The Resistance

The Resistance

It had been nearly 10 days since the incident in the civilian sector and Jessica hadn’t seen Taeyeon since. However, in the 10 days that she hadn’t seen the mysterious girl, something strange was happening. Jessica was having strange thoughts. In the past, Jessica never questioned her role in the society and never once felt confined but in recent days, Jessica was questioning things. She found out that the life in the bakery was not how she pictured her future. She still had thoughts of going to join Taecyeon on the front lines or taking over her father’s position, however it was never her father or Taecyeon next to her, it was Taeyeon. Most times, she would have these thoughts as she rolled out dough or had down time in the bakery. It was strange. It was treasonous. Yet Jessica kept imagining it.

“Young Miss!” Jessica always found it strange how the older man never called her comrade like his son, but it was common occurrence now that she thought nothing of it now.

Jessica broke from her thoughts as the old man came barreling into the shop, “Oh you are back.”

“We have hit the mother-load!”

Jessica looked up to see the man holding a letter, “What is it? From the Party?”

“Yes! Since the attacks in market recently, the Party is sending two workers over here to help us provide bread for the whole government sector. We also will get a special shipment in of our ingredients. We don’t even need to pay for that. All that is stated is how much we are to produce and the payment is almost double what we normally earn.”

Jessica was astonished, “What about the nongovernment people that buy our breads?”

The old man scratched his chin, “I don’t think we will have the time to serve them.”

A strange pit formed in Jessica’s stomach, “Don’t you think they need the bread more than the Party workers?”

There were few times when Jessica would see the stern look on the old man’s face, “It is orders.” She knew, “The new workers are coming tomorrow. I would like for you to help them get accustomed to our bakery.”

Jessica nodded. What right did she have to disobey the orders given by the Party. They were still the rulers of this land and were again giving her a good life.

 

The next day, Jessica was alert for a knock that would come on the bakery door which came at 4am promptly. Those Party workers were notorious for being on time. Jessica leaned her broom on the counter as she wiped her hands on her apron before unlatching the door to greet the two workers, “Morning com—rade...” Jessica’s heart stopped when she saw who happened to be at the door.

The two boys walked through the door, “Morning comrade!”

Jessica looked at the boys in astonishment, “I—I will get the boss.” Leaving the two new workers at the door, Jessica slipped in to the back wondering many things. One thing was certain, she never once thought she would meet the ghost ever again. Yet it made her hopeful. He knew where Taeyeon would be. She had to talk to him alone. Once in the back, she found the old man doing what he did every morning, “Sir the Party workers are here.”

The man put down the dough he was kneading, “Good.” Walking alongside the old man, Jessica made her way back to the boys, “Welcome. I am Mr. Ok and this is Jessica. Young Miss will show you how we do our daily activities.”

The boys smiled, “I am Sang Hyun.”

Jessica looked over to the ghost curiously awaiting his name, “I am Lee Joon.” Lee Joon...the ghost has a name, but again, why is he here?

“Alright boys, follow her instructions.” Jessica looked at the man pointing at her. Of course she had to work. Finding out why Lee Joon was here, could always happen later.

 

As the day went on, the two boys worked hard. According to the old man, the boys were trained bakers for the government so the trade was not new to them. She could see it in their skills but she was still cautious of Lee Joon. Her eyes were always on him as the day went on. However, now that they were baking bread for the government, Jessica had a new task of putting the bread in bags and boxing them up. No more interactions with the regular customers, no more collecting food stamps, and no more outings to get ingredients. Why did she suddenly feel like she was again in a prison...well a very good smelling prison.

--------------------------------

It took Jessica a week to get the courage to follow Lee Joon after work. She saw the perfect opportunity as the old man instructed her to help bring the boxes of bread to the government sector since the one boy had to leave early. That meant it was only her and Lee Joon for the ride in the truck and then she could trail the boy when they finished. It was really a rare opportunity.

“Comrade are you ready to go?”

Jessica looked over at Lee Joon, “Yes. Are the boxes packed?”

“Everything is prepared.” Jessica nodded and followed the boy to the truck. They both got in and started their silent ride into the government sector. Lee Joon would show his badge every once in a while and the boxes would get opened the closer they got to the government sector. Security was always strict, especially for any kind of truck.

Once at the food bank, Lee Joon got out of the truck first followed by Jessica, “I will call for help with the boxes.”

Jessica stopped the boy, “I think it will be fine. These aren’t very heavy.” Jessica demonstrated when she picked up the box with ease. She had to admit that kneading dough and hauling flour for months really built up her strength. No wonder Taecyeon was so strong.

The boy acknowledged Jessica’s skills so he started to assist her in unloading the boxes. It was an easy task and the two were finished quickly. Since the truck was government property, Jessica was to walk home and the truck was to be taken by Lee Joon back to wherever Lee Joon stores the truck. “Comrade did you want a ride back to the gates?”

“I don’t want to make you go out of your way.”

“No worries. The truck lot is close to the gates.”

Jessica smiled when she found out she could trail the boy after getting dropped off, “Thank you comrade.”

Once again the two were in the truck together as the boy took her to the gates. Once she was dropped off, Jessica started her trailing of the boy. She noticed the truck lot when they passed it so the first thing she did was make her way over there. It didn’t take long for her to spot Lee Joon but something was different. The boy was now hauling a backpack that he didn’t have on him before.

Lee Joon made his way out of the lot and walked out the gates. Jessica should have guessed that since she knew that he most likely was not a government worker. If he really was a government worker, he would have stayed in the government sector to go home. Jessica followed the boy out but she lost him for a minute. She looked around frantically but there was no one in a government uniform.

Then she saw a boy similar to his height in a black hoodie. As the boy turned she noticed it was him. She was back on his trail. Not noticing if she was treading in a bad neighborhood or not, Jessica continued to follow Lee Joon. He never used the main roads and stuck to mostly alleyways and side streets. She was always jogging to catch up to his fast walking but she was never too far away from him that she could tell which street he was going to take next.

It must have been 30 minutes of trailing did Jessica notice that she was in a very unfamiliar section. She started to wonder if she could find her way back to the bakery now. Suddenly this trailing thing was not a good idea at all.

Finally, Lee Joon stopped at what looked like an abandoned building. The boy looked around before knocking twice and then three times. This caused the door to open and the boy slipped in. Jessica looked at the building curiously, “What could be in there?” Jessica was so caught up in looking at the exterior of the building that she didn’t notice someone come from behind her. The person covered Jessica’s mouth as they pulled her back from possibly running away and screaming.

“What are you doing here?”

Jessica’s eyes widened in shock from the familiar voice. Since she knew that she wasn’t in danger and the person knew Jessica wasn’t going to scream, the hand was removed from , “Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon gave her a weak smile, “We can’t talk here. Come with me.”

Jessica took Taeyeon’s hand smiling...she was happy that she found the girl.

 

The two made their way back to a street that was familiar to Jessica. Actually very familiar since this was near her old school, “Jessica what were you doing there?”

Jessica broke from reminiscing from her school memories, “W—what?”

Taeyeon looked irritated, “That building. Why were you there?”

“I ah...just happened to find it when following Lee Joon.”

Taeyeon’s eyes widened, “How did you...why do you know Lee Joon?”

“He works at the bakery with me now.”

Taeyeon looked down as she thought, “I get it. You recognized him and started following him? Why?”

“I wanted to find you.”

Taeyeon looked up in shock, “Me?”

“You always found me...before. Where have you been?”

Taeyeon really did look irritated and frustrated, “Busy. Things are...not good.” Jessica saw as Taeyeon looked up into her eyes, “You shouldn’t have come looking. Especially not there. If you weren’t with me, you could be killed.”

“What do you mean if I weren’t with you?”

“Jessica you didn’t even know...but you were seconds away from dying.”

“W—what?”

“I was on my way to that building and well...it is hard to explain but someone I know was trailing you. I noticed and interjected before they took your life.” Taeyeon’s voice cracked, “You can’t die because of me. Don’t be careless. Don’t find me unless I look for you. You got it?”

“You look for me?”

Taeyeon ruffled her hair, “T—that’s not what I mean. Just don’t go looking for me okay?”

Jessica looked at the girl in curiosity, “were the times we ‘ran into’ each other not a coincidence?”

Taeyeon was panicked, “I—I ah...”

Jessica saw the girl at a loss for words, “Taeyeon. I know you are hiding many things from me. I get that you can’t tell me things, but what can I do to get to know you better?”

Taeyeon looked up at the girl who was saying some pretty bold things, “You can’t be close to me.”

“What if I want to be?”

“Then you would have to abandon everything. Your home, the people you love, and the Party.”

“What if I have no one I longer love, what if I don’t have a place to call home, and what if I don’t trust the Party?”

Taeyeon was shocked, “Don’t say things like that. You are still of the Party.”

Jessica sighed in frustration, “I don’t know. I hear you say one thing and then I hear Taecyeon say another. I want the truth.”

Taeyeon smiled, “The truth? Why would you question that now? To government workers like you, the Party is the truth.”

“Why do you say things as if I still work for the government? Why do you assume things are the same as before I met you?”

Taeyeon was shocked, “Before you met me?”

“You, Yuri and Lee Joon. All of you. Who are you? Who are you to make me question everything I once knew about the Party? Why do all of you make me think that I can’t trust anyone. I can’t even trust the things Taecyeon tells me and he was my best friend for years. I have only known you for months...yet since you came, everything else in my life feels like a lie.”

Taeyeon leaned down as she saw Jessica kneel down in tears. “Jessica I can show you the truth but that would mean you could be in danger. Every day you would be looking around wondering if that person next to me will turn me in. Living in constant fear...is that the kind of price you want to pay for the truth? Is the truth valuable enough for you to risk your life?”

Jessica wiped away her tears to look Taeyeon in the eyes, “I never had a life of my own, for the truth I am willing to sacrifice this empty shell of a body I am in. I have nothing to lose.”

Taeyeon smiled, “Welcome to the Resistance.”

 

 


Author's Note

Action to come. Just a transition chapter so a bit shorter. Although it seems like not much happened, I think there was a lot to take in here.

Please comment! I love hearing your thoughts.