Familiar Face

The Resistance

Unable to resist, Jessica allowed herself to be pulled into the warehouse with the loud noises completely blinding her from hearing anything Taeyeon was telling her but she did notice one thing and that was, ‘Taeyeon has a nice smile.’

People were crowding the place and dancing to the tune with their hands clapping and feet stomping that it made the floors shake. Jessica didn’t know where Taeyeon was taking her exactly but the girl didn’t resist the soft hands that held onto her firmly. Wherever Taeyeon was taking Jessica, it wasn’t like Jessica wanted to protest anyway. Watching Taeyeon carefully, Jessica followed s they pushed pass people, all the while she wondered why she didn’t find Taeyeon threatening although she was basically a stranger to her.

“Two please!” Taeyeon held up two fingers to the person behind the counter. Jessica watched as the person whispered something into Taeyeon’s ear and then handed them two glasses with some kind of liquid in it, “Here umm Jessica.”

Jessica looked down at the glass wondering if she should take it or run out of this place immediately but she figured out of curtesy, she should at least try the drink. Carefully Jessica smelled the strange liquid that didn’t have a particularly appealing scent, “What is this?”

Taeyeon had already taken a huge sip of the liquid while urging Jessica to quench her thirst, “It may have a bite but it is harmless. I promise.”

Jessica looked down at the glass once more before carefully trying to take a sip of whatever was in that glass however, with one little sip, Jessica winced in disgust, “What is this?”

Taeyeon had a subtle smile as if she was holding in a laugh, “It may not be of high standards but that is moonshine for ya.”

Jessica tried taking another sip but simply couldn’t, “Why drink such an awful thing?”

Taeyeon had already finished her glass which she put back on the counter before getting closer to Jessica and holding the glass back up to Jessica’s lips, “Don’t try to taste it because it will taste like . Just up it and let it slide down.”

Jessica felt the girl’s hot breath on her neck as the girl tried to raise the glass again and for some reason, Jessica didn’t listen to her brain telling her that this was a bad idea and that the taste was not something she wanted to experience again. Instead, Jessica let Taeyeon tip her glass back and have that horrible taste invade until the glass was empty.

Taeyeon stood back with a huge grin, “Now don’t ya feel better?”

Jessica stood wide eyed as she felt her body heat up a bit and her head felt lighter. It was like Jessica was there but she didn’t need to think about what she was going to do next...something that was not normal. Looking back up at the smiling Taeyeon, Jessica saw the girl pointing at the music and people that was still going on in the background. Did Jessica want to join in? Well did she have a choice when Taeyeon had already taken her hand to pull her into a crowd that was already shaking to the beat?

“Dance? Jessica do you know how to dance?” Taeyeon yelled at the girl who was still trying to take in this place. Of course the moonshine’s effects were starting to wear off since she didn’t have much but there was a strange pulling sensation to stay by Taeyeon.

Taeyeon could see that Jessica looked a bit lost and not comfortable with the area they were standing so she tugged Jessica closer to show her what ‘dancing’ was exactly. “Now Jessica dancing isn’t hard. There is music over there and these people over here won’t judge how you react to that music. Just let your body find a rhythm. It is fun I promise.”

Jessica watched as Taeyeon slowly moved to the beat, but as she didn’t move, Taeyeon was there to help her move. The petit hands went to her waist as she moved Jessica’s hips from side to side and then she went to Jessica’s shoulders to let them sway back and forth...before you knew it, Jessica was dancing. Jessica thought these movements were a bit awkward but as everyone else was doing the same thing around her, Jessica became more bold and moved a bit faster and let her body move to the music. Like a proud teacher, Taeyeon’s smile only got brighter as she also hopped to the energetic beat.

“Now this looks like a new face. Taeyeon did you find her?”

Knowing the person beside Taeyeon was talking about her, Jessica finally stopped dancing to look at the woman who was much taller than Taeyeon, “She is just here for the night Yul. Not a new member you can get your claws into.”

Member? Jessica was really curious to how Taeyeon and this girl Yul knew each other, “Well here I thought you caught another stray.”

Taeyeon let out a hearty laugh, “Does she look like a stray to you?”

The taller girl started to eye up Jessica making her feel very uncomfortable, “No. She is clean.” Returning back to talking to Taeyeon, “Converting now?”

Converting? Taeyeon pushed the taller girl away, “Just having fun which you are ruining by the way.”

Jessica really didn’t know what was going on but for some reason she had a deep feeling inside that she needed to get out now. Not even saying a word to the two girls talking, Jessica slipped past the people and went straight to the exit. The night air was very cold compared to the packed warehouse full of heated people. Strangely, it was also very quiet meaning it was past curfew, “.”

Jessica held her sweater tighter around her body to warm up a bit although it didn’t help that much. All she knew was that she had to get home fast and hopefully not be locked out for the night. Breaking curfew on the second night was not good. Why did she even risk going into such a dangerous building so late at night? She had lost so much already and here she was almost giving up what little hope she had left.

“Jessica! Jessica wait!”

Of course Jessica knew who it was. The girl who got her into this situation. Jessica didn’t need to be in anymore trouble so she quickened her pace hoping the other girl would get the hint and give up, but that really didn’t go as planned as the girl grabbed her hand. Jessica tried to resist but the girl managed to get Jessica to face her.

“Why did you just leave? Also how could you walk home alone past curfew?”

Jessica held back some tears as she was scared, “home...I need to go home.”

Taeyeon let go of Jessica’s arm, “Let me take you. It isn’t safe. You know that.”

Jessica eyed up the girl, “How is a kid going to protect me?”

“Yah! I am not a kid!” Taeyeon groaned, “Look I just want to watch out for you. Please let me.”

Jessica thought about how this girl was practically a stranger who might harm her, “No.” With only that flat answer, Jessica started to walk away but not long after, she heard footsteps following hers. Looking back carefully, Jessica was a bit surprised to see Taeyeon walking closely, “Why are you following?”

Taeyeon had her hands in her pockets as she shrugged, “Making sure you are safe.”

“I don’t need it.”

“I need it.”

Jessica stopped to look back at the girl who also stopped walking, “Why? So you know where you and your gang can rob my home?”

Taeyeon was a bit taken back, “What? Gang? I just would feel better tonight knowing that you were not stolen from, beaten or killed!”

“Well I don’t need your concern.”

“Who are you telling me what is and isn’t my business?”

“Because you are bothering me with your business!” Jessica didn’t mean to put so much venom in her voice but the girl wasn’t getting the hint that she didn’t trust her.

“Well we can argue about this all night but I am still going to make sure you are getting home safe. It is cold so I hope you get there soon so I can go back to somewhere warm.” Taeyeon didn’t seem to let the girl’s malicious words faze her as she looked at Jessica calmly.

Jessica eyed up the girl one last time, “Fine. Do what you like.”

Taeyeon smiled in victory as Jessica continued to walk forward. It was a very quiet walk as Jessica didn’t want to talk to the stalker girl but did say some words after the two approached a bakery, “Go home. I don’t need you anymore.”

“But...not until we are at your home.”

Jessica pointed at the bakery, “I am home.”

Taeyeon took her hand out of her pocket to motion the girl to go in, “I will leave after you enter.”

Jessica huffed in annoyance as she tried the door which was locked. Thinking that the front door to the bakery wasn’t the best way to enter, Jessica went to go to the side door where she saw a note, “Jessica be quiet, I lied to father.” Checking the door, Jessica found it unlocked which she slipped in and locked very quietly behind her. However, she almost fell back in fear when she came face-to-face with Taecyeon.

“Comrade where were you? It is past curfew.”

Jessica led Taecyeon to their bedroom and closed the door so she could tell him what happened, “I was going to the university to find you but this girl took me into a building.”

“What? Did she harm you?!” Taecyeon whispered harshly.

“No...well I don’t believe so.”

“Why would she take you into a building?”

“I am not sure.”

Taecyeon looked at Jessica sternly, “She is probably dangerous. You should only be with people you know from the Party.”

“She could be...”

“No...people like me and Hara. You know us.”

Jessica sighed as if Taecyeon was giving her a harsh scolding, “I know. I will in the future. I don’t trust this girl either.”

“She is suspicious. Maybe we should report her...”

“No!” Jessica clasped when she said that a bit louder than expected, “I mean she didn’t do me harm. She just walked me home after.”

“She knows where you live?”

“Although I don’t like her methods and she is a bit strange, I think she had good intentions.”

Taecyeon rubbed his chin, “You should stay with me or father when going out. I will tell father not to let you go buy on your own.”

“Please don’t do that Taec...comrade. I will avoid her if I see her again.”

Taecyeon nodded in agreement, “Very well. We should sleep though.”

Jessica got up to ready for bed, “Sorry for keeping you awake.”

Taecyeon smiled as he climbed into bed, “Don’t take advantage of my kindness when you disobey the Party comrade.”

Jessica couldn’t tell if that last comment was a joke or not but those words were something she told herself for the rest of the night.

----------------------------------

Jessica let out a sigh of relief when she noticed a week went by without seeing Taeyeon. Maybe the girl did get the hint to leave her alone. “Comrade Jung!” With the loud voice of the older man coming from the kitchen, Jessica entered the kitchen to see what he needed, “I need you to urgently to go to the market for butter. We need a pound so take about 50 stamps. If our regular dealer doesn’t have it, you will have to find another okay?”

Jessica nodded, “Yes sir.”

 

Making her way out of the shop, Jessica learned from before that she had to hide her stamps well so she made a strap with a pocket to go on her forearm to hide under her sleeves. She still had her bag but nothing of worth was inside the bag, it was merely to carry the merchandise back to the shop now.

Seeing as the man said it was urgent she get the butter, Jessica decided to take a short cut. Normally she would avoid the area since it wasn’t safe at night but it was the middle of day. It had to be safe if the daylight was shining above her.

Carefully, Jessica slipped into the alleyway that separated government buildings from citizen housing. It was a strange divide in the city as you could tell the difference between being a government worker verses a nongovernment worker. To the left Jessica had several government buildings which were relatively well kept and with bars on the windows. While on the right there were run down huts with no bars and broken windows that were mostly covered with cloth or spare wood. However it was not just the buildings that showed a clear divide. The citizens also dressed much differently and went about their day in a different manner. Right now the government workers were in other buildings in the city so the streets were relatively bare but the citizens had no such places to go to and mostly wandered around trying to sell various items that they most likely make themselves. They looked beaten down and had clothing that was not kept with holes and dirt. At moments like this, Jessica could only think one thing, “The Party is good to me.”

 

Finally making it to the market, Jessica went to her normal dealer, “Comrade I am in need for a pound of butter.”

The woman smiled, “I have only half left comrade. Would you like to take that?”

Jessica bit her lip, “How much?”

“30 stamps.”

“I only have enough for 20 stamps.”

“Because you are a regular customer, I will give you a deal of 25 stamps.”

Jessica smiled victoriously and gave the woman the stamps in return for her butter which was not of the best quality, but she had to do with this for now. After thanking the woman, Jessica had to now search for another dealer because this was not enough for what the older man asked her to bring. Not too familiar with the shopping district, Jessica wandered around for some time but then the unexpected happened.

A huge explosion shook the ground causing Jessica to look back at the market which was up in flames. If she waited around for even a few more minutes, she might have been involved in the bombing too. Jessica covered as the dust started to blow her way. Deciding she shouldn’t stay around the market as it looked dangerous with the bombing, Jessica ran away like all the other people surrounding the market.

As Jessica ran, she realized that she didn’t know exactly where she was so she stopped for a moment to get her bearings back. When Jessica looked around the street she noticed something interesting on the wall near her. Out of curiosity, Jessica walked closer to the pictures before reading, “Wanted for treason against the Party.” Of all the faces on the wall, Jessica recognized one being the tall girl, Yul,  that was talking to Taeyeon in the warehouse. Stepping back in uncertainty, Jessica continued to look at the picture thinking if Taeyeon knew that her friend was part of the Resistance?

 

 

 


Author's Note

Well your author is just doing random updates it seems. I just had some thoughts for this story so you get this chapter hehe!

It is good to see some familiar commentors again! Hope to see some new people soon. Please give me feedback T-T