Thirty One (Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 31. Confirmations and Confusions

 

And never in my whole life

Have I heard words as beautiful

As when you say my name... 

~ say it again (Marie Digby)

 

For a girl who has only known one real love in her life and has lost it in a very sad manner, Seo Hyun has maintained these long years of hanging on and finding back the same love. That impromptu late Friday night that they spent inside the confines of the office was still confusing her. She could not really tell if she should put anything to it. After dropping her off to her apartment building, Yong Hwa said that there was no need for her to report that next day. She spent the whole weekend cleaning her place and a few hours reading at the coffee shop.

 

Seo Hyun wanted to free her mind with any negative thoughts even for a short while. She hoped that he would be out of the office for that day so that she wouldn't need to feel uncomfortable despite the fact that she still wanted to see him. As she walked along the office and went straight to her place, she stopped the moment she saw the empty corner, “Where's my table?”

 

“Director Jung had it moved back last Saturday,” Hyo Yeon appeared behind her and tapped her shoulder, “Appears like our boss can't live a day being far away from you.”
 

 

“What does that suppose to mean?” Seo Hyun rolled her eyes unable to ponder why he would do such thing. They had agreed that it was for the best. Although, she was able to loosen up to him for a few hours that night but she could not really tell about the future-- especially this immediate one. She could hardly decide what to do next as she stood there looking at the space where her table used to be.

 

“If I were you, I would be going in there now,” she whispered again puckering her lips towards the closed door. “He arrived very early this morning that we had no time for the ritual morning chitchat.” Hyo Yeon murmured and chuckled pushing her forward, “Go, go, go... Seo Hyun-ssi!”

 

She stopped just in front of the door and took in some air and released them purposely before knocking softly. Turning her head slightly back, her Unnie was still there with her hands on her waist and has that playful grin so she shook her head. Turning the knob open, she decided to just enter since she could tell that he was on the phone again. She was right and found him talking to someone she presumed related to the problem of the department. So far, he has been doing his job very well and as an employee, she really admired him so much. Taking her seat in silence, she bowed slightly when he turned to her and started fixing her things.

 

“What? They still have that legal obligation!”

 

His voice was fierce and loud, something that was new to her. The Director really looked mad as he paced back and forth with the receiver on his hand. Seo Hyun made up her mind to just do her work and not question his decision to have her move back in. Besides, it looked like a bad idea this time.

 

“I can't believe the Company is not taking any legal actions against them...” his voice was a little calmer now as he took his seat and massaged his temple. “Yes, yes! Nothing happened but it was a close call, we can't just let that pass. This is business--”

 

She fidgeted on her seat as the sudden raise of his voice would make her more nervous. Her memory was full of his gentle voice and cheery laughter. He did change a lot and if his physical appearance had likewise changed, he would have been a totally different person and there would be no way for her to see any traces of the old him anymore.

 

“Mr. Lee, I have an important call to take. I will get back to you later.”

 

Seo Hyun watched him by the corner of her eye as he put down the office phone and answered his ringing handphone. She noticed that sudden change of his tone and facial expression as he started talking. Trying to focus on her work, she attempted not to eavesdrop for he was obviously talking to his fiancée.

 

“I'm here already... yes, now? Okay, but I can only go out for a few hours. There are important things for me to do today. Yes, okay...”

 

After the call, Yong Hwa placed his phone back on the table and sorted the papers in front of him as he watched Seo Hyun doing the same then stood up and handed him the documents he needed to sign. He read them a bit and signed then whispered. “How’s your cut?”

 

“It's okay now, thank you,” she replied with one hand guiding him the papers and the other holding on to her hair.

 

“Good,” he answered without taking his eyes off the documents, “What's my schedule for today?”

 

Seo Hyun took her notepad and told him what he needed to know as he divided his attention to what she was saying and to the papers on his hand. After finishing, she took the folder from him and was about to leave the room to forward those documents to the secretary.

 

“Cancel my appointment this morning,” he called out before he forgot and Seo Hyun just nodded.

 

It annoyed that he was canceling his appointments just because of her. He has so many things to look after to and he was just going to use his time dating. She sneered to herself and listlessly instructed Mrs. Park about the documents. Out of the corner of her eyes, she noticed the woman going in the office that the old woman has to look up to her when she saw her.

 

“Who was that?” Mrs. Park inquired.

 

“Ahhh... Director Jung's--”

 

“Girlfriend?” she said with eyes wide as Seo Hyun nodded, “Wow, she's a pretty girl. Anyway, he is handsome and I think they look good together.”

 

Seohyun almost rolled her eyes but she just nodded and walked off. She was fighting over the idea of going back to the room or not, knowing they've got company. But she decided on the latter, besides it was him who moved her back inside so she doesn't care if she would be invading their privacy. Knocking gently, she pushed the door open before he gave an answer and bowed silently at the woman sitting on the couch. Seo Hyun took her own seat as Yong Hwa looked from both of them.

 

“Uhm, Shin Hye, you remember Ju Hyun-ssi, right?” He said noticing that serious look on the younger girl's eyes and he could not help but to smile. Shin Hye smiled and walked towards him and handed him the magazine.

 

“Yeah, of course... who wouldn't?” She answered turning to Seo Hyun and smiling a bit before focusing her attention to him, “Anyway, I picked out the ring already. It's the simple one, here--”

“Ahh... Ms. Seo,” Yong Hwa signaled for Shin Hye to wait a bit as Seo Hyun walked towards them with the same blank expression. He absentmindedly pulled one drawer and randomly took a folder and handed to her, “Can you photocopy these documents?”

Seo Hyun took it without saying anything or even looking at any of them and started walking towards the stockroom. That attitude did not escape him and he could not really understand that he seemed to be elated with the thought that he was smelling jealousy. Yong Hwa kept an eye on her as she walked out of the room while Shin Hye continued what she was saying.

 

“I don't know, I still love this engagement ring. But the wedding ring is supposed to be more beautiful, don’t you think?”

 

“Whatever you want...” he muttered not really caring what she was saying until the door shut close on them that even Shin Hye stopped and followed his gaze.

 

“You like her, don't you? ”

 

That was all she needed to say that could finally snatch his attention. He stopped for a while and snickered, “What are you talking about?”

 

“It's pretty obvious,” she rolled her eyes, “From the way you introduced us and that look you are wearing now, Jung Yong Hwa.”

 

“Aish!” He grabbed the magazine on her hand and started leafing through it but in a swift motion then mumbled, “Don't start with me, Shin Hye.”

 

She shook her head and smirked taking the chair across him, “She's pretty. It's impossible she won't get your attention.”

 

“Stop it,” he said in a warning tone. She could be very persistent so he wanted her to stop now before things got out of hand.

 

“Ya! Jung Yong Hwa, don't give me that tone. I know you and I know your women escapades.” She stressed but made sure her tone was not loud enough for the other girl to hear them from the other room, “Why that sudden change? I have never seen you react that way to a girl.”

 

“Because she is off-limits!” Yong Hwa finally said it as Shin Hye has that devilish grin that all he could do was to shake his head in annoyance. Women and their crazy minds.

 

“Off-limits? Jung Yong Hwa, is that really you?” She almost laughed. She has always loved teasing this kid.

 

“Ya! Tone down your voice, will you?” Yong Hwa grunted taking a side glance on that closed door.

 

That made her laugh but she bit her lip in a chuckle when he glowered, “What made her off-limits then? Too good for you? Or... or, does she remind you of this girl who took your heart and ran away with it?”

 

Yong Hwa turned to her with that look that she has went beyond the line but Shin Hye remained there with her unfaltering expression. He stood taking his coat and putting it on, “She's off-limits because she is my assistant. I am here to work, not to flirt.”

 

Shin Hye's eyes glistened. There must be something about this girl that made her friend fired up like that. She hid her grin as he started walking out, “Ya! Where are you going?”

 

“To hell... far from your crazy assumptions!” Yong Hwa called back and complained to himself, “First my sister, then you! Sheez, why am I surrounded with obnoxious women?”

“Wait for me!”

 

~~~

 

She could not believe the papers she was supposed to be photocopying for him. They were nothing but stacks of scratch papers he kept inside his drawer. So that was just his way to keep her out of the room and have that little privacy with his girlfriend.

 

“But the wedding ring is supposed to be more beautiful, right?” Seo Hyun attempted to mimic Shin Hye’s voice in disgust and could not believe him.

 

She was officially pissed. Why did that woman even have to go to the office? And after his heated phone conversation with someone about work, his tone mellowed down when she called and walked in the office. Like he has some kind of a bipolar disorder, that crazy Jung Yong Hwa. She hated the way that it seemed he was like rubbing it on her face.

 

Clearly, there was no meaning to what he said the other night about 'worth fighting for.'

 

Pushing those annoying tears aside, she could not believe why she needed to cry for him that way. So what if he was getting married? So what if he loved someone else? So what if she still loves him despite of those crazy facts? She hit her chest with a fist and sat on the floor cradling those useless papers in her hand. Jung Yong Hwa doesn't deserve the love she has been saving for him all these years.

 

Suddenly, she stood and decided to file an undertime. The devil may care if he won't agree to it. The emptiness welcomed her back when she went out. So, the love-birds took off without even telling her? She swallowed that lump in and accomplished the form and set it on top of his table. Besides, she would just be useless if her boss wouldn't do his work since he's out dating.

 

The taxi driver smiled widely at her when she gave him an extra tip for aimlessly driving her around before dropping her off The Ninth Street Cafe. Before she could even reach the little white fences, she heard her friend's giggly voice and another one that belonged to a kid. Seo Hyun trod the walkway as she smiled on that pretty sight by the swing. Yoona was cuddling a boy on her lap with an open newspaper in front of them laughing over some comic strips.

 

“Hi...” she greeted as the two finally took notice of her.

 

“Seo!” Yoona looked surprised by the sudden appearance of her friend as Ji Son carelessly turned the page, “Hey Cake, she's the bestfriend I was talking about.”

 

Ji Son glanced up at the girl and smiled, “Hi! So she's the one obsessed with seat belts?”

 

“Sorry, he has a good memory— today, only today,” Yoona laughed as she looked apologetically at Seo Hyun who sat on the little step facing them. “Yeah, she's the one...”

 

“Ahhh... yeah, she doesn't really look like six. She's older,” the little boy said casually while leafing through the newspaper and looking as if he could understand a thing.

 

Seo Hyun raised a brow on her friend as the latter just bit her lower lip in a suppressed laugh then gently tugged his arm, “Cake, why don't you play with your Ji Hwan hyung and Sim Ji nuna inside?”

 

“But, but...” he looked up to her with those puppy eyes and pouted lips, “But I wanna play with you and her,” he said pointing at Seo Hyun.

 

“Ya... we will be talking about boys now,” she winked at Seo Hyun who frowned, “You don't like that, right?”

 

“Yeah,” he listlessly hopped down from his seat and started on his way then stopped in front of Seo Hyun with a little wave, “Nice meeting you, Yoona-ssi-bestfriend.”

 

They both laughed as Seo Hyun pinched his cheek, “The name is Seo Hyun, thank you very much.”

 

“Ahhh... Seo Hyun-ssi...” he mumbled heading towards the door, then turned to them again before finally walking inside, “When you're done talking about boys, just call me, okay?”

 

“Will do, Cake!” Yoona called back as the bell clang. Seo Hyun was still under the Cake-spell as she continued to laugh then she deliberately opened up, “So Seo, are we ready to talk about boys now?”

 

“You can say that again...” she rolled her eyes as her laughter rested into that soft smile, “By the way, who is he?”

 

 

“By the way, what brought you here? You're supposed to be in the office.”

 

“Are we playing dodge-ball here, Unnie?” She eyed with suspicion as Yoona snickered, “Come on, don't tell me, that kid is your new love interest!”

 

“Ya! Seo Ju Hyun!” She glowered at her then shook her head, “No, his dad cannot find a new nanny for him. For now, I decided to let him stay here while his Appa is at work.”

 

“Wow, I thought you're just operating a cafe here. But now it's a cafe-slash-daycare,” she chuckled to herself. It was indeed a good idea to leave that hellish office for a while. The aroma and the atmosphere were therapeutic. She puckered her lips and creased her brows, “By the way, that little boy's dad happens to be your....” Seo Hyun stopped for a moment then glowered, “Is there something you're not telling me?”

 

“Nothing,” Yoona shook her head with a pouted lips, “Ya, I am just helping the guy. Besides, I like Cake a lot.'

 

“Cake is his name? Wait a minute, Cake as in Cake Ajussi and Cake Ajumma?” Seo Hyun said with that trace of laughter on her voice as she finally replaced the little boy beside Yoona, “I remember that!”

 

“Yeah, well, I got used to calling him that now, but his name is Ji Son,” she nodded darting her eyes towards the door, “He got

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter