Unknown

The Resistance

This was stupid. Utterly stupid! Jessica knew by now that she was far enough from the bakery that she couldn’t make it back in time for curfew, “I am not following!”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “All you do is complain. If you haven’t noticed, you are following me on your own free will.”

“I am not! You made us pass a part of town that is very dangerous. How can I go back myself?!” Jessica could see the girl ignoring her protests as they continued to walk up the hill, “Are you going to take responsibility if I get kicked out of my home?”

Taeyeon finally stopped to turn and face Jessica, “Do you want me to take responsibility for you?”

For a little bit, Jessica’s insides flipped in some kind of strange excitement from those words, “This is your fault!”

Taeyeon her heels as she gave a boisterous laugh, “If you don’t want to be abandoned here, I suggest you live a little and continue to come with me. It would be worth your while.”

Jessica looked back in the darkness that she assumed was the direction of her bakery and sighed. Did she really have a choice at this point? She saw the unknown in front and behind her. Taeyeon was just as dark and mysterious as the city behind her.

The strange silence that illumed over the two girls cracked with the sound of a train horn, “Was that a train?”

Taeyeon had a sly smile on her face when she turned to grab Jessica’s wrist, “we need to hurry!”

Jessica felt her whole body lunge forward with Taeyeon dragging her. She wanted to resist and pull back but Jessica went this far, what other trouble could she possibly get into at this point? The two girls ran together with a steady jog. Taeyeon was leading the way until the darkness was broken by the light of a train. The lights came up from behind them and Jessica could see Taeyeon’s eyes sparkling with excitement with the metal machinery approaching them.

Taeyeon squeezed Jessica’s hand a bit, “I want you to jump up Jessica when I do. We have to do it together.”

“What!?” Jessica finally realized what the shorter girl had planned, “Taeyeon there is no way I am jumping on a train!”

Taeyeon grinned happily, “this time...you have no choice but to trust me.”

Jessica felt like she was hypnotized by the girl’s smile for that brief moment and when Taeyeon picked up her speed, so did she, and when Taeyeon jumped, Jessica jumped with her. Although the Party supported the idea of togetherness and working as a one productive society, none of felt sincere and tangible; Strangely, this one jump with Taeyeon felt the most real to her.

Taeyeon slid the boxcar door open like it was butter before helping them both inside, “Wait.” Jessica stopped from entering the boxcar so Taeyeon could pull out a light to look around. The boxcar was filled with clothing. She recognized the clothing as standard issue for government workers meaning that this train was going back into the government sector of the city. Maybe take them there in about an hour at the speed the train was traveling. “Looks like we are okay.”

“You are crazy.” Jessica said unamused and catching her breath.

Taeyeon laughed as she sat next to Jessica who was looking out of the train at the city below them, “I may be but...” The girl pointed off into the distance, “...when can you ever get a view like this?”

Jessica sighed in awe as she looked at the lights in the city. She could make out the sections of the city based on civilian and government sectors. The civilian sectors looked much larger than she expected as the homes were illuminated by a dim light produced by fire while the government areas were blocks of lights in taller buildings. Then, unexpectedly, a huge flash of light showed a blast in one of the civilian sectors. Taeyeon stood up abruptly as she examined the huge fire that broke out in the one area from a blast that could make the two girls hear the echoed cries of those that were perishing in the city below.

“Taeyeon what was that?”

Looking up, Jessica could see the terror in Taeyeon’s eyes, “....it is too early...”

Jessica was confused by the girl’s fear, “Taeyeon did you know about this?”

Taeyeon shook her head as if to regain her composure before looking back down at Jessica, “Jessica when the train stops...when the train stops I need you to trust me.”

Jessica observed Taeyeon who was very conflicted, “Why?”

Taeyeon shut her eyes whilst breathing out, “If you want to make it home...alive...you need to trust me.”

Jessica raised her brow, “Are you going to kill me?”

“What?! No! Opposite! What do you think I am?”

Jessica crossed her arms, “I really don’t know who you are or what you want with me.”

Taeyeon sat back down next to Jessica, “Causing harm to you or any innocent person is the last thing I would ever do.”

Although Jessica didn’t know Taeyeon, the sincerity in her eyes and that goofy grin, made her trust the girl. “Com...Taeyeon? Can I ask you something?” The girl looked over at Jessica, “Do you have family?”

The clanking of the train on the tracks made the silence not so awkward as Taeyeon bore into Jessica’s eyes, “No.”

Jessica nodded, “Same. What happened to yours?”

Taeyeon decided not to look at Jessica and focus her eyes on the city that was a blaze, “You see that in the distance. That is what happened.”

“The Resistance?”

Letting out a bitter chuckle Taeyeon went to lay back in the train, “Would you believe me if I said it wasn’t?”

Jessica turned her body to look down at the girl who now had her eyes closed, “They took my family.”

Taeyeon rolled to her side so she could face Jessica, “Would you believe me if I said it wasn’t?” Jessica was going to ask more but the train suddenly halted causing Jessica to fall on top of Taeyeon. The two stunned girls exchanged glances as their bodies pressed together for a second time that night. The warmth made Jessica want to flush against the warmth for comfort but the rational side of her brain said to get off the girl. “Jessica?”

The rational side kicked in with the sound of her name, “S-sorry.”

Taeyeon got up after Jessica removed herself from her body. The girl readjusted her hat to cover her face a bit before scanning the area the train stopped. Knowing the area well, her heart dropped a bit before interlacing hands with Jessica, “Jessica no matter what you hear or what may happen, I need you to keep running with me.” Pushing up her hat a bit to look into Jessica’s eyes, “Promise you will not let go of my hand?”

Jessica looked down at their interlaced hands before nodding in approval.

The area that the train stopped looked to be slightly on the outskirts of the city. Anyone with common sense would know that this area is not for government workers or the regular citizens of the city. The area would be full of bandits that had hideouts and others that would be banished from the city walls for various reasons. It may have looked barren with a few trees here and there, but in certain crevices, there were threats hiding and lurking for a quick buck.

Taeyeon looked down the train track thinking that was the easiest way into the city but it could be the most dangerous option so she looked around for a different way into the city. Thinking she had her identification and Jessica must have hers, the best way would be to aim for one of the gates instead. Although it was past curfew, the explosion could offer a decent distraction to get into the city at this moment. At least that is what Taeyeon was going to bet on since there were no other options.

Taeyeon gripped Jessica’s hand harder before looking her in the eyes, “Never let go.” With those last words, the girls started an all-out sprint to the east gate that was nearest to the tracks. Taeyeon was a bit faster than Jessica so she slowed her pace enough not to lose the girl behind her but she had to be aware of her surroundings in case someone came out from behind a tree or a ditch. However, with their speed, they were drawing near to the gate and there were no problems until her arm jerked backwards causing Taeyeon to fall onto the ground.

“Well well what is this? A pretty government worker and...slave?”

Taeyeon growled as she saw the lanky bandit holding onto Jessica, “Taeyeon!”

“Let her go!”

The bandit grabbed the knife out of his pocket, “Now now slave. You best leave us be or I am forced to use this on you or this pretty face.”

Taeyeon wanted to lunge forward and rip the man’s tongue out but she was stuck at a distance to figure out her plan of action, but the man started retreating with the crying girl, “Wait! Take me!”

The man laughed, “why would I abandon gold to be left with bronze?”

Taeyeon looked around a bit hoping there was a way out of this situation without that knife searing through their flesh, “I will tell Changsung if you don’t release her right now.” She bit her tongue hoping this last attempt would make her release the girl but the man just laughed.

“Really? Do you think I am stupid? What makes you think I will believe...” Just at that instant, another knife appeared but this time on the bandit’s neck.

“If you don’t believe her, then will you believe me?”

Taeyeon looked in awe at the boy who appeared behind the bandit, “Who are you?!” With no other choice, the bandit released Jessica who went flying into Taeyeon for comfort.

The boy leaned in to whisper in the bandit’s ear, “Just a ghost.” With that the boy stabbed the man’s neck to let him die. He looked over at Taeyeon that was coaxing a stunned Jessica, “Why are you on the outside?”

Taeyeon had Jessica’s head in her neck to prevent her from seeing the boy, “It just happened that way.”

“Changsung is calling all of us on the inside. The Party struck again.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I need to get her home safely first. Have Yuri cover for me.”

The boy wiped his knife before putting it in his belt, “I will take you to the door just in case.”

Taeyeon nodded before pulling Jessica away to look the girl in the eyes, “We are safe. I am going to take you home okay?”

Jessica had no words to say as she looked into the brown eyes. Then the familiar hand intertwined with hers once more and the three ran off to the entrance. This time, there were no troubles and the boy vanished after they entered. Once in the safety of the city gates, Taeyeon and Jessica slowed their pace to walk with ease, “Who was he.”

Taeyeon was surprised to hear the girl talk, “No one.”

“But you know him.”

“He doesn’t exist.”

Jessica knew he wasn’t a figment of her imagination but she could hear some venom in the girl’s voice, “What about Changsung? Everyone seems to know him.”

Taeyeon sighed as she led the girl back to her home, “Not someone you need to know. At least not now.”

Jessica swore to herself for making Taeyeon have a sour mood but she had so many questions. The thought of almost getting killed was clouded by the small glimpse into Taeyeon’s life and how one name could bring fear into others.

“We are here.” Jessica looked up to see the bakery, “I have to go.”

“Wait!” Jessica looked down at her hand clutching Taeyeon’s jacket, “T-thanks...for everything.”

Taeyeon let out a weak smile, “Sleep well Jessica.”

Without going into the bakery, Jessica watched as Taeyeon ran off into the direction of the fire. Would it be weird for Jessica to say that she enjoyed her night? Nights with the mysterious girl were always...fun.

-----------------------------------

Jessica wasn’t reprimanded the night before for breaking curfew. The older man knew about the fire and Jessica gave the excuse that she was near the area at the time. If anything, she just got a scold talking to about the dangers of being out late at night. Not so much as a slap on the wrist which made Jessica wonder what happened to the very strict father that Taecyeon told her about.

The bakery was closed for the night and Jessica was in her room trying to sort out a few thoughts when she heard the door creak open, “Taecyeon!”

The man was stunned, “Comrade? You seem very awake.”

Jessica mentally slapped herself for not calling him comrade, “Oh...I was umm just worried about you with the fire and all that happened last night.”

The man smiled with the voice of concern the girl had for him, “It is nothing the Party can’t handle. Soon we will make sure that the Resistance will not do things like that again.”

“Changsung is calling all of us on the inside. The Party struck again.” Jessica remembered the conversation the “ghost” had with Taeyeon and that didn’t match with what Taecyeon was saying, “Are you saying the Resistance is behind this?”

“Who else? It is always them.” The boy said with certainty making her almost disregard the echo of “The Party struck again.”

“Taec—Comrade, can I ask you something?”

The boy leaned on the door frame, “Anything.”

“Do you know who Changsung is? I heard his name spoken recently.”

“Oh my Comrade does my father have you locked in here 24/7? Everyone knows he is the young leader of the Resistance. We have a ‘kill-on-sight’ order for him although we don’t know his looks. Most say he is just a figment and doesn’t exist, but we will find him and take him down. With our spies on the inside, we can find him.”

Jessica was stunned with this new information, “Resistance leader?”

“I will tell Changsung if you don’t release her right now.”

“Changsung is calling all of us...”

There was no way that Taeyeon...that couldn’t be...was Taeyeon related to the Resistance? Jessica shook her head in confusion that made Taecyeon look at her in confusion. How could the girl that promised not to let harm on her or innocents be related to that treasonous group? There is no way...right?

 

 


Author's Note

I appologize for the lack of updates on this story and all my others. I have been on a month long vacation although I have been writing here and there in all my ongoing fictions (just not enough for a chapter update). Also have been working on two one-shots that I will post in my collection soon (A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)) whenever I finish those. Not to mention Soshi is having this epic comeback that I am totally digging!!! Actually a ton of artists I like are having comebacks which is pretty cool (although a major distraction).

Well readers, I must say, I am totally loving the amount of comments that this is getting! I am thirsty for more so please give me your feedback!

This song has been a huge inspiration: