye. “What kind of rune?” she wondered aloud, leaning a bit closer.

            Taekwoon shrugged half-heartedly and responded, “Something to cancel other runes.”

            “As if… to nullify?” she mused aloud, fingers clasping her chin in thought.

            “Yes,” he confirmed with a nod. “Or banish, but I think that will work better as it may still have the effect of letting the original user believe they are still working.”

            Gain crooned in amused approval. “You would pull the wool over the caster’s eyes would you?” When Taekwoon nodded, she grinned, the expression slightly feral and almost dangerous looking. “I imagine the original creator is the same person that has caused Andy such grief?” she prompted with a side eyed look.

            “Probably,” the rider nodded.

            “Good enough for me,” she laughed once, waving her hand as if brushing off any other thoughts. “Let’s pull Jonghyun in and see what we might be able to do,” she added, her expression turning slightly distracted and stiff.

            Taekwoon jumped when his dragon suddenly appeared from above and came hurtling down to join them. In human form. Jonghyun gave Gain a slightly miffed look and grumbled, “Would have come anyway.”

            “I know,” she grinned cheekily and then promptly summoned a table for them to take a seat at. “Let’s begin,” she winked, falling into her chair as she pulled a suddenly there piece of parchment in front of her. Her hands waved above them and she made marks for the runes Taekwoon had shown her previously. “Now. Can you write the runes you’ve seen?” she asked expectantly, pushing the parchment towards him.

            Taken aback by how quickly it was moving, Taekwoon blinked and then shuffled to the table as he slowly nodded. “I think so.”

            “We can,” Jonghyun promised with a nod.

            “Good,” Gain nodded as she waved the copper to the table.

 

            Taekwoon was mentally exhausted when he finally trudged back to the room he shared with Jinki. He wasn’t hungry so he hadn’t bothered to go to the dining hall or the kitchen for an evening meal and he wasn’t even sure that his other half would be there when he got back. Chaerin had left Heechul’s care but the dragons – via Jonghyun – had said they’d help keep an eye on them in the meantime. Good. That was one less thing to worry about.

            He did flinch when he opened the door and heard Jinki’s voice first though. “Long day I take it?”

            The rider eased inside with a grunt of confirmation and a small breath. “You?”

            “The same,” Jinki admitted as he perched on the bed, one knee drawn to his chest and his arms wrapped around it.

            “Been waiting long?” Taekwoon asked while he closed the door behind him and took a quick look around before settling himself gingerly beside his other half

            Jinki shook his head no and took a breath. “I didn’t get back until recently myself.” He released his hands to rub his face tiredly and sighed, “There was so much to think about in the office today.” His voice was tired and pained, a tremulous sound that let Taekwoon know just how close to exhaustion he probably was.

            Gently, Taekwoon pulled Jinki against his chest and held him close, pressing his lips against the top of the other man’s head. “A lot’s happened…” he trailed off with a frown. “Have you heard from Yongguk yet?”

            Jinki stiffened slightly and then shook his head in answer. “We probably won’t get a response for a couple days, given the weather…” he trailed off, shifting to wrap his arms around Taekwoon’s waist.

            “Anything you wanna talk about?” Taekwoon asked cautiously, knowing there was probably a fair bit he couldn’t, due to his new status.

            His other half scoffed and shook his head emphatically against Taekwoon’s chest. “I knew there was a lot of stuff that happened outside of the public eye in the Aerie but I was not prepared for everything that Satoru was taking care of,” he admitted with an obvious grimace. “I spent the whole rest of the day just going through records and trying to figure out where to pick up the pieces. I mean… Yongguk was supposed to be doing this next and… he might be able to come back but in case he doesn’t…” he almost whimpered, holding tighter as if he could somehow borrow Taekwoon’s strength.

            “My heart,” Taekwoon whispered, hugging his other half tighter. There really wasn’t much he could do for him. He knew that, and it hurt.

            Distract. The helpful hint was exactly what he was going to do anyway, but he appreciated the advice from his dragon.

            I know, he smiled and turned his focus to Jinki once more. “Well, I can at least give you some good news,” he promised, gratified when he felt a slight lessening of tension in his other half’s arms. “We were able to create a rune today,” he explained softly, his voice full of wonder and pride.

            “Really?” Jinki asked quietly, the sound muffled as he stayed pressed against Taekwoon’s body.

            “Yes. It was harder than I thought it might be, but… once we figured out what was probably possible, Gain in particular was able to guide the process,” he explained, recalling what they’d accomplished earlier that day.

            It was clear Jinki was curious. He pushed back so he could sit up and it was hard for Taekwoon to let him go. But once upright, Jinki smiled and nodded. “Yeah?”

            “Yeah. It’s strange. The dragons can read runes, but they weren’t able to write them at first,” he admitted, brow furrowed.

            “That is strange. Why do you think that is?” Jinki wondered, chewing on his bottom lip thoughtfully.

            “Jong wasn’t as interested but when Gain explained it felt like they should be able to remember how to write runes, he did agree. As she said, it’s almost like something is… blocking them. Keeping them from accessing that part of their… heritage I guess?” he offered uncertainly. She’d explained it as such but he didn’t really understand all of it.

            “So… if they don’t know how to write runes, how did they come up with one?” Jinki asked, genuinely curious now, his hand holding fast to Taekwoon’s.

            The rider laughed once and nodded. “They took pieces of other runes and put them together to form one that should roughly mean nullify,” he explained with a wondrous shake of his head. “She made me write down all the runes I could remember. I couldn’t do it alone. Jonghyun had a much better memory for it. But after that, they started taking them apart and then taking bits and pieces and putting them together. It was interesting watching them try to fit different parts and sections together,” he explained, the memory playing vividly in his head. “But it was tiring. I think… I mean, I don’t know, but it felt like Jong was using me. Not in any bad way. Just… my strength I guess. Or really my thoughts,” he added by way of clarification. “I feel like I spent the whole day practicing but I haven’t fought anyone.”

            “Well that’s different,” Jinki admitted, searching Taekwoon’s face as if he was looking for something. His free hand came up to trace gently against Taekwoon’s skin, following invisible lines slowly. “Any ideas why?”

            “No,” he admitted with a sigh. “It seems to be one more mystery to add to the pile,” he scowled, though the expression softened when he looked at Jinki again.

            Jinki sighed and nibbled on his bottom lip again, not looking at Taekwoon this time. “So many things we don’t know.” There was a silent pause between them before Jinki looked up, catching Taekwoon’s gaze. “Woonie… did you know about Chaerin?”

            Taekwoon’s stomach knotted at the same time that it dropped and he grimaced. He’d been expecting it, but that didn’t make the topic any easier to consider. “No,” he answered quickly. “I mean… not really,” he admitted, brows knit together in his thoughts. “I think a part of me… wondered?” he offered with a shake of his head, recalling that moment in the other Aerie especially. "But nothing ever happened,” he promised intently, turning his gaze on Jinki without looking away now. But Jinki was looking down, though their hands were still linked. Cautiously, Taekwoon offered, “Are you mad at me?”

            “No,” Jinki laughed once, the sound bitter and sad. He didn’t look up but he did continue. “I’m not mad at you. Wasn’t mad at you. I was just… mad in general I think. Or maybe sad. I don’t know,” he admitted with a gusty sigh. “I know you didn’t do anything,” he explained with a frustrated tone. “But it didn’t stop me from feeling like maybe you did.”

            His self-reproach was obvious and Taekwoon couldn’t help but pull him back against his chest, hugging tight. “I would never betray you if I could help it,” he promised determinedly, arms firm around his other half.

            Jinki’s laugh was sad and understanding. “I know that, love. It’s just… you heard her. The High Priest might well be able to control dragons and people,” he admitted dejectedly. Before he could fall into further despondency, he pushed himself away from Taekwoon and looked at the other man intently. “But it did make me think,” he started, his lips in his flurry of thought. “You said there’s an infertility spell here. More or less. So how would his plan be able to come true? I mean, whatever might happen, or not,” he added quickly in his rambling explanation, “nothing should happen after. Unless there’s something we don’t know or understand about her or you or what’s going on with your bond. I don’t know,” he admitted, obviously flustered and too full of thoughts he couldn’t make sense of.

            “My heart,” Taekwoon soothed, clasping Jinki’s face in his hands and making him steady his gaze. “They are good questions. But I don’t have the answers right now.” Nor did he really want all the answers for this particular topic. “For the moment, I think we should probably just sleep and see if we can’t find more tomorrow. Master Mimi’s going to ask Ryeowook to help with Satoru and see if the new rune might take effect on the morrow.”

            “Oh?” Jinki asked, blinking quickly as he was snapped out of his train of thought. “Does he think Satoru might wake up?”

            “We don’t know yet,” Taekwoon admitted cautiously. “But if we can get him to come around. Maybe with a direct healing rune, we need to be able to keep Kevin from listening in if possible. So Ryeowook would have the best chance of making that happen. Probably. He does know more about runes after all,” he added with a breathy laugh.

            Jinki smiled and nodded, forcing himself to take a breath before he tried to respond. “You’re right. What was it someone said…? Don’t focus on everything that could happen. Think about what’s going on right now first and then plan accordingly,” he murmured as if reassuring himself.

            “Exactly,” Taekwoon smiled, leaning close enough to kiss Jinki’s forehead.

            His other half ducked his head in mild embarrassment and then leaned forward to wrap his arms around Taekwoon’s torso in a tight hug, head resting comfortably on his chest. “One step at a time,” he whispered, relaxing further against Taekwoon’s body.

            “One step at a time,” Taekwoon echoed, running a soothing hand down Jinki’s back. Considering they didn’t know what the future looked like, that was about all they could look forward to.

 

            Though the future was uncertain, it was also quite busy. As soon as possible, Ryeowook was consulted to try and apply a nullification rune to Satoru’s body. Per his instructions, the rune itself was harmless, but with the proper power source, it could be made to be effective. In other words, they needed blood. From a powerful figure. After a brief discussion, Ryeowook concluded it should be a dragon’s blood as humans were lesser conduits of Bahamut’s power. Or rather, since it was a dragon’s tongue that was trying to be used for the rune, then it should be a dragon wielding the power.

            There was much discussion about that but eventually, Gain stepped into the power void. Her explanation was simple. You all have riders. Different priorities. Different focuses. And you are all younger than I am. So I am pulling rank and taking this responsibility, whatever may happen.

            None could gainsay the gold Paramour so her blood became the catalyst for the nullifying rune. Within a day, it became obvious it was the only perceptible rune as tested by Taekwoon and his dragons. If it meant what they thought it meant, it was a success. A healing rune was applied next, powered by Minwoo’s blood this time. Hero had wanted to, but Dongwan pulled seniority and explained that if there was any sort of connection, Commander Yunho and his dragon needed to remain as free as possible. Neither Yunho nor Hero had been happy, but they understood. Since the healing rune was lying atop the nullification rune, they assumed it would work outside of the nullification effect, but they wouldn’t know for at least a couple days.

            As expected, no immediate effect was ascertained, but Satoru did not pass. He simply remained in a state of deep unconsciousness. Though, since the nullification rune had worked, to the best of their knowledge, it was only a matter of time before the healing rune worked in turn. Or so they all hoped.

            Through a personal messenger on horseback, Jinki learned that Yongguk would not be able to return to the Aerie as anticipated. The King wasn’t holding him hostage exactly, but neither was he allowing the other man to return at this point in time, citing unexpected difficulties and unseen tensions he needed experienced hands to help with. All that meant was that Jinki had more work than he was ready for and more worries to add to the mountain already piling up. During the day, he closeted himself in the Aerie Master’s office, trying to prepare for what was expected of him and attempting to get ready for what might yet come. When he wasn’t closeted inside, he was wandering the Aerie, checking on everyone and everything and trying to make sure they were all as ready and taken care of as they could be in the meantime. At night, he collapsed in Taekwoon’s embrace and became dead to the world when he slept.

            In an effort to not add to Jinki’s already growing concerns, Taekwoon took to looking into the Outer Sanctum of the Aerie Tower. When he wasn’t watching over Chaerin, as instructed, he was scouring every bit of surface area for runes or signs of what might be within the Inner Sanctum. He still remembered vividly going down the steps to the rune circle in the depths, but he wasn’t specifically allowed to go there. Oh, obviously he could approach the Outer Sanctum, but even in these unpredictable times, there was at least one dragon watching over the entrance. Previously, it had been Dongwan that had taken him to the doors of the Inner Sanctum. As much as he was inclined to simply do as he wanted, as he knew he needed to do, he couldn’t bring himself to break the rules in such a way. Especially not when it might mean dealing with a protective dragon. But when nothing on the outside helped alleviate his curiosity, he admitted that he had to at least speak with Master Dongwan.

            “I’m surprised it took you this long to come ask,” the Dragon Master chuckled when Taekwoon finally asked for help or permission to enter the Inner Sanctum.

            “I thought there might have been something I could find without entering the Inner Sanctum,” he admitted with a resigned shrug, shaking his head.

            Dongwan gave him a bemused look and laughed once. “Of course. But such a place is carefully guarded for a reason,” he reminded the younger rider. “And while I can’t say my personal permission would be condoned exactly, mayhap the next time you seek entry, the way will be easier…”

            “Does that mean…” Taekwoon trailed off, a burgeoning excitement blossoming in his . Dongwan gave him a raised brow look and he nodded once, the excitement fading slightly as curiosity set in instead. “But… why? Not that I’m not grateful mind you,” he added quickly, biting on his lip.

            The Dragon Master seemed amused by his response, but he nodded and took a breath as he looked away. “Rules are good for helping to create order. Many times they are helpful and backed by reason. I’ve no desire to break any such things currently, but… as our present situation would dictate, no stone should be left unturned.” He paused and regarded Taekwoon carefully, dark eyes clouded with thought. “You seem to have a unique ability. Reading runes.” He snorted then, looking away with a twisted mouth. “Who would have thought we’d had magic filling the Aerie so completely…” The words were soft, almost as if spoken to himself. “It’s only right that the truth come out sometime.”

            “Thank you, sir,” Taekwoon murmured softly, bowing low in his gratitude. He wasn’t sure how to feel. He hadn’t been given permission but he had been given an in, perhaps, but it was obvious Dongwan wasn’t particularly happy about what the reality of the Aerie actually was.

            The next time he approached the Outer Sanctum, the dragon on duty, one of the older rider’s dragons if he noticed correctly, pretended he wasn’t there and simply let him pass. Taekwoon didn’t press his luck by trying to speak with the dragon and simply continued inside, taking note of the Bahamut statue in the interior room and the paintings commemorating the Dragon God himself. He wondered just how many were true. But they did not hold his attention long. The doors of the Inner Sanctum called and he moved to them swiftly, stepping into the innermost room cautiously.

            Magic made his skin tingle as lights flickered to life inside, eternal torches illuminating the way. Stairs yawned before him and Taekwoon took a breath. He didn’t have a light of his own this time, but he knew the way and what awaited him. Plus… he had dragon sight this time. It wasn’t good enough to let him see in total darkness, but it was better than his eyes.

            Reaching the bottom of the stairs, Taekwoon blinked around in the oppressing gloom. There was nothing to let him know anything was different or that anything would happen. Only the ever present itch of magic that made his skin crawl. But he had to at least try, so he stepped forward and inhaled once as the circle of silver fire appeared before him. This time, he was in no hurry to step within. This time, he needed to understand the circle and what it was. This time, he stayed outside and waited, observing and thinking about what it might mean…

            When he wasn’t skulking around the Aerie, searching for clues or runes, Taekwoon did his best to watch over Chaerin, as instructed. For her part, she seemed quite intent upon doing everything she was expected as a dragonrider. Her and her siblings worked hard to hone their fighting and riding skills, when the weather allowed. As much as possible, she avoided being in single company with Taekwoon and otherwise focused on working with Ryeowook to better understand runes, or she spent time with the Paramour Heechul, or she asked Combat Master Seunghyun for extra lessons. Anything to keep her busy.

            The dragons of Insoo’s wing watched over the other newcomers as anticipated as well, working with them when necessary and interacting as before. Despite some initial concerns, none acted out of the ordinary, but all caution was maintained accordingly. That was especially true when the nullification rune was also applied to Ken and JR, the errant dragons that had been given to the Aerie by Kevin. Wonshik hadn’t forgiven himself for not noticing the runes previously and Aron had been more than a little depressed at his unfortunate situation. At least once they were given leave to work with their dragons again, some spark of life returned to their eyes. Nothing could be done for Jiyeon in the interim, though she had been spending time with Andy more. Both had lost their partners recently, after all. Even if her bond had not been as strong and as established, she understood better than most what the gold dragon was going through.

            Combat Master Seunghyun began instructing even the civilians to take emergency self-defense courses in the covered walls of his salle. They didn’t understand the necessity exactly but no one wanted to question the Combat Master. His wrath was legendary and, if nothing else, it was better than simply sitting around, feeling the weight of what they didn’t know pressing down on them. When the Aerie residents weren’t training, the Masters and riders were, in some form or another. And if they weren’t with Seunghyun, then someone was with Master Leatherworker Minsoo or Master Blacksmith Baekho, repairing weapons and armor, and making weapons and armor. It was their task to be sure everyone had some kind of attack and defense gear, just in case. As such, special scavenging and hunting patrols had to be sent out just to make sure the Aerie had enough food for all the extra work and time they were putting in.

            Masters Kibum and Sandara continued their work on the mural in the Aerie Master’s foyer, revealing more of the picture day by day. Though progress was slow, they were finished before the cold moons ended. Once done, some of Jinki and Taekwoon’s worst thoughts were realized. The mural showed a very different history from the one that they’d been taught in the Aerie. Far from being the benevolent god that had ascended to the heavens after saving man from his mad mate, Bahamut had instead been bound by man on this realm after his fight with Tiamat had resulted in a draw. From there, his power had been contained by powerful magics crafted by the hands of many Dragon Priests. That his body was painted directly below the image of the Aerie could have been symbolic or literal, and Taekwoon was quite worried it was the later. What was worse, the binding appeared to have been done at great cost if the faint indication of red and silver on the hands of the priests was any indication.

            And instead of being Bahamut’s chosen representative on the earth, the Bahamut High Priest was a self-ordained fixture. The most powerful priest within the order of Bahamut who took control and raised himself into the figure they knew today. The same could be said for Tiamat’s fall and the subsequent rise of her followers, if the mural was any indication given by the presence of a mirror image for the Priests of Tiamat. Though the last panel itself was clear, it was obvious that a man should have been in it. After the fall and binding of Bahamut and after the rise of the Priesthood, it would only make sense that a single figure would establish themselves as dominant in place of the lost Gods. And no, it would not be the King…

            Though very historically important, the information uncovered was kept from the general Aerie populous, adding only to the burden of those in power. There was something to be said for the bliss of ignorance. They would be equally powerless either way. The confirmed truth weighed especially heavy on Taekwoon and Chaerin, neither of whom could guess when exactly Kevin might have started his rise to power.

            And while the truth was a heavy burden to bear, Jinki felt the coming warmer months like a glacier he could not even fathom stopping. A worming worry s through everyone in the Aerie, sapping their strength and adding fears of the unknown to what was already there. No one said much about it, but they could feel it. The rising tension, like the coming high tide, pushing against them day by day. No one knew what exactly, but something was going to happen soon…

            Bahamut be praised… the thing that happened first, after more days than any cared to count, was Satoru finally waking up.