Nineteen (Almost Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER NINETEEN


If you were to leave.
I don't know how to send you away
It keeps hanging on my mind
I know I am a fool and can only watch you from afar
~ If (Taeyeon)




After spending that evening with him, Seo Hyun decided to tell him that she would be terribly busy with school works so she wouldn't be able to hang around with him. Yong Hwa said it was okay since he takes her to school every morning but she said that too would be canceled since she has to be in school earlier than before. It would be too uncomfortable for him considering he only get to sleep a few hours after work and before school. Yong Hwa agreed against his volition. 

Out of sight, out of mind. That was the whole point but she, herself, could not really get her mind, particularly her heart, to it. He would call a lot more than he did before and, of course, she would decline those calls even prompting herself to keep her phone turned off especially during those times she has no excuse of answering them. At first, Yoona was pushing her so much to just tell him the truth since it was the easiest way but the thought on how to put them into words were enough headache.

Funny but she would still cry almost every night. Ignoring to see the person she loves was also depriving herself of him. It was enough torture but what could she do? She noticed how her mom seemed to be irate all the time and it was adding loads to her fears. What if she would know the truth herself? She exhaled loudly and caught baffled with the sight of the person waving at her. 

Seo Hyun was doing her paperworks under the shade and was just left alone a few minutes ago by Yoona when the latter's boyfriend called. She waved nervously back and swallowed hard when his sister walked closer so she stood and accepted her embrace.

“Suprise!” Fany hugged the younger girl tight then released her with the smile that never left her face, “Gosh, I miss you!”

“I miss you too, Unnie,” she smiled genuinely and her heart seemed to flutter seeing her there, “This is really a surprise... what brought you here?”

Fany motioned for her to take her seat and sat beside her then took Seo Hyun's hand resting it on her lap, “Well, we just came back from Busan. Visiting relatives there and here I am again. I miss you, Seo Hyunie!”

“Me too!” She giggled and the feeling was like she really hasn't seen Tiffany for ages. Her effect on her was really something she could not understand. There was this silent connection that binds them together. When she learned the truth, she also tried to analyze her feelings for Fany but could not get herself to feel hatred or anything. Jealousy might play in her mind but seeing her right here beside her with that genuine smile was making her feel good. 

“Well, I talked to my brother and he said that you were busy with school and all so you don't have much time for each other but I hope you have time for me,” with that she gave her a soft pout.

“Oh, Unnie...” she put a palm on the older girl's cheek and found herself saying, “I have time for you...”

“Really?!” Fany's eyes widened and nodded, “Oh, great! Do you have that time now? Cause I'm itching to go shopping.”

“Yes, let's go?” 

A few hours later, they stayed at the coffee shop talking about everything. Tiffany is a good conversant like there were no dead moments when she is around. As expected, she was really worried for Seo Hyun's health because of what happened and the memory of how she held her while she cried was something she could not forget. It's not that she was more comfortable being with Fany than with Yong Hwa but the pain in her heart was prompting her not to see him yet. 

Odd as it may seem, they would have ended to be sisters no matter how things would turn out. She was her father's step-daughter so they would fall as step-sisters. Fany was her boyfriend's sister, so that would make them sisters too. Seo Hyun sighed with those thoughts. She doesn't know now if she would want her parents to get back together because of Yong Hwa but it was playing in her mind too. Anyway, it may be very very impossible considering her mom's apparent displeasure with her dad. 

Right now, all she could think of was the break up.

~~~

She sat across the man she hasn't seen for many years. It was Eun Jung who arranged that meeting and she prepared herself for that moment for so many years ago. The last time they saw each other was when their lawyers tried to have out-of-court settlement but nothing good happened and they still ended as a divorced couple. Hyun Mi studied his features. Hee Jun has still that soft countenance in him. They both have aged and seeing him now made it more obvious. They both were too young when they fell in love but those moments were like a distant memory she never dared to look back again since it would still hurt. She was not sixteen to feel nervous but that was what she was exactly feeling.

“How are you?”

“I'm good. You?”

“Same as before.”

“Ju Hyun, how is she?”

“She's in college now.”

“It's been a long time, all I can remember was when she was eight,” Hee Jun smiled.

“Really?” Hyun Mi felt nervous. She could not understand why she was becoming possessive of Seo Hyun and was even fighting the idea of telling him that their daughter saw him some nights ago.

“Hyun--” he watched as her eyes widened with the name he called her so he cleared his throat, “Hyun Mi, I want to see her.”

“I will tell her.” She tried to sound unaffected. Besides, she was anticipating that he would say that.

“Does she... does she hate me?” That questioned pained him.

“I'm not sure... she was hurt, but you are still her father.” Forcing a smile, she took a sip of her coffee, “I will talk to her.”

“Yes, please and...” he stopped for a moment. There will never be any good way to say what was on his mind next so he bravely blurted out, “And I want you both to meet my, my stepchildren too...”

She shouldn't have ordered coffee. It was a surprise indeed so she just nodded, “Why just now that you decided to meet us?”

“Why just now?” He smirked. He was not to say it but probably, it was better for her to know, “I never stopped looking for you.”

“Really?” Hyun Mi gave him a disdainful laugh. She was starting to palpitate.

“Your uncle prevented me from meeting Eomoni-- your mother, and he said you moved to the US...”

“What?” She shook her head unsure of what she heard.

“He said you remarried.” The thought had him choked up but he managed to say the words. When her uncle told him that she remarried right away, it was a blow on his part and he could not really believe him. After that, he made his own decision. Maybe part of him did that just to get even, but all those years he could still feel the loss.

He was looking straight at her but she could not answer his gaze. What he was saying was really confusing her since it was her first time hearing them, “I don't understand. They never told me that you were looking for us.”

“He also told me that you moved on and Ju Hyun was very happy and she was being well-taken care of.”

“Are you telling me my family lied to you?” Hyun Mi sneered raising her voice a little higher than normal. How could it happen especially those times she has to endure raising Seo Hyun on her own? Most especially when she got sick and it took her a long time to give her daughter the normal life she deserves. It was he who lied before and he could be doing that again, “I don't know if I should believe you.”

“I'm so sorry if I hurt you, but there's no reason for me to lie, Hyun Mi.” He tried to reach out for her hand but she pulled away and stood.

“I'm so sorry, I have to go now,” she nervously bowed at him, “Don't worry, I will talk to Seo-- to Ju Hyun.”

“Hyun Mi, I--”

“I really must go...” she sprinted out of the restaurant. If he was telling the truth or not she doesn't want to hear them anymore. They moved on.

~~~ 

Tiffany drove her home after dinner and before she could get out of the car, the older girl held her arm.

“Seo Hyun, I will be going back to the States next week.”

“You are?” She thought Fany would be staying longer, “Why so soon, Unnie?”

“Well, I have work waiting for me and I'm done with my purpose coming home,” she gave her an assuring smile, “First, to get dad to see a specialist. Second, to check if my brother is doing well. Lastly, to meet Yong Hwa's amazing girl.”

She half-laughed by her how she stressed the word, “Unnie, I will miss you...”

“I will too and you will send me off with that punk, okay?”

“Yes, Unnie.” Maybe she still could do that, she sadly told herself and continued, “But, Unnie, don't get me wrong but please stop calling him punk.”

Tiffany heartily laughed then rolled her eyes, “What did I expect? Okay then, you will see me off with Yong Hwa.”

“Yes...” Seo Hyun nodded.

“Okay, good...” Fany gave her a thumb's up, “Okay, come here now, Seo Hyunie, and give Unnie a hug.”

~~~

Hyun Mi dropped her handbag on the sofa and slumped beside it while massaging her temple. She was expecting that they would be mature enough after all those years of separation but they ended up raising their voice at each other. Or she was the only one who raised voice? Closing her eyes, she remembered the way he looked. The years may have been tough on him since he looked much older than his age and she could not understand why she doesn't feel good about it. Maybe because he has been a widower for a long time. The thought was weird considering she was his ex-wife.

She smirked with the thought that he might be regretting marrying that woman to end up leaving so soon. How could he even suggest on introducing them to his step-children. She learned from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter