Happy 30th!

The Resistance

Opening her eyes slowly, Jessica gazed into Taeyeon’s eyes who was looking back at her lovingly, “Morning.”

Jessica rubbed her eyes, “What time is it?”

“Close to lunch. You slept late.”

Jessica sat up from her bed looking around, “Today is the 30th…”

Taeyeon pulled Jessica back down into her arms, “Yea, but nothing happened. Everything is fine.”

“H-how? The celebrations…speeches…possible invasion? Why would the Party not…”

“Shhh it is all okay…”

However, it was not okay. Jessica did not wake up to looking into Taeyeon’s eyes dreamil, instead, she was woken up by the blaring sirens from the alarms and Taeyeon franticly looking at her, “Jessica wake up! Wake up!”

Jessica was wide awake, “What is that?”

“Code red.”

Jessica jumped out of the bed and quickly threw on her jacket and boots, “. Code red?”

Taeyeon pulled on her boots and opened a chest in her room containing different passes and cash, “Breach from the outside doors. We need to get to the weapon-safe a couple floors down. Code red means we have been found. Kind of like defend or escape.”

Jessica grabbed a backpack, probably belonging to Taeyeon’s roommate, “Here put what we need in this.”

Taeyeon started stuffing the backpack with Party paraphernalia and a few weapons like knives, “Come on. The weapons are a few floors down and I don’t know how far in the intruders are.”

Jessica threw the backpack on her back as the two ran out of the room to find the rest of the members in the Resistance also packing and running around. Luckily Taeyeon and Jessica ran into Taecyeon right away, “Taecyeon! What is going on?”

“The doors to the bar were broken into.”

“ Sooyoung…”

Taecyeon shook his head, “No time to think about that. We need to get out of here.”

“Wait, we are going to get some weapons first.”

Jessica pulled Taeyeon to the side for a second and whispered, “How do we know Taecyeon didn’t lead them here?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “You don’t know him like I do…trust me, we need him on our side.”

“Are we going? I don’t think we have much time.”

“Yea this way.” Taeyeon led the way down the halls that were filled with people fleeing or going to help in the civilian sectors. It was chaotic as the three navigated the hallways into the sectors that were normally blocked off, but Taeyeon knew she was close as she saw other Resistance members rush past her with guns, “Almost there.”

Scampering down the last set of stairs, the trio arrived to see Seven and others from Level 3 handing out the weaponry, “Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon took the gun from Seven, “I need to get into the back rooms for a few items.”

Seven handed Taeyeon some keys, “Do it quickly.”

Taeyeon brushed past Seven and the others to get into the back room that Level 2 used for their undercover missions, “We need clothing for the Party.”

Taecyeon went around looking for the right outfits, “Taeyeon I know you have a plan in mind but you need to let us in a little bit so we have the right patches.”

“We are going into the heart of the Party so just grab everything. We will have to prepare our clothing before going in.”

Taecyeon, who was most familiar with the Party outfits, went through and tried to find all the necessary clothing to get in, “I feel like you already know this Taeyeon, but your plan sounds crazy.”

“Yea…well if you can’t tell it is pretty crazy around here.” Taeyeon grabbed some of her usual gear for missions while Jessica filled a backpack of emergency supplies like food, water, and first aid.

“Are we good to go?” Taeyeon stood by the door watching Taecyeon pack a few more things into the duffle bag, “I don’t know if we have all the right patches and badges…”

“It will have to do. Come on, we will take the forest exit.”

“What about Sooyoung?” Jessica was worried about her friend.

Taeyeon shook her head, “If they got past the bar, it is not going to be worth our time…

Jessica bit her lip knowing what that could mean.

“Taecyeon you lead Jessica to the forest exit, I need to go get someone.”

Taecyeon held Taeyeon back by the shoulders, “Wait, I am not letting you roam around the halls alone. Tell me what you need and I will get it.”

“I will be fine. Be back in a flash.”

Taeyeon ran off into the crowd while Taecyeon and Jessica stood there baffled, “I don’t know how you put up with her stubbornness.”

Jessica threw on the backpack, “You have to learn to accept it.”

 

Running through the hallways, Taeyeon tried to fight the crowds to get to where she needed to go, but it was so congested, she was having trouble moving at all.

“Taeyeon!”

Hearing a familiar voice, Taeyeon turned around, “Yunho!”

Yunho smiled, “I am so happy to see you.”

“Me too.”

“Where are you going? This area is getting locked down next to protect the civilian areas.”

“I need to get to the lab to find Sunny.”

Yunho looked from one side to the other, “I know another way around, follow me.”

Trusting Yunho, Taeyeon followed him through a different staircase and around the dorms, usually for the men, and into a hallway that was already cleared, “I noticed the men's dorms cleared out first.”

Taeyeon scanned the empty hallways, “Yunho this doesn’t feel right.”

Turning around slowly, Yunho snickered, “You have everyone here fooled Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon looked at the man who’s eyes turned black with unfamiliarity, “What do you mean?”

“The great Taeyeon. Somehow everyone thinks you are invincible but there is one big weakness you have, and I could tell right away when you were young, that you trust people too much.”

“How is that a bad thing?”

Yunho drew a knife out of his back pocket, “Because what if the people you trust, turn out to be your enemy?”

Taeyeon threw her bag to the side and pulled the knife from her boot, “Maybe because you are not the same Yunho I knew when I was younger.”

“Or I have always been this way and you were getting played this whole time? Who knows.”

“So it was you who let the Party in...”

Yunho shook his head, “No one had to let anyone in. The Party was in here the whole time.”

Lunging forward, Yunho lead the first attack that Taeyeon dogged, “I always beat you in sparring, what makes you think you can win now?”

Yunho kicked low but Taeyeon evaded but Yunho managed to push her back with his right fist, “I let you win. You think you can beat a man? Just look at you! A lame leg, short and you are a woman. Nothing is working in your favor.”

Taeyeon bit her lip as she tried to forget the fact that Yunho, her mentor, was mocking her, “I don’t know what the you did with Yunho but you are clearly not him.”

Yunho started to attack again but Taeyeon was quick to block every attempt. Not letting up, he continued his assault with a left hook, that Taeyeon ducked and reached up with her right fist, punching him in the gut.

Holding his abdomen in pain, Yunho took a step back, “You have no idea who is your friend or foe here Taeyeon. How well do you really know any of us?”

“I know enough.” Taeyeon ran forward, leaping into the air for a drop kick but Yunho rolled out of the way and kicked into Taeyeon’s bad leg causing her to fall down. Even with the metal brace, Taeyeon could feel the vibrations from the assult shake her to the core.

On the ground helpless, Yunho jumped onto Taeyeon and pinned her down, “I will tell you a little secret Taeyeon. It doesn’t matter how many times you win or lose. The only thing that determines the winner, is whoever survives the last battle. I am afraid for you, this is the last time we will get to see each other.”

Pulling Taeyeon’s arms up, Yunho held both her arms firmly as he reached for his knife ready to take her last breath away until a few pops rang threw the air and Yunho paused for a second. Taeyeon opened her eyes to see his chest filling with a dark red color before he collapsed onto the side.

Looking up, Taeyeon saw Junho standing there petrified, “H-he…he was about to…”

Taeyeon pushed the man off her, “It is okay…That wasn’t Yunho. Or at least I don’t think it is.” Getting up, Taeyeon flipped the man over and looked behind his ear where the device was blinking red, “I don’t know what is going on, but I think the Party is controlling some people in the Resistance.

Junho bent down to look at the thing on Yunho’s neck, “I never saw that before.”

Taeyeon put the knife back into her boot and grabbed the gun out of her bag, “I saw it the last time I sparred with him. He was acting strange after his capture…I think the Party did something to him while he was in prison.”

Junho looked up at Taeyeon who was getting ready to leave, “Where are you going?”

“I need to find Sunny. Last I saw she was in the lab.”

Junho shook his head, “No, I saw her go towards the woman’s dorms...Level 6.”

Taeyeon threw her head back, “She is trying to find me.”

“Why in Level 6?”

“Because she knows I can’t leave without Jessica.”

Junho looked around for Jessica, “Aren’t you looking for Jessica?”

“Jessica is out already. Come on, let’s go get Sunny.”

Junho followed behind Taeyeon closely as they ran back to the woman’s dorms where Sunny was waiting patiently, “I knew you would show up eventually.”

“I was going to the labs! Where you should be.”

Sunny shrugged, “The labs are so far away, you will never get through once they start locking up to secure the civilian sector.”

“Do you have everything you need? We need to get out of here now.”

Sunny patted her bag, “I got it.”

Junho took the bag and threw it over his shoulders, “Taeyeon which way?”

“The forest. Although I am afraid that might be compromised with Yunho…”

“What? Yunho?”

Taeyeon continued to lead the way to the forest exit, “That transmitter, I found it behind Yunho’s ear but this time it was blinking red. I think the Party is somehow controlling members of the Resistance.”

“.” Sunny gasped as she tried to keep up with the trained militants, “Taeyeon stop! We need to go back. The civilians are in danger if that is the case.”

Taeyeon stopped for a second turning around to face Sunny, “We are already out of time. The only way to stop this is the mainframe…like we talked about before.”

“Taeyeon all those innocent people are sitting ducks, trapped with who knows how many Party members who want to exterminate all of us.”

“Taeyeon…Sunny is right. We can’t just leave and let them die.”

Taeyeon bit her lip thinking quickly, “I don’t know what to do. Even if we go back there, can we fight them all? Also what if the civilians get out, they are going right into the Party.”

“.” Sunny looked up to the ceiling trying to figure out what to do, “They need to evacuate. Trapped in here, there is no chance of survival.”

Taeyeon handed Sunny her pack, “Junho you get Sunny out of here. I am going back in.”

“Not without me!”

“Junho! Sunny needs to be safe. Taecyeon and Jessica should be out there…if I don’t come back within 2 hours, carry out the mission without me. Sunny and Taecyeon are the ones we really need anyways.”

Sunny quickly pulled Taeyeon in for a hug, “Don’t you dare do this alone.”

Taeyeon gave her friend a goofy smile, “Jessica already knew I would do something reckless.”