Unconsidered Possibilities

Symbiosis

            Taekwoon glared at the glowing circle in front of him. It remained a mystery, for the most part. That it was magic was undeniable. That it was also a summoning circle of some kind was also quite likely. The circle itself was comprised of dozens of runes writ into the stone, repeating over and over again. Binding again – of course, but also summons. Warding… presumably to keep outside influence at bay once the circle was entered, and guidance. Perhaps that was why the figure he’d seen last time had been as helpful, albeit challenging, as he had. Fire, obviously, and power as well as something that looked like beginnings. Taekwoon wasn’t sure what the power or beginnings was about but the rest he understood. It was notable that binding was the first and last rune in the sequence, doubling up on each turn.

            “What am I missing?” he asked, puzzled. The circle always came to life when he approached it. That much had not changed. But… Taekwoon took a breath and stepped into the circle once more, feeling the circular walls slide over his skin like an itchy blanket. Standing in the center, he waited for something, anything to happen.

            Nothing.

            His skin tingled and he felt like he was being watched by something but there was no sensation of falling. No silver eyed, silver haired man. Absolutely nothing. Attempting to summon whoever it had been had met with nothing but failure as well. Silence was all that returned to him. “I know there has to be something,” he scowled, pacing around the interior as if his caged energy might somehow trigger a reaction.

            Mate calls. He stopped abruptly upon hearing from Jonghyun, the mental voice jarring after the extended period of nothingness.

            Blinking quickly, Taekwoon shook his head and responded, Reason?

            Satoru wakes, Jonghyun explained quickly, the tone curious.

            Taekwoon knew what he wanted to know and he shook his head. No progress here, but tell Jinki I’m coming.

            Okay, his dragon agreed easily, pulling from the mental conversation like a passing breeze.

            “Shards,” Taekwoon scowled once more, glaring at the silver flames before stepping out and hurrying up the stairs. At his back, the light receded quickly, casting him into darkness again. Perhaps Satoru would be able to explain more. That is, if he was in any condition to talk.

 

            Quiet, subdued voices fell silent as Taekwoon carefully entered the Healing Hall. Four sets of eyes turned to stare at him as one, pinning him in place with their intensity until they recognized who had arrived. Jinki’s features softened first and he managed a weak smile at his other half, though he did not move to join him. Instead, he remained at Satoru’s side, one hand clasped between both of his. Master Mimi nodded once in acknowledgement and shifted his attention back to his patient, focused once more. Only Commander Yunho continued to regard Taekwoon with a blank expression, his thoughts unreadable.

            Wary… Jonghyun grumbled irritably as he followed along mentally.

            I don’t think he fully trusts me, Taekwoon admitted with a small bow in Yunho’s direction. He didn’t wait for permission before he started to edge towards the bed, though he felt the Commander’s eyes on him all the same.

            Hero same, his dragon scoffed, the implied eye roll quite obvious.

            What about your mate? Taekwoon wondered as he reached Satoru’s side. He allowed a small smile to grace his face as he saw the older man was weak and washed out but very much alive, if the fire in his eyes was any indication. “Master Satoru,” he bowed deeper this time, waiting for a response before he stood up again.

            Liked by most, his dragon responded before the Aerie Master did. As should be.

            “I take it your dragon informed you of my waking,” he murmured with the hint of a chuckle in his voice.

            “Yes sir,” Taekwoon nodded, standing upright. Good, he sent back to his dragon before letting him know he was turning his attention elsewhere for now.

            “I hear you are also somewhat responsible for this,” he went on, extending his left arm to show the new rune drawn darkly over the other runes.

            “It was mostly Gain and Jonghyun, sir,” he explained with a shake of his head.

            Satoru regarded him for a moment, eyes sharp and perceptive. “Still. I thank you. Truly,” he added with an intense sincerity that made Taekwoon’s gut twist in sympathy.

            Master Mimi cleared his throat and lowered his fist from his mouth to speak. “Niceties can be exchanged later. Important information now. Then rest. Then if you’re well enough, you can talk at length later,” he instructed firmly, his voice soft but the tone inflexible. Taekwoon ducked his head and flushed, both at the praise and indirect chastisement.

            “Of course,” Commander Yunho spoke easily, moving closer to the bed now. “You were explaining High Priest Kevin’s involvement in the Aerie.”

            Satoru’s face collapsed with distaste and pain. But then he took a breath and nodded once, mouth thin. “Yes. I was.” His jaw worked mutely for a moment before he could continue, dark thoughts flickering across his face without explanation. “He is secretive, so much of what he has done and what he has planned is beyond my knowledge. But he craves power. Relishes- relished,” he corrected himself quickly, the relief obvious and palpable, “the power he had over me and…” This time he did stop, the name dying on his tongue.

            “It’s alright,” Jinki soothed at his side, squeezing the limp hand gently between his.

            “I am glad he fought until the end,” Satoru whispered with a pained smile, his free hand drifting to brush against the wrappings on his lightly covered chest. Without adding further to the thought, he shook his head minutely and blinked, though the statement confirmed what Taekwoon had hoped. Commander Eric had not gone down without a fight. “That being said, our reprieve is likely only temporary.”

            “We have suspected that something might happen after the cold moons,” Commander Yunho admitted with a dark frown.

            “And you are likely correct.” Satoru’s response was ominous in its simplicity. “He has been working towards something for a long time now. I don’t know what or why, but I have seen him change over the years. Little by little,” he murmured, chewing on his bottom lip. “Each time he comes, he takes more of Bahamut’s Blood,” he explained tightly, face pinched.

            “The binding tonic?” Jinki asked for clarification, eyes darting to Taekwoon expectantly.

            “Yes and no,” Satoru answered cryptically, the response setting Taekwoon’s nerves on edge. “Bahamut is here.”

            It was so plainly spoken that, for a moment, it simply didn’t make sense. Mimi spoke first, his furrowed brows and quick blinks showcasing his confusion. “Of course Bahamut is here. He is always with us,” the Healer went on, echoing the sentiments of the Priests.

            Satoru’s quiet mirthless snort only served to conjure a harder knot in Taekwoon’s gut. “No. He is here.”

            At the emphasis, Taekwoon and Jinki looked at each other. “The mural!” “The journal!” they spoke at the same time, earning the Aerie Master’s thoughtful glance.

            “I see you’ve been busy,” he commented, focusing on Commander Yunho as he tried to judge the other man’s reaction. Healer Mimi was wary but listening.

            “They had mentioned something about the stories of Bahamut’s ascension perhaps being not so true,” he conceded with a begrudging nod.

            “Why don’t we know about this?” Jinki asked softly, pulling the Aerie Master’s attention back to him.

            “Now…” Satoru sighed, his lips slowly. “It is because High Priest Kevin has decided that no one should know. But… this started after the Dragon Wars. When the Priesthood came into power. I don’t know all the-”

            “Wait,” Yunho murmured, holding up his hand to stall the Aerie Master. “You’re saying that the Dragon God Bahamut is here. In the aerie. His physical body is here,” he clarified, tone a mixture of disbelief and anger.

            “Yes,” Satoru answered simply. “The knowledge has been bound to us.” He winced once but continued quickly. “Until now, we have had no power to speak of it. Bahamut’s Blood is the dragon’s blood. Bahamut’s Aerie was built on top of Bahamut’s bound body.”

            “What you speak is madness,” Yunho scowled with a shake of his head.

            “But no less true,” Satoru countered, looking at the younger Commander with steady eyes. “Had Commander Eric lived longer, you would have been inducted into this knowledge eventually.” His strong façade suddenly broke as he raised his hand to cough, attempting to stifle it with poor luck.

            “Satoru,” Master Mimi warned as he stood up and moved closer, giving the other man a quick once over.

            “Not yet,” the Aerie Master waved off his concern quickly. “I will rest, but I must finish,” he explained, meeting the Healer’s eye intently. “I fear there is little time,” he added regretfully, voice soft and sad. “And I do not know if this will hold,” he added with a tense look at the runes on his arm.

            The Healer sighed and his shoulders slumped slightly. “Alright. But only a few moments more,” he cautioned, one finger pointed at the bed-bound man.

            Satoru nodded and then glanced at Jinki and Taekwoon first but then refocused his attention on Commander Yunho. It was obvious the new information had unsettled his world considerably. “I said earlier that something was going to happen. I believe that to be true and we will need you to be ready for it,” he stated simply. “Commander Eric felt it as well and was trying to prepare you as best he could,” Satoru sighed, the rush of air escaping like an old man’s wheeze. “Though Kevin may be the Bahamut High Priest, I do not think he is our ally. Should the worst come to pass, I do not believe he will help us.”

            “Madness,” Yunho repeated again, the word his last bit of dying defiance. Anger suffused his features then and he clenched his fist as he glared at the Aerie Master. “Whatever might be coming matters not. This is still our home and I will make sure it is protected,” he growled. “Whoever the enemy is!” Frustration was evident on his face as he finished his burst and stalked from the room, leaving an uneasy silence in his wake.

            “Such information is not easy to accept at first,” Satoru mused as he looked at the closed door. Taekwoon followed his gaze and then looked back at Jinki, realizing the other man had been watching him. “I do have to wonder why you were so capable of uncovering what you…” Satoru suddenly trailed off, letting his gaze slide from Jinki to Taekwoon. His eyes narrowed thoughtfully and he hummed once. “So… that is probably why he has been so interested in you,” he whispered as if to himself.

            Bond, his dragon spoke as he said, “My bond.”

            “Mm,” Satoru nodded once, but did not elaborate more. He glanced at Mimi and nodded in understanding before he reached up and pulled Jinki close enough to whisper in his ear.

            Curiosity itched like mad and Taekwoon wanted to move closer to hear. He was made more curious at Jinki’s wide-eyed blink and nod. “I understand,” Jinki murmured, swallowing hard.

            As if speaking with Jinki had drained the last of his energy, Satoru sagged against the piled pillows and seemed to sink into them. “From here, we must be ready for anything. I have no way to confirm, but since Bahamut is here, it is likely Tiamat’s Aerie also has Tiamat. I do not know what it might mean for any of us, but…” His voice tapered off and he simply shook his head, letting go of whatever he was going to say.

            Jinki looked to Taekwoon, but he had no answers to offer. His other half’s face crumpled slightly and then he focused on Satoru once more. “Whatever will come, we will be ready. Somehow,” he promised, desperate to offer some sort of assurance.

            Satoru’s smile was sad when he looked at his younger protégé. “There are some things we can never really prepare for,” he exhaled, eyes falling to his arm again, the ghost of bitter resentment flickering across his features. “Go on now,” he urged with a forced laugh no one felt. When Jinki didn’t move at first, he pulled his hand free and nudged the young man away with a nod towards the door. “You’ve much to think about and I’ve a Healer to placate,” he snorted once, the hint of amusement just evident.

            “Indeed,” Healer Mimi hummed in the back of his throat as he moved close enough to give Jinki another nudge so he could take his place.

            “But what if something hap-”

            “You’ll be one of the first to know,” Healer Mimi assured him with a quick interruption.

            “Come on,” Taekwoon urged, offering his hand for Jinki to take so they could head out the door. He would not deny he was eager to leave the room, but it was largely so he might learn more about what Satoru had told his other half.

            For a moment, Jinki hesitated, torn between loyalty to his mentor and the need to actually leave. It passed quickly enough and he nodded to himself before he took Taekwoon’s hand and allowed himself to be led outside. “Okay.”

            Impatience gnawed at Taekwoon as they crossed the Aerie yard, the area brightly lit by the midafternoon sun. People moved about as if it was any other day, though there was an air of tiredness hovering over them. The extra training and lessons and subconscious tension was starting to weigh on all of them. Taekwoon felt it but he had other thoughts to distract himself with. At least he had the forethought to wait to try and say anything until they were in their shared room. Despite the early mark of the day, it had become standard practice for them to seek the privacy of their room when they needed to speak about something. Now was one of those times.

            But when he turned around to face Jinki in the security of their room, his other half looked conflicted. “What’s wrong?” he asked automatically, though he had a sinking feeling he knew what the issue was.

            Jinki sighed and his shoulders slumped further. “I know what you’re going to ask and… I can’t tell you right now,” he finally offered, sliding past the other man to take a seat on their bed, clasping his hands in his lap.

            “What?” he asked in stunned confusion, blinking at the admittance. “Why?” True curiosity colored his tone and he moved to stand in front of Jinki, full of snarled energy.

            “Because it’s not a simple answer,” he admitted with a slight frown, hands clenched tightly together.

            Taekwoon didn’t know how to feel for a breath. He started pacing in a tight circle in front of his other half. “But if we know where Bahamut is and how to get to him, we can finally get answers to the questions we don’t know. We can see if we can free him and get his help. We can finally be one step ahead of the High Priest!” he growled, stopping as he glared at a spot on the floor in front of him.

            “Woonie.” Instant irritation ran up his spine at the tone, but he turned to look at his other half. “Would you look at yourself?” he asked helplessly, gesturing towards the still standing man with a tense motion.

            “I’m fine,” Taekwoon snapped, though he at least forced himself to stand upright and roll his shoulders to ease some of the tension.

            Jinki’s facial expression spoke volumes. “Would you please come sit down?” he asked evenly, patting the bed beside him.

            “Don’t want to,” Taekwoon grumbled childishly, resuming his pacing, though it was not as frantic as before. “I want answers,” he admitted quickly. “And I know that you know where to find them, but you won’t tell me.”

            “Woonie,” Jinki called again, extending his hand this time so that Taekwoon might take it.

            “It’s in the Inner Sanctum, isn’t it? The entrance,” he spoke, ignoring the outstretched hand as his mind raced.

            “No, it’s not,” his other half stated simply with a sigh. “Why can’t you see I’m trying to protect you here?” he exhaled in frustration, pulling his hand back as he followed the rider with his eyes.

            “I don’t need your protection!” he snapped back, his skin feeling itchy and hot.

            Rider…

            “Yes you do!” Jinki finally snapped back as he stood up, glaring at his other half. Taekwoon was surprised enough to stop and look at the other man. Jinki so rarely raised his voice at him. “Look at you!” he added with a frantic gesture, moving his hand up and down to take in the breadth of his body. “You’re all dragon right now,” he explained with a furrowed brow. “All aggression and direction but no thought,” he stated, almost spitting the last word out.

            “I’m frustrated!” Taekwoon responded defensively. “I don’t know what’s going to happen! I don’t know how to figure out the circle in the Sanctum! Captain Yunho doesn’t seem to trust me! I’m failing and I don’t know what to do!” he admitted, some of the tension leaving with his breathy exhale. His shoulders slumped as if in defeat and he growled quietly to himself as he turned away.

            He flinched slightly when arms slid around his waist from behind as Jinki hugged him, pressing hard against his back. “You might be frustrated, Woonie, but I’m scared. Terrified,” he admitted quietly, his breath tickling Taekwoon’s neck where his chin rested on the other man’s shoulder.

            Protective instincts flared and he laid his hands atop Jinki’s. The anger and frustration were still there, but they had taken a backseat to his other half’s plight. “I’ll keep you safe no matter what, my heart,” he promised, turning his head so that Jinki might hear him better.

            “From Bahamut even?” he asked in a whisper, dark eyes meeting Taekwoon’s.

            “What do you mean?” Taekwoon asked, the aggression falling even more as confusion took its place.

            “Love,” Jinki murmured, tightening his arms around the other man’s waist. “By all accounts, Bahamut is akin to a god. He is a highly intelligent dragon and a very powerful one. One that has been forcibly bound by humans for hundreds of years. Would you want to help us under those circumstances?” he asked simply, looking at Taekwoon carefully.

            It felt very much like Taekwoon had been dropped into cold water. All the tension fled from his body and he felt a strange echoing sensation in his bond with Jonghyun. That was not something that had occurred to him. Exhaling slowly, he turned in Jinki’s arms to fold him into his embrace, holding tight. “Okay,” he swallowed and nodded.

            “I just think we need to approach this very carefully,” Jinki admitted quietly, his mouth pressed against Taekwoon’s shoulder.

            “I understand,” he murmured in response.

            But Bahamut bound is still not good, Jonghyun added, mirroring one of the thoughts Taekwoon had as well.

            “I agree, but if he does feel that way, our options are limited,” he explained aloud so Jinki could hear too. “Bound, he is angry but relatively powerless. Free, he is angry and… has power we can’t know yet. And killing him…”

            “Is not an option!” Jinki quickly snapped, body tensing at the mere idea.

            “I know, my heart. Just thinking out loud,” Taekwoon promised, though a tiny part of him wouldn’t dismiss the idea entirely.

            “Maybe we’re all wrong and he won’t be angry and if we can break the binding, he’ll be happy to be free, but… until we know more… we just have to be careful,” he explained, pulling away enough to get a better look at Taekwoon’s face.

            Taekwoon smiled and nodded once, bringing a hand up to caress Jinki’s cheek with the back of his fingers. “We don’t have much time before the cold moons are over, but we have some for now,” he explained as calmly as he could. His stomach was still in knots and he had no fewer questions, but at least in this moment, he was… content.

            “Exactly,” Jinki encouraged, smiling too.

            “Sorry for getting mad at you,” Taekwoon mumbled as he looked away guiltily and then back at the other man’s face.

            “Foolish man,” his other half sighed with a dryly amused snort. But he hugged him close all the same, arms clinging with an unspoken desperation neither wanted to voice.

            Taekwoon reveled in the sensation and nodded in quiet agreement. Yes he was… “I won’t ask you right now. We need to speak with Satoru more before we try to do anything… foolish,” he added with a forced laugh. “But we will have to do something soon.”

            “I know. Just not right now,” Jinki whispered.

            And of course they had time before the cold moons were over. High Priest Kevin might have had great power, but he didn’t control the weather. Granted, no one knew what to think about the noticeable earth shake they all felt two days later. Nor could Taekwoon entirely dismiss the strange, ominous sensation that accompanied it, the feeling echoed by his dragon and mate.