Ticking Time Bomb

The Resistance

Taeyeon was late as she came running into the room as fast as she could, “Finally you are here.”

Taeyeon looked around the room and bowed at her senior but another person in the room caught her attention, “Sunny?”

Sunny giggled knowing why Taeyeon was surprised, “In the Ministry of Defense I was part of the technology sector developing new ways to protect the Party. Naturally, the Resistance put me here.”

“You were always quick to learn new things…I just never knew.” Taeyeon walked around the table to see the device, “so this is what Taecyeon found?”

Just then Taecyeon entered the room with his father, “Yes. There was an underground lab that lead into the prison. JeA did you figure out what it is?”

JeA rubbed the back of her head, “Yes and no. Sunny and I have figured out this is some kind of transmitter but we don’t know what for.”

“You see here,” Sunny pointed at the device, “this looks like it could attach to the skin. To be honest, I never heard of any kind of project with transmission devices so I have no idea.”

Mr. Ok put his hand on Taecyeon’s shoulder, “You did good finding this but I am afraid just finding the device does us no good if we don’t know what it is used for.”

“Sir we will continue to examine and report if anything knew comes up.”

Mr. Ok nodded, “Alright. Please do. I will take my leave.”

Taecyeon bowed and left along with his father, but Taeyeon stayed behind, “What were you working on with the Ministry of Defense?”

Sunny smiled, “You know that is classified.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I could go into the debriefing files, but I want to hear it from you.”

JeA looked back and forth at the two women, noticing the tense situation and coughed, “I am going to go have lunch. See you two later.”

Sunny waved her senior goodbye as the girls waited for the door to close, “Anything you can tell me so we can figure out what the Party has planned.”

Sunny sighed as she looked into Taeyeon’s eyes, “The Party has been silently adding more security. Before you could use cute tricks like stealing a badge to get into some buildings, but things have changed a lot since you last broke in. There are security cameras all around now that can scan faces. Only known Party operatives will be able to enter the capital. All others will trigger a silent alarm. This is one reason a lot of Resistance members were taken back. A few already were caught with these new systems in place.”

Taeyeon sighed in frustration, “Is that all?”

“There is more.” Sunny continued, “Taeyeon the citizens are armed. There was a new initiative that went out a few months ago where soldiers entered villages passing out weapons and requiring the men to do basic training. If we go to war with the Party, it is not just the soldiers that you need to worry about.”

“Gorilla warfare.” Taeyeon spun around in her seat once thinking, “Transmission devices, new security, and gorilla warfare…what could be the connection.”

“I can tell you, the Party is ready. The question is, the Resistance ready when the Party makes the first move?”

“How do you know we aren’t ready for our move?” Taeyeon eyed out Sunny who started laughing.

“For the reputation that the Resistance has for stirring up trouble to take down the Party, this place has always tried to keep the peace where the Party caused trouble.”

Taeyeon laughed at the irony of the situation, “I guess you are right. Do you know if it is possible to plant our faces in the Party’s software?”

Sunny sighed as she thought for a while, “I could put a virus into the software, but that would need to be plugged into the mainframe that is inside the capitol somewhere guarded. Taeyeon I know what you are thinking of doing, but I am warning you that the 30th is coming. With how active the Party has been with military operations, this will be it. In a week, the Party will do something and I guarantee, it is more than just blowing up a stadium.”

Taeyeon nodded as she got up from her chair, “Thanks for everything Sunny. I will see you around.”

Sunny gave Taeyeon a sad smile, “Taeyeon take care of yourself.”

Taeyeon laughed as she slapped her bad leg, “Nothing can keep me down.” Exiting the room, the last person Taeyeon thought she would see is Taecyeon, “I thought you left.”

Taecyeon kicked off the wall and walked towards Taeyeon, “Whatever you are planning, I want in.”

Taeyeon laughed, “What do you think I am planning on doing?”

“You want to take out the Party from the inside but I am sure Sunny told you about the new security measures. I can help.”

Taeyeon eyed up the man and thought for a second, “I will think about it.”

Giving her a devilish smirk, Taecyeon put his hands in his pockets, “You know where to find me.”

Taeyeon watched as Taecyeon walked down the end of the hall before she went the other way. She knew Taecyeon had the know-how to get into the Party with being head of Security, but she is always skeptical about people who chose to stay in the Party. Even if they are like family to her.

Going down a few hallways, Taeyeon walked around until she ended up in the training area. She thought sweating off her frustrations would put her mind at ease but the faint sounds of gunfire made her wonder who could be doing armed training at this hour.

Turning around the other direction, Taeyeon went to the firing range and looked into the window, “Yoona.”

Carefully opening the door, Taeyeon walked in and waited for Yoona to finish firing the rounds and take off her ear protections.

“Where have you been?”

Yoona looked back to see Taeyeon standing there with her arms crossed, “Training.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “I can see that, but you couldn’t have been training 24/7. I hear you missed meetings and you haven’t returned to our room since…” Yoona slammed the gun down and grabbed her stuff to walk out but Taeyeon caught her arm, “you can’t keep running away from this. Talk to me.”

Yoona sniffled back her tears, “What does talking ever do? Huh? How long are you going to keep yourself locked up here?”

Taeyeon looked down in shame.

“A few years ago I knew a Taeyeon that wanted to take action and kill those Party bastards. Don’t tell me you Party-filth girlfriend changed you.”

Taeyeon rose her hand and slapped the woman, “Don’t ing…” Taeyeon huffed in frustration, “I know you are angry…hell I want to kill everyone responsible too, but don’t talk recklessly. Jessica isn’t like the rest of them.”

Yoona scoffed, “What do we really know about those who are with and against the Party? For all we know there are spies all around us giving the Party information. The only people you can trust is yourself.”

“So what? Are you going to go out there alone and take them down one by one?”

“If that is what it takes.”

“It won’t bring Yuri back and it would be a waste of your life.”

“My life was always here to die for the Resistance. When and where that happens, I don’t care, but I am going to take down as many Party members with me.”

Taeyeon threw her head back in disbelief, “You are ing crazy.”

Yoona walked slowly towards Taeyeon and leaned down to eye level, “No you forgot your mission Kim Taeyeon. My mind is clearer than ever.” Yoona backed away to leave, “Don’t come find me again unless you have a pistol in your hand ready to take down the Party with me.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “She has finally lost it.” Leaving the training area, Taeyeon unconsciously walked by editing room for the newspaper. Carefully, Taeyeon peeked through the window and saw Jessica working away. Smiling Taeyeon knew why she loved this woman, seeing her working hard and trying her best. Yoona was wrong. Jessica is not Party-filth and she should trust her intuition that Jessica was a changed person.

After a while, her eyes shifted over to Seohyun. She watched the girl carefully until she disappeared into the editor office. If she was to trust her intuition on Jessica, she wondered if she should also trust her intuition on Seohyun.

Not wanting to disturb Jessica, Taeyeon backed away and started walking the halls again. She didn’t really have a schedule today with Level 1 putting her team on break after the failed Party mission. Even now she felt more useless than ever. She felt like she was living in a bubble that was waiting to burst, but she wasn’t sure who was going to burst the bubble or if she was even ready for when that happened. She felt a push and pull of wanting to relax and spend time with Jessica and the urge to go find her team to start training now.

“You look like a lost puppy.”

Taeyeon turned around in surprise, “Junho.”

The boy gave Taeyeon a sad smile, “Did you want to spar with me?”

Taeyeon laughed, “How’s your head?”

Junho rubbed the back of his hair, “Better than that leg, it might be an even fight?”

Taeyeon laughed, “I ran too much on it, I was told to take a break again. Never ending sitting and waiting.”

Junho looked around, “Let’s go spar.”

Taeyeon looked at the boy curiously wondering if something was going on because she was pretty clear that she won’t be able to fight him, “Okay?”

Junho led Taeyeon to an empty training room and closed the door, “We are being watched.”

Taeyeon found the closest seat, “What do you mean?”

Junho took a piece of paper and blocked the window that looks into the room, “I know someone is following me around the compound.”

“Have you seen their face?”

“Not really, but whoever it is must have access to high level facilities to be where I am.”

Taeyeon sighed as she thought back to the past few days. She was so out of it thinking of Yuri that she wasn’t aware of what was happening around her, “I never noticed.”

The same person was following you just now.

Taeyeon sat up, “What? How do you know?”

“This person is careful, but every time I see their shadow. I saw the same shadow by you. Taeyeon you need to be really careful, especially what you might say in the hallways.”

Taeyeon facepalmed herself thinking of her whole day, “. I haven’t been my usual self with everything…I should know better.”

Junho patted Taeyeon’s back, “I know it has been hard. Siwon was my senior…he was part of our team…this whole thing is out of control.”

Taeyeon racked her fingers through her hair, “The Party is moving. They have something big planned and that is about as much as I know. There have been talks of spies here in the Resistance but we only have hunches on a few of them.”

“Hey did you notice Yunho has been different since he came back?”

“What do you mean? From this last mission?”

“No no from the time you and I got hurt and he disappeared only to show up again one day with no memory or whatever.”

Taeyeon sat up straight, “He is a little quieter, not joking around as much as he used to but that is about it.”

Junho started pacing the room, “Sometimes I go to his room for mission reports and right when I enter, he is covering up something or on the phone, which he hangs up right away. Our team was always so open, he never did that before and you know he likes to meet people in person than talk on that phone.”

Taeyeon laughed, “When he was promoted and moved into that office, Yunho threatened to throw the phone out because it bothered him too much. If there is increased Party activity he could be getting more calls though? That phone goes to a Level 1 contact in the Party…like an emergency line if we need to diffuse a bomb quickly.”

“That worries me more. Yunho works with our spies in the Party and is down here in the Resistance…”

Taeyeon waved her hands, “Wait wait…this is Yunho, he has been loyal from day 1. I would never believe him to be a spy for the Party.”

Junho shrugged, “I am just saying he has been acting different. If anyone knows something is wrong with Yunho, it will be you Taeyeon.” Going over to the paper on the window, Junho took it off, “Be careful Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon watched Junho walk out perplexed but the list Mr. Ok gave her previously made sense. She had to be more careful and she needed to watch out for Yunho too.

--------------------------

In an undisclosed location, a woman was tied to a chair with one light hanging above her. She looked around waiting for something to happen but no one was around.

A few more minutes passed and a man came through the steel door closing it loudly behind him, “I find this situation very interesting.”

The woman chuckled at the man, “I thought of who might be the one to take me prisoner and it was  you.”

The man stood back as he read through the arrest warrant, “I must say the allegations against you are substantial and if true, you will prove very useful to the Party in one way or another.” Taking a seat, the man stared into the woman’s eyes, “You have to laugh a little with me that the head of our Prison system is now a prisoner in her own system…Don’t you agree Wan-Sun? It is like you knew where you would end up one day.”

The woman sighed and sat back, “If I am in these chains, then the Party has already come to a conclusion.”

The man smiled, “You know the Party well comrade…ah wait, I would never refer to a traitor that way. Now tell me, how did a high-ranking member of the Resistance sneak into the Party like this?”

The woman smirked, “Where is your intel coming from?”

The man closed his notebook, “From people like you.”

The woman was perplexed, “What does that mean? Are you saying I would willingly tell you everything?”

The man smirked and waved over a man standing nearby, “Get her ready. The Commander wants us to start right away and I think it would be fitting she is the last one. Activate the other soldiers when you finish.” Turning back to Wan-Sun he smiled, “You will know what I mean soon and then you will watch the Resistance fall with your own eyes.