Life

The Resistance

“...The Resistance is growing in numbers comrades! Their tyranny has no bounds with the recent killings in Garak Market that has not only taken 12 lives, but has also crippled our economy. With the fire spreading, 46 shops were destroyed. If not for the Party offering fire assistance, more people and shops would have perished! Citizens it up to us to stand strong with the Party and ward off those that oppose!”

Jessica turned to Taecyeon’s father who was listening to Taecyeon intently as he finished up his speech. Many believed that Taecyeon was a born leader with his charismatic looks and linguistics. Looking back up at the stage, Jessica saw Taecyeon shake the hand of the school’s leader before taking his well-earned diploma. For sure Taecyeon was going to contribute to the Party greatly. Everyone thought that, not just Jessica.

 

“Comrade that was a speech worthy of praise!” Jessica looked over to see Hara approaching them with a bright smile as she admired Taecyeon who stood tall.

“Thank you Comrade Goo. Where are you applying to after this?” Hara straightened her gown before looking over to Jessica with apathy.

“Ministry of Defense. I was going to apply with Comrade Jung but since there were some misfortunes, I will still apply alone.” Jessica felt saddened by the fact that she couldn’t fulfill her role for the Party but was glad that Hara was following through with their promise together, “I am sure Comrade Jung will finish her education and join me at a later date.”

Taecyeon smiled, “Comrade Jung has great strength like her father. I am sure she won’t be working for my father for too long although I can tell my father likes her help.”

“Comrade Ok where are you applying? I am sure the Party has already contacted you with offers as you were our class leader.”

Taecyeon rubbed the back of his head shyly, “I have but am not decided. I thought of joining the Ministry of Security so I can be on the front instead of hiding behind the scene in an office like the Ministry of Defense, but I like letting the people know the truth so I thought of working in Ministry of General Affairs for the journal.”

“Why not apply for the Central Party?”

Jessica’s ears perked up with the mention of Taecyeon possibly joining the core of their society, “Why would the Central Party hire a kid like me?”

“You are the only one who thinks that way Comrade.”

Taecyeon laughed at Hara’s confidence in him, “Maybe in a few years time, then. My main goal is to stop the Resistance right now. I want to do all for the Party regarding that matter.”

Jessica saw the fire in Taecyeon’s eyes and she knew that she was missing something at that moment. She had no passion for a specific goal in life. She never once believed that she lived for her father but admired what he did for work and that was why she wanted to work in the same place as him. Now that he was gone, her once strong desire to become part of the Ministry of Defense also disappeared.

“Comrade Jung when are you going back to university?”

Jessica looked at Hara, “The Party will decide my future.” In truth, Jessica did not know if she could advance past being a baker’s assistant since right now, she was merely surviving.

------------------------------

“They are having you leave already?”

Taecyeon didn’t look up from the bag he was packing, “No need to wait. Did you hear of another bomb in the Seocho District? This time 3 people died. I need to be out there to stop this!”

Jessica was not surprised when Taecyeon chose to be one of the leaders for the Ministry of Security. His sense of justice and sense of action grew with every report of a new bombing. “It will be different without you here.”

Taecyeon placed one more shirt in his bag before pulling the zipper, “Just listen to father and don’t stress out in the morning because I can’t be there to help.”

That wasn’t what she was referring to. She liked that the room was going to be all to herself and she will have extra work, but the most painful thing will be not having someone to talk to. Although Taecyeon was basically a walking book about the Party, he was always telling her what her friends were doing and what was going on in school. She didn’t want to just be locked up in the bakery 24/7 with no news of what is really going on in the country and her old life. “Just be safe comrade.”

Taecyeon sat on his bed to smile, “I will do my duty to make sure you are safe. I can’t be harmed if that is my goal in life.”

Jessica knew Taecyeon was strong and dependable like that. She had no reason to worry.

 

Jessica went down to the kitchen after Taecyeon left to see if his father needed some help or if she was free for the night. “Is there something I can help with?”

The old man looked up, “Oh...I don’t believe so. With the market place being attacked last month, we have cut back on sales due to lack of supplies.”

Jessica leaned on the counter, “How much longer do you think it will take to bounce back?”

“I hope soon. We are down 1/3 our usual sales and turning away many people. It doesn’t look good.”

Jessica sighed because she was the one that collected the stamps and turned away the people that looked desperate for their bread. Deciding there was nothing to do, Jessica looked up at the clock and saw there was 2 hours until curfew, “I think I will go out for a bit.”

The older man didn’t even look up as he continued to roll the dough, “Be back before curfew.”

Jessica didn’t need to be told to know that, “I just need some air. It feels hot in here.”

 

Jessica looked around at the river that was almost dried or littered with pollution, “Do you not fear anything?”

Startled, Jessica looked behind her to see someone she hadn’t laid eyes upon in a long time, “You have to have something to lose to fear the loss.”

The girl pushed Jessica to sit back down in her spot on the cement column and joined Jessica by sitting sideways so she could watch Jessica’s side profile, “Nothing to lose? Huh...not even your life?”

Jessica chose to not look at the girl but keep her eyes ahead, “I am not sure if I have a life of my own anymore.”

“Oh I have a feeling this is going to be a deep conversation.”

Jessica snickered before looking at the girl, “you think I am going to really tell you about my problems comrade?”

The girl grimaced at the c-word, “Can you please stop calling me that. Tae-yeon. Taeyeon. Taeyeon...”

“Yea yea! I know your name.”

“I thought I would repeat it since you seemed to have forgotten.”

Jessica continued to stare at the girl with malicious intent, “You made me miss curfew the last time I saw you.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I so did not.”

“If you didn’t pull me into that horrendous place, I would have been home in time.”

“Horrendous? You looked to be having a good time if I remembered.”

Jessica thought about it and did have fond memories of that place but she didn’t want the other girl to know that she enjoyed her time doing something bad, “Your memory is the one with problems.”

Taeyeon leaned back as she watched the girl, “You know...we can always go have fun like that again. I am a fun person like that.”

Jessica turned her attention back to Taeyeon, “I don’t trust you and I said that it wasn’t fun.”

Taeyeon liked that Jessica was being reluctant, almost like she entered a new game, “I promise your time with me, will be enjoyable. So exciting that you will never want to go back to that bakery you called home.”

“Your friend...” Jessica looked down at her fingers, “I saw she was wanted for treason.” Jessica looked up to see Taeyeon raised her brow, “Did you know she was part of the Resistance?”

“If she is. Why did you not turn her in?”

Jessica tried to analyze Taeyeon’s expression but it remained blank, “So you knew?”

Taeyeon sighed as she adjusted her hat, “I asked a question, why didn’t you turn her in? I am sure you can find her again at that warehouse.”

Jessica wondered why she didn’t tell Taecyeon or someone that could take care of the girl, “why won’t you. It seems like you know.”

“She is my friend. I would never do that to a friend even if she is part of the Resistance.”

“But it is the Resistance! They kill people!”

Jessica could see Taeyeon’s expression turn dark, “How do you know it was the Resistance? How do you know they are the ones killing people?”

“Because the Party told us! Also how can it not be? Only they do horrible things like that!”

Taeyeon scoffed, “Is that what they told you? Do you believe everything you are told?”

“Well of course! The Party is good to us and tells us....but it has to be the Resistance. No other group would kill innocents.”

Taeyeon scooted closer to Jessica, “Let me ask you a different question. Say you have a really close friend...I am sure you have one really close friend you trust a lot,” Taecyeon “Well imagine that friend tells you that they are part of the Resistance because they believe in their cause.”

“Insane! He would never...”

“Shh...” Taeyeon placed a finger on Jessica’s lips, “Well say he does. Will you look at him and say ‘he is a killer’ would you think ‘he is helping kill innocents’ when you knew from before that he would never do that? Never once wanted to hurt or take the life of another?”

“Well of course not! Taec...he would never kill people! That is why he is not part of the Resistance!”

“And that is the reason I do not turn my friend in as part of the Resistance.”

Jessica looked straight into the Taeyeon’s dark eyes. For some reason, Jessica saw the strength and truth in her words.

Taeyeon stood up, “I told you this was going to be a very deep conversation and here I was trying to get some fresh air to feel lighter. Yet I feel so much heavier.” Jessica looked up at the girl who completely removed her hat to reveal that she had her black hair tied back but that only made her stunning jawline accentuate in the moonlight. There was no denying the fact that Jessica was gawking at the mysterious girl that just talked nonsense to her, “Since you are making me feel this way, you have to make it up to me.”

“W-what?” Jessica stood up to back away from the girl a bit, “I-am leaving.”

Taeyeon smirked as she walked closer to Jessica, “No. You are coming with me.”

Jessica was going to back away again but she didn’t realize how close she was to the edge of the river and was about to slip and fall in, but Taeyeon quickly reached for her arm to pull Jessica into her. The warm body flushed against her, made her eyes widen at the close proximity. Never before had another person been so close to her other than family.

“Careful.” Jessica was at a loss for words when the warm breath hit her ear, “Let’s go.”

Jessica couldn’t say much as Taeyeon interlaced their hands to leave the river. Another protest was going to escape from Jessica’s mouth but it didn’t. Nothing came out as she followed behind the girl that kept a firm grip on her hand. Jessica didn’t want to think that she was following the girl willingly but that was what she was doing. She was blindly going towards a place of unknowns and uncertainties.Then again...that is life.

 

 

 


Author's Note

So what kind of life should Jessica have? Is it okay for her to go with Taeyoen or stay with Taecyeon's father?

Please leave comments!!