What is Missing: Part I

The Resistance

“Okay trainees partner up with someone you haven’t practiced with before. Those that are new, try to keep up with your mentor.”

Jessica looked up at Taeyeon who was (ily) arching her back as she pulled her hair up, “Are you ready?” Nodding, Jessica stood there frozen causing Taeyeon to smile which always calmed her nerves, “Okay there are several defensive maneuvers that the group has been practicing. I will show on you and then you mimic me okay?” Once again Jessica nodded in compliance, “Alright, I want you to pretend you are attacking with a knife. Just like you were to stab me in the stomach.”

Jessica thought about it, trying to kill Taeyeon was not something she would ever think of doing but for the sake of learning, Jessica balled her fist and surged her hand forward. Taeyeon was quick to grab her wrist and turn Jessica’s arm up and twisted it. Their bodies grew close and Taeyeon was whispering in her ear, “You see, you twist the arm so the attacker will drop the knife and you can get away.” Taeyeon quickly released Jessica, “Alright. I will show you one more time and you can try on me okay?”

Jessica was rubbing her wrist a bit since it did hurt a bit, but she knew Taeyeon was being careful not to seriously injure her. Once again, Jessica balled her fist and went to attack Taeyeon in which Taeyeon did the same action, “It is just a grab and twist. Very easy.”

The close proximity of their bodies made Jessica heat up a bit but she had to shake it off for the sake of learning, “I get it.”

“Good. Now I will pretend to attack you.” Taeyeon took her stance and pretended to stab Jessica. With her first time trying out this action, Jessica was less fluid, but she managed to twist the wrist correctly, “Ah Jessica release!”

Jessica realized that she might have twisted a bit too much, “Are you okay?”

Taeyeon rubbed her wrist a bit, “No biggie. Just don’t use all your strength next time. It is only practice.”

Jessica bit her lip as she saw the red mark on Taeyeon’s wrist, “A-are you okay?”

“Of course I am,” Taeyeon smiled, “How about we try that again and I will teach you another move?”

Jessica was still looking down at the wrist trying to shake away the fact that she might have hurt Taeyeon, but she knew she had practice to do. Taeyeon practiced attacking and Jessica defending a few more times until Taeyeon showed Jessica two more defensive techniques. That was until the instructor stopped the group so he could show a new move, but this one was for attack and quick take down of opponent.

“I know that we teach mostly defensive moves but there will be times when you can’t evade and will have to defend yourself with an attack. When attacking, you want to do fast and effective damage to your opponent. The two most obvious ways would be to try to break the nose buy palming up into their nose. If you have a male attacker, then a blow in the groin is also not a bad option. Both are simple and effective. Another way to attack is using your elbow in key places of the body. In this drill your attacker comes from behind and grabs you,” The instructor takes his partner from behind, “Now what we are going to practice is a three step action which you should do almost simultaneously. First is to stomp on the toes, then elbow into the lower side, here, of the ribs and finally follow up with your elbow into their chin. Do it slowly with your partner for a while until you get to the point where you can move all three in less than 3 seconds.”

Taeyeon faced Jessica with a very wide smile, “So do you want to attack or be the attacker?”

“I-I will t-try attacking...” Jessica was having a hard time comprehending the situation because this meant some very close contact with Taeyeon. Whenever the two shared skinship or were close, Jessica couldn’t help but feel a bit nervous. It wasn’t like she was afraid of the girl, but something else.

“Okay...” Taeyeon whispered as she went behind Jessica to engulf her in something similar to a back hug. She felt how slender Jessica’s waist was as her body pressed onto the warmth of Jessica’s back. She recognized the scent of Jessica’s hair being that most of the people used the same shampoo but there was a unique floral scent that she found unique to the girl. No doubt her face was flushed as she tried to watch over Jessica’s shoulder to make sure the girl was doing well, however, the girl didn’t move, “Jessica? Did you need me to show you?”

When Taeyeon engulfed her from the back, Jessica felt her body freeze. Indeed the compromising position, made Jessica’s mind blank out until she heard the calming voice of the other girl, “N-no. It is...it is foot,” Jessica pretended to stomp on Taeyeon’s foot, “then elbow to ribs,” She took her elbow to gently tap the girl’s side, “Finally chin,” Jessica tried hitting Taeyeon’s chin as the other pretended to receive a huge blow and went back in a slow motion effect causing Jessica to giggle at Taeyeon’s goofy actions.

“I have been hit!”

Jessica was almost on the ground laughing at Taeyeon pretending to be dead, “Come on. We are still in training.”

Taeyeon opened her eyes and smiled, “Do you want to have a go again? Try to go faster.”

Jessica held out her hand to help Taeyeon up, “Alright.”

As the two continued practicing, Jessica was able to focus more on the lesson than the fact that it was Taeyeon always grabbing her waist or whispering in her ear. Jessica also found out that Taeyeon was very playful in training, making her forget that these were things that they were learning because there would be times when the situations they would get into were dangerous. Or the fact that Taeyeon knew these lessons well because she might have had to use them before. Yet, right now, Jessica was having fun...maybe in years, this was her first time really enjoying life.

When the training ended, Taeyeon came over to Jessica, who was sitting against the wall, with a cup of water, “here. You practiced hard.”

Jessica scoffed before taking the water, “You didn’t even break a sweat like me.”

Taeyeon slid down the wall to sit next to Jessica, “You will get used to it. Training every day...it won’t be so hard after a while. Soon your body will become stronger, reflexes faster, and you will have amazing endurance.”

“Everyone in the Resistance is this fit?”

“For the most part. We try to be ready for anything. Remember, on the outside we are looked at as the enemy. People usually will try anything to take down the person they hate the most.”

Jessica gulped as she felt the crippling hatred she has for the Resistance after killing her family, “I understand it well.”

“Taeyeon!” A boy came running into the training room, “Taeyeon Yunho is looking for you. There is an urgent report.”

Taeyeon quickly stood up, “Sorry Jessica I have to go. Umm your done for today. Remember to eat and get to bed early. You will be doing the same thing tomorrow.”

Jessica looked up at Taeyeon, “Am I going to see you at supper?”

Taeyeon bit her lip, “Sorry Jessica...not today.” Looking down in disappointment, Jessica bit her lips. Taeyeon saw that Jessica had caught on that she was going into the field tonight so she bent down and looked Jessica in the eyes, “Jessica I will be back sometime tomorrow, I promise okay?”

Jessica wanted to believe what Taeyeon was telling her, but she had a gut feeling that what Taeyeon was going to do, was going to put her in danger. After today, Jessica realized that the thought of not having Taeyeon around while she was here, was a scary thing. She needed Taeyeon.

“Okay...”

----------------------------------

The promise was broken for two days straight. For those two days, Taeyeon had not returned, Jessica went through her days lifelessly but she still did her lessons and training as if no one could see that she was having an inner turmoil, “Jessica she will come back.”

Looking up from her breakfast, Jessica looked into Yuri’s eyes, “This will be the third day...”

“It happens like this sometimes. Several days out in the field is normal.”

“You aren’t worried when she just leaves for period of times?”

“Of course I worry. We have been friends for many years and roomies for several more years, but in that time I saw Taeyeon leave without notice for days to weeks at a crack.”

“You never thought of what if she never came back? Just disappeared?”

Yuri leaned forward, “Look Jessica, we have people above ground listening and tracking things. If for some reason Taeyeon got hurt, captured or even died, word would have gotten to the other level twos like me. I think it is good we haven’t heard a thing from her group.”

Jessica bit her spoon as she thought about it, “I get it...just tell me...tell me if you hear anything?”

Yuri saw that she didn’t really get rid of Jessica’s worries, “Hey Jessica did you want to skip lessons today?”

“What? I can’t skip lessons.”

“I will cover for you. I want to take you on a little fieldtrip. More valuable than anything else you could learn in that classroom.”

“Where to?”

“Above ground of course.”

“But I don’t have the proper permission for that yet.”

“Ah don’t worry about that. You will be with me. So what do you say?”

“I-I am not sure.”

“Don’t be a wimp! Just come with me. It will be an enlightening experience I promise.”

Jessica took a sip of her drink before putting it down to look at Yuri who was leaning forward in anticipation, “Fine, but this better not get me in trouble.”

“Nosense! Ji-Hoon and I are buds. He will understand.” Yuri stood up, “come on, we need to get you in some civilian clothes.”

Jessica still was concerned about going back up but she followed Yuri anyways. She was always a curious girl so it shouldn’t be too big of a surprise that she finally agreed.

The two made their way through some doors into an area restricted from people like Jessica, “Now you really are not supposed to be in here but it will be our little secret for today. Also, really don’t tell Taeyeon, she might murder me.” Yuri opened the door to what was a bedroom...not just any bedroom, but the one Taeyeon and Yuri shared with their roommates.

Jessica found herself get drawn into the sanctity that could hold the secrets of Taeyeon’s life, “So this is your room?”

Yuri was in the dresser looking for clothes, “Yep.”

Jessica looked around the room that had very minimal decoration but she did notice the bed in the corner seemed to be Taeyeon’s space. It was like her feet unconsciously wanted her to go over to that area of the room, so Jessica walked over to the bed that would usually have a sleeping Taeyeon at night...the poor lonely bed for the past two nights. While, Jessica was over in Taeyeon’s sleeping area, she saw a picture. Not just any picture but Taeyeon with another girl, “that looks like our training uniforms...”

“Found it!” Jessica got startled when Yuri’s voice echoed in the room, “you are a bit shorter than me but I managed to keep some pants when I was younger. Try these on.”

Jessica took the clothes Yuri handed to her, “You want me to change here?”

Yuri was already starting to undress, “Yea? Problem?”

Jessica blushed in embarrassment after seeing Yuri’s toned abs, “N-no.”

“Then change.” Yuri said indifferently.

Jessica sighed before turning her back to Yuri and quickly changing into the civilian clothes. It had been a while since she wore such nice clothes, “Yuri these look like something I would have in the government sector.”

“That is because we are going there.”

“What?! We can’t go there! It is forbidden...especially for us.”

Yuri laughed, “Taeyeon never told you about my job did she?”

Jessica shook her head ‘no.’

“Well...in any case, you can assume level two and three have free access to that section. Oh and level 6 does too. That is a special section in the Resistance anyway.”

Jessica remembered Taeyeon mentioning something about level 6, “What is level 6?”

Yuri grabbed a few things to put in a bag, “Humm...you will find out. Alright, we should go.”

Jessica was a bit annoyed that Yuri always makes her question more things than actually answering questions but she figured the only way to find answers was to wait. The answers would come eventually.

The two were about to exit the room when the door opened with another girl staring back at them, “Oh, you are back.”

The girl smiled at Yuri but frowned when she caught sight of Jessica, “Who is that?”

Yuri looked back at Jessica, “Oh...she is new. Taeyeon brought her in.”

“Why is she in a restricted area?”

“Can’t you just pretend you didn’t see anything?” Yuri begged the girl.

Sighing, the girl walked up to Jessica, “Name?”

“J-Jessica.”

Sticking out her hand, “Im Yoona.”

Jessica went to shake her hand, “Nice to meet you.”

Yuri started to pull Jessica away, “Great you made introductions, now let’s go before we get caught by the other roommate.”

Jessica looked at Yuri in surprise, “That was your roommate?”

“Oh yea. She came back...umm just now I guess from her mission. If she is back, you will see much more of her around.”

Jessica looked back in surprise, “She is pretty.”

Yuri laughed, “Pretty but she has a stick in her . Taeyeon says she is nice and playful but I swear that girl is insane. Yoona is super strict about most things.”

“I could see that.”

“But don’t you worry! She is loyal as hell so she wouldn’t do anything to hurt you now that she knows you were brought here by Taeyeon.”

“I see...”

Jessica and Yuri made their way through the underground compound and left the place the same way Taeyeon had brought Jessica in the first time. It was a strange feeling that Taeyeon was the one who was always by her side but this time it was Yuri. Yuri was trained and most likely more than capable of taking care of Jessica, but it wasn’t the same...she didn’t feel the same security as when Taeyeon was around.

“Take this.”

Jessica looked at the badge she was given, “Wow...so this is how you get in.”

Yuri flashed a smile, “Told you it was easy.”

Jessica clipped on her badge while the two made their way towards the gates of the government sector, “Don’t talk. I will answer any questions okay?” Jessica nodded in approval.

“Comrades state your purpose.”

Yuri gave the soldier a shy smile, “We have the lists of towns to be eradicated.”

The soldier took the piece of paper to observe the seal, “Alright. You may head in.”

Once at a safe distance from the soldiers, Jessica spoke, “I can’t believe it can be as easy as a piece of paper and useless badge.”

“It is. We change it up to why we are getting in with that paper. The soldiers are only trained to look at the seal and not what is written.”

Jessica took a closer look at the paper before laughing, “This is a list of fictional characters.”

“Yea well, what you learn in children’s books can be helpful. Actually, only those who are born in the government sector would recognize these names. Are you originally?”

“Yuri where are we going? This is a dead end.” Jessica interrupted quickly.

Yuri looked ahead, “Oh we are here.” Jessica didn’t see anything until Yuri went over to clear some brush away to reveal a metal door on the ground, “Sounds strange but we are going underground again.”

Jessica looked down at the dark hole, “What is down there?”

Yuri pulled out a big flashlight, “How about we go down there and find out?”

It really didn’t look safe at all but Jessica came this far following Yuri, “You are going first with that flashlight.”

Yuri smirked, “You won’t regret this.”

 

 

 

 


Author's Note

Well since Taeyeon is MIA, why not go on an adventure with Yuri??? I guess you are all dissapointed by the mysterious roommate...ummm don't kill the author because she totally gave you some Taengisc fluff (before making Tae dissapear)! That has to be worth something and now you get lots of YulSic in the next chapter. 

I decided on the next chapter to reveal something super important about Tae's past (still not sure if I should tell you something this important so early in the story) so subscribe if you want to find out!