Eight (Almost Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Note: This is the start of the second part of the series: Almost Complete. I didn't follow the original chapter count so it will be easier for me to keep track of my updates. Thanks for the comments!!! :)

 

 

Almost Complete

 

CHAPTER EIGHT

 

Yong Hwa closed his eyes for a moment and listened to the pitter-patter sound of the water as they touched the surface of the umbrella. Opening them once again, he raised his hand and let some spring rain drop on his open palm. Smiling to himself, he looked at a distance.

It seemed like yesterday.

Around a corner was a bus stop sign were he stood that fateful afternoon. He just came from a cafe after meeting his bandmates back in high school. Much to his disappointment, it started snowing a little heavier than when he left. He brushed his hands together and blew some air as if it could help lessen the cold but to no avail. He looked up straight ahead and noticed a girl-- a woman, holding a pink umbrella and looking on both sides getting ready to cross the street.

She appeared perfectly secured from the cold and snow. A muffler hugged her neck as she raised her umbrella higher to get a better view ahead of her as her ponytailed hair fluttered shyly behind at her every movement. Her cheeks were almost like that of a cottoncandy as the cold breeze kissed them both. 

She looked pretty.

He was staring and he knew that he was. Anyway, no one would give someone like her a passing glance. Only when she started taking quick steps on the street that he looked away pretending to be oblivious of her presence. 

To his surprise, she stopped a few steps away from him and handed her umbrella. The suddenness left him struggling for something to say but he remained maim. Perplexed more when he took the outstretched object in front of him, slightly brushing his gloved hand to hers.

“I'm just a block away from here so you can take it.”

With that, she took off, sprinting and slightly running with only her arms used to cover her head from the soft falling snow. Then she disappeared from that corner.

“Oppa!”

Her cheery voice snapped him back to present so he looked up and saw her waving at him outside the lobby. Yong Hwa then crossed the street smiling by the surprise written all over her face.

“My umbrella!” She beamed when he finally got to where she stood. 

“It's mine!” He pouted playfully but it did not falter her grin, “A pretty lady gave it to me.”

“A kind lady,” she snapped. Taking it again, she inspected the object totally fascinated that it was still with him. It has been a long time and she never thought she would see it again. The umbrella was sort of memorable for her since she bought it that very same day when the snow suddenly fell, not knowing she would only be using it for a short moment.

She battled with herself that time if she should really give up her new purchase for some stranger but the way he looked really made her feel bad for him. If she did go home with her umbrella, her conscience would surely eat her up.

“Okay, a kind lady...” he nodded just to appease her, “So? Ready, kind lady?”

She nodded with a smile, “Let's go...”

After the day she agreed to indefinitely extend his contract with her, he decided to take things slow between them. Besides, it was her first attempt on the romance division of her life so Yong Hwa thought it best for him to be a little patient. Almost every day, if his schedule permits, he would take her to school. Almost all afternoons, too, they would go anywhere they wanted but mostly to the park riding their bikes or just lazying around. 

He wanted to make sure he was already part of her daily routines that if she decided not to be his girlfriend, then she would surely feel the void. 

He smiled to himself as they took the bus. It would be raining some mornings so they would skip his motorcycle and go for the public transport. As soon as Seo Hyun took her seat, she pulled a book from her knapsack and started leafing through it.

“You should stop reading while the bus is moving, Hyun,” he uttered calmly.

“I have a recitation exam today,” she pouted with her face still on the book.

“What were you doing last night?”

“Studying.”

“Then it should be enough.”

“Unless the test is finished.”

“Arasso...” he smiled to himself. She could be so stubborn sometimes and he would regret sparking those kinds of conversation since he knew he would just let her win. He sat silently as she continued to read.

One of these days, he would finally confirm his relationship to her. 

“What is it?”

She suddenly asked and he realized that he was fixated on her again, “Oh nothing. Hyun, we have a meeting at the station this afternoon so I can't pick you up. Will you be okay?”

Seo Hyun nodded unaffectedly, “I need to stay at the library tonight too, since the midterm is coming.”

“Tonight? Till what time?” He mentally checked his schedule. He has a meeting at four right after school and, by the looks of it, they would finish for about three hours. And he has the nine o'clock show but he needed to be there an hour early. So he has two hours to spare, “Maybe I could pick you up.”

“Oh no, it's okay, my study partner lives in the same apartment building as I am, so we can go home together.” She closed her book and deposited inside her bag since they were near the University.

“Your study partner is Yoona.”

“Yoona is not my classmate on that class, so no,” she smiled sweetly sensing his serious expression, “It's okay Oppa, he has been our friend way back.”

HE!? What could make him feel better than a HE? “He seemed to be a nice guy then,” he smirked hiding his disgust.

“Oh, yes he is!” She beamed and pushed some strands of wandering hair back. “I will introduce him to you one of these days, he really wants to meet you too.”

“You told him about me?” He tried to push aside that proud smile, “What did you say?”

“Oh, just the usual stuff...” she shrugged then turned ahead when the vehicle stopped, “We're here...”

Seo Hyun walked ahead of him while he whimpered to himself. Until when is she going to play blind on his intentions to her? And now a guy-- another man? Yong Hwa shook his head and followed her until they got to the main gate. The rain has subsided to tiny drizzle that could only be felt from in wind.

“Here,” he handed her the closed umbrella, “You can borrow this. Just in case your 'nice friend' doesn't have one.”

She bit her lower lip to stop herself from grinning with that face he was wearing, “Araseoyo, Oppa.”

“But I will still send you message if I could come by.”

“No need, really. I can take care of myself.”

“I know that but--”

“Go...” she but smiled when he eyed her suspiciously. Seo Hyun gave him a little push, “Just go... go...”

“Arasso...” he said in surrender. He watched her move ahead waving the umbrella in the air and started taking the steps to her department's building. She is a child. She may be a strong-willed woman but that little girl is still hidden deep inside her. Knowing her story, he could tell how much she is still hurting despite how she poses herself as a care-free person.

Yong Hwa was about to head his way when she ce again and playfully wrinkled her nose to see him on the same spot. He raised his hand and finally walked away. Perhaps, his stint has taken its toll on him. Playing as a DJ for the nine to eleven o'clock slot demands him to be more of a romantic guy. Although he doesn't really consider himself as one, but lately he could tell that he is. Especially with her.

Suddenly, it felt like he has been given this beautiful chance to take a glimpse of tomorrow. Like his future is tied to hers. It may sound sappy but it's the truth. He could not deny that most

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter