Lies

The Resistance

 

Previously:

Yuri looked around the room wondering if she should tell the others what was going on. Knowing it would be a matter of time before they found out, “Yunho was found.”

Taeyeon sprung to her feet, “I am going too.”

Yuri bit her lip, “I have instructions to take Siwon with me.”

Jessica never before saw the face Taeyeon made at that moment, “Yuri I am not asking your permission. Take me and Siwon to level 1 right now.”

 

Siwon was sweating as the trio arrived into the restrictive section of the Resistance bunker. Several Level 1 operatives watched curiously when they saw Taeyeon arrive with Yuri and Siwon, “Taeyeon you were not to come.”

Taeyeon took her crutches and hobbled over to her superior, “Sir please…let me stay.”

The man looked at Yuri glaring before he sighed and made his way over to the door, “I take it Yuri told you when she had clear orders to keep this confidential.”

“Taeyeon deserved to know…her whole team would have found out soon enough.” Yuri dared not to look at the man she clearly disobeyed.

Taking out a key, the man unlocked the door, “Siwon and Taeyeon come…Yuri you may leave.”

The steel door opened into a dark room where a few more Level 1 operatives were already sitting. Taeyeon found the nearest chair to sit down and Siwon moved over to the seat beside her while the man stood in front, “We will be watching the debrief of Yunho. He was found by our recovery team with a moderate amount of injury. Release of Yunho is unknown so Level 1 is conducting the reevaluation of fitness for Yunho to rejoin the Resistance. Leading the questioning is Tony and Eric as they have the most experience handling interrogations. Discussion will happen after with a vote to reinitiate Yunho after.”

Taeyeon took the paper handed to her as she read it through. It gave the details of Yunho’s location, the medical graph of injuries and a health report. The tears were close to shedding as she read through the report. Whatever the Party did to Yunho, the fact he came out a live was a miracle in itself.

“We will begin.”

The curtain opened and the one-way glass revealed Yunho hooked up to a polygraph as Eric and Tony sat across from the man. Taeyeon could see the sunken eyes staring off to nothing as if Yunho was not in that battered body. It was clear that this was not her strong and supportive leader. Yunho had transformed into another broken down person with little to live for.

“We will start off easy. Just answer truthfully. What is your name?” Eric started the interview.

“Jung Yunho.”

“Age?”

“32 years old.”

Tony jotted down the baseline for the polygraph, “We will start with what you remember after the bomb went off. Just tell us your story.”

Yunho’s voice cracked and was low and husky as he sighed before answering, “I split up from my team. There were soldiers from the Party coming and I thought we could divert them before the injured were captured. I went into a trap and was immediately apprehended.”

“Where were you taken?”

“My eyes were shielded when transported to a holding prison.”

“Did you hear anything on your way to this prison?”

Yunho shook his head, “I felt the van I was transported in hit several bumps as if we left the main road but other than that, there were no sounds of interest.”

Tony continued to ask the questions, “Are you able to explain your life in prison?”

Yunho looked down at his wrists filled with lacerations, “I out for long periods of time. I can’t remember everything.”

Eric held Tony’s wrist signaling he would take over, “How about we skip what the did to you. What were the questions they were demanding you answer?”

Taeyeon clenched her hand over her knee happy that Eric didn’t have Yunho say out loud everything the Party did to him. Knowing first-hand the interrogation techniques the Party used, Taeyeon wasn’t sure she could stay in the room any longer if she heard what Yunho had to endure.

“They were focused on the name of the Resistance leaders. They know we have plants in the Party and want to know who. I think there are some agents that are compromised.”

“You mean Resistance members in the Party?”

“Yes. I am sure if I were to say a name they knew, it would be a test of other information to be true that followed.”

“Are there agents we need to pull?”

“Yes. I am concerned for our younger comrades---I mean members.”

Tony and Eric looked at one another before Tony took over, “Did you state the names of any members of the Resistance, the location of their positions or any relay points the Resistance has?”

“No.” Yunho said with his face straight ahead as if he was talking to the people behind the glass.

“Anything else we need to be concerned about?”

“No.”

Taeyeon leaned forward watching Yunho closely wondering why there was a lingering feeling that he wasn’t being truthful. Taeyeon remembered a look similar to what he was given her now. At the time the situation was dangerous and Taeyeon was scared her team was not going to come out alive. Yunho lied and said they would be okay. That they were not in such danger but he was just giving them hope. Later she found out how close they were to being caught. Yunho didn’t want his team to worry so why is he giving Taeyeon those eyes again?

The man that let Taeyeon in and stepped up to the mic, “Tony and Eric meeting.”

Had he noticed too?

Tony put down his pen as Eric got up, “We will end the briefing here today. Get a good rest Yunho and we will continue tomorrow.”

There were no cuffs or restraints as Yunho was not a patient or prisoner but he walked out with guards as if he was still a potential threat to the Resistance.

All the key leaders of Level one filed out of the interrogation room and to a meeting room next door. Taeyeon got up to follow but Siwon stopped her, “Taeyeon…you can’t.”

“I go into all these meetings.”

“Level 1 only. Let them decide what to do. I won’t go in either.”

Taeyeon held the chair frustrated, “fine.” She never once felt so powerless at this moment waiting for a clear indication of what to do with Yunho. She knew he would have more questioning and the leaders would give him time to come back to the Resistance but Taeyeon felt the irritation of not having Yunho by her side and safe in the confines of their bunker. Here he was just like any other prisoner that passed through the Resistance. Contained in a secret location that they couldn’t get out of and no one would find them.

“Should we go back? I don’t think he will be out any time soon.”

Taeyeon looked over to the closed door hoping it would open but she knew these meetings better than most. A unanimous vote must be met before any decision was made and that was not easy to do.

“Yea…let’s go back. I am sure the rest of the team wants to know.”

Siwon helped Taeyeon with her crutches before opening the door to lead them out. On the other side of the door Yuri stood there as if she was expecting them to come out, “why didn’t you go back?”

Yuri shrugged as she followed the other two out, “I needed to know just like you Taeyeon.”

“Nothing is set. They are talking it over now.”

“Bringing a captured Resistance member back is always hard…it gets even harder when he has been gone so long.”

“Mine wasn’t like this,” Taeyeon said contemplating what made this an even harder decision.

“Yours was different.”

“Why?”

“Level 1 classified but there was more known about your situation than Yunho’s. He basically went away from the face of the earth only to show up months later. There is no way his capture was as simple as being interrogated and that is something Level 1 will have to consider.”

Taeyeon nodded along, “I forgot how smart you are when you are working.”

Yuri gave Taeyeon a hard glare, “I was always smart! I couldn’t have gotten this job without my superior intellect!”

Taeyeon and Siwon both laughed at the thought of Yuri being smarter than them, “your actions away from the job make that a hard statement to believe.”

“Just because you two are boring and act like parents doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be that serious to prove our smartness. Others just like to live life with a bit more flare.”

“Your flare is a bit more unique than others.” Siwon jolted back.

“Yea yea you just don’t know good entertainment. Sooyoung and Yoona appreciate it.”

“You three are like twins. Crazier than most everyone in the Resistance combined.”

“We need some fun around here. Everyone is so serious all the time.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “If you forgot we are kind of fighting a war here.”

Yuri slapped Taeyeon lightly across the shoulder, “And if you just forget about it sometimes you wouldn’t be so moody all the time.”

Taeyeon tried hobbling away faster from her friend but she could only move so fast with her crutches, “I want a different roommate.”

“Aww don’t say that. We get along just fine and I can pass off that positive energy to you.”

“No need. I have to be serious for my work 100% of the time.”

Siwon laughed as he lagged behind the two girls. In fact neither noticed that he split off to go to the boys dorms for the night while the two other squabbled the whole way back to their room. When they made their way in, they were startled to see someone not their other roommate laying in Taeyeon’s bed. Smiling softly, Taeyeon carefully put her crutches to the side and sat on the bed which didn’t wake their sleeping intruder.

Yuri made her way into the room too, “Where is Yoona?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “I don’t know.”

“Should I leave?” Yuri pointed at the door causing Taeyeon to glare back as if her and their guest were to do something PG this late at night.

“Sica…” Taeyeon shook the girl lightly, “wake up…”

Jessica opened her eyes to see Taeyeon hovering over her, “You’re back.”

“Yea. You should have slept in your bed. I would have found you in the morning.”

Jessica scooted over in the bed to let Taeyeon lay beside her, “Mmm but this is better.”

Taeyeon smirked as she tucked Jessica into her arms, “it is.”

“So Yunho is back?”

Taeyeon rubbed her fingers through Jessica’s soft hair, “He is…but…”

Fluttering her eyes open again, Jessica looked up at Taeyeon, “what?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “I don’t know. Tomorrow I will know more. You should sleep.”

Jessica smiled and gave her lover a quick peck on the lips, “night.”

“Night.” Taeyeon whispered as she closed her eyes too.

-------------------------

The next morning was agonizing for Taeyeon. She was useless with the training because of her leg and Jessica wasn’t near her as a distraction because she had work so here she was sitting and watching her team go over strategy missions. There was a new bomb model found and they were going over how to disarm this new style. If anything it was very basic and not particularly something the Party would have made but something some street kid made up from available materials. No matter, the issue didn’t concern Taeyeon. She wanted to be in Level 1 where Yunho’s fate lied. She regretted so much at this moment for not taking up the offer to be in Level 1.

“Taeyeon come here.” Taeyeon was approached by her adoptive father. Not to disobey the man that basically raised her in the Resistance, Taeyeon came over and sat beside him, “I am going into hiding.”

“What?”

“I will be less active with the Resistance from now on.”

“Are you leaving?”

The man shook his head, “I would never…just…I can’t be here. You know in this place. Ever since Jihyen and…”

Taeyeon put her hand on his lap, “I know. I feel like I see them here or expect to hear their voice.”

Wiping away his tears, the man cleared his throat, “Anyway…I am going to go into the civilian sector permanently. I can be useful to the cause there and start anew with what I have left.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I understand.”

“I talked to the others in Level 1 and I think you should come take my place. We all agree that Level 6 isn’t where your most useful.”

Taeyeon looked down and bit her lip, “How could I? You are not talking about just moving up a rank…I would be taking the role of one of the Resistance founders.”

Bending down to his knees the man looked Taeyeon in the eyes, “Although we are not blood, I consider you to be my precious daughter. I trust you the most and if you are going to stay in here, I need one person I can rely on. I won’t always be doing things ordered to me do you understand?”

Taeyeon nodded, “but level 1…I don’t think I can. It would look suspicious to the others in the Resistance if I get too much power at one time. Not everyone knows you are one of the founders and if it gets out that those rumors are true….you could be in great danger.”

The man sighed knowing the girl was right, “How about Jihyen’s place?”

Taeyeon was overcome with sadness with the thought of taking over the role of her late mentor, “I…I…”

“Look. Level 2 is basically like Level 1. You will be included in on most Level 1 meetings and have contact with me because the bomb unit goes above ground without restriction.”

“Do you think I can do well?”

The man laughed, “Of course. You put your heart into everything you do and that is why you are so valuable to the Resistance. No one would ever question your promotion because only you doubt how great you are.”

Taeyeon gave a sad smile before launching herself at the man and giving him a big hug, “I will miss you.”

The man hugged her back, “From now on, you don’t know me. Only come when I call okay?”

Taeyeon nodded into his neck.

Pulling away the man wiped his fingers under Taeyeon’s wet eyes, “don’t you cry. I am not leaving…just going away for a while.”

Taeyeon tried drying up her tears, “I understand. I just feel like…my whole family is going away.”

“No…it is the opposite. You have finally become a woman Taeyeon and you need to take your roles. I will be here supporting you but your time to step up and show your greatness is now.”

Taeyeon jumped when the door flung open and Siwon entered, “Taeyeon I need to see you.”

Holding the wall for support, Taeyeon got up, “Did they decide?”

“Yes but orders have been handed down to have you meet the others for your orders.”

Taeyeon nodded and headed out of the room to Level 1 again. It always took a toll on her body to go up and down through the corridors of the secret room for Level 1 meetings but when she made it there, she was glad to see a cup of water waiting for her and a familiar face, “what are you doing here?”

The man gave her a sad smile, “It seems I can no longer stay hiding.”

“If you are back that means?”

“Yes. We are all in danger.”

Normally seeing her father would be a happy occasion but with him in the Resistance, he was risking his identity, “does Level 1 know everything or is this something I should keep with just you and me?”

“They know.”

Taeyeon gulped, “I see.”

“Taeyeon what I am going to tell you is shocking but we need to act fast or everyone in the Resistance will be dead.”

Taeyeon sighed, “tell me what I need to do.”