Twenty Three (Almost Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 23

 

She slowly took the lid off the small box and stared at the things inside it. Carefully, she took each one with much gentleness as if they were crystals that could go shattering easily if she dropped them. The amusement park ticket-- the place that confirmed her feelings for him. She could still remember how her heart almost leaped every time the merry-go-round would show him to her and the churning in her stomach whenever he would disappear.

Seo Hyun ran her fingers on his face as she held on to the pictures they took in the photo booth. She has all of them except for the wacky shot she gave him. Oh, how he complained for getting the least picture! She smiled looking at his face that was studying her while she was making the aegyo pose. Silly, Oppa who fell so deep for her that all she gave him in the end were those tears. If she's not the one he deserved then let that person be worth the tears he cried for her. That prayer hurt her because she wanted to be that person.

But the future for them is hazy despite her mother's approval. Or did she? She was as confused as she was. She shook her head and continued digging in to the box and felt silly when she realized that she suddenly became a hoarder. The box contained everything-- the T-shirt price tag she bought for him, the dogtag receipt, the tissue papers where they scrolled their names before. She could not believe she has those things that normal people would usually throw in the trash. Then her gaze lingered on that pink bike resting silently across the room and the teddy bear on its seat staring at her in silence. And, of course, the umbrella. She could not remember when she got it back from him as it lay on the only empty shelf beside the book she tried to finish on the park with him.

The trinkets sprawled on her bed waiting for her decision as to what she should do with them. She stood and pushed the curtain to the side and stared out of the street. The street lamp-- the railings. Is she torturing herself now?

This must be regret.

The ringing of her phone snatched her back in her room and away from that car he first laid his lips on hers. She walked lifelessly to get her phone on her bag that she wasn't even wondering who the caller was. Then she stopped as her heart stomped too fast. She placed her free hand on her chest making the last minute decision.

“Yoboseyo?”

~~~

He held the metal up and let it cover that bright light bulb on the ceiling. Hope. Love. He had so much of those before but now he doesn't know anymore. Yong Hwa let the dogtag slip on his palm and stared at it before finally hanging it on his microphone.

It was his final night as a DJ, the job that got him closer to the first woman he could say he would want to spend the rest of his life with. It was like seeing forever. He thought that there was really no end for them and where they are right that moment was some kind of an ugly dream. An ugly dream that made him wish to snap back to his waking state and find himself sleeping on her lap as she read her book by their bench.

But those thoughts were so far away for him to look back. He took his phone while he still has time and breathed heavily before hitting two.

She was still on his speed dial.

They say don't just ask for one sign but for many. So, if ever she answered it, it would be a sign and if she would say yes, it would be another. If he get any one of his signs that could only mean that fate was still on their side. That they should be together, if not now, it would surely be in the future. If he gets any one of his signs then he would continue to fight for her and see that forever with her.

One... two... three... four... five....

He was losing patience. Maybe--

The other line beeped. She answered, he held his breath.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Yoboseyo?”

“Hyun...”

“Yo-- Oppa...”

“I thought you will never pick up...”

“I...”

“It's okay... uhm... Fany Nuna went back to the States.”

“Yeah, her flight was this morning? I'm sorry I could not be there to say goodbye.”

“It's okay. She understands.”

“...”

“... Hyun...”

“Oppa...”

“I will start training.”

“Yes, Unnie told me.”

“I will go home to Busan tomorrow before reporting to the camp...”

“Ahhh... good luck, Oppa...”

“Thank you... Hyun, will you see me off tomorrow before 6 o'clock?”

“Tomorrow?”

“Yes, by the train station. My train will be leaving at 6:10.”

“...”

“Hyun, this may be the last thing I will ask you. After this, I will never bother you again.”

“Oppa... you are never a bother...”

“Either way, will you be there?”

“...”

“...”

“Yes, I will be there.”

“Okay, I will wait for you then.”

“Yes.”

“Thank you...”

“Okay...”

“I will see you tomorrow.”

“Yes, I will see you tomorrow.”

“I... I will hang up now.”

“Yes.”

“Good night.... Hyu~n.”

“Good night, Yo~ng... Oppa.”

~~~

After this, I will never bother you again.

His voice vibrated in her ears. It took Seo Hyun a good deal of time before accepting his call. She held on to her chest clutching the fabric of her shirt while talking to him as if to prevent her heart from puffing out of her body. She shivered with his voice, she shivered with the thought that she was talking to him again. The whole time they were on the phone was like something she wanted to last forever. His calls would usually end her nights before with the thought that she will see him the next day with those beautiful eyes and pretty smile. But tomorrow, how is she going to see him knowing that it might be the last time?

Seo Hyun gathered those trinkets that scattered on her bed and put them in the box afraid they might bring more tears if she would look at them for so long. After placing the box up to the shelf, she fell on the bed and closed her eyes. If only she could click the fast-forward button of her life, maybe then the pain is not too much and she could freely give herself to him and make that 'no end' come true. A soft knock came on the door so she wiped the liquids on her cheeks before answering out loud.

“Gakkung...” Yoona peeped in and locked the door behind her before jumping on the bed, “Don't tell me the well hasn't dried up yet?”

“I wonder if it’s ever going to,” she gave her a weak smile and sat down.

“Well, let's take advantage of that...” she giggled and reached out for the radio that was resting on the side table.

“Oh no, we won't!” Seo Hyun shook her head but it was too late.

When you come closer while smiling for me

It feels like all the happiness in this world is mine.

A song was playing and she frowned at her Unnie before covering her eyes again and mumbled, “It's my song for him...”

Yoona doesn't know if she would laugh or whack her friend's head since her lips curved downwards again and she was wiping her eyes with her knuckles. She looked like a five year old kid, “Hajima! Stop that! You know what? I am totally regretting that I supported this love story of yours before. You at heartbreaks!”

It's still my far future but I hoped it wasn't my dream then

Just one love I hope the road we walk on is the same

“Ya! Stop laughing at me!” she complained. Seo Hyun felt crazy herself, crying and laughing at the same time. It was on the second verse of Complete and her tears wouldn't stop flowing again, “I told you don't open that damn radio and whoever doesn't at heartbreaks is heartless...”

“Oh well... you're right,” Yoona reached out and brushed her fingers on her cheeks, “Come here, Seo Hyunie and let's make you at it some more!”

She laughed and laid her head on her unnie's lap while they listened to the song, “Unnie...”

“Hmmm...”

“He called me awhile ago...”

“He did?” It was a surprise for Yoona so she motioned for her to get up and sit, “Did you answer?”

“Yes... yes, I did...” Seo Hyun fidgeted with her fingers before meeting her sister's curious stare, “And he wanted to meet me tomorrow before he leaves.”

“So? Did you say yes?” Seo Hyun nodded and she sighed with a big smile, “Good! I'm so proud of you!”

Seo Hyun felt weird when Yoona grabbed her in an embrace. Maybe she was misunderstanding things so she just kept quiet and hugged her folded legs.

“Yong DJ is back again after that long break and I don't want to let you go hanging in the air so I will tell you early on this show. This may be an abrupt decision but starting tomorrow night, this time slot will transform into all music as yours truly will be reporting to the military. Thank you for the three years you allowed me to keep you company. I don't have much to say right now but thank you for the love and support!”

~~~

He smiled helplessly at the man outside his booth who tipped his old hat on him. There were so many memories he would be bringing with him inside that station and all the people who has helped him be better on his craft. It was the job he loved for he knew the simple joy he shared with his listeners. And because of the show...

Yong Hwa shook his head. Everything that comes to his mind lately all boils down to her and it was an unhealthy thought now. He shouldn't be sad instead anticipate their meeting the next day. He was confident that she would say yes to him, besides his proposition is not a short-term goal.

Messages started flooding his message board and it was overwhelmingly fast that he could not almost follow reading. He smiled to himself and shook his head. It was not only affecting him but these people too. Some were wishing him well but others were whining asking him why and telling him not to go but he has decided.

“Yong DJ, if the reason

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter