27.

He who longs the sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They struggled in the tunnel, trying to move as fast as their limbs could take them. Fear was clouding their heart but hand in hand, they stole peek at each other; regaining what was left of their courage to move forward. A forced, heartfelt smile filled the tunnel with warmth. Hope. Then slowly, she saw moonlight breaking into the crevices of the muddy path, a slight glimmer that had rested her thundering heart. Hwanuk halted, and slowly he breathed.

“We made it.” he said, looking outside the tunnel while the coldness of the night streamed out from his mouth. It was so cold. 

 

Hawol walked out carefully, looking out into the sky then slowly the ground. It was a forest, a deep condensed forest shaded by tall, century old trees. It was pitch black but yet her eyes managed to capture the slight glimmer of the moon. It helped her to navigate around the bushes, seeing her steps in the shades and shadows. Hwanuk would lift her up sometimes, whenever he saw her struggling. Passing knowing gazes among each other as they went further into the trees, the dark barely lit path. A new pain had grew inside his supple heart, a pain that poked him like needles. An uneasiness in his throat whenever he looked back, watching Hawol following quietly,  without a single doubt. She followed him everywhere, anywhere that he would take her. 

 

And that broke his heart. Because how far could he go without hurting her? Without taking her away from the world she belonged in?

They were so lost, but where could he take her? 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter