The Good and Bad: Part I

The Resistance

Life in the Resistance was strange for Jessica because life would go on like normal. There was no news of bombings, shootings, or disappearances in the Resistance, instead there was happy news of new members, babies, and marriages. Almost like they were not the freedom fighters risking their lives for survival but finding a safe haven to live while the real war still waged above in the Party. It was strange but Jessica was finding herself already getting used to the peaceful life of having a job, a relationship and a safe shelter. So it was very unusual when the red warning lights started flashing in the office one day.

Hearing the loud beeping and the red flashing, Jessica felt the familiar fear of the Party, “Jessica! Jessica!” Recognizing that Seohyun was calling her, Jessica looked over with frightened eyes, “Jessica follow me! Hurry!”

Abandoning her work station, Jessica rushed over to Seohyun and the other workers as they ran out of Section 6. When they entered the hallway, Jessica saw people from Section 5 and 4 seemingly going in the same direction that Seohyun was guiding her. It was noisy and people were confused but it seemed leaders from each area were able to guide everyone to the lower level.

Going down the metal stairs, Jessica thought about Taeyeon. The girl was somewhere in the Resistance doing her duties but what she feared most was that Taeyeon was not like the rest of the people in the Resistance...most likely she would be not going where ever Jessica was going right now.

“Jessica move it! 2 minutes is all we have!”

Being herded like cattle, the thousands of people that were in the Resistance made their way down...down...and down. So far down that the once very loud beeping became silent and Jessica could only hear the murmuring of the others she was with, “Section 6 to the right! Section 4 straight and Section 5 left! Hurry Hurry!”

Keeping her eyes locked on Seohyun, Jessica followed closely until she entered a special room where she was greeted by Seven, “He isn’t level 6...” Looking around the room, Jessica saw a line of guns and ammunition.

Seven smiled as he clicked the watch he was holding, “Seohyun is this the whole count?”

Seohyun stood straight as she counted everyone in the room, “Sir there are 4 missing due to previous instructions by Won Bin who also is not in this count.”

Seven nodded, “Alright everyone this was our biannual drill for those who haven’t done this with us before. In the case of a real event, the beeping will not be an intermittent sound but a constant. In case of an emergency, you will be guided to here by your section leaders. Won Bin is your section leader but due to another engagement he is absent and Seohyun is your leader for today. Ideally we want everyone here in 10 minutes to arm yourself for safety. On any normal day, these rooms are securely locked but will be unlocked in events like an emergency.”

Jessica was relieved that there was no real emergency so she gradually relaxed and watched Seven grab one of the guns.

“These are all not loaded so you will have to take a gun and then go to the next station with the ammunition.  Your previous training already covered the proper way to load and shoot, however, in one year, the Party will be celebrating its 30th year so we are requiring all Resistance members to do mandatory shooting practice and tactic training on top of normal morning training sessions. We have certain civilians here that are not old enough to fight or are unable to, so it is our duty as healthy individuals to make up for their short comings. In the Resistance we are all one aiming for one goal. Remember that we will win together or fall together!”

Everyone in the room started to cheer with enthusiasm. The passionate freedom fighters Jessica thought was not evident in the Resistance was only hidden. When Seven talked about the unity of the Resistance and the goals of taking down the Party, Jessica saw the members turn into completely different people. She saw how passionate these people were to fight for the Party’s demise.

-----------------------

After the training exercise ended, Jessica had a two hour break period so everyone could rest and relocate after the safety drill. Walking through the hallways, Jessica had no particular place to go and she thought resting in her room would be nosey since everyone was relaxing at this time so Jessica chose to wander around.

As she was enjoying her stroll and lost in her thoughts, she hardly heard someone come up to her until their arm slid around her shoulder and a kiss placed on her cheek, “Where are you going?”

Hearing the sweet voice of her girlfriend, Jessica grinned like an idiot and turned to her, “What are you doing here?”

Taeyeon pointed at the section, “You are in my training area, shouldn’t it be obvious I would be here?”

Jessica blushed out of foolishness, “I umm must have unconsciously went to a place we meet often.”

Moving her hand down to Jessica’s waist, Taeyeon stopped the two from walking so she could look at Jessica, “then I want a proper greeting.” Seeing that Jessica was too bashful to make the first move, Taeyeon reached up to caress Jessica’s face before leaning in and giving her girlfriend a very tender and slow kiss.

“Eww why am I always seeing this before training?”

Jessica immediately broke from the kiss to bury her head in Taeyeon’s shoulder as Taeyeon gave her friend an evil eye, “It seems like you are stalking us Yuri and ruining our alone time.”

“Trust me, I don’t like watching you two be all romantic all the time. If anything I have the worst luck in the world!”

Taeyeon could only shake her head as she continued to hold the embarrassed Jessica in her arms, “Well if you don’t want more of a show, go find your team and get lost.”

“You don’t need to tell me twice and find a more private area. Both level 2 and 3 train here so you are not the only two around here.”

Taeyeon motioned for the girl to get lost, “Ahsh she is always around...” Looking down at Jessica, Taeyeon smiled and caressed her hair, “Your ears are so red.”

Jessica shook her head as she held onto Taeyeon harder, “She is right. We should be more careful...”

“Well there is always my room...”

Jessica immediately retracted out of Taeyeon’s arms, “No no...not that private.”

Taeyeon laughed as she saw her girlfriend with an extremely red face, “alright alright....we won’t kiss in public again and we need to find a place Yuri won’t go.” Reaching out to pull Jessica back into her arms, “Anyway, were you scared today?”

Jessica nodded, “I didn’t know it was a drill.”

“You came right after we had our last one I think so that was your first?”

“Yea...”

“I wanted to tell you earlier...but it is better you learn the hard way so you don’t forget.”

“Where were you during the drill?”

“Me? I was the one pushing the button haha.” Taeyeon laughed as Jessica looked up at her slightly mad.

“You knew everything and even pushed the button! For a second...I thought maybe you...”

“I would be in danger?” Jessica nodded once again, “If there was a real emergency, I would come find you.”

“Don’t you have other duties?”

Taeyeon continued to caress Jessica’s hair, “I do, but I made a promise to myself.”

“What promise?”

Kissing Jessica’s temple, “To not let someone I love die. I would be here to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

Jessica was at a loss for words...sometimes Taeyeon’s sweet and romantic words would fill her with so much happiness that she couldn’t find the right words to express anything back. Only with a soft kiss on Taeyeon’s neck, could she tell the girl that she understands.

Letting go of Jessica, Taeyeon reached down to intertwine their hands, “You are on break right?”

“Yea.”

“How about we find something delicious to eat then?”

Taeyeon was about to walk away but Jessica pulled the girl back, “We can’t...you have training right?”

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders, “They won’t even know I am gone.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “I don’t think you understand how famous you are around here Tae...”

“Oh I do.”

Jessica laughed, “Also doesn’t know how to be modest.”

-----------------------

“Taeyeon dear!”

Taeyeon let go of Jessica’s hand to hug the older lady, “Hello Mrs. Joo.”

“Sit and eat dear.”

“Sure, two noodles.”

Patting Taeyeon on the shoulder, “I will give you two of the usual.”

Jessica looked up in confusion, “I always wanted to ask, but who is she? Isn’t it strange someone older like that is here?”

“She has been here since the Resistance started...you could say she is more famous than me here? She was level 2 and rumored 1 but with her age, she opened this noodle shop.”

“Oh so that is why you two are so close?”

“Of course. She was my mentor’s mentor...she is like family.”

“How come you never took me here before then?”

“I ah...”

The noodles were placed before the two girls, “Here you are girls. Enjoy.”

Taeyeon smiled at the older lady, “We will. Thank you.”

The two girls started digging into the food, “Wow this is really good. Very similar to what Mr. Ok would make me”

Taeyeon nodded as was full of noodles, “That is bec....ah I mean yea...maybe cause they are around the same age? Older people cook better...yea...that must be it.”

Jessica eyed up Taeyeon since she was acting strange, “Anyway, you didn’t answer my question from before.”

Taeyeon raised her brows, “What question?”

“Why this is this the first time, I came here?”

Taeyeon put down her chopsticks, “Because I really like you. You only meet family when you think a relationship is serious right?”

Jessica nearly choked on her food as those words left , “W-what does that mean?”

Reaching out to hold Jessica’s hand, “It means I really like you Jessica...it might even be love...”

“I-I do...too...”

Taeyeon smiled before letting go of Jessica’s hand, “You should eat before it gets cold.”

“Umm Taeyeon I have a question.”

Taeyeon looked up from her noodles, “Sure?”

“It might be personal...you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.”

Taeyeon laughed, “You are my girlfriend...I don’t have anything to hide from you.”

Jessica played with the noodles in her bowl a bit before looking up at Taeyeon, “I noticed when we went to the infirmary together...you had some scars on your back...”

Taeyeon sighed, “So you saw that?”

“You don’t have to...”

“No it is fine...I guess everyone makes a mistake, better to have people learn from what you did wrong right?”

“I-I guess...”

 

 ~3 years ago~

Everything was surreal to Taeyeon as she held onto the single rose in her hand while looking blankly at the memorial. This was a dream right? This rose wasn’t for her fiancé that just passed away right?

“Family and friends, you should always remember the good your comrades have done for the Party. Even though death has become these victims, they have done great deeds for our nation and that will be carried on in the memories of you.”

Taeyeon wanted to let out a bitter laugh. This memorial service was a joke. The Party was the one who killed these people and they are saying these people did ‘great deeds’? What a ing joke...not to mention more than half these people slaugtered were trying to do the opposite.

“Remember the Party will do well for you as you do well for the Party.”

Thankful that was the last sentence of the speech, Taeyeon was about to puke with all the Party crap during a ceremony they caused. But Taeyeon wasn’t at this ceremony to hear to some ty speech, she was here to make sure her fiancé was remembered. She wanted to look these Party zombies in the face and tell them silently that the Resistance members were not afraid to come out and show these people were loved too.

Once her turn came, Taeyeon stood in front of the memorial and placed her rose down, “This isn’t over...” With one last glance at the massive grave, Taeyeon stood up and walked away with more hate and disgust than she first came here with.

-----------------------

“Taeyeon I can’t let you go.”

“Yuri move out of my way. I don’t need your permission to leave.”

“Yes you do! You are still level 6.”

Taeyeon stared up with venomous eyes, “I said move.”

Yuri crossed her arms to hold her ground, “Tell me Taeyeon what are you going to do? Shoot up everyone in the Party? Will that make you feel better?”

“Not like they don’t deserve it?!”

“That won’t bring her back though! Can’t you see that? So what if you kill some of the Party minions? Does that really fix the problem?”

Taeyeon gripped the gun in her hands tighter as she gritted her teeth, “I can’t stay here and pretend nothing happened like you. Someone needs to feel my pain and know what it is like to lose everything.”

“Then find that person Tae...” Yuri reached down and took the gun out of Taeyeon’s hands, “But you need to be careful and do this tactically without weapons.” Taeyeon sighed as the tears once again fell and Yuri was there to pull Taeyeon into her embrace, “I am not pretending nothing has happened either...I know we will find these people and when we do, Taeyeon we will take them down together okay?”

Taeyeon sniffled out a simple, “Ok.”

------------------------------

Almost like breakfast was a chore, Taeyeon brainlessly shoved the food into . She knew she had to do the basics of survival if she wanted to fulfil her goals and avenge her beloved, “Tae...” Yuri took a seat next to Taeyeon, “I have some information.”

Taeyeon looked up shocked at Yuri, “What?”

Looking around the cafeteria, Yuri continued to talk with a low whisper, “I got some intel from a close friend in the Party. He thinks some higher up in the Ministry of Defense was organizing the whole thing.”

Quickly eating her food, Taeyeon stood up, “I will go in.”

Yuri pulled Taeyeon back down, “You can’t. That place is no joke. Even for regular Party members, that area is super restrictive.”

“I have to try! I need to get in.”

“You can’t just walk through the front door! How the hell do you plan on getting in?”

“There is someone that can help. I have an in.”

“Really? Who?”

“Top secret stuff.” Standing up again, Taeyeon patted Yuri on the shoulder, “Thanks.”

Yuri immediately got up, “Wait, you can’t go alone.”

“It is my issue. I will do this alone.”

“No you won’t. Yoona and I are coming too.”

“I can’t put you two in danger.”

Yuri stepped in front of Taeyeon, “We can’t have you be in danger either. You know it is smarter to do this as a group.”

Taeyeon sighed, “Fine. Meet me in the uniform room in an hour.”

Yuri moved, “Alright.”

--------------------------------

The three girls watched the security gate that lead into the Ministry of Defense, hidden in the darkness of night, “When are we---“

Taeyeon held up her hand as she looked at her watch, “Just wait we will be picked up.”

Within a few minutes, a truck pulled up and stopped before a door opened, “Quickly.” Seeing who was in the truck, Yuri and Yoona’s faces brightened into a huge smile.”

Once in the car, the girl continued to drive while Yoona and Yuri watched the driver, “How long has it been? Great to see you again Sunny.”

The shortest girl rolled her eyes, “Here it is Sun-kyu,” She showed the girls her badge.

“Oh...you are doing well for yourself.” Yuri turned to Taeyeon, “So you hid your newbie here? So clever.”

Taeyeon huffed in annoyance, “You need to forget as quickly as you found out. We are not supposed to expose her.”

“No worries buddy, Yoona and I are great at keeping secrets.”

Sunny turned back to the girls, “You better, we all could be killed. Stick close to me the whole time you are in okay?” Arriving at the gate, the guards surrounded the vehicle while Sunny showed her badge, “#99940.” The guards continued to look around the vehicle until they gave a clear sign and the gate was opened.

Carefully, Sunny drove into the facility and stopped in an area with little visibility, “We are going into a back door. I think the information you want to find will be in the Director’s office on the 4th floor. I will get you up there without anyone noticing but the rest is up to you.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Yuri you will pick the lock and Yoona you will help me search the room while Sunny watches the door to warn us if anyone comes.”

“Got it.”

Using her key, Sunny entered the building and had all four of them slip into the stairway. Trying to make as little nose as possible, they moved quickly to the fourth floor but as they were to exit into the hallway, they saw a light passing by. Taeyeon rushed her team close to the wall while she watched the security officer scan the halls.

After waiting a few minutes, Taeyeon noticed him turn the corner, so they continued their journey to the director’s office. Yuri was quick to go to work on the lock to break in to which then Taeyeon and Yoona their lights and dig through the documents. The papers on top were not of much importance but Taeyeon noticed one drawer was locked, “Yuri!”

Yuri rushed over to open the locked drawer, “Hey that is the official seal of the Central office.”

Taeyeon pulled out the paper to look, “Director, our leader has commanded you and Commander Jung to...”

Sunny came in, “We have to go. Finish up.”

Taeyeon took a quick picture of the document and placed it back in the drawer before Yuri relocked it and the three rushed out. Sunny was already running towards the stairway in which Yuri and Yoona quickly followed, but as Yuri reached the stairwell, she noticed Taeyeon was not behind her. Looking back, Taeyeon found a document of interest and took a picture of it quickly, “Tae...come on!”

Finishing the picture taking, Taeyeon rushed out but just as she left, the security spotted her. Knowing that the others couldn’t get caught, Taeyeon slid the camera towards Yuri and gave her the sign to split. Yuri looked back worried at Taeyeon but Taeyeon gave her a calming smile like that although she was going to get caught, everything would be fine.

Seeing that there was no other option, Yuri grabbed the camera and ran off with the other three, just seconds before Taeyeon was brought to her knees and detained by security. 

 

 

 


Author's Note

And Part 2 will be given next week! *author is a tease* 

Guesses on how Taeyeon got her scars 3 years ago? What did she see in the director's office? What happens after she was detained?

Leave comments :)