Forty Four (Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 44. Mine

 

 

Let's start from here, lose the past

Change our minds, we don′t need a finish line

Let's take this chance don’t think too deep

~Let's Start From Here (Joanna Wang)

 

It was about half-past midnight. She sat by the same bench on the bus stop waiting for her ride home. Her Min Unnie had called three hours ago asking where she was and was about to pick her up when the latter's mother came to the apartment. She was really fine since it was nothing new, only that it was really late. Suzy just got her first job and it was not very becoming if she decline her boss' request for her to go on an overtime. They used to go home way past that time when she was still in the University anyway so it was nothing new for her. Most of those times, they were just partying, at least, this time it was for doing her job.

 

She pushed her muffler up some more that it almost hid her chin. It was really cold. Suddenly, a man came in view— he was not walking properly and her heart started pounding. He must be drunk or on drugs and something told her that she might be in trouble. She decided to go sit on the other bench. Pretending not to notice, she kept her attention straight ahead as he got closer.

 

Pepper spray. That instantly came to her mind when he passed by the first bench. Suzy held the object inside her bag just in case. Her thoughts came to life when he sat next to her but on the other end of the bench, his head hanging low and hands still hidden inside his trench coat’s pockets. She swallowed hard. The friggin' bus should come now. She didn't want to be on the morning news. Just then she remembered her Unnie so she d for her phone while her hand was still inside her bag but tried not to make her fright obvious.

 

But she could not find it. She cursed, probably out loud since the person suddenly turned to her. Suzy froze as her eyes met those of the stranger’s. With only the light coming from the lone lamp post between the benches, she saw the biggest gleaming eyes she has ever seen on a Korean man. And it confirmed her thoughts that he was drunk— pretty much. And to her relief, he looked away.

 

A few minutes have passed but the bus was still nowhere in sight. Although, she was still nervous but her mind told her he could not probably attack her with that kind of lifelessness he was exhibiting. Just then the stranger moved slowly, not the kind of movement that scared her like when he sat next to her, but the falling movement. And with that, he fell on the bench with his head just a few centimeters from her.

 

“A-aju...” she hesitated but continued, “Ajussi, you can't sleep there.” He did not move at all. The cold metal was even slithering through her body that surely it would freeze him if he really sleeps there. With all the courage she could muster and with her unfailing faith to her pepper spray, she pulled his shoulder from the bench and pushed him back on his side. She sighed with her sudden discovery of strength.

 

“I'm cold.”

 

Her soul almost detached from her body when he spoke just when she was settling back on her own seat. The man has unbelievably deep spooky voice. Suzy swallowed hard unable to decide what to do with his declaration.

 

“Miss, can you hug me?”

 

Holy macaroni, the person is a ert! She managed to convince herself but it seemed like she was more curious now than scared. She swallowed hard and the words just escaped her lips, “I- ahh... c-can I just hold your hand?” Is she crazy? She did not just say what she just said, did she?

 

Yes, she must be crazy and that stranger must be half as crazy as she was for he slowly took one hand off his coat and offered to her without any words. And, her crazy self took his gloved hand and held it.

 

So it was like two people both occupying each corner of one bench and in the middle was there hands. She sighed and convinced herself that she was doing a public service and her mother would be proud of her. And since she was already on that public service thing, she might as well take it to the limit, “Ajussi, where do you live? If a taxi stops by, I'll take you home.” She waited but he hardly moved, she tilted her head and tried to peek. It wouldn't hurt if she moved a little, right? Besides, she was still holding the spray on her other hand just in case the stranger transformed. “Aju—“

 

“I don't want to go home. Take me with you.”

 

For a drunken man, this person has a good enunciation and for a lucid person, she has a great hearing but a terrible judgment. Suzy was about to decline and pull her hand from his when he suddenly tightened his grip and turned to her. His sleepy eyes were mesmerizing and his heart-shaped lips forced her not to look away.

 

“Miss... I-I'm nota b-bad purshon, and I pay you—“

 

His other hand, freed from his coat, fumbled on his pants’ pocket to retrieve his wallet and threw it gently in the middle of the bench. With her free hands, she absentmindedly took the object.

 

“You can havit for tonight and all the money there ish yours and just let me shtay for the night.”

 

The stranger pronounced as she tried hard to inspect the content. There were more cash than she expected, a few cards and a picture. She has the most uncomfortable position that moment for she was holding his hand on her right as her left hand inspected his wallet.

 

“Miss...”

 

She looked up to him and was about to open when he suddenly fell again. “Ajussi!”

 

~~~

 

Tiffany sat by the third step of the grand staircase of the Kim's mansion. She sat there clutching her stomach and figuring out if there was that what they call interval of pain as they came. Her face twitched that she has to bite her lip when the pain was unbearable. Suddenly, she wished she had a mother to call.

 

Swallowing a lump in , she felt her tears run through her cheeks. Hyun Joong was fast asleep in their room and she didn't really like to wake him up instead she decided to walk around the house. Her best friend, Jessica whom had the same experience when she had her first baby, even has to spend the whole day at the mall when she was in labor as it was suggested by her OB. She did not really get the whole point.

 

“Fany?! Is that you? Love, why are you there?” Hyun Joong woke up to find the empty space beside him. He waited for a moment until he realized that the restroom lights were off.

 

She brushed off her tears when she heard his voice behind her so she stood carefully, “Uhm... yeah...”

 

“What are you doing there? Is something wrong? Is it the hormones making you cry again?” He asked as he helped her up the steps. That was usually her reason for crying out of the blue. It's not really like she was about to— “Fany-ah, do you think you might be in labor?”

 

They stopped just one more step before they reach the floor. That question gave way for more tears to come out and in between sobs, she cried, “I t-think so...”

 

“OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!”

 

~~~

 

“Unnie! He's my friend, I could not just leave him to freeze to death on the street, could I?” She justified but her Unnie was still unconvinced with her arms crossed on her chest.

 

“As far as I can remember, I know all your friends...” Min opened the door wider to look at the stranger, “And you're making him sleep in your bed? Ya Bae Suzy, have you lost your mind? You're father's going to kill you if he finds out!”

 

“And he will not find out because we're not telling him and Unnie, I will sleep on the sofa,” she smiled trying to make her cousin understand that she has everything under control, “Unnie, go to sleep please. I'm just going to make him settle and I'll lock him up here.”

 

“Pssshhh!”

 

Suzy heaved a sigh of relief when she finally left and slammed the door behind her so she turned her attention on him, “Ajussi, it's okay now, you can sleep here but tomorrow you have to leave as soon as possible. I did not get anything from your wallet.”

 

 

She felt crazy talking to an almost dead body. Maybe she was really too tired. But it was as weird what her Min Unnie was feeling. She was not really the type who would pick up a stray cat on the street, much less a stray drunk stranger. Gently, she pulled the covers up to his chin. She could just bring that to the laundromat later.

 

“Aigooo, Ajussi, I still can't understand why you men drink yourself to death. You're probably in deep trouble as I am now,” she monologue-ed while pulling up a leg that fell off her tiny bed, “Ajussi, whatever it is, you can do it! Himnae!” She felt crazier so she laughed, “If only this ajussi could tell me why he is like this then probab—“

 

“Because I'm marrying Bae Sue Ji....”

 

Her jaw dropped.

 

Was she too sleepy that she was hearing things? No, couldn't be, since this ajussi has been wording his thoughts too clearly for a drunk man. He was marrying a certain Bae Sue Ji. And she has been a Bae Sue Ji since birth.

 

How fascinating.

 

~~~

 

Day Five

 

Seo Hyun watched him sleep as she snuggled comfortably on her own pillow. So this is the scene she would be seeing every day. He looked so calm and cute sleeping there with mouth half-opened with frequent little groans. Both of them, probably, self-conscious of being in the same 'bed' that it seemed like they hardly moved from their places and she noted the pillow, although crashed by his leg, remained in the middle. Only his foot and her thigh actually touched. Yawning, she stood quietly and went to the bedroom.

 

It was still dark outside, she noticed as she passed by the dining room. She could not really tell the weather but the subtle movement of the waves was suggesting for a calm morning. That was exactly what she needed. After fixing herself, she changed into a thicker clothing, slipped the box deep in her pants' pocket and went back to the living room.

 

Heaving a sigh when she noticed that he was still in a deep sleep, Seo Hyun laid herself back to her side and decided to wake him up. She touched his nose but he did not move at all. She giggled quietly and tried again with one arm folded under her neck. This time he made a subtle sniffing sound but that was all so she pouted before finally pinching his nose. Yong Hwa grumbled and opened his eyes in annoyance as she laughed.

 

“What?!” his voice, coarse and irritated, killed the silence and her little chuckles joined it so he complained again before putting a pillow on his face, “Hyu~n!”

 

“Oppa...” she said tenderly while trying to get the pillow, “Oppa...”

 

“Hyu~n...”

 

 

Seo Hyun rolled her eyes in exasperation then sat up, tied her hair and started shaking him lightly, “Wake up now, you promised we will see sunrise today...” She smiled when he took the pillow off his face.

 

“Hmmm... let me sleep some more, Hyun...” he declared with eyes hardly opening but his lips were drawing a tiny smile before hugging the pillow tight.

 

“Oppa!” she grumbled again. “It's your idea and you're just gonna sleep on me!?” Seo Hyun complained but he did not move at all. It started to annoy her, just as she planned an event for him but he would just make it hard for her. “Fine!” She started to get up but his hand came out of nowhere and took her by the wrist. Another hand grabbed her waist that she landed on his chest, “Oppa!”

 

Yong Hwa chuckled when she continued to struggle, “This is my first time waking up beside you.” And thankfully, I survived the whole night not ravaging you, he would have added but kept it to himself. With that, her weight finally pressed on his chest so he ran a finger on her nape, “Hyun, I want this everyday...”

 

Butterflies danced on the pit of her stomach and she smiled but the feeling of the box in her pocket reminded her of what was needed to be done. Seo Hyun pulled herself up despite the growing desire to stay where she was. Without giving him a second glance, she stood and fixed her hair, “Oppa, we will miss the sunrise if you would go all mushy there...”

 

Yong Hwa could do nothing but to laugh by how unaffected she was of what he just said. How could this girl brush off that kind of killer line? He cussed to himself and sat up without leaving his sight off her until she disappeared through that open door. The cold sea breeze slithered inside the room and pushed him to stand and heed what she said. After washing his face, he went out carrying a comforter. He found her on the bench with legs folded on her body looking onto the remaining darkness. Only a flicker of sun rays, deep orange and some pink and blue streaks, lined the sky on that distant horizon. She looked up to him with that smile and reached out for his hand.

 

He adjusted their fingers to intertwine then struggled to wrap the comforter around her shoulders using his free hand. She laughed when he pouted and put up their hands signifying it was making it impossible for him. Seo Hyun nodded pretending to be too disappointed to let go of his fingers so that he could place the sheet over her. When he finally settled them both inside it, he s one arm by her waist and pulled her closer to him.

 

“Hyu~n...”

 

“Hmmm, Oppa?”

 

“Nothing...”

 

She laughed as he chuckled. The sun was slowly consuming that distant foggy atmosphere as the half-calm waters distort its image as it appears. They were quiet, probably because that was the whole point of 'watching the sun rise'. But she was quiet since she was trying so hard to keep her heart still and not to make her mind go crazy and overexcited. But he was quiet for he was weighing his options. Although, he knew that Seo Hyun would forgive him whatever it was that he did but he was still worrying. What if it would be the reason for her to get angry at him? But then again, she might just laugh it off.

 

Yong Hwa closed his eyes and embraced her tighter that she flinched for a moment but settled comfortably on that position. Nestling his face by the arch of her neck, they cuddled on that small bench and let the sun rays kiss the cold wind off their exposed skin while he we warmed her with his own breath.

 

“Wow, it's beautiful...” she whispered and felt his head moved to look at the spectacle in front of them. He was resting his chin on her shoulder as his arms still locked her into him. “It's like having this sunrise for ourselves, isn't it?”

 

“Uh-huh...” he nodded gently causing his chin to rub on her shoulder. Yong Hwa pulled his head up and looked at her, “Hyun...”

 

“Hmmm?” She turned to him that the tip of their noses almost touched. She laughed softly by the realization. Seo Hyun wrinkled her nose when he remained looking at her like he was left speechless or just forgot what he needed to say and shook his head. The wind was brushing tenderly that some loose strands were playing by her face and his own fringes moved carelessly so she reached out and gently touched his forehead. “Your friend is so lucky to own this place...”

 

Yong Hwa secretly smiled when she looked away. He could just imagine her surprise if he finally give the title to her. It was his last surprise for her. The last event that could signal a brand new start for both of them. Seo Hyun looked so wonderful in the morning with her lazy eyes, cherry cheeks cooled by the breeze and warmed by the early morning sun. Later, he would tell her later that he was her anonymous caller.

 

“Oppa...”

 

Her voice stopped his train of thought as she adjusted herself to face him and finally separating her body from his for a good few inches. “Yes, what is it?”

 

 

A smile blossomed on her lips and as she playfully raised her brows and tilted her head like she wanted him to figure out what she meant. But Yong Hwa puckered his lips and shook his head so she laughed while putting both palm on her cheeks, “Oppa, I'm hungry. Make breakfast, please...”

 

He laughed as her lashes fluttered through her request. “Okay then, come inside and I'll teach you how to make breakfast...” Yong Hwa stood and motioned to take the blanket but she wrapped her body tighter to it and shook her head. “Come on, Hyun. You can't stay here. It's too cold.”

 

“I'm okay, Oppa. I still have to see the rest of the sun.” She pulled up a smile that could make him just say yes but it seemed he was not taken by it so she pouted, “Please, Oppa? I'm so hungry now...”

 

“Aigooo, Hyu~n!” Yong Hwa grumbled still holding on to the sheets, “We can still see the sun by the dining...”

 

She pouted some more and blinked a few times just as he chuckled. Shrugging his shoulders, he turned and left her alone. Seo Hyun smiled as the door slid closed once more. Tucking the blanket comfortably on her body, she stood and took the steps careful enough not to let the wooden floor screech too much. Good thing she wore her boots as she hopped excitedly down to the sands and left the comforts of the boardwalk.

 

She stood just a few steps away from the water, watching it move through the sands. By the looks of it, the tide would be moving closer and closer to the shore until it reached that boardwalk from the distance. The cold breeze skin and she warned herself that if she stays a little longer she might catch a cold. Turning a bit to catch a glance of him working on that small kitchen, she prayed that he won't make a King's breakfast and hurry down before she get sick.

 

Yong Hwa shook his head disapprovingly when he noticed that Seo Hyun has wandered off the shore on that freezing morning. After taking out the toasted bread, he decided to do the rest later and make her come inside. With his coat on and muffler in place, he went out and jogged on the path until he stopped just a few steps away from where she was standing. Seo Hyun looked serene and totally engrossed by the view in front of her. By that time, the sun was almost out of the sky that it was starting to burn his sight. As he walked closer, Yong Hwa noticed that her eyes were closed but a tiny smile flicker on her lips.

 

He took off his dogtag and unhooked the key. “Hyun...”

 

Finally, she turned but with hands still securing the blanket on her body, “Yong Oppa...”

 

Yong Hwa stood beside her and carefully took the blanket. He folded it carefully and laid on the sand by their feet. Looking back at her, he smiled. “Maybe it's time for me to give you this,” then, he handed the key. Yonghwa did not plan to do that yet but seeing her in deep thought that way made him decide to finally include that to her brooding. “I want you to decide if you want us to be together despite the odds. When we go back to Seoul, it's up to you if you want to go to Namsan and r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter