...of the End?

Symbiosis

            For Taekwoon, the shock was there but it wore off quickly enough. His heart still hammered in his chest and he felt sick but he approached the desk carefully, swallowing hard. It was obvious that Commander Eric was dead. There was no sign of life, but despite all the blood under Satoru, he needed to check.

            “Taekwoon…” Jinki said in a breathy whisper.

            He didn’t look back, his attention focused on the man before him. Trembling hands reached down and pressed against the nearest arm. His body flinched when the touch made his skin itch. Magic… But he pushed it aside as he used his other hand to brush the hair from Satoru’s face, allowing him to see. There was no obvious sign of life but he leaned close and listened hard. Was that…? Taekwoon gasped and reached down to place his fingers in front of Satoru’s mouth and nose. There! Thin and shallow but there was moving air. “He’s alive!” he exhaled, looking back at Jinki and Chaerin.

            “He is?!” Jinki exclaimed, bolting to his side to check for himself.

            “Help me with him!” Taekwoon commanded, hopping over the desk and carefully lifting Satoru away from it so they could get a better look at what they were working with.

            “Careful!” Jinki warned, frantic energy making him shaky. “Oh Bahamut, that looks bad…” he trailed off, biting his lip as he came around the desk the long way.

            “Chaerin. Go get Master Mimi,” Taekwoon ordered without looking up, keeping his focus on the stab wound in the Aerie Master’s chest. Right side. Deep puncture through the bone. Missed the heart but… might have pierced a lung by the wound position.

            “But-”

            “Now!” he snapped, looking up and glaring at her with wild eyes. She inhaled sharply and made a surprised sound before she backpedaled and fled the room.

            “What do we do?” Jinki asked uncertainly, hands fluttering over Satoru’s body.

            Shards if Taekwoon knew. He took a breath and looked around for some sort of cloth. “There!” he pointed at the small towel on the sitting table nearby. “We need to try and stop the bleeding,” he explained as he awkwardly pulled the bloody fabric around the wound and pressed down with his hands.

            “Okay,” Jinki swallowed, rushing over to the table. He bumped into the chair and nearly stumbled when he did so, but he grabbed the cloth and returned quickly. “Here.”

            “Thanks,” Taekwoon nodded, using the cloth to try and staunch the flow of blood.

            “Why would Eric…?” Jinki trailed off, completely lost to the situation.

            “I don’t kno- oh Bahamut’s breath,” Taekwoon scowled, a pained expression crossing his face. “Can you check on Eric’s dragon?” he asked, speaking aloud and through his connection so both Jinki and Jonghyun would hear.

            Yes, came the immediate reply. His dragon had obviously been listening in but was remaining silent for the time being.

            “Oh Andy…” Jinki sighed, raising his hand to his mouth as he glanced at the Commander’s body. “Taekwoon,” he murmured pitifully, clearly not prepared for this.

            To be fair, Taekwoon wasn’t either. He wasn’t even sure how he was functioning as well as he was, but for now, he could only do what he could do. We here, Jonghyun reminded him, sending a supporting feeling that made Taekwoon swallow hard. Of course. Even when they weren’t here they were. Gold alive. Not moving though. Sad. Lost, he explained bitterly, the harsh tone moving through the bond easily.

            I see, Taekwoon answered with a nod, nearly jumping out of his skin when Chaerin returned with Master Mimi in tow.

            The Healer took one quick look at the scene and made an immediate run towards Satoru. Henry and Himchan followed quickly but froze in the doorway, completely caught off guard by what they saw. “Henry. With me!” Mimi snapped as he brushed Taekwoon and Jinki away, deftly maneuvering into place and looking over the badly injured man. “Himchan. Attend the Commander!”

            “Yes, sir!” they stammered in near unison, breaking apart awkwardly as they moved to do as commanded.

            Without looking up, Mimi continued calling orders for the remainder of the people present. “Jinki. Go find Captain Yunho. Chaerin. Retrieve Master Hyesung. Taekwoon. Guard the doors. Make sure no one comes in,” he finished tersely, face a mask of concentration and focus as he worked quickly.

            “He’s dead,” Himchan whispered as he looked up from Eric’s body.

            “Then help us,” Mimi answered with a short wave as he nodded at Henry to help him move the body on top of the desk. “What are you still doing here?” he asked quickly as he realized the others hadn’t moved yet. “Go!”

            Taekwoon and Jinki flinched and started for the door automatically. Chaerin was closest and she ducked through with no hesitation. At the entrance, Taekwoon just looked at Jinki and held his hand tightly, searching the other man’s face. “It’ll be alright,” he promised, though he did not know that in the least.

            “You’re right,” Jinki nodded nervously, the reaction involuntary if anything. “Be safe,” he urged, brushing his other fingers against Taekwoon’s face before he reluctantly pulled away.

            “You too,” Taekwoon responded, watching his other half hurry off to find Captain Yunho. Go tell Gain about Andy. She’ll know more about what to do, he urged his dragon as he looked around the Aerie and noticed curious and worried eyes starting to look his way. His stomach twisted when he looked down and saw his hands were blood stained and he fled inside, closing the doors firmly behind him.

 

            It did not take long for Chaerin to return with Master Hyesung who disappeared inside quickly, leaving the riders outside. And then Jinki returned with Captain Yunho in tow, face pale and drawn. He nodded at Taekwoon once and hurried inside, leaving the trio without once more. Their thoughts were heavy but their mouths were silent, having no words to speak about what had happened or why yet. They flinched when Henry and Himchan emerged quickly, sprinting to the Healing Hall. Just as quickly, they returned with arms full of medical equipment and supplies.

            A moment later, Himchan returned with shadowed eyes and moving at a much slower pace. “I’m supposed to go watch Junsu now,” he murmured as if moving by rote instead of voluntarily.

            And even when he left, the three stayed within the enclosure of the foyer, not sure where their place was. Gain with gold. We will see.

            Thanks. There was nothing else he could say yet. Taekwoon wanted to try and put things together, but his thoughts were too full of Eric’s death and Satoru’s injury. Murder was not something he was so familiar with but in the brief time he’d spent within, it didn’t seem as if Satoru could have killed Eric. He had no weapon and their positions were wrong for it. Or so it felt. If he had to guess, he would say that Eric had stabbed Satoru and then apparently took his own life. But it made no sense and for the moment, was otherwise impossible or unbelievable. He would not believe it.

            The energy inside the Aerie Master’s office was tense and frantic and it seemed as if the energy outside was also worried. It was oppressive being caught in the middle. They were spared only slightly when Master Hyesung stepped out with a weary and pained expression on his face. He was followed by Captain Yunho who seemed equally drawn and depressed. “Go let the riders know, Commander Yunho,” he urged, giving the newly promoted rider a gentle shove on his shoulder. “They will know soon enough if they don’t already by Andy’s reaction, whatever it is,” he added sadly.

            “He’s alive,” Taekwoon offered softly, stomach clenching when both men turned to look at him. “I had my dragon check and he confirmed Andy lives. Gain is with him now,” he continued with a small bow. He wasn’t sure if he’d overstepped or not but he had had to do something.

            Hyesung offered a rare smile and nodded in approval. “Well done.” Yunho mirrored the action and then stepped out without another word. Then the Dragon Healer focused on Jinki with a pitiable expression. “With Satoru’s condition, you are now the Acting Aerie Master. We will send for Yongguk shortly but until then, you must take his place for the time being.

            “But I’m not-”

            “Yes you are,” Hyesung told him firmly. “You have to be,” he stated, his words fact instead of opinion. “Gather them in the dining hall and tell them what you know. Explain that Eric is dead and Satoru is gravely injured but we don’t know why or from who. Be calm, be sure, and reassure them,” he explained in short firm sentences.

            Jinki nodded quickly, the tension in his body relaxing just a touch with the direct instructions. “Okay. I can… I can do that,” he murmured, looking at Taekwoon with an obvious gnawing uncertainty that he couldn’t.

            “My heart,” he soothed, pressing his forehead to Jinki’s as he tried to offer what support he could. “You were born for this,” he smiled, watching a similar expression blossom across the other man’s face. But his eyes were slightly unfocused and Taekwoon sent a curious touch in Jonghyun’s direction.

            Mate helps.

            Good, he smiled in understanding. “Now go,” he urged, kissing his other half quickly and nudging him towards the door.

            He wasn’t even gone before Hyesung pointed at Chaerin and instructed, “You. Go find a runner. We will need to send a message. Probably several.” She jumped when his attention landed on her but then nodded and fled the room quickly, almost glad to be away from them and the area. “You,” he pointed at Taekwoon with an unreadable expression. “Inside.”

            Confused but not one to argue, Taekwoon glanced over his shoulder at where everyone had been and then followed the Dragon Healer indoors. He was unsure about what Hyesung wanted, especially as he was led to the unconscious and covered body of Master Satoru. He could feel both Hyesung and Mimi’s hesitation and it was considerably more awkward coming from Henry who was still hovering, clearly at a loss as to what he should be doing.

            Mimi took pity on him at least and waved him off. “Henry. Why don’t you go make the rounds of the Aerie and make sure no one needs attention. Himchan is looking after the Healing Hall but you know some people are hesitant to go. Especially during this time of year,” he explained, giving the younger healer all the excuse he needed to bow out.

            “Of course,” he murmured, slightly glassy eyed from the shock of it all, if Taekwoon had to guess. They saw injuries aplenty – the Aerie was full of possible dangers and accidents – but violent deaths like this were uncommon. Moving stiffly, as if his body knew what to do but his mind didn’t, he left the room without a second glance back, leaving Taekwoon alone with the Healers and the weight of their thoughts.

            “You can read runes,” Hyesung stated simply as he leveled his gaze upon the dragonrider expectantly.

            “Hyesung,” Mimi interjected weakly, uncomfortable with the directness his counterpart was using.

            “Now is not the time for discretion around this one,” the Dragon Healer snorted, gesturing meaningfully at Taekwoon. “You can be sure he knows more than he’s told us.” At Taekwoon’s surprised look, he laughed once, the sound dry and unamused. “Gain says little, as do your dragons, but they are eager to move any conversation away from you.”

            Taekwoon didn’t know whether to feel pride or outrage or annoyance first. A brush from Jonghyun let him know his dragon was there and it immediately helped settle him, despite the tone the Dragon Healer had taken. His snooping, or attempting to snoop, didn’t matter in light of more recent events so Taekwoon took his dragon’s support, held tight, and faced the other man head on. “What runes do you need me to read?” he asked directly, catching Hyesung slightly off guard if the mildly surprised reaction was any indication. Both he and Jonghyun shared a moment of smug satisfaction in response.

            It faded just as quickly when the Dragon Healer stepped aside and pulled the covers back to reveal Satoru’s upper body. “These,” he stated simply, pointing out ruined runes on the Aerie Master’s right arm and untouched runes on the left arm.

            Once again, Taekwoon’s stomach knotted and he knew without knowing that these were not good runes. He recognized binding and the others felt… bad. Switching to his dragon sight, he flinched as if struck. Some of the runes were new. He hadn’t seen them in the book and it made him… sick to know that someone was actively creating new ones or had somehow found runes they did not wish to share since the book he had was written.

            “That’s not a good reaction,” Mimi mused, chewing on the inside of his lip as a frown marred his forehead with a deep wrinkle.

            Taekwoon approached Satoru’s body slowly and he pointed out the runes as he moved along the arm. “Binding paired with silence. Geas paired with obedience. Sight…” he trailed off, face pinching in realization that whoever – the High Priest most likely – was behind this could see whatever Satoru saw.

            “And this arm?” Hyesung asked, his tone unchanged though his expression was dark.

            Reluctantly, the dragonrider shifted to see the ruined runes and he winced. “They are the same except this one is control and there is no geas rune.”

            “So he destroyed the runes as an act of defiance and was rewarded with a stronger one?” Mimi whispered in horror, his face pitying and sad.

            “It looks as if that is the case,” Hyesung sighed heavily, arms crossing over his body as he scowled at what they were dealing with.

            Released from the task of reading the runes, Taekwoon was free to actually look at Satoru now. His chest was liberally covered with wraps to keep the bleeding down, though he had bled through at least a little bit. It was likely they were leaving it in place so it would stop before they tried removing it again… “Will he be alright?” he asked quietly into the resultant silence, the words heavy on his tongue.

            Both Healers turned to look at the wan figure they were treating and they shared similar sighs. “He is in Bahamut’s hands now,” Mimi grimaced, fingers picking at each other as he stared. “We’ve done what we can to help him but…”

            “It’s almost a miracle he hasn’t died yet. If Eric did this, like we have reason to believe, the Commander had more than enough skill to make this fatal,” Hyesung scowled, shooting a glance at the covered and laid out body of the deceased nearby.

            “They were friends though. Good friends,” Mimi countered with an automatic negating gesture.

            “I’m not arguing that, but he had runes on his body too.” Hyesung let his gaze slip from Mimi to settle on Taekwoon expectantly for a moment before he looked back at Satoru’s body.

            Almost unable to help himself, Taekwoon strode over to the covered body and reached for the jacket – Eric’s jacket – that was covering the top half of him. “Taekwoon…” Healer Mimi started to say, making the dragonrider look over. His pained expression told him all he needed to know and Taekwoon nodded once in understanding.

            “I need to see,” he explained simply, swallowing hard as he steeled himself for whatever he might see. In his periphery, he saw the Healer nod slowly in acknowledgement and Hyesung shuffled closer, waiting expectantly. When Taekwoon pulled the jacket back, there was nothing left to hide the horror of the wound that had ended Eric’s life and he felt his stomach twist and revolt at the up close and horrid sight.

            Imagine like fresh kill, Jonghyun tried to be helpful, the words sensible but not useful in this situation.

            He is a human! Not just an animal! Taekwoon snapped back, wincing immediately after the words left him. Smarting, he felt his dragon pull back and guilt added to the horror. Jong… he trailed off as he let the jacket fall back into place while he gathered himself to try again. It was true that the Commander was a human but he was also dead, not unlike a… fresh kill. Being offended about the difference now did no one any good and was almost useless outrage.

            Instead, he turned it towards an easier target: the High Priest. He had no guarantee it was Kevin that was behind this but he was more than ready to say it regardless. Fueled by that anger, he clenched his jaw and lifted the jacket once more. The sight had not changed and it was still terrible, but it didn’t hit Taekwoon so hard. This time, it felt more removed, like looking at something through a lens – there but slightly removed. His nostrils flared on the smell of drying blood and he let his dragon half rise to the surface where the creature could react more steadily than himself.

            Together, they looked over the bare chest where two runes were etched, one on either side of his . “Binding paired with control,” he confirmed, anger continuing to fuel his observation.

            “There are some on his back as well,” Hyesung offered over Mimi’s brief but small sound of objection.

            Determined, Taekwoon nodded once and let the jacket fall as he reached to heft the other man up, grunting slightly at the substantial dead weight. He was not a light man and his stiffening lack of life made him heavier still. The dragonrider’s eyes narrowed at the runes of, “Sight and hearing.” Further down and in the middle of his back was one more. “Silence.”

            Hyesung made a thoughtful sound and drew their attention as Taekwoon lowered Eric’s body back to the ground. “So both men were bound to silence and while Satoru has been under a bound geas, Eric could actually be controlled. If that is the case, it is not impossible that whoever set these runes took control of him to attempt to slay Satoru and then had him turn the blade on himself.”

            “If he was being controlled, then why isn’t Satoru dead?” Mimi asked uncertainly, his posture uncomfortable.

            “Because Commander Eric was probably fighting it,” Taekwoon murmured as he stared at the now covered body again. “A chest wound is not a guaranteed kill, especially if you don’t hit the heart. But it’s enough to make it look like death.”

            “The other possibility is that he – or whoever is behind this - wasn’t trying for a definite kill,” Hyesung offered with a wave of his hand and a disgusted twist to his mouth. “That,” he started, gesturing at Eric’s body, “there is no coming back from. This…” he added, gesturing at Satoru’s slowly breathing body as he trailed off, letting them fill in the blanks.

            The really frustrating part about what Hyesung was saying was that both were possible. Taekwoon wanted to believe that Commander Eric had at least put up a fight about it, but he couldn’t deny it would be an equally effective threat or warning, if Satoru survived. He growled in irritation and hit his thigh with his fist, but offered no other words. He had none.

            “As of right now, I believe we should treat this as an attack on the Aerie and not a possible personal feud gone bad,” Hyesung sighed, his eyes tired and dark.

            “The Aerie?” Mimi murmured, shaking his head slightly as if he’d misheard.

            Hyesung nodded with a glance at Taekwoon and a small shrug. “With both heads of the Aerie incapacitated, one way or another, we have lost our guiding leadership.”

            “But what about Jinki and-” Taekwoon automatically tried to defend, rising to his feet.

            “Untried and unprepared stand-ins for this moment,” Hyesung snapped irritably. “It is true that Commander Yunho is more prepared due to his years and combat experience in the field, but Jinki only knows such things in theory,” he explained flatly, stating facts instead of insults.

            “Well, he only needs to fill in for a little while,” Healer Mimi urged, moving his hands in a calming gesture in front of him.

            “If Yongguk is able to be recalled, he will be in a similar position as Yunho. More prepared but neither have had to take on responsibility like Eric or Satoru have. It is entirely likely that was the point, given what we’ve seen so far,” he scowled, shoulders bowing and tone sharp at his own helplessness.

            None of what Hyesung said sat well with Taekwoon. Again, it was largely because he couldn’t deny it being possible. He didn’t know why but… if it really was High Priest Kevin, he couldn’t begin to guess what the man was trying to do. But… he knew who might. Perhaps she had spoken to him in confidence, or not, but as the Dragon Healer had mentioned, now was not the time for discretion. At least not when it came to information. Taekwoon bowed his head and sighed heavily, reaching for his dragon for support or comfort. The space was mostly empty but he was so very glad when a thin tendril of connection pulsed between them. Jonghyun was still hurt but he hadn’t abandoned him. I’m sorry, he apologized sincerely, pushing all the feelings he could at his dragon.

            I know. Still wrong, came the quick reply.

            Taekwoon winced and Hyesung looked at him. “What is it?” he asked, stepping closer to the younger man.

            Reluctantly, the dragonrider let the connection thin again and turned his gaze up to meet the Dragon Healer. “You were right,” he admitted, his lips and shifting in place uncertainly. One arched brow from Hyesung and a confused sound from Mimi later, he went on, “I haven’t told you everything.”

            The Dragon Healer gave Mimi a look that screamed, ‘Told you,’ but held his tongue as his peer made an irritated face in response. “Well. What do you know then?” he asked as he moved his hand in a prompting motion.

            Taekwoon took a breath again and nodded to himself, bottom lip caught between his teeth. “I may know who’s behind this.” Both Healers inhaled sharply, exchanging uncertain looks. “And… Chaerin may know more about what could happen next,” he added, glancing between them quickly. It felt wrong to give her up like that, but if Hyesung was right and if what Jinki had been thinking had a chance of coming to pass, he didn’t have the luxury of being courteous anymore.

            “Well that is interesting,” Hyesung murmured as he brushed his bottom lip with his thumb. “And bigger than us now,” he added with a glance at Mimi.

            The Healer nodded in understanding and took a breath. “Right. I’ll go summon-”

            “No,” Hyesung cut him off quickly, startling both Taekwoon and Mimi. “Take care of Satoru. Move him back to the Healing Hall. Humans are your forte after all. I will summon the leaders to discuss what will happen next,” he murmured, face tight as he glanced at the two bodies in the room: one cold and dead; the other possibly dying. “Taekwoon.”

            “Yes?” he answered with a start, not expecting to be called out by name just then.

            “Go get Chaerin. Make sure she is ready to attend,” Hyesung instructed, turning to nod at Mimi before he straightened his bloody clothes, brushed his disheveled hair back, dusted his stained hands off, and exhaled forcefully as he walked out of the office.

            Taekwoon his lips before he looked at Healer Mimi again. His eyes fell to Satoru’s body and he winced again. “I can get Henry if that would…”

            “Yes. Please,” Mimi agreed automatically, fingers moving to pull at the bindings gently, fretfully. “I should not move him alone and you’re not trained for it,” he added, clinging to what he did know.

            “Of course,” the dragonrider nodded, swallowing once. Now that things were starting to calm down, he could feel the shock of it all beginning to set in.

            “Taekwoon,” Healer Mimi called when he started to head out. The dragonrider paused and looked back expectantly. “I’m sorry I was right,” he sighed, glancing down at the markings on Satoru’s arms meaningfully.

            “Me too,” Taekwoon agreed with a small nod. Before either of them could think of anything else to say, he hurriedly stepped out and gently closed the door behind him, using it as a shield. He was not ready for this. Any of it, and his body trembled at the realization. For a long moment, he remained frozen where he was, unable to move, until the outer door swung open almost too fast and startled him with a blast of cold air. He gasped, feeling the beginnings of fear tickle his belly, before he realized what it was.

            Foolish rider, his dragon chided from outside, looking in with a baleful amber eye that seemed to fill the doorway. It didn’t but it felt that way.

            “Jong…” he almost whimpered, the sound thin and tremulous.

            A warm exhale washed over Taekwoon as his dragon sighed with a roll of his eyes. Then he jerked his head in a universal gesture that, paired with the beckoning feeling within, was impossible to misunderstand. Weak legs propelled Taekwoon to his dragon’s side. He wrapped his arms around the dragon’s neck and pressed himself hard against the warm , feeling the great heart beating against his skin. I am here. Always, he promised as his neck arched so he could press his jaw against Taekwoon’s back, the motion an awkward but welcome embrace.

            Thank you, Taekwoon breathed, grounding himself with his dragon’s scent and heartbeat. Their connection was still there, as always, and Jonghyun offered what strength he could, shoring up his rider’s failing reserves.

            No time for weakness now. Battle has only just begun, he warned sadly, taking a deep breath that pushed Taekwoon out and then brought him close as he exhaled.

            Taekwoon mirrored the action and nodded, closing his eyes tight. You’re right.

            Of course, came the immediate response, honest but also teasing, just a touch. Go now. I get Fei. You get rider. We meet to talk.

            You don’t have to come, Taekwoon murmured, opening his eyes as he reluctantly stepped back, one hand staying in contact.

            I do, his dragon replied instead, shaking his head. Mate not leave your mate. I not leave my mate. Need one to talk for Fei, he added reluctantly, clear disdain in his tone.

            Bahamut save me. What would I do without you? Or Jinki for that matter… he trailed off, looking down with a grimace.

            Don’t know. Rather not find out, Jonghyun quipped, nudging his rider with his nose to get him moving.

            Likewise, Taekwoon agreed with a grimace, though he did start moving. Let me know if anything happens with Fei. I’ll call if I need help too, he explained, already stepping away as he had a new goal in mind.

            Will do, his dragon responded, loudly turning before his footsteps receded, leaving Taekwoon to his thoughts and the curious and worried stares of those residents who had not remained inside, as recommended. Or who hadn’t gone to the general summons that Jinki had made. Or perhaps that was done. It mattered little. They had a new goal now and anything was better than dwelling on what had happened.

            But first… Henry. Then Chaerin. Then Jinki and the rest of the leaders… He was not going to enjoy the next conversation, he knew.