Unknown

The Resistance

Taeyeon goes down a series of hallways and entered the last room down the hall without knocking, “Tell me what is going on.”

The man was sitting in a chair reading a book when he heard the intrusion, “I assumed it was a practice drill.”

Marching right up to the man, Taeyeon thought of throwing his book to the side to show him how serious she was, “You know what I mean. The operatives. Why are they coming back? Don’t lie to me like you did to Yuri.”

Carefully the man set aside his book, “They were all in danger.”

“In danger of what? Did someone give out names? Hell I don’t even know everyone undercover in the Party. Who would have the list of names of everyone in the Department of Defense and Security that worked for the Resistance?”

“We don’t. The way the system is set up is that there are teams and not every team knows what the other team is doing. That is the safety protocol so if one team gets captured they can’t be sure of who else is spying on the Party. I…” The man looked around the room for a second, “I gave you those names for a reason. Someone is feeding the Party with information that is within the Resistance.”

“Why would you think someone so low in the Resistance hierarchy like Won Bin could be capable of identifying all undercover agents?”

“We don’t think it is him. That is the problem. We are in the dark Taeyeon. He might bring us to the real mastermind. I dare to say that it could even be a Level 1 that has betrayed us.”

Taeyeon brushed her fingers through her hair and sighed, “How did the Party get an upper hand like this? We were so careful.”

“It is war my dear. Not everything is about guns and killing people. Politics works like chess. Who can distract the other player with their pawns before the real knight comes out and takes the king?”

“What are we going to do?”

“First step has been taken. We make sure everyone is safe and then we find the root of the problem. Taeyeon I know you are injured but you are still an asset. Since I took you in to the Resistance, you shook hands with nearly every member. Has anyone acted different recently or have you noticed a prolong absence without reason? Those are the things that are important.”

Taeyeon looked down at her leg that was her steel cage locking her into this bunker, “I want to be an asset in another way. I don’t want to play the mind games anymore. We played that game and lost.”

The man finally stood up and approached Taeyeon. Calmly, he put his hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder, “or maybe the cards were shown too early. Although many operatives returned, we have more. The important players are still out in the field working for the Resistance. When the time comes, we will stop this chess game ourselves. Trust in your team Taeyeon. I know you like being the leader even if you don’t want to admit it, but just take one step back and remember that there are people to assist you in your mission.”

Biting her bottom lip, Taeyeon hated when the man was right, “fine.”

Stepping back the man laughed, “although you are not my real daughter, you sure act like her at times. I am glad I raised two head-strong women. Don’t lose your bite Taeyeon, but don’t go out there acting like a rabid dog.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I know. I will be careful, but it just feels like…like we are losing. This is the first time where I thought the Party might finally have gotten the upper-hand.”

“I won’t let that happen Taeyeon. The founders worked hard to get where we are. We set up a stable society away from the Party for a long time. Change doesn’t happen overnight but right now, we are strong. Right now the Party rules the government, but we rule the people.”

“My question is how long will the people have to bow down to the government? When are we going to step up and stop it? Will we be waiting until the Party makes the first move?”

“I hear your frustrations and you have every right to feel this way. A lot of us that have been living with the Party our whole, lives wonder if we will live to see the end of it. Every time, this question comes up I tell these people, we will see the end to the Party in our lifetime. I must see them fall with my very eyes or I will die trying.”

“I will be by your side the whole time.”

“I know you will Taeyeon and I feel safe knowing that.” The man walked over to his bookshelf and put his book away, “although I love our chats, I believe you need to get back to your mission. Report back to me when you can.”

Taeyeon bowed to the man, “yes sir.” Sliding past the doors, Taeyeon left the office feeling lighter, “he is right. He is always right so why do you argue with him?” Taeyeon started talking to herself down the hallway unknowing to someone watching her closely.

--------------------

“Taeyeon I can’t tell you how grateful we are for you looking after our bundle of joy!”

Taeyeon hugged the older woman, “Anything for you unnie.”

Na Young looked around seeing Won Bin talking to Jessica near the entrance, “you know what to do.” Slipping a key into Taeyeon’s pocket she hugged the girl harder, “two-hours top.”

Taeyeon nodded, “don’t worry too much. I am sure Jessica and I can manage on our own.”

Just then Won Bin walked into the room, “Na Young they might be young, but I think between the both of them, we have nothing to worry about.”

“Yes sir! I have some experience with a baby sister so I am sure this little guy will be well behaved.”

Na Young kissed her baby’s head, “it is near his bedtime. Thanks you two for letting us have some time to ourselves.”

“No problem. You both look after us well. We want to return the favor.”

Won Bin clapped his hands, “Well then we should get going.”

Na Young clasped her hands with Won Bin, “take care.”

Taeyeon let our a long sigh when the door closed and it was just her and Jessica, “what were you and Won Bin talking about in the other room for so long?”

Jessica shrugged, “He always talks work.” Holding the baby in her arms, Jessica smiled warmly at the young life in her hands, “I might have permission to go back up for an assignment soon.”

“Even with the ban?”

“Won Bin is still trying to work it out. We need to keep the Resistance informed.”

Taeyeon brushed her fingers across the baby soft skin smiling at the young child, “looking at him makes it seem like the war suddenly halted for a night.”

Jessica giggled and put the baby in the rocker, “maybe it has.”

Taeyeon welcomed Jessica in her arms as they sat down and looked at the baby slowly rocking back and forth, curiously looking at the mobile.

“I wish I didn’t have work to do. This quiet time between us is nice.”

Jessica snuggled closer, “these family rooms are nice and quiet. It is good for a young kid.”

“And private.”

Jessica giggled when she felt Taeyeon’s hands starting to caress her body, “yes but you have work to do and I have a baby to keep busy.”

Taeyeon kissed the side of Jessica’s head, “we have 2 hours of uninterrupted alone time and you are thinking of work? I think you caught my workaholic disease.”

“They could come back early.”

Taeyeon leaned her head back and groaned, “I hate when you are right.”

Jessica sat up and patted Taeyeon on the leg, “Go do what you have to do and after, if there is time and the baby is asleep, we can take advantage of this private time.”

Taeyeon leaned over and pecked her girlfriend on the lips, “Okay. I will finish fast!”

Jessica giggled before going onto the floor to play with the baby, while Taeyeon got up and fished the key out of her pocket. Carefully Taeyeon examined the house for anything like a recording device before using the key to enter Won Bin’s study. Again she was careful to make sure she didn’t leave a mark in his office.

Not sure what she was looking for, Taeyeon went through the papers on his desk and a few trinkets around the room, but nothing looked to be out of the ordinary. Even the desk drawers were filled with normal items the Editor in Chief would have, “If I wanted to hide something, where would I put it?”

Taeyeon carefully examined the room looking for any kind of hint to a secret storage place, “he is really good…maybe I should ask Jessica to help?”

Not getting anywhere on her own, Taeyeon found Jessica still playing with the baby on the living room floor, “done already?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “I got the key but I can’t figure out where he would hide something in his office. On the outside, everything looks normal.”

Jessica scooped the baby in her arms, “Okay. I help you look.”

Both Taeyeon and Jessica returned to the study and stared at the room, “everything looks like it was placed there on purpose.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I know. So what is something that looks used or out of place?”

Suddenly the baby started wiggling in Jessica’s arms, “what has gotten into you?” With the baby struggling to get out of Jessica’s arms, Jessica let the baby down, “I might have to take him back into the living space.”

Taeyeon squatted down with the baby, “It smells like your dad in here right?”

The baby grinned before quickly crawling to one side of the room. Jessica and Taeyeon followed the child to what looked like a normal wall, “Do you think he knows something?”

Taeyeon put her hand on the wall before knocking it in several places, “this part is hollow.”

“I guess he did know something.” Jessica picked up the baby again, “have fun doing your detective work. I will get started on putting this young man to bed.”

Taeyeon smiled when the wallpaper pealed up effortlessly, revealing a hidden panel in the wall, “Gotcha.” Carefully, Taeyeon took the panel off revealing a gun, some travel documents, IDs not issued by the Resistance, and a letter.” Quickly, Taeyeon pulled out her pocket camera and took pictures of everything in the wall, even some Party currency that was in there, “what are you working on?”

Taeyeon read the letter that was signed by the Party President, “This is a VIP invitation to the 30th Anniversary…” Reading closer, there were dates and locations of the celebration, “what does this have to do with your plan?”

Carefully Taeyeon put everything back into place and sealed up the secret location.

“What did you find out,” Jessica was already feeding the baby its bottle.

“Nothing much. Illegal arms, but nothing to indicate what his plan is.”

“You will to keep following him then.”

Taeyeon sat back down on the couch massaging her leg, “I need to get into the Party.”

Jessica laughed, “your leg is barely healed. You heard the doctor, one more blow could rebreak it.”

“I know, but we are running out of time.”

Hearing the soft breathing of the baby, Jessica smiled knowing she finally got him to sleep, “I am going to put him in bed.”

Taeyeon was too busy in her thoughts to even notice Jessica left and came back until a cold hand came up to massage her neck, “you are not the only one in the Party Taeyeon. Don’t push your body.”

Closing her eyes to the soothing touch of her girlfriend’s loving caresses, Taeyeon sighed, “It is my mission. I have to do it.”

“I know, but you can’t go alone this time Taeyeon. Find a reliable partner just in case you get in trouble.”

Taeyeon looked up to the ceiling and thought for a second, “I know the perfect person.”

---------------------------------

Taecyeon held his knife tightly as he went through a dark tunnel not knowing what dangers could be on the other side. He carefully looked around the empty corridor and went over to pick up his lightstick. Behind him was the exit he entered and straight ahead there was darkness.

“I don’t think anyone would wait in the dark for some strange person to come down this hall…” Taecyeon whispered to himself as he proceeded down the hall. He walked and walked to what seemed like a continuous tunnelway, “I wonder if there are more of these around the Party. A secret tunnel system?”

It had been nearly an hour since Taecyeon started his hike and the tunnel system continued. Judging by his compass, Taecyeon deducted that he was headed to the heart of the Party and he continued to talk to himself to pass the time, “Better question would be who built this tunnel. The Resistance to get into the Party or the Party to get out and into the Sectors undetected.”

Another 10 minutes passed before Taecyeon saw a sliver of light ahead. Quickly he discarded his light and slowly approached the light that seemed to be emitting behind a wall. When he got to the wall he leaned against it hoping to hear if anyone was on the other side, but the concrete was too thick. Looking down to his watch, Taecyeon deducted that morning just broke so whoever was on the other side of that wall, wasn’t going to leave till after dark.

Taking a snack bar out of his pack, Taecyeon sat down and decided to wait. He already came this far, whatever was behind that wall, could explain what was in that room he found in Sector 11.

-----------------------------

Taeyeon had abandoned Jessica to finish the babysitting jobs to lightly jog down the hall to find one of her friends. She ran to her room, but it was empty so she went to the cafeteria, but she wasn’t there so she went around to her work station, “Yuri!”

Yuri was with Sooyoung who was equally surprised to see Taeyeon there, “Are you lost?”

Taeyeon stood there to catch her breath and rub her throbbing leg, “No…came to find you.”

Yuri looked around, “You can’t be here.”

“I need to talk to you. Please.”

Yuri sighed before looking at Sooyoung who gave her the nod of approval, “Alright but it better be quick. I am on duty.”

Taeyeon led the girl to a secluded location away from Sooyoung, “I need your help.”

Yuri stood there with her arms crossed, “I could guess that but before you tell me anything, I will not let you out. Orders are orders. Also you are injured.”

“It is an emergency.”

Yuri shook her head, “Nope. Nothing you can say will let me open those doors to you.”

Taeyeon bit her lip, “I need to trail someone. Nothing dangerous but I can’t be in the Resistance to do that.”

“Who is it. If I can help and keep you safe, I will do that.”

“I was hoping you umm would come with me instead.”

Yuri nearly burst out laughing, “So you want us both to get in trouble or killed? Right now, you are dead weight. If we do get attacked, I would be obligated to look after you meaning I can’t run away nearly as fast.”

“But you are a great fighter.”

“Am I going with you to be your bodyguard?”

Taeyeon shifted on each leg, “In a sense…also you can let me out.”

“Taeyeon I know being injured and you want to go out for fresh air to feel like…like you are making a difference, but none of this is urgent.”

Taeyeon sighed before she took out her camera and showed Yuri a picture of what she found in the hidden compartment.

Yuri took the camera to carefully examined the contents, “Do you have your gear?”

Taeyeon held up her pack, “I have yours too.”

Yuri rolled her eyes, “I can’t believe I am helping you with this. We both could get killed.”

Taeyeon handed Yuri the pack, “We should get changed. We don’t want to be late.”

“Sooyoung is going to kill me for leaving her alone again, Level 1 is going to demote me and I love my job!”

Taeyeon laughed as she changed her clothes, “blame it all on me. Everyone knows I am not right in the head. I held you hostage.”

Yuri pulled the shirt over her head, “I wish it was only that simple.”

Taeyeon pushed her pack to the side and hid it under the counter, “Come on. We need to get there before morning.”

Yuri groaned one last time, “if we get out of this alive.”