The Good and Bad: Part II

The Resistance

A belt cracked against skin causing a strangled cry echo in the cement room, “Speak!” the man demanded as he let the belt hang from his hand but as the girl gave him no response, he cracked the belt once again reddened skin, “we know you are Resistance.” The man moved from behind the girl, who was tethered to the ceiling by her wrists, “This could stop if you just tell me what you know.”

Reaching up to clear the damp hair from the girl’s porcelain skin, he looked her in the eyes which were only slitted open due to exhaustion, “Such a pity...you are so pretty.” As his hands ghost over her face she looked away causing the man to slap her hard, “you won’t be much to look at soon.”

The man was going to continue his beating but he halted as the metal door opened and the sounds of heals echoed in the room, “Get out.” Clearly an older woman entered and from her tone and the obedience from the muscular man, she must have a lot of power in the Party. The girl chained up knew the torcher was a build up for this...the real interrogation was going to start.

“Cut her down.”

A knife swiftly severed the rope causing the girl to fall hard onto the floor into a fetal position. The man then forced the girl to sit onto a chair before securing her hands behind. She was weak from maybe days of sleepless nights, food she refused to eat and beatings.

“I know a lot about you Kim Taeyeon.”

Shocked to hear her name, Taeyeon felt a chill go down her spine as the woman was clearly a high up Party member. Needing to see her face, Taeyeon dared to look up at the woman in a pressed suit, glasses and black stockings.  Maybe in her forties, but the woman looked to be wiser beyond her years with those sharp eyes.

“The Resistance claims to be a secret organization yet I have a binder full of names,” the woman said as she patted the folder on her lap, “Your name happens to be in there as well.”

Taeyeon couldn’t help but to examine the woman and her mannerisms. She was overly confident.

“I am sure you are wondering why you are down here to speak about the Resistance when we already know your name and involvement?” Tapping on the folder, the woman decided to stand up and approach the girl bound in the chair, “We know you have relations with one of the leaders...” The woman trailed off as she bent down to be at eye level with Taeyeon who continued to challenge the woman with her eyes, “We just need a name and you can go.”

Taeyeon could only laugh at the request, “What makes you think a lowly member like me would have any connections like that?”

The woman lifted her upper lip into a smirk before roughly grasping Taeyeon’s face and baring her nails into soft cheeks, “Don’t play dumb with me.” Abruptly standing up, the woman went to her folder and pulled out some folders to show Taeyeon, “You know this girl right?”

Taeyeon sighed as she looked at a very familiar face.

“Ok Jihyen...you seem close to her.” The woman said as she pulled her chair closer to Taeyeon before sitting down and shifting forward, close enough that Taeyeon could smell the mint on her breath, “Why would you be so close to someone so high in the Resistance?” Seeing that Taeyeon wasn’t talking, the woman made sure Taeyeon saw her devilish smirk, “were you sad when we killed her? We were aiming to get more of the Resistance rats but taking out Ok Jihyen...”

Taeyeon spat at the woman’s face causing the woman to slap Taeyeon on the reddened cheek the man hit her before.

Taking out a handkerchief, the woman wiped the spit off her face, “It seems you do know her.” Once again, grabbing Taeyeon’s face and squeezing until Taeyeon hissed in pain, “You will talk.” Standing straight, the woman knocked on the door for it to open, “continue until she gives me a name.” The heals retreated from the room until Taeyeon couldn’t hear the tapping anymore.

Then a rough push put Taeyeon face first onto the cold ground as she was freed from the chair, “Remember, only one name and this stops.” Taeyeon hissed in pain as the belt connected once again with her back.

------------------------------

Taeyeon opened her eyes once again to the darkness. She lost track of which day it was, how many hours passed, or if it was day or night. She only knew that when her eyes closed or opened, she was always in the windowless room that stripped her from any outside interaction.

The creaky hinge of the metal door squeaked as it opened and a shirt was thrown in, “change.” Taeyeon looked at the grey shirt before taking off the torn one she had on her body. The new shirt filled her with warmth that she was so desperate to have for however long she was in her cell but the coldness slapped onto her wrist reminded her that she was still a prisoner, “come.”

Not having much strength to resist, Taeyeon allowed the person to push her out of the cell and into a hall but just as she saw the outside, a cloth covered her head. Once again she was in darkness.

She stumbled through the halls as she was led somewhere. However, leaving the cell made Taeyeon even more worried. Somehow she knew that if she remained in that cell, she would be safe but a sudden transition like this could only mean one thing. Another Resistance member was to die. If Taeyeon wouldn’t give the answers, they should just get rid of the useless one and focus on another.

“Stand here.”

Taeyeon hunched as she stood in place but as the minutes passed, Taeyeon wondered what was going to happen. She thought metal would already be filling her chest from a firing squad or something like that but she just stood there with the silence. With another minute passed, Taeyeon grew curious enough to lift her arms and push off the cloth covering her head.

The light blinded Taeyeon’s eyes as the sunshine shocked her dilated pupils. Allowing a minute for her eyes to adjust to the light, Taeyeon could finally see. She could see that there was a brick wall behind her but no one around her...she was alone. Still taking in her surroundings, Taeyeon was confused but she had only one option...run.

Although she was lacking strength, her arms still bound, and her body felt like it was being torn to pieces, Taeyeon ran. She ran as far as she could until her body collapsed onto the barren street. Having spent all her energy, Taeyeon out.

----------------------------

Yuri and Yoona rushed into the infirmary, “You found her?”

The doctor pointed to the bed, “Level 3 was out and they found her.” Yuri and Yoona were going to approach the bed but the doctor stopped her, “We have her heavily sedated. Honestly I have no idea why she is still alive after all the injuries and malnutrition, but we won’t allow visitors right now.”

Yuri looked over the doctor to see her friend sleeping, “W-what did they do to her?” Seeing the doctor look away, Yuri knew it wasn’t anything good, “She was tortured right?”

 The doctor sighed as she led Yuri and Yoona to sit, “Her back was nearly ripped of all its skin...that was the most damage since we are afraid she might have an infection near her spine. If the infection spreads into her bones, she could be paralyzed or die.”

Yuri gasped as she went to tightly hold onto Yoona.

“We are watching her day and night to see if it gets worse. We also gave her a feeding tube because it seems she hasn’t eaten for maybe 3-4 days. If she did, it wasn’t much at a time because her weight has dropped and her muscles look to be slowly deteriorating...”

“Umm how did she get out?”

The doctor stood up, “I am only here to treat a very sick patient. You could ask the level 3 team that found her. Maybe they know?”

Yuri and Yoona stood up, “Thank you doctor. Please look after Taeyeon well.”

Taking their leave, Yoona nearly collapsed as they left the room, “Are you ok?”

Yoona looked up at Yuri with teary eyes, “It was our fault right? We could have done more.”

Yuri went down to caress Yoona’s back to calm the girl down, “No. Taeyeon wanted it this way. We would have all been caught.”

Yoona brushed the tears from her eyes, “I feel so useless...”

Yuri laughed, “You are anything but useless...” pulling the girl closer, Yuri embraced the girl until the tears stopped.

-----------------------------------

Eyes slowly opened as she saw the light above her shine into her eyes. She tried to make a sound but something was in blocking any noise.

The doctor quickly rushed over as she saw Taeyeon moving around, “Taeyeon calm down. You are safe. I am going to remove the tube okay?”

Tears dripped down the side of Taeyeon’s eyes as the plastic was removed from , “Ehh...”

The doctor patted Taeyeon’s head, “I will get you some water...your throat might be sore for a while since that tube was in you for 2 weeks.”

2 weeks? Taeyeon looked up at the doctor wanting to ask a bunch of questions like why is she back in the Resistance, but the words escaped her as she only made subtle moans and groans. When the doctor came back, she was readjusted with the help of nurses so she could sip the water comfortably.

“Your voice will come back. I know you have questions right now but give yourself some time.” Taeyeon nodded as she watched the doctor adjust her pillows, “your friends Yuri and Yoona come here nearly every day so I am sure they will be here soon.”

Taeyeon smiled at the mention of her friends being safe.

---------------------------------------

The last place Taeyeon wanted to be was sitting in an empty room waiting for an examiner to come through the doors. The room reminded her of the apparent 5 days she was locked in a Party prison, at least now she knows the door is unlocked and ropes didn’t confine her wrists although she could still feel the binding ghosting her wrists.

The door finally opened and a man walked in, “Hello Taeyeon.”

Knowing the man that sat across from her, Taeyeon smiled, “I didn’t think you would be doing the examination?”

“I was part of the group that rescued you...the Resistance also thought a familiar face is something you need the most now.”

Taeyeon laughed, “Thanks Seven.”

Shuffling the papers, Seven cleared his throat, “I am going to tell you what we saw and then you can work backwards from there with me okay?”

Clasping her fingers together in front of her, Taeyeon sat straight, “Ok.”

“You were found in an abandoned district. We were there for rescue of survivors since the Party cleared that area out 3 weeks ago...meaning 1 week before you were found. You were found unconscious by one of my men. When we knew it was you, we brought you back immediately to get treatment. Can you tell me how you got there?”

Taeyeon told her story with how she ran out, the abandoned hallway, the mysterious Party woman, the man with the belt, and how she was brought to her knees in surrender.

“I see.” Seven finished writing down the details, “You did good Taeyeon...stuck to the training I see.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I would do anything to protect the identities of the founders.”

“You know all of them?” Seven looked up in curiosity.

“I know two...I still don’t know the one that has been planted in the Party.”

“Don’t you think that is just a rumor? How could we have a founding Resistance member stay in the Party without getting caught by now?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “He was probably put there for that reason...he wouldn’t get caught.”

Seven leaned forward, “I thought it was a woman? One of the founders is a woman.”

Taeyeon looked up in shocked, “A woman? Are you sure?”

Seven nodded, “The founders may be a mystery to me but I am sure one is a woman.”

Leaning back in her chair, Taeyeon looked up at the ceiling, “I wish I could meet her...she sounds like a strong person.”

Seven shrugged, “One day I am sure.”

 

~Present~

“Wow...but you are okay now?” Jessica said as she looked at Taeyeon in concern.

Taeyeon laughed, “Of course. As you can see, I am healthy.”

“Wait...I still don’t understand why the Party let you go?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “I assumed someone from the Resistance let me go. I told you that we have many on the inside.”

“Wouldn’t that put them at risk if they free all confined Resistance members they get?”

Taeyeon rubbed her chin, “Maybe I was worth the risk? I am a commodity you know.”

Jessica smacked Taeyeon’s hand playfully, “You are to me...but other than that...”

Taeyeon started pouting, “I am a gem! The Resistance couldn’t run without me!”

Laughing, Jessica squeezed Taeyeon’s hand, “Then you have to stick to my side so I can make sure you are safe at all times. I should help protect the gem of the Resistance.”

“But it is my job to protect you?”

Jessica stood up from her seat as Taeyeon followed, “I am not as valuable as you.”

Stepping forward, Taeyeon embraced Jessica in a back hug, “but you are the most precious thing to me.”

“Even more than the Resistance?”

Taeyeon released Jessica from her embrace to interlace fingers, “How could you even question that?”

Jessica looked down sad as the two walked towards level 6, “Sorry...”

Taeyeon side eyed Jessica as she snickered, “Sorry about what?”

“I know the Resistance is very important to you...”

Stopping, Taeyeon turned to face Jessica and cup her face, “No human life should be compared to an idea...or belief because every human life is more precious than that. You also have a very special place in my heart so right now, you are the most important thing to me.” Leaning forward, Taeyeon placed a chaste kiss on Jessica’s lips, “I hope I am like that for you too.”

Jessica smiled as she whispered, “How could you even question that?”

 

 

 

 


Author's Note

Ah your author is usually not so busy but the last week almost killed me...oh well I am back now to do story updates ^^

Thanks for the 500 subscribers!!! 

Questions or comments? Don't hesitate to ask if you are getting confused.