Thirty Eight (Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 38. A Promise To Keep

 

 

I've loved you forever,

In lifetimes before

~This I Promise You (NSYNC)

 

 

Seo Hyun put her palms on her chest and unconsciously counted the throbbing of her heart. How could she be so stupid to think and assume that he was getting married? Was there any moment that he deliberately made her feel that way? She should be dropping the bomb, not him, “Aigooo...” she snorted. Hugging herself, she stared deep into the sky and wondered where the stars hid. It was chilly out there but it was better as she felt that she was being choked inside. Analyzing the situation was the hardest thing that came into her mind so she decided to—

 

“Hi...”

 

She almost jumped at his sudden appearance behind her, “H-hi...” That was all she managed to say as he walked closer to her and stood just an inch away.

 

Yong Hwa placed both hands inside his pants pocket and turned to her slightly, “Ju Hyun-ssi, did I say something to upset you? I'm sorry if—”

 

She shook her head without looking at him. Why does he need to go out and make it harder for her? “No, it's me who should say sorry for leaving you there...”

 

“It's okay...” he smiled to himself as Seo Hyun stayed focused into the solemn darkness. Clearing his throat, he attempted to make the situation less tensed, “Wow, it's breezier here...”

 

She puckered her lips and nodded still keeping a straight attention in front of them. Part of her was screaming to start 'dropping the bomb' but another was too skittish with the idea. Not until she has a single thought, she would be doing it.

 

Yong Hwa was watching her silently. Her constant thumbing of her hair to the side, the way her lips pouted slightly, then her gentle caresses on her arm that was telling him she might be feeling the cold— those were the scenes that used to be part of his memory and imagination.

 

“The sky is beautiful...” she broke the silence and her voice blended with the faint music playing in the background. The rhythmic pulsation in her chest was still making her feel weak as the cause of it stood beside her as if muted by the same wonder she was feeling. Suddenly, she felt his hand taking her arm that she was lightly whirled towards him. The warmness of his palm sent both comfort and uneasiness to her cold skin and that tenderness his eyes were wearing was making her dizzier than ever.

 

Without words he leaned closer slipping his touch from her arm down to her hand as the other settled under her chin to guide her towards him. Gently, as the world went on spinning around them, Yong Hwa laid his lips on hers. She closed her eyes and let the magic take over. He intertwined their fingers tightening his grip on the process as other hand gently s down the small of her back to pull her closer.

 

It was a slow and mellow kiss as if it was just another contact they were too used to doing. The feeling was so right as they lingered on to each other’s lips with eyes closed and bodies glued together. It was more like a dance as they matched the pace of the music across the hall with the cold night breeze encouraging them to get warm. The moon above glimmered and reflected on that man-made pond as their own were mirrored in broken streams for the wind was blowing steadily.

 

It was a perfect night.

 

It was their perfect night.

 

Yong Hwa slowly ended the kiss with a one peck on her lips while she opened her eyes still disoriented with what just happened. He smiled as he carefully thumbed the corner of her lips while she wore the same expression. Suddenly, she let out a soft laugh and shook her head when he playfully glowered at her. “What?” he finally muttered with a little frown but she reached out to touch his lips.

 

“You have pink lips now, Director Jung,” she wiped the traces of color off his lips as he continued to watch her silently that it was giving her chills. Just as she was about to get it all done, he started to bend again but she gently pushed him using her forefinger on his lips. He was getting greedy alright so she giggled, “No, pink isn't really your color and we don't want more of it on your lips, do we?”

 

He could do nothing but to laugh and run a hand on his hair as she slowly took a step back, “Arasso, arasso...” Why does she need to kill the moment that way? Yong Hwa nodded but took her wrist again to plant one last kiss on her forehead then whispered, “I think we should go back before Nuna organizes a search party for us.”

 

Seo Hyun nodded as he held out his hand for her. They walked hand-in-hand back to the hall like how it should always be. As they neared the door, Yong Hwa lightly slipped his hand off hers but linked his pinky on hers that they were more like holding on to a promise. A promise that doesn't really need words to it. A promise that only them could understand despite the silence. He let her hand go and both walked to the opposite direction. He, going towards the other end, while she trailed back to her company but both looking back at each other with that secret smile.

 

~~~

 

There were a lot of dancing inside the hall but she resigned on her seat obviously looking bored. Oddly, her brother and Seo Hyun seemed to have disappeared at the same time and it would be good if they were together. The night is beautiful and it was made for lovers. As for her, she could do nothing but to let her eyes wander all around her. It has been a long time since she has been home. Yes, she still considered Korea as her home although they have been living abroad for years. The thought made her miss her husband. If not for that emergency business meeting he needed to attend, he would have been with her now and they would probably be dancing together.

 

Forcing a smile, she sat up straight and ran a hand on her belly. The doctor told her to avoid sad and stressful thoughts. If not for that entry she found on Hyun Joong's journal she wouldn't have known of her step-father's heart attack. At first, he was telling her that it was just a note reminding himself to call the hospital if Yong Hwa wouldn't call him back but after much probing, he finally gave in and told her what happened.

 

She called her brother right away and was convinced that their dad was okay and it was a bonus to know that Seo Hyun had finally dealt with her problem with her father already. All along, she knew Yong Hwa has been planning something to get her to see her father again. She smiled remembering those two. Things were less complicated for them now. Maybe one of these days she could sit with Seo Hyun and her mom and tell them what she knew. At least, acceptance and forgiveness came from them first and was not forcefully given.

 

Finally, everything was okay. Fany knew that those two were really meant for each other. She could not really take credit of the fact that they got together because of her but she was dying to give herself a pat for a job well-done. By the looks of it, the two are on their way to happily-ever-after. But all those love thoughts were kind of making her feel sad. If only her own prince charming was beside her then it would be sweeter.

 

“I see you're thinking about me...”

 

The voice made her turn and found her husband standing behind her. Grinning, she motioned for him to take a seat after they shared a kiss, “I thought you'll be here next week! What happened to the business meeting?”

 

“It seems like you don't want me here,” Hyun Joong snorted so Fany shook her head and drew a soft giggle while planting another kiss on his lips. Rolling his eyes, he continued seriously, “I asked hyung to take over. Omma said it was not a good idea making you travel alone in this condition,” Hyun Joong touched her cheek with a smile, “And, of course, I miss you and our little fetus. Happy now?”

 

“Uh-huh! You have a way with words, mister...” she pouted and locked her hand on his, “And I miss you and so does our little fetus.”

 

He laughed by how his wife mimicked his voice. “By the way, where's Yong Hwa?”

 

“I was looking for him too, must be out somewhere kissing someone,” she winked.

 

“Aigooo... I thought the mission was put on hold while we are still pregnant?”

 

Tiffany giggled and playfully slapped his cheek, “Well, maybe my little brother is making his own mission relative to mine.” She was all hyper again and could not wait to go home.

 

“Ahhh... I see. I really must meet my future sister-in-law.”

 

“Yes, you will but for now, I feel like dancing!” she stood and took his hand but Hyun Joong pouted, “Ya, come on! The little fetus wanna dance!”

 

“Ya, it was only two hours since I walked out of the airport,” he complained, “My legs are not really on their best mood right now...”

 

“Ya...” she made her eyes a little smaller trying her best to look upset, “Just because I look like a whale you are embarrassed to be seen with me? Don't you dare forget you did this!”

 

“I'm not say-- oh heck! Come on, let's just get this over and done with,” he listlessly said as Fany kissed him on the cheek. It was really his fault anyway.

 

~~~

 

“Where have you been?” Hyo Yeon pried as the younger girl was wearing that incomprehensible smile, fanning herself gently, “You suddenly disappeared. You were just dancing with— wait a minute, tell me the truth!”

 

“Unnie, I'm hungry. Can we go get some food now?” Seo Hyun said innocently but her Unnie maintained that nosy expression.

 

“Ya! Where did you two go?”

 

Twitching her lips to the side, she knew that she'll never get away if ever she tries to circumvent the issue so she responded in a controlled voice, “I guess you will not believe whatever I will say, so yeah, we went out to get some fresh air.”

 

“And then what happened?! Come on, tell me! We're team here, right?”

 

She obviously failed as Hyo Yeon's eyes appeared to have brightened more on that attempt, “Aigoo, Unnie... nothing happened, we just talked. That's it.”

 

“Talk?” Hyo Yeon slipped her arm on her and whispered playfully, “Like what about?”

 

“Hmmm... he told me that Shin Hye-ssi is not his girlfriend, or fiancée for that matter. But his friend's and he is just helping them since he is still in the military.” Seo Hyun supplied hoping it would satisfy her. She could never divulge the details especially she, herself, could still not get over the highlight of that encounter. She sighed, “That's it.”

 

“Oh my gosh! Wow! So you and him are back in each other's arms?”

 

“Unnie!” Her eyes widened maybe because that was exactly she was wondering awhile ago after they parted but she shook her head indignantly, “No, we're not. I don't know, really. I'm just so surprised and I feel very, very stupid that I was crying for all the wrong reasons. Aigooo, Unnie... it was so embarrassing!”

 

“But stop thinking about that embarrassing thing!” she lectured, “You should start thinking about getting back together!”

 

“Ottoke…” Seo Hyun wanted to cry as she brushed her hands together. Just thinking about it makes her very nervous.

 

“I can still see how much you are into each other,” Hyo Yeon nodded softly.

 

“Yeah, I guess I never stopped loving him— no, I'm sure I never stopped loving him. Maybe I should just walk right into him like right now and tell him that.”

 

“Then why don't you?” Hyo Yeon suddenly laughed then turned whimsical, “No, wait. Since we are just so sure here what he means to you then why not play hard-to-get?”

 

“What?”

 

“I mean, obviously he was thinking that you were assuming him and Shin Hye but he never corrected you before—”

 

“Because I never asked,” Seo Hyun stated firmly.

 

“But still, he should have laid the cards despite how you were not so friendly with each other before.”

 

Her Hyo Yeon Unnie appeared determined to see her proposal being considered, “So you are suggesting...?”

 

“Let him woo you again. Wouldn't it feel nice to be like sixteen or eighteen all over again?”

 

Although it was enticing, she was not sure if she was up for that kind of challenge. Besides, why complicate things? With those thoughts, she shook her head and pointed out, “But I guess we have wasted a good deal of years already to go on that process.”

 

“But of course! But it's not another wasting moment, you know? It's the same as spending time with him again but it's more like reliving how you actually fell in love with him.”

 

Seo Hyun pondered on for a moment. Maybe she was right, it was more a turning point. A smile escaped her lips so she nodded, “But I will not do this just because I want to be wooed but I want to teach him a little lesson for not setting things straight about him and Shin Hye-ssi.”

 

Hyo Yeon raised a closed fist to cheer on her, “Yeah! That's the spirit!”

 

She laughed for she just became her friend's choding subject. It was exciting for her too but she shook her head pretending that she was not ecstatic at all. Just as she was about to say something, the older girl puckered her lips forward so she raised her brows in question.

 

“Don't turn.” Hyo Yeon advised with constrained voice, “He's on his way here. Remember, don't appear like you are crazy about him.”

 

Her eyes widened not only because of what she said but more so because of the way Hyo Yeon hid a grin that she actually stiffened, “Aigoooo...” Seo Hyun squinted her eyes tight then fluttered them open when he slightly cleared his throat from behind. She took a step closing her gap with Hyo Yeon and laced her arm on hers as if asking for support.

 

“Hi...” Yong Hwa started pretending not to notice her flushed face then slightly acknowledged the shorter girl next to Seo Hyun

 

“Director Jung,” Hyo Yeon grinned obviously keeping something as Seo Hyun just timidly gave him a muted smile.

 

“I was just wondering if you have a ride home...” he asked in a mildly curt manner. It did not escape him how Manager Kim seemed to tell Seo Hyun something as the two exchanged a smile. They appeared to be keeping a discreet attention on each other but he chose to ignore it.

 

Seo Hyun finally shook her head but maintained that timid smile, “I'm so sorry but I promised Manager Kim that I'll be riding with her.”

 

“Ahhh...” he muttered dryly fairly unconvinced then turned to Hyo Yeon, “Ms. Kim, if it's—”

 

“Oh, Director I'm so sorry but we need to go somewhere after this.” Seo Hyun interjected for she knew what he will say and tugged her unnie to back her up.

 

“Ahh yes, it's my... cousin's birthday!” Hyo Yeon exclaimed with a soft laugh and looked at her again, “Yes, my cousin's birthday... we kind of promised her that we will be there, right Ms. Seo?”'

“Uhm, yes.”

 

Yong Hwa maintained a straight face although feeling discomfited. “Your cousin is a girl, I suppose?” He blurted out without much thought.

 

“Oh yes...” she nodded nervously as her unnie seemed to have lost her power to speak obviously surprised by how random his question was. Seo Hyun stressed further trying to sound enthusiastic, “Her cousin is a girl and it's a girl's party!”

 

“Oh...” placing a hand on his nape, realization suddenly snapped at him so he decided to just make his graceful exit before he embarrassed himself some more, “Okay then, so maybe I'll just see you around.”

 

“Hmmm... yes...” Seo Hyun finally smiled feeling relieved as he started to walk away from them. She heaved deeply but almost laughed when her unnie called back at him.

 

“And I'll see you around too, Director Jung,” Hyo Yeon gave her a wink right after Yong Hwa slightly nodded at her then gasped happily, “We did it!” She giggled when he was far from hearing distance, “See that? He is so into you that he even needed to make sure the cousin is a girl.”

 

“I know right? He's a really jealous guy.”

 

“He is?” Hyo Yeon noticed that dreamy-eyed smile Seo Hyun displayed.

 

“Yeah,” she turned to her unnie brushing aside those sweet recollections, “But I hope he has changed now...”

 

“But you like it when he gets jealous, don't you?” Hyo Yeon softly asked but snickered when she puckered her lips and shook her head, “Stop lying Seo Hyun! You're not good at it!”

 

“Fine! Perhaps...” a closed smile rested on her lips after her attempt to defy that thought, “I do because, unfortunately, I find it really sweet...”

 

“And adorable...” Hyo Yeon supplied.

 

Yong Hwa appeared on her vision again as he stood on the other side of the room surrounded by some people. He has his back on her but she could not help but to hold that sight, she bobbed her head slowly keeping that tiny smile, “And adorable...”

 

~~~

 

Si Won stood by the door watching her as she smoothly ran a hand on Ji Son's back and humming softly. When she was sure that the little boy was sleeping deeply, she slipped off his bed and took his Gundam plushy that fell on the floor and laid it gently beside him. Yoona sighed crossing her arms on her chest watching Cake sleeping soundly like the little angel that he wasn't just half an hour ago. His father called her while she was on her way home since he was throwing tantrums again because of a toy he failed to get him. After a few minutes of explaining, Ji Son finally accepted her reasons why he shouldn't get such an expensive toy.

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter