Welcome Home: Part II

The Resistance

The man stared into Taeyeon’s eyes with a dark intensity, “It has been a while Kim Taeyeon.”

 

Taecyeon tried to hold in his laughter, but he couldn’t as he dropped the knife and let Taeyeon go, “You looked scared for a second.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and straightened up, “In your dreams.”

“I thought it might be you because dad only gives the house keys to you but I thought someone could have picked the locks…we have a lot of sneaky people down here. Can’t be too careful right?”

Taeyeon entered the room and took a seat, “Your dad told me nothing. Why are you here?”

“Always straight to business. I miss my cute little dongsaeng who would run up to me saying oppa oppa.”

Taeyeon threw her head back and groaned, “How do you even remember that?”

“It might have been 20 years ago or something like that but I remember it well. I was slightly jealous my sister was able to stay down here with you the whole time.”

“I am very happy it was your sister who stayed down here the whole time.” Taeyeon glared at the man, “So why are you back?”

“For the same reason all the other agents returned.”

“There is no way your cover could get blown. You were sent in young.”

“I didn’t believe it at first either, but it seems so.”

Taeyeon closed her eyes for a secon trying to process the information, “I don’t want you back here.”

“You were always good at reunions Taeyeon,” Taecyeon finally sat down across from Taeyeon, “The war has finally come. Shouldn’t I join the team I am fighting with?”

“There was more to be done within the Party. What about Sector 11?”

“I already debriefed Level 1 on that. Waiting for the lab to get back to me about what I found there.”

“What did you find?”

Taecyeon laughed, “I am hungry. Should we go eat?”

Taeyeon grumbled, “Why do you always keep secrets from me? I will find out eventually.”

“I am not keeping a secret, I am asking you want to eat? My father was an ungracious host and didn’t give me more than a bed when I arrived.”

“Fine. The cafeteria is close but this is not a normal time for food so we need to eat with the civilian Resistance members.”

“How many civilians do you think we have now?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “I am not sure. Most are happy to help with the fight but I assume half are too old or have injuries to prevent them to.”

Taecyeon nodded, “Then we need to protect this place to make sure the fight never comes to them.”

“Same for the civilians of the Party. No one should be forced into this conflict. Most of the civilians are already struggling to stay alive. You should know after working at the bakery.” Taeyeon walked out of the room and watched Taecyeon lock the door behind him, but stopped him, “We need to get you new clothes first.”

Taecyeon looked down at his clothes, “What is wrong with this?”

“It is obvious that you came from the Party. It would be better if you don’t stand out too much down here.” Taeyeon could hear his father’s words echo in her head. She needed to keep him safe. She remembered what Jessica went through the first time she entered the Resistance. The hate that most of the Resistance members felt towards the Party can blind certain people into rage.

“My father and I are not the same size.”

“We have a storage area for clothes. We will stop there first.” Taeyeon started to lead the way with Taecyeon close behind.

As they made their way down the corridors, curious eyes landed on the pair: Taeyeon who was well known around the Resistance and then behind her a man that looked to be from the Party. Most didn’t know how to act other than to gawk at the unusual pairing. Most assumed Taeyeon would kill any Party member on sight leading most to wonder who is this man. However, none of the Resistance members have the guts to approach Taeyeon except…

“Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon quickly turned around and saw Yunho, “Yunho! Are you okay? I heard you went to the infirmary.”

The man smiled cheerfully, “I am good. Nothing to be concerned about. Who are you escorting here?”

Taeyeon didn’t know if she should give up Taecyeon’s identity yet, “He is umm…”

Taecyeon moved in front of Taeyeon and grabbed Yunho’s hand, “Taec…I am Taeyeon’s long lost brother.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes as Yunho looked over at Taeyeon in surprise, “I thought you are an orphan?”

“Long lost is right, brother is not.”

Taecyeon gave Taeyeon a friendly shove, “Aww don’t be shy. I think of you as my precious sister. Besides you call my father, your father.”

Yunho was watching very confused, “I umm…I am Taeyeon’s group leader Yunho.”

“Nice to meet you,” Taecyeon smiled in return, “Please take care of my sister well.”

“I will?” Yunho answered as he observed the muscular man that towered over Taeyeon.

Taeyeon pulled Taecyeon away from Yunho, “Don’t believe what he says Yunho! I will see you later after I take care of this troublemaker.”

Yunho laughed at the funny sight of the shorter woman pulling the other man away, “sure thing.”

Taecyeon was laughing, “I want to say you are my sister, what is so wrong with that? We were close growing up and you came to visit me often in the Party.” Looking back at Yunho, Taecyeon saw a strange scar behind his neck but thought nothing of it, “Why can’t he know who I am to you?”

“You are just causing confusion. Everyone here doesn’t know my relationship with your father.” Taeyeon tried to explain, “It is better people don’t know how I am related to certain people in Level 1.”

Taecyeon nodded, “They are going to find out soon.”

“Why is that?” Taeyeon stopped to look at the man.

Taecyeon smiled brightly, “Because she knows.”

Taeyeon followed the gaze of the other male to see Jessica standing there stunned, “Taec? Taecyeon?”

For a second, Taeyeon had an oh moment seeing Jessica approach so she quickly intervened, “Sica…”

Jessica didn’t even see Taeyeon until she heard her voice. She was so transfixed on seeing Taecyeon, a loyal Party member, standing in front of her in the Resistance. She had the urge to fight him and hug him at the same time.

Holding a pen behind her back, Jessica cautiously approached the pair, “Taeyeon…do you know who that is?”

Taeyeon stepped in between the two people, “Jessica I know who he is.”

“Then why is he here?”

Taeyeon nearly chuckled at the threatening pen behind Jessica’s back, “He is Resistance.”

Jessica nearly choked in laughter, “Is that what he told you? I know exactly who he is…he is head of Security for the Party.”

Taeyeon finally reached Jessica and carefully took the pen out of her hands, “Jessica he is with us, I promise.”

Jessica side-eyed the man, “He can’t be…”

Taecyeon finally thought he should intervene, “It’s true. I infiltrated the Party when I entered school. My family has been in the Resistance since it was first formed. They thought I should go undercover…that is how I met you.”

“B-but but I know you…you were so loyal to the Party.”

“It was just an act. I did what I had to so I could do my mission. Security was always the goal so I can move around the Party undetected.”

Jessica stood there numb. She tried to digest all this information. It was like everything she knew about her childhood came crashing down. Did anyone tell the truth to her growing up? The lies.

Taeyeon reached over and patted Jessica on the shoulder, “Jessica we have been playing this game for a long time. We had a network of spies in the Party, just like the Party can send spies here in the Resistance. Until the war is over, it is hard to trust people completely. We always have to be alert.”

Jessica knew this very well. Just recently, Jessica and Taeyeon proved Won Bin was working for the Party yet most of the Resistance knew him as a loyal member. War games of the mind…she should have studied that more in school.

“Anyway…Taeyeon and I are off to get me clothes. You coming?”

Jessica broke from her trance to see Taeyeon and Taecyeon waiting for an answer, “I don’t think so…”

Taeyeon gave Jessica an understanding smile, “I will see you later.”

Jessica could only nod to both of them as she left the other two alone, “You know Jessica almost stabbed you with a pen.”

Taecyeon laughed as Taeyeon showed her the pen, “Good thing she didn’t try. I might not still be alive.”

Taeyeon stopped and looked at Taecyeon confused, “What do you mean? Jessica can fight alright, but I don’t think she could take you down.”

Taecyeon laughed, “Oh yes she can. During our time in university, she was the best at combat.”

Taeyeon stopped to think and remembered she had to teach Jessica how to fight for the exams, “That can’t be…”

Taecyeon could see Taeyeon in deep thought, “I thought you knew…”

Taeyeon shook her head.

Taecyeon looked over to the direction Jessica left, “That is strange. Why would she hide the fact that she can fight well?”

Taeyeon wondered the same thing.

 

After getting Taecyeon outfitted with some new clothes, the two settled for a simple ramen dinner at Taeyeon’s favorite shop.

“You know the layout of the Resistance is similar to what my dad spoke about before the Party took over.” Taecyeon nearly devoured his noodles in one bite.

“The ones who set up the Resistance were probably modeling it off their memories before then.”

Taecyeon nodded, “Although I spent most of my time above, in the Party, coming here feels like home. It feels warm and welcoming.”

Taeyeon smiled at the thought, “I spent a lot of time both places, but I just assumed that feeling was because I grew up here.”

Taecyeon shook his head, “No. When you go up to the Party, you can see the devastation, the struggles of the everyday people, and the tension of uncertainty. Down here, it is like you are just living your life, not concerned about the war that is over your heads.”

Taeyeon didn’t know why she let out a laugh, but she chuckled at the thought, “I didn’t know how good I had it all this time.”

“The Party relies on food stamps based on your job, but here you give people jobs and earn a real wage to spend around where you like…you know those little things, they add up to reduce stress. The Party always talks about providing, but I think that is the thing they do the least. The Resistance provides shelter, safety, food, clothes, and a peaceful life.” Taecyeon explained, “If I had to choose, I would never return to the Party ever again. I would want to stay in this little safe space that was created.”

“Makes you question, why some people would want to destroy it?” Taeyeon leaned in, “there are a few spies we know of down here, but a few others that we are not sure. I have always wondered why these people could see something so good, and want it to disappear.”

Taecyeon hummed as he looked around the quant food street, “Maybe they don’t see this.”

Taeyeon raised her brow, “No? Then what do they see?”

“They see an uprising. They see people coming together to take down something they love.” Taecyeon dabbed the napkin on his face as he finished his meal, “Believe it or not, the Party is a passion…is life to certain folks. When I was a student, I saw it every day. The passion glowing in the eyes of these young kids as if the Party was some savior to their existence.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “that is unreal…”

“I hate to say it but Jessica was the same way.” Taecyeon shifted in his seat, “It makes me wonder why she chose to come down here…you must have some mystical powers of persuasion Taeyeon. I thought Jessica would be a lost cause to the Party. Wasted talent for someone who could benefit the Resistance greatly.”

Taeyeon eyed Taecyeon who was usually very truthful, “Taecyeon, did your father ever tell you why they targeted Jessica for recruitment?”

Taecyeon shrugged, “My dad knew her family since she was young, maybe he saw something in her since then? I don’t question the motives of the leaders, I follow orders…as do you. You were ordered to get close to Jessica and bring her in, I am surprised to know how close you got. Was this relationship of yours also part of the plan?”

“She came to the Resistance and my mission ended. The relationship happened later…” Taeyeon defended as she sipped her tea, “What does it matter to you?”

Taecyeon gave Taeyeon a wicked smile, “Did you know I was originally assigned to Jessica? Who knows if I was chosen, if I would have ended up with her instead?”

Suddenly the tea tasted bitter, “then it would be my loss, correct?”

“I wonder if Jessica knew all your secrets Taeyeon, if she would still want to be with you. I am certain she doesn’t know a few things you have done to get her into the Resistance.”

Taeyeon doesn’t know why Taecyeon would feel the need to threaten her and Jessica like this, “Missions like that are classified for a reason.”

Taecyeon nodded, “I am sure we have all done a mission or two we regret.”

Taeyeon stood up from the table because she had enough of Taecyeon’s taunting, “You seem settled enough down here. I have other matters to attend to.”

Taecyeon could see he got under Taeyeon’s skin, “It was all in good fun Taeyeon. Learn to take a joke.”

Taeyeon waved him off, “I never find myself laughing at your jokes.”

Storming away, Taeyeon went room to room hoping to find her girlfriend. She had an urge to hold her tight but at the same time, so many things Taecyeon said echoed in her head. How can she not know much about Jessica’s time in the Party?

Finally, Taeyeon found Jessica in her room taking a nap. She didn’t really want to wake Jessica up so she carefully laid down in the bed with her and wrapped her into her arms. Jessica was probably half asleep as she curled into Taeyeon’s embrace.

For a while, Taeyeon just held on tight. Jessica made her feel so many things, but warmth and tranquility was the ones she wanted to hold onto the most. Eventually she could feel Jessica’s body grow heavy again and she gave her a kiss on the forehead, “there is so much more I want to know about you. Maybe when that day comes, we both can tell our secrets.”