Enter From Stage Left

Tommorrow's Cantabile

Nobody's P.o.V

"Jungkookie your gonna be okay. You practiced this like a million times so don't worry." Jungkook mom's hand rested on his shoulder. He tightened his grip around his clarinet and violin case. A grand building stood before them, holding some of the best musicians in Korea. Jungkook stared in awe at the white building. The building looked old, but it looked just as beautiful when the building was built. Small green vines creeped up the walls, slipping into the cracks climbing higher and higher. Tall marble pillars held up the entrance cover. The doors were spread wide open. Countless people could be seen at the main hall. Elegant ladies in long, flowing dresses sipped on glasses of champagne while interacting with the others. The men placed their hand on their dates waist and pulled them closer as they talked with each other. A small symphony was seated in the corner of the room, playing Mozart's " Symphony No. 46 in C Major. 

Jungkook stepped inside the hall. A few heads turned in his direction but most seemed not to notice him. "Remember breath in, breath out. You can do this." Jungkook took deep breaths before moving forwards, towards the concert hall. 

He and his mother reached the concert hall. His mother left and said "I'll go look for your father.". When she left a tall guy with long hair and glasses jumped Jungkook. He nearly lost his balance while the taller guy clinged onto him. "S-Shinwoo my instruments. Aren't you supposed to be practicing?" Shinwoo open his eyes and simply said "Nope.". Shinwoo pointed to a open door down the hallway. "I finished practicing while waiting for you. Your supposed to check with that old man near the door." I thanked him and went over to the grandpa at the check in. "Hello sonny I need your name please." "Jeon Jungkook." 

The old man's eyes looked like they were barley open as he scanned the list of participants. "Ahh yes Jungkook your practice room is the one that's open." "Um... Can you please tell me what time I'm performing?" Jungkook said. The old man looked back down at the clipboard and said "Your performing at 2:45. You have about 40 minutes to practice Jongkin." "Jungkook." He corrected. "Ah sorry Minkook. Please come to me for anymore information.". Jungkook started to walk down the hall before running back to the old man. "Can you please tell me where the restroom is really quickly before I practice?" Jungkook hopped up and down, trying not to piss himself. "The restroom is at the end of the left hallway. Just go straight and take the 3rd door to your left Junchan." The old man slowly lifted his hands from the table and pointed his brittle finger down the hall. Jungkook bowed and went to the practice room to drop of his cases before sprinting to the restroom. "He got my name wrong 3 times in 3 minutes. That's swell." Jungkook thought.

Nobody was in the restroom when Jungkook stepped inside. He went to the toilets and did his business. Just when Jungkook open the door, a guy wearing shades walked in with a man with faded orange hair. Jungkook quickly closed the door again and hid from the two strangers. You see, Jungkook was hesitant with meeting new people. Once he sees someone he doesn't know, he hides.

"Who wears shades indoors? This place is very well lit up. And the concert hall is dark so how is he gonna see anything?" Jungkook wondered as he peeped through the small crack between the door and the stall wall. "Man, this is gonna be easy. There are so many amateurs performing that we'll win easily." The apricot haired man spoke as he washed his hands. "Don't be so sure Taehyung. There are still some good people. I overheard Jonghyun saying there's a prodigy among them." The one wearing sunglasses sat on the counter. "Tch Namjoon you know for a fact that we're gonna win. I want the hot babe I'm performing with to get into our school. She'll be like 'Aww oppa~ Thank you very much. Should I reward you for all your hard work?'" The one named Taehyung said. "She also used you. If you don't win, then she'll be like 'Oppa, you . I should have picked someone else as my partner.'" Namjoon crossed his arms and aced like a mad girl. "Hell no. She loves me." 

"You two also sound terrible together. Wendy plays the flute and you play saxophone. The two pieces she picked don't match the theme. How are you gonna impress the judges?" Taehyung shurgged and said "With our looks." Namjoon laughed and shoved Taehyun. "That's not how a music competition works."

Jungkook listened silently to their conversation. He didn't like to eavesdrop, but there was nothing else to do while he was hiding. He glanced down at his watch 2:29. "Oh man I need to practice. But I don't want to interrupt anything... Ugh." Jungkook unlocked the restroom stall and made his way over to the sinks on the far end, away from Taehyun and Namjoon. Surprisingly, they didn't notice him at first. When Jungkook turned the knob to wash his hands, they glanced over at him. Jungkook tried to avoid any contact with the two strangers.

"Hey are you performing?" Namjoon spoke up. Jungkook said nothing and continued to wash his hands. He could hear footsteps approach him. "Hey, I don't like it when people don't answer to my questions. Now, are you performing or not?" Namjoon said sternly. Again, Jungkook stayed quiet while he dried his hands. He was about to open the door when Taehyung placed his hands on the door, preventing him from leaving. "My friend here asked you a question. Let this be easy and answer us." He could feel Taehyung's eyes looking at him intensely. Jungkook open his mouth to speak when the door flew open. "Kookie are you in here? You wer-" Jungkook thanked God. Shinwoo walked in at just the right time. Shinwoo looked at Taehyung and Namjoon, then at me. His eyes widened a bit realizing the situation. "You didn't do anything to him did you?" Shinwoo raised an eyebrow at them. Both didn't reply. "Whatever. Kookie let's go." He pulled his hand harshly out and away from the restroom. Jungkook looked back at the two unreadable faces staring at him before the door swung back, covering their faces. 

In the restroom...

"Rude little bastard...Didn't even answer my simple question." Namjoon huffed. "Forget it. He isn't worth our time. Now, let's go." Taehyung pulled on Namjoon's shirt. "V, let me go. Give me a minute or two. I'm thinking of something to do if I see that little er again." Namjoon rubbed his temples together in deep thought (Does that make sense ?^?). "Rap Monster, we aren't gonna see him again. If he's a performer, he ain't gonna get into the school. He looks like he doesn't have a ounce of talent." V tried to get Rap Monster to get up. "Hyung let's go. I want to watch the other performers fall into our shadow." V said.

"Well, I guess your right. More of a body builder than musician. Sorta like Jimin." Rap Monster chuckled a little as he and V exited the restroom.

In the practice room...

Jungkook put together his clarinet. He took his reed out of his mouth and tightened the ligature onto the mouth piece. He used his thumbs to get the reed perfectly in the center. "A little to the left... Omo to much. Now to the right..." Jungkook thought.

Shinwoo breathed out a hefty sigh as he watched his friend spend more time on his reed that on him. "Kookie, hurry up. You still have to put rosin on the bow for you violin performance." He complained as Jungkook focused on the reed.

"Hyung, it has to be perfectly aligned or else it sounds a bit of. And plus I still have to adjust the barrel so my notes don't sound flat or sharp." He pushed his thumb a little to the right before deciding it looked perfect. "Screw the tuning process. It's like 2:31 already. We only have 14 minutes to practice." Shinwoo said.

"Just give me a minute and I'll set up my violin." He played a open G then high F before pulling the barrel a bit out (Anyone else know what I'm taking about? Just me? Okay then.). Jungkook took a deep breath and blew again. "Perfection."

Shinwoo handed him his violin case and opened it up. Jungkook lifted the velvet cover and removed the bow from its holder. A small chunk of rosin was rubbed against the strings. He carefully placed the shoulder rest on his shoulder (OBVIOUSLY​) and straightened his wrist. He swiped the bow against the A string before turning the tuning peg just a smidge. "Okay done. Let's practice." Shinwoo sighed as he sat down on the piano bench "Finally. You take forever to set up." Shinwoo opened up his music booklet and cracked his knuckles. Jungkook placed his violin down and picked up his clarinet. 

"Ready?" "Ready." Jungkook took a deep breath before Shinwoo played the intro. He closed his eyes before opening them once more to play the solo part. Jungkook let himself become engulfed in the music before Shinwoo stopped. "Let's practice your violin solo before we perform." Junkook just noddd before carefully setting down his clarinet. He adjusted the shoulder rest and positioned his fingers. Shinwoo nodded at him and started to place again. "Wait for the down beat... The F# key... Now!" Jungkook moved his wrist back and forth, guiding the bow along the strings. 

Elegent music spilled out of the violin as the bow rubbed against the strings. "A walk through the streets of Paris... Late night date... Dancing under the natural light of the moon... A couple running through the streets without a care in the world..." This is what Jungkook thought of the piece. It fitted the theme perfectly. They were interrupted by the same old man by who Jungkook checked in with. "Jungkook, it is time for your performance. Enter from stage left. Exit stage right." They both nodded and grabbed their sheet music. Of course, the piano was far to heavy to carry. But the clarinet and violin weren't. The old man guided the duo to a small door back stage. "Good luck young man." He patted both of their backs. Shinwoo and Jungkook bowed to him before turning their backs, waiting for their names to be called.


*Our next performers is Jeon Jungkook who is playing the clarinet and violin. His accompaniment is Shin Dong Woo of SKSM Class A-4 on piano. The two music scores are Mozart's Concerto for Clarinet, K. 622​(Click Allegro Under Recordings) and Mozart's Sonata For Violin In G Major No. 27​(Press play MIDI to play I think).*

Jungkook started to breath a bit faster than normal. His grip tightened around his sheet music and instruments. Shinwoo gave Jungkook an assuring look. Shinwoo's calm eyes and his healing smile (Does that make sense? LAY!!) made Jungkook feel at ease. They both walked on stage and bowed to the 5 judges. 

*Hello Gentlemen. Our judges today are Kwon Ji Yong, Dong Yong Bae, Choi Seunghyun, Kang Daesung and Lee Seung Hyun. Best of luck on your performance.*

The judges exchanged a few words before turning towards the duo. Jiyong tapped the mic and said "You may start whenever your ready gentlemen." They nodded and sat down. Shinwoo set up his sheet music on the music rack and Jungkook adjusted his reed one last time. Jungkook looked up and his chocolate brown eyes met Shinwoo's cola eyes. His eyes sparkled under the bright stage light. They nodded once again before turning back to their own instruments. "Ready... Set... Showtime."


K/B

So how was that for a first chapter? It's probably the shortest chapter so far among the two stories I'm currently writing.

Fun fact if you didn't know already, I play clarinet. First ing clarinet. MUHAHAHAHAHA I BEAT THE PEOPLE IN THE GRADE ABOVE ME!!! MOST OF THE CLARINETS ARE A GRADE LEVEL ABOVE ME SO HA!  ._. 

I also played violin in 4th grade... I still remember a little bit but I know more clarinet that violin. 

Anyways... I hope you liked this chapter. I MAY have accidently given a sneak peak yesterday when I was writing but hopefully you are reading when I write this little part at the bottom.

BYE BYE!

(っ˘з(▰˘◡˘▰) Losta Loves