Paths Cross

The Resistance

Jessica jolted up from her dream to only look around a dark room. Sighing, she laid back down hoping to get a few more minutes of sleep but the girl next to her noticed she was up, “Another nightmare Jessica?”

Turning to her side she nodded, “Yea.”

“I get them too sometimes. What was yours about?”

Jessica laughed, “Yuri stole my pudding again.”

The girl laying on her bed next to Jessica started laughing too, “Do we have pudding here?”

“Hmm no but it is something I would expect her to do.”

The girl smiled, “I would steal your pudding if I saw you had it too.”

Jessica fake gasped at the girl’s playfulness, “You would have to get past me and Yuri for it.”

Giggling the other girl to her back, “No way I would fight a level 2. Guess I can’t eat pudding down here.”

Jessica sighed along with her fellow level six, “Truly a nightmare...thinking of things you can’t have.”

“Maybe, but it could be that it was something you don’t need. Pudding would make us fat.”

“True...” Jessica said as she drifted back into a light slumber.

------------------------------

Seohyun was gathering equipment with V while Jessica read over the assignment, “This area just disappeared?”

Seohyun stopped packing her bag to walk over to Jessica, “You see here,” Seohyun pointed at the map, “there used to be a huge community here but they were not part of Section 11 as we thought before.”

“Is this related to the missing people case we worked last time?”

Seohyun shrugged, “Maybe. We are doing follow-up work to check out this area. Two stories in one trip would be nice.”

Just as Seohyun finished packing her things, a man and a woman showed up at the door, “Level 5 Hyuna and Hyunseung reporting.”

Jessica watched as Seohyun walked over to greet the level 5 members before scooting over to talk to V, “Why is level 5 here?”

“They are coming with.”

“Really? Why?”

“The area is unfamiliar and maybe not safe. Those two are called Troublemaker and are probably the most famous street fighter pair we have. They will guide and help protect us well.”

“But level 6 is trained in fighting too...” Jessica sulked thinking of all the training she did with Taeyeon.

Seohyun returned taking her bag, “Ok let’s go.”

Jessica folded her map and put it into her bag before lagging behind the others. She was a bit hesitant around anyone from level 5 after exams and the strict warning from Taeyeon to be cautious of them. Maybe it was the confident and forthright aura they gave off that made them seem more intimidating than they actually were, but in any case, Jessica didn’t really feel completely safe in their hands.

 

Making their way out of the Resistance, level 5 led the group to an unmarked van. Seohyun and V went in without hesitation but Jessica paused for a minute, “Jessica come on.”

Gulping at the thought of getting into an unknown vehicle scared Jessica but her senior, Seohyun, was giving her the evil eye telling her to get in or else. Thus, Jessica complied and the team was off towards Section 11 again.

The ride there was a bit bumpy as the team used some of the less common roads to avoid Party soldiers and random vehicle checks that they loved to do. Although the sun wasn’t up yet, it was still better to stay away from the main roads.

Driving through the night, Jessica could still hear the lingering cries of people begging and trying to survive outside the Party walls. Maybe the echoings of the desperate was just more clear in the silence of the night.

Once the vehicle stopped, Troublemaker got out first to scout the area before opening the door for level 6 to come out, “We are just outside of Section 11. If we walk north, we should get to the area we are interested in.”

Turning on their flashlights, the group walked north towards the destination they had in mind according to the map. Hyunseung led the group as Hyuna was in the back looking for any sudden movements of attack while level 6 stuck together in the middle, trying to make out any forms of habitation in the dark. Although the examination of the area would become easier once the day breaks and the natural light can show them a clearer view of the area.

“It should be around here,” Hyunseung said as he looked around with the flashlight, “I don’t see a gate though.”

Seohyun stepped forward to look at the map with Hyunseung, “You are right. Should be here. Maybe we should split into groups.” Turning their attention to Jessica, V, and Hyuna, “Jessica go with Hyunseung along the path west while V, Hyuna and I take a look farther north.” Pulling out some equipment from her bag, Seohyun handed everyone a headset, “Signal in if you have something.”

Jessica her headset and heard a faint crackling but tried to ignore the noise as she followed Hyunseung. As she followed along, all Jessica could think about was that this was just a bad idea. She had no idea what they were really looking for and she didn’t like being alone with the street fighter.

The two walked along in silence since Hyunseung wasn’t really a talker and Jessica had nothing to say to the boy but as the two moved farther west, the giant wall that separated the Party and the outside became more apparent, “I didn’t know we were so close to the boarder...” Hyunseung looked at the map once more, “I don’t think this is right.”

As Jessica stood by waiting for Hyunseung to understand the map and where they were supposed to be, the crackling in Jessica’s ear became louder until she thought she heard the sound of voices. Pulling out her earpiece, Jessica looked at it a few times before putting it back in her ear.

“I think we should go back and find the others. Being this close to the Party wall doesn’t make sense.” Hyunseung said as he started to walk back in the direction they originally came from.

Only taking maybe 10 steps away from the wall, a huge explosion rocked behind the wall, causing Jessica and Hyunseung to turn around to see the wall of a building collapse over the wall, crushing it open, “What the hell?” Hyunseung said as he rushed over to the rubble.

Running after Hyunseung, Jessica also looked at the rubble and into the now exposed building on the other side....’Report!’ Jessica heard through her earpiece, “Report?”

Hyunseung looked at Jessica, “what?”

“Didn’t you hear that? Someone said ‘report.’”

Hyunseung shook his head, “I didn’t hear...”

“Alpha! Alpha!”

Hyunseung and Jessica heard it clearly this time coming from the building that was exposed. Reaching for his gun, Hyunseung stepped in front of Jessica, “Stay close.”

However, Jessica wasn’t on alert like Hyunseung because she recognized the voice, “Doesn’t that sound like Yunho?”

Hyunseung looked back, “Level 2?”

Jessica nodded, “building exploding...would mean level 2...Taeyeon might be in danger!” Jessica said as she crawled into the collapsing building.

“Jessica! Don’t go in! It is about to fall!” Hyunseung chased after the frantic girl.

Concerned about her girlfriend, more than her wellbeing, Jessica went into the very unstable building only to be confronted by the barell of a gun, “J-jessica? W-what are you?”

Smiling a bit at Yunho, “Level 5 and 6 were on the other side of the wall you knocked down.”

Looking over at the side of the building and exposed wall, Yunho noticed Hyunseung waiting with his gun up, “Stand down.” Hyunseung looked at the man a few more times before putting his gun away, “Look, Alpha team was inside when it went off...”

Tears nearly flowed as Jessica asked, “I-is Tae...”

Yunho nodded, “Come on. We need to search quickly.”

Jessica, Yunho, Hyunseung and one of the other level 2 men were searching the building diligently but most of the search was met with smoke and debris blocking certain areas. Jessica was soon filled with dust and bloody fingers from clearing rubble to get into doors and such, but she was desperate. She needed to see if Taeyeon was alright. Or even the worst....if something did happen to Taeyeon...it was better she know now than forever wonder what happened after that blast went off with no body to be found.

“Help!”

Yunho and Jessica heard Hyunseung calling from down the hall so they ran over to see Hyunseung trying to remove a huge section of the upper floor blocking the door, “What is it?”

“I hear a banging from behind...we need to remove this.” Hyunseung huffed as he tried to push the giant slab of flooring out of the way. Yunho, muscular man and Jessica joined in on trying to push the slab but it wouldn’t budge, “Why does this weigh a ton?”

Taking a break, the men and Jessica looked at the slab trying to think of a way to move it, “Lets break it.”

Yunho pulled out his gun and signaled the group to stand behind as he took careful shots into the slab away from the door. Seeing the slab crack into two, the men used a pipe to hit and break the slab completely into three pieces.  Working fast, the men moved the slate away enough to open the door a bit to look inside, “Alpha respond?”

Hyunseung joined Yunho and flashed his light inside the dark room to see two figures on the floor, “Are you ok?”

“Junho is unconscious and I am stuck.” Taeyeon said faintly.

Hearing Taeyeon’s voice, Jessica nearly pushed the men out of the way to see her, “Tae!”

Taeyeon was completely surprised to hear Jessica’s voice on the other side of the door, “Sica?”

“Yes. Don’t worry, we almost have the door completely open.” Jessica said to calm her girlfriend down because she heard a few sniffles, “Wait for me.”

Taeyeon didn’t care that tears were streaming down her face with the thought of her girlfriend being there for her, “Always...”

With all the time spend trying to free the door, Seohyun, V and Hyuna joined the others to help out and they brought the van over to tie the largest section to a rope attached to the van to pull it out. With the last piece removed, everyone rushed into the room. Junho was the first to be taken out and into the van while Jessica held onto Taeyeon’s hand while Yunho, Hyunseung and V removed the bookshelf on Taeyeon’s legs, however, as the shelf was removed, Taeyeon immediately lost consciousness. Yunho carried Taeyeon to the car, “Go ahead. Party soilders are on the way. They don’t know there is a hole here so you should be safe to go.”

“What about you?” Jessica questioned.

“Distraction.” Yunho smiled as he ran back into the building with the remaining non-injured team member.

“Jessica we have to get going now!” Seohyun screamed.

When Yunho left her sight, Jessica quickly entered the van as they made their way back to the Resistance.

 

 

 


Author's Note

Ah I wanted to get this out faster since it was Jessica Jung's birthday! Happy Birthday princess!!! Better a little late than never right?