Twenty Eight (Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 28. Stealing Hearts

 

I don't wanna make this too hard

But I just wanna be where you are

In your life, by your side, forever

~ losing the love (joy enriquez)

 

Her eyes were glued on the computer screen as her constant blinks and the sound her fingers were making on the keyboard suggested that she was too engrossed on whatever she was working on. Seo Hyun unconsciously gathered her hair from the back and held on to them on her shoulder while she let her right hand continue the work. Tilting her head to the side and pursing her lips on the process, she looked up so Yong Hwa hurriedly averted his gaze from her and pretended to look at his own screen.

 

He could not understand why this woman seemed to be too obsessed in wrapping herself up every day as she comes to the office. Now, she was wearing a duke blue cashmere turtleneck and that very unappealing plain black skirt. He reminded himself that Seo Hyun was not that too focused on how she looked before but on how her attire makes her comfortable. 

 

That's just it! 

 

Taking a pencil, he drummed it to his head as if scolding himself for bothering with useless thoughts.

 

Seo Hyun slightly swung her chair to the side as she took a book and leafed through it-- her hair finally falling on her side. Flipping a few strands back, she leaned closer to what she was reading as he rested his back on his own chair. Women are fascinating creatures to observe. How she has matured physically, but some parts of her never did. For one, her hair and for another, her eyes.

 

Suddenly, she arched her head up that it was too late for him to look away. Seo Hyun was now looking straight into his eyes the way he did all those moments he was studying her earlier. Caught red-handed, he felt the need to get away but could do nothing about it. He felt helpless, giving himself away without a fight. 'Damn it, Yong Hwa! Look away!' he could not tell who said that but another voice was panicking and another one kept quiet, happily deriding his defeat. Thankfully, or not, it was she who looked away. But he noticed how she shut her eyes tight for a moment. Yong Hwa finally breathed. It should never happen again. It's either he must never watch her again, or he should be more careful watching her next time.

 

Both choices seemed pretty hard, though.

 

It would surely make her back ache but she slouched down on her seat just to make sure that he would only be seeing the crown of her head. She twitched her lips when it dawned on her again how their eyes got stuck into each other. Seo Hyun was having that feeling of someone studying her and there was no one in the room but them. Just to appease her mind, she did turn to him and verified that thought that he had been giving her those side-long glances. Okay, she might be assuming things and maybe he just happened to look her way when she looked HIS way. Biting her lower lip, she would have kicked herself hard for those crazy thoughts.

 

That moment where she found herself locking glances with him made her incomprehensibly nervous so she has to drop that connection. It was better that way than for him to pretend nothing happened at all. The first few days they were together, she was trying to talk to him about what happened before or just plainly talk to him but he seemed to be brushing her off that it was as if she did not exist at all. But yes, she would catch him looking at her a few times since she was doing that too-- often. Only that, few minutes ago they both caught themselves in that game. When she shifted her look off him, she just had to close her eyes for a moment to help calm herself down.

 

Just as she was about to calm down, a sudden disturbance of the silence played in the air when his handphone rang in that annoying volume that made her jerk on her seat. Putting a hand on her chest, she followed his back as he walked towards the private room, shutting the door rather loudly.

 

Yong Hwa was still on the process of freeing his mind from that encounter when his phone rang and gave him an obvious shock. He smirked when the name of the caller flashed on the screen and decided to take that call in private.

 

“Did you like my little surprise?”

 

That question appeared more like a mockery for him than an expression of joy. He pushed the door of the private room locked as Seo Hyun silently watched him leave. “You should have told me that she is working here.”

 

“I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, would I?”

 

His sister's giggly voice was not funny at all as he pushed the heavy curtain to the side and looked up to see that blue sky. He could even bet that Seo Hyun has no idea that Tiffany was the new in-law of the CEO. “You don't have to do this...”

 

“Why not? It's the best way to get you close to her again...”

 

“Nuna, we don't need to get close to each other again.” Yong Hwa slumped on the couch totally dejected by what his sister did, “This is not a funny joke, Nuna. Both of us don't want to be in this kind of set-up.”

 

“Ya! You have an unfinished past, at least try to work on that.”

 

“Unfinished? For pete's sake, she finished it eight years ago!” He stood again with that sudden urge of kicking the little table on his side. He was not really in a good mood that morning, let alone that time when she caught him off guard. Or was it since he came back and found out about his sister's 'little surprise'?

 

It has been three days but nothing seemed to comfort him. Seeing her in the morning with that civil smile she would usually wear, that nearness whenever she would give him some documents, her sweet smell that would dominate the entire room. And, so far, the last one he would see in the office, excluding the guards and the utility workers. Those were all he has been enduring and would be enduring for the remainder of his stay in Korea.

 

And, of course, those unguarded moments that he would be unconsciously lazying his eyes on her.

 

“You still love her.”

 

“Ah--- I...” Yong Hwa stopped for a moment since his heart suddenly tapped loud enough to stop traffic. He shut his eyes tight unable to suppress those raging emotions that suddenly appeared with that thought. Of course, she was just assuming so he shook his head as if Fany was in front of her and fumed, “No, I don't! Whatever gave you that idea?!”

 

“Then prove it!”

 

“Nuna! I don't have to prove anything to you...” Why is she so good in ruining his mood?

 

“Who said I want you to prove it to me?”

 

Yong Hwa was getting more frustrated. The girl they were talking about was just a door away from him and his sister was making it even harder for him to deal with her so he grumbled loudly, “Then what do you want from me?!”

 

“Prove it to yourself. Prove to yourself that you don't love Seo Hyun anymore, Jung Yong Hwa.”

 

His fingers found a way to turn off the call without his mind dictating it to. His heart continued to pound loudly that he could almost hear it. How could she pathetically assume something so outrageous as that? Their past was something he could never escape from but the thought of still loving her after eight years was all appalling. He shoved the phone on the bed and ran a hand on his hair. Tiffany is really the most annoying person he has ever known-- too bad, she is his sister.

 

That definitely ruined his day-- some more.

 

~~~

 

She set her warm cup of hazelnut coffee on the saucer and flipped the paper she was reading to the Lifestyle section. It was a warm morning that Yoona decided to settle on one of the few tables by the porch facing the street in front of her. A soft breeze blew through the cherry blossom just beside the wooden sofa swing that she instinctively looked up. Only then did she notice a little boy at the other end of the sidewalk with that expression she could not really read due to the distance. She smiled to herself and decided to get a piece of blueberry cheesecake to chase away the heavy espresso shot she added on her cup.

 

Ji Hwan stopped her by the door to let her sign some acknowledgment receipts. She then instructed him and Sim Ji to take note of the deliveries for the day since she tends to forget about those details. Afterwards, she carried her small plate and went out. When the door closed behind her, she almost jumped finding the boy standing in front of the door staring wide-eyed at her.

 

“Hey... you just gave me a scare!” Yoona animatedly said with a slight laugh.

 

“I'm sorry, agassi...” the little fellow said in his most serious tone and bowed. He was wearing a white undershirt that was peeping out from the hastily zipped red sweater. Taking off his matching red cap, he looked up to her again with the same expression.

 

“It's okay,” she nodded and walked over to her table and claimed her seat. The boy then followed her and took his place across her without the invitation. Yoona raised her brows as the tiny person continued to stare at her, “Where are you from?”

 

“There...” he stretched his arms and pointed over at his left.

 

She nodded again. The shop was located on that little corner around three residential buildings and across an elementary and middle schools. Maybe the boy lives in one of those buildings near the cafe. “Why are you here? You're supposed to be in the daycare center?”

 

“I don't go to eorinijip yet,” he said nonchalantly.

 

“Why not?” She grinned when he shrugged his shoulders. The boy has this clean cut hair, two marbles of dark brown eyes, a cute little nose and those adorably pinkish cheeks that anybody would die for a pinch. “Okay, how old are you then?” He raised both hands and opened wide his right and just a thumb's up on the left. So he was six, Yoona mused. “What's your name?” She asked again but he gave her another shrug, “Why are you here?”

 

“Grown-ups ask many questions.”

 

“What?!” She almost fell off her seat with that remark so she took a napkin and wiped the side of her lips. “Okay, this will be my last question. Why are you here?”

 

“Because... hmmm...” he looked up twitching his lips to the side before looking down at the table and pointing at her cup, “I want to drink that.”

 

“This?” Yoona tried to verify his answer and he bobbed his head for affirmation, “But aren't you too young for this? Uhm... err... I mean, kids are not supposed to drink this yet.”

 

“What's it called?” He moved leaning over the table and took a quick peek on her cup.

 

“It's what we call coffee...” she supplied as if giving the child the greatest understanding to life.

 

“Ahhh... my Appa drinks that too!” The little person chimed with recognition, “But he doesn't let me drink.”

 

Yoona giggled with that little pout he was wearing so she smiled, “Would you like a taste?”

 

“Can I?”

 

“Of course!” She nodded happily as she pushed the cup closer to him then added, “But be careful, it's a little hot...”

 

The boy slowly lifted the cup closer to his lips then took a quick sip but as the liquid meet his lips, he frowned and pushed it away, “Ewwww!”

 

Yoona laughed like she was of the same age as him and because of her amusement he pursed his lips tight with that disappointed look on his face. Clearing , she took the cup again and uttered after taking a sip, “It's yucky, right? That's why your dad doesn't let you have some.”

 

“Now I know...” he contemplated to himself then looked up to her again, “So nothing in here that doesn't have that taste?”

 

“Well, we also have smoothies and some fresh fruit juices. And, milkshakes and chocolate shakes,” she proudly sales-talked. “Would you like to try one?”

 

“Uh-huh,” he nodded.

 

“Okay, wait,” she stood and decided to prepare a strawberry smoothie for her new friend. It took her a little while and when she went out to give it to him, his elbows where on the table as he pressed his chin on his palms looking bored. But, he smiled giddily when she walked up to him and sipped the drink right away before the glass even met the table. She also placed a plate of chocolate-chip cookies in front of him that he happily devoured after every sip, “Aren't we a little hungry, huh? Is it good?”

 

“Uh-huh?” He nodded as he munched another cookie then pointed on his tall glass, “But this is a little sweet.”

 

“Oh? Really?” She chuckled while reaching to wipe the side of his lips. It seemed like the boy was now contented so she continued reading the article she left behind. But before she could even finish a sentence—

 

“What are you reading?”

 

“This? A newspaper.”

 

“Newspaper...” he nodded while pondering then his little face lit up, “Ah! My Appa reads that too!”

 

“Really?” She smiled as he took another bite. She noticed that he has been mentioning about a father but not his mother. Yoona took a quick look at her watch and noticed that it was almost fifteen minutes that the boy was there, “Wait a minute; I think your parents are looking for you now. Do you live near here?”

 

The boy shrugged his shoulders again while playing with his straw, “What does that mean?”

 

Gently, he pushed his glass aside and put back on the plate the cookie he was munching on, “Agassi, I think I don't know where I live.”

 

“What?” Her jaw dropped with his revelation while he just stared at her with those innocence that she may not be able to interpret well. So he was lost but doesn't look lost by that unworried face he has been wearing. Yoona might even mistake it as a joke so she inquired, “Then do you know your phone number? Your dad's number? Your dad's name?” Yoona tread those questions, giving a few intervals for him to shake his head, “What's your name?”

 

“Hmmm... about that, I think I forgot my name too...”

 

With that, Yoona found herself clutching the little boy's hand as she decided to bring him to the police station.

 

~~~

 

Yong Hwa decided to go out when he felt that he was calm enough to face the subject of his argument with his sister. Pulling the door open, he went out with a sigh only to find her standing by his table arranging some folders. She looked up to him with those eyes that he could not tell if she was casting another spell on him. He shook his head and took his seat as he opened one folder she left there before taking her own place, “What are these?”

 

“The documents you were asking awhile back.” Seo Hyun said in monotone. He was wearing that look of disgust again. She noticed that after that first day she introduced the office to him, he seemed to be colder and was even hardly looking at her straight in the eye except, of course, for that moments ago where she caught him on the spot. It was understandable since they were both in a very, very awkward situation. If it was only her, she would have resigned that very day she found out that he was her new boss.

 

“Yeah?”

 

He said again with an almost mocking tone as he massaged his temple so she quipped, “The record of last year's advertisers.”

 

“Last year? I told you I need the record for the past five years.” Yong Hwa shut the folder close with fierce expression of annoyance then continued a pitch higher, “Isn't that hard to understand?”

 

The sudden rise of his voice made her backed away and she struggled for something to say, “But you said--”

 

It seemed like that negativity spread gravely in his mind that he could feel his veins pulsating in his chest. Flicking the tip of the folder with so much force, it slipped off the table that some loose papers were able to find their way out and came flying down the floor with the folder. “Aishhh!” he mumbled to himself since he did not really mean for it to happen so he slumped his back on the backrest and massaged his throbbing temple.

 

She was surprised by his sudden outburst that she was flustered right there. He put a hand on his temple and closed his eyes just then she realized to pick up the papers scattered on the floor. Seo Hyun's lips were starting to quiver and her heart was beating hard, she knew it was better for her to leave that room or else she would be crying helplessly right in front of him. Locking herself in the record room, she brushed away those traces of tears and remembered

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter