1.

He who longs the sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Honey, are you going out to buy bread again?” the middle aged woman frowned, watching her daughter spraying sunblock on the sides of her ankles up to the thighs. She clicked her tongue at the young lady’s outfit, completely disapproved. But then, she turned around and started to continue her violent lashes on top of the canvas. “Eo eomma, I’m just buying a few more. The chef said there are new pastries today at his place, so I’m just stopping by to see what he made.” The young lady grinned at her worried mother as her hand gleefully tied the laces on her boots. “Whatever, Hawol-ah. Just be back before sundown okay.” Her mother refuses to look back and spoke to her coldly as the younger sneered while double-checking her backpack for supplies.

 

“Wae~ are you worried that some monster gonna kidnap your pretty daughter?” she taunted.

 

The elder did not seem to bother with the tease as she turned around and held Hawol’s arm. “Yes, there are monsters here my dear. And this is not a joke. Promise me you’ll be safe?” the thirty something woman stared into her daughter’s eyes, pleading for her to understand.

“Okay mom. Back.Before.Sundown”

Hawol spelled out the magic words to her mother and like always, as if it was real, she could see a glimpse of relief within her mother’s eyes. A sense of security triggered the moment she made clear that she understood the rules.

 

Manarola, Italy. She whispered to herself, looking out the breathtaking view of the wide ocean just a few feet below this hill she was on. It was all like a dream, the fact that she was so far away from Seoul and how she was forced to stay with her mother that she had only met a few weeks ago. She never hated her, but the awkwardness often drew her out of the house. She counted her steps, wiping the dampness on her forehead as the brazing sun slit into her skin. It was so different from the common coldness she felt back home, everything was warmer here. But on the bright side, everyone welcomed her. She never felt so much at home.

“Haa~ this is such an awesome place dad. I love it.” Tears gleamed subtly within her young eyes; there was this distinct soreness in her heart that she could never really recognize.

 

She strolled down the street alone, smiling brightly at the friendly faces that often saw her around. Then after a few steps, she reached a beautiful pastel green house by the closing gate of the town. “Oppa? Anyone?” she called as the door creaked open and ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter