Things Unsaid

The Resistance

Jessica leaned back and touched her lips. It had been two days since Taeyeon left for a mission but Jessica had been replaying Taeyeon’s confession in her head since. Of course she had her doubts about the older girl’s feelings but for now, Jessica chose to ignore those notions because every time she saw Taeyeon, Jessica could feel her defenses fall. With just a single look, Jessica found herself being drawn into the other girl. For once, she wanted to be swept away in the feeling that only Taeyeon could make her feel…even if she might get hurt in the end.

“Jessica did you finish?”

Being torn from her thoughts, Jessica looked up at Seohyun who was staring down at her, “Oh yea…read them all.”

“Great because we have a story to cover.”

Jessica stood up from her chair, “Does that mean…we get to go up?”

Seohyun smiled, “Don’t get too excited. It isn’t anything big.”

“But we are going up right?”

Seohyun laughed at the girl’s excitement, “Yes but just for a short while. Won Bin would kill me if you got hurt the first day of reporting.”

Jessica was feeling ecstatic for her first story. Although she knew it wouldn’t require her to smash the through the defenses of the Party, she was excited to get out and see what was happening outside of the Resistance.

Seohyun led Jessica to the costume room where they kept all the clothing to blend into the Party, “So we are going to a civilian sector, not the Party. We will need section 11 clothing so you just look at the labeling here.” Jessica watched at Seohyun showed her the labeling system in the clothing room, “Then you need to understand what you are reporting to get the correct clothing however, this is just a civilian section so all the clothing is okay. You will need to be more detail oriented if you choose to go into a government sector.” Seohyun pulled out several pieces of clothing, one for herself, one for Jessica and one for the photographer, V. Jessica always wondered why the boy had the name, V but Jessica noticed that most of the photo boys had only one letter for their name. If not V, they could also take L or N. She guessed it was for safety reasons to not know their real names.

After changing into their respective clothing, Jessica was shown the essentials to pack and the three were ready to go up. Similar to the way Taeyeon had taken her before, the three of them went through the same corridors out of the Resistance. Once again, Jessica saw the same person guarding the door, until they were greeted by the familiar tavern Jessica traveled out of before but this time, her eyes bore into the one person she hadn’t seen for a while, “...Yuri...”

Yuri connected her eyes with Jessica for a second but just for a second until she resumed her conversation with Sooyoung who was also at the bar. Jessica sighed inwardly at the awkward atmosphere she had with the girl but what was she to do? She was with Taeyeon and Taeyeon’s best friend probably still had feelings for her. Maybe they could never be normal friends again?

“Jessica be alert...people will be watching. Always remember that.” Seohyun said right as they exited the tavern although she didn’t need to be told that. She knew the Party was watching, always in secret of course.

The trio took a bus to section 11 and used their fake IDs to enter the section as a normal citizen. There was a tip that section 11 was having people go missing so Seohyun was called in to make a report. Jessica looked over at V who was secretly making a recording of their events but the kid was good at acting so natural doing his work, “Jessica we are going to go around shopping. Don’t forget to use the tips I gave you for asking questions. We can’t be suspicious but if you think you are in trouble, you know what to do.” Jessica nodded as she took some money from Seohyun, “V will be with you nearby ok?”

“I got it.” Jessica said as she watched V further himself from Jessica and Seohyun disappear into the crowd of people. This was her chance to prove that she could do well as a reporter, she needed to be confident and get all the facts right. Main thing was to not to get caught.

Once she thought she was ready, Jessica made her way over the first stand that was selling eggs and chicken, “Miss you want a half dozen, a full or a good price on fresh chicken? Chopped to your liking.”

Jessica looked at the eggs, “How much for half?”

The man eyed her up, “30 pieces.”

Jessica knew the prices of eggs as she used to buy them for Mr. Ok at the bread shop, “That price is outrageous! No more than 15! The shop down the road sells for 15...until well it closed. That man was so nice until he just went and abandoned the business!”

The older man at the shop looked irritated from her response, “Price has gone up. 30 or leave!”

Jessica knew she had to be tough with her price, “You are just robbing me because there is less competition?”

“Mam 30 or get out! I didn’t tell the man to go out of business. He just plain left. Even his wife and children vanish.”

“How can someone just vanish.”

“Look lady...everyone knows that when things happen without reason, we don’t ask questions. It could make you disappear too. Now are you taking the eggs or not? I have a business to run.”

Jessica looked at the money in hand, “I will take my business elsewhere. 30 is too much.”

Just as Jessica was to walk out of the shop, a hand forced her to stop, “20. Please that is my last request no lower.”

Jessica turned to pay the man, “20 is fair.” After paying the man, Jessica took her eggs and left but she lingered around the area to watch the man to see if he talked to anyone about her behavior. Yet the man did nothing but try to sell his merchandise. Thinking she was in the clear, Jessica went around a few more shops asking similar questions but everyone had a similar answer of not knowing and don’t ask questions.

For the first time, Jessica could see how difficult the job could be. When you were messing with the Party and their activities, no one wants to truly talk about it...talking could mean death. Yet Jessica was curious to why an entire family was taken. Usually just the informant would pay the consequence but in this case, the entire family would be taken away. Something wasn’t right and Jessica couldn’t get the folks in the market to give her any kind of lead. Maybe Seohyun was having better progress.

“Jessica let’s go,” V whispered into Jessica’s ear as he walked past her.

Seeing V already far ahead, Jessica tried to keep up with him as they both exited the market and made their way to an empty alley. Once V stopped, Jessica also stopped, “Why did we leave? I have nothing so far.”

V took Jessica’s hand and they crouched behind a pile of boxes as the boy whispered, “What are you asking? Some people started following you. Seo said not to do anything suspicious, you could put us all in danger.”

“Just hinted at it. Nothing direct I swear.”

V looked at the girl before getting up, “Stay. I’m getting Seo so we can leave. I think we have been exposed for now.”

Jessica sighed in frustration. She didn’t mean to get them exposed but what did she do wrong? She thought she was doing her job well.

“Well well...what is a young girl doing alone here?” Jessica looked up in shock as a few boys approached her, “I think you are too pretty to be here in section 11 miss. You should follow us, we could take you to a nicer place like section 3 or 4.”

Seeing these boys made Jessica remember the time she and Taeyeon were training. She could fight them and escape but would that blow her cover? Jessica knew she already stirred up some kind of trouble and causing more could really hurt her team or get her exposed as Resistance. What should she do?

“What are you boys doing there picking on a girl?”

The boys turned at laughed at the sight of another woman, “Really? Looks like your friend came to save you but it seems like she wants to play with us too. We could take you both pretty ladies.”

Jessica slowly stood up from the boxes as she looked to her left where she saw the other girl and she was shocked. Why is she here? She isn’t part of this mission, “How about you just leave before I make you?”

The boys laughed at the girl’s tenacity, “Feisty. I like that.”

Jessica was now behind the girl for protection, “Get lost.”

The boys ignored the girl’s threats as they walked closer but just as the boy was about to touch the other girl and Jessica noticed the girl getting ready for a counter, two more people entered the ally, “Get away from them!”

Jessica quickly turned to see V and Seohyun. The boys groaned before muttering some nonsense and leaving. Jessica sighed in relief that the boys  left but there was still tension in the air, “What are you doing here? This isn’t your area.”

Jessica was surprised at Seohyun’s outburst, “Look...I just noticed that she needed help.”

“Yuri you didn’t answer my question, why are you here? You know your place.”

Yuri raked her fingers through her hair, as she bit her lip in annoyance, “ off Seo...you have no say in this matter. It was orders from level 1.”

Seohyun raised her brow in confusion, “what orders?”

“Never mind...just keep a better eye on your mentee. Level 1 doesn’t want her harmed.” Yuri said right before she pushed her way past Seohyun and left.

Seohyun laughed in frustration and anger, “That girl...always had an anger problem.” Jessica was surprised to hear that Yuri...of all people had anger issues. Sure the girl was reckless and headstrong, but Jessica never saw her go into an angry outburst, “Whatever, we should head back.”

Jessica wanted to say something or at least ask about the mission, but seeing Seohyun nearly blowing smoke from her nose, Jessica chose to keep closed. Maybe when they return to the Resistance, they will have a meeting about what exactly happened.

 

By the time the trio made it back to the Resistance, Seohyun just told them to write up a report and they would talk the next day. Jessica knew that Seohyun was still mad at Yuri for some reason or another, or possibly mad at her for blowing the mission. At least she hopped that she wouldn’t be punished too bad the next day.

“You look tired.”

Jessica nearly hit her head on the bed above her when she heard the one voice she was hoping to hear, “Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon laughed as reciprocated the hug Jessica threw at her, “Hey...missed you too.”

Jessica smiled as she held Taeyeon close, “Did you just get back?”

Taeyeon hummed in response as she continued to feel the warmth of the other girl, “Sorry I was gone for so long. It seems you missed me a lot.”

Jessica let go of the hug as she blushed bashfully, “yea...”

Taking a seat on Jessica’s bed, Taeyeon turned her attention to the other girl, “So? How is it going in level 6? I hope Seohyun isn’t bullying you or anything like that.”

Jessica’s eyes shot up to meet Taeyeon’s, “Oh no. We just went up for our first assignment.”

“Really? They are breaking you in fast. How did it go?” Jessica looked away from Taeyeon and played with the other girl’s fingers, “Unless...you can’t talk about it?”

“I mean I could but I think I messed up...”

Taeyeon took a hold of Jessica’s hand to caress, “I doubt that but do you want to tell me what happened?”

“I am not sure. I was asking questions and then our cameraman pulled me away because I was being followed...then out of nowhere Yuri showed up, then Seohyun...”

“Wait what? You are saying so much and Yuri?” Taeyeon’s voice rose an octave as she looked at Jessica in surprise.

“Yuri showed up.”

Taeyeon turned slightly to fully face Jessica, “Jessica that doesn’t make sense. She is assigned to guard the tavern and entrance of the Resistance.”

“Well I was in a bit of trouble...”

Taeyeon nearly stood at the mention of trouble, “Trouble? Jessica what exactly happened while you were out?”

Jessica sighed before retelling the events of the day, “...then we returned here.”

Taeyeon had her brows furrowed, “Are you saying that level 1 gave Yuri a special mission? But Yuri never associates with level 1.”

“Are you sure? Yuri wouldn’t lye about something like that right? Also what is the deal with Yuri and Seohyun? They look like they hate each other.”

Taeyeon stood up from the bed and looked down at Jessica, “I think I should go talk to Yuri and straighten up some facts.”

Jessica gave Taeyeon a cute pout as the older girl was about to leave her, “But you just got here.”

Taeyeon laughed at the girl, “Don’t worry. I just need to get some things done tonight and it is late. You should get to bed...you still look tired.”

Jessica couldn’t argue with the fact that she was very tired from everything that happened during the day, “Fine. See you tomorrow?”

Taeyeon gave the girl a gentle smile before leaning down and giving a loving peck on the lips, “I will. Good night.”

Feeling a tingle fluttering her stomach from the short kiss, Jessica grinned like an idiot, “Night.” Jessica watched as Taeyeon left her room before collapsing on the bed. She would have loved to fight sleep to enjoy the moment of having Taeyeon around longer, but sleep consumed her quickly.

------------------------------

Taeyeon didn’t have to look long for Yuri as the girl was resting in the room , “Kwon Yuri, what the hell?”

The girl shot up from her bed, “Jessica told you?”

“Of course she told me? But you weren’t supposed to get caught!”

Yuri sighed, “What was I supposed to do? Three guys were surrounding her and Seohyun just left her there! I told you I don’t trust that girl!”

“Jessica can take care of herself. You can’t just intervene when you think there might be a problem. Now Seohyun knows! She will be more careful if she knows level 1 has eyes on her.” Taeyeon said in frustration as she paced the room.

“Don’t worry. I wasn’t caught until that happened. I can trail again.”

“No not you. We are going to place someone that is already on the inside.”

“You know someone in level 6?”

“Of course I know someone that we can trust in level 6...they have been watching Won Bin up until now but we can move their position to watch Seohyun. I don’t trust her around Jessica.”

“What about Jessica? I thought we were to watch her too?”

Taeyeon sighed in frustration, “I trust Jessica...it is Seohyun and Won Bin...”

Yuri stood up to make Taeyeon face her, “I know you have feelings for Jessica but please don’t make things difficult for people like me and Sooyoung to do our job. If level 1 has orders, we are to take them. Orders are to watch out for Jessica too. Don’t get too close to my work Taeyeon...you already took away my chance to get closer to her.”

“If I would have known earlier...” Taeyeon shook her head, “No...let’s not talk about this. I will just forget your assignments. I don’t want to think of Jessica that way...not when we just got together.”

“Not that I am asking or anything but if you do suspect something from Jessica...you should remember where your loyalty lays Taeyeon. Don’t get caught up in your emotions again.”

Taeyeon collapsed onto her bed in frustration, “I know where my loyalty lays...but I trust her...”

 

 

 


Author's Note

So if you don't know, V is from BTS, L is from Infinite, and N is from VIXX. Just a heads up if you don't know boy band member's names ^^