Chapter 17: Explanation

Cinderella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why did you come?” I softly whisper to him, as we lie in bed together with our legs tangled together. We stare at each other with no limits.

“Because I could?” He replies casually.

I know that coming to see me wouldn’t have been easy for him, but the fact that he came here means a lot to me. It means, I wasn’t a joke to him…right?

“I want to explain,” He slowly starts off with a serious tone.

Yes…the explanation that I’ve been waiting for ages. The answers no one has been telling me!

I look at him and wait for him to continue talking. He seems to be struggling how to begin, so impatiently I add in, “Why don’t you begin with the picture.”

He bites on his lower lip and gives me the first explanation. “Sehun, Kyungsoo, Mina, Baekhyun and I were best friends. We were close friends because our families knew each other and we were similar ages. As we entered middle school, Baekhyun got a girlfriend and he drifted apart from us. Then in high school, Mina and I started dating. I guess our parents were already discussing marriage between us…”

Marriage…so it’s true that they will be getting married.

“I only liked Mina as a friend though, but I knew that I didn’t really have another option…”

I wanted him to stop talking. I knew that it was the future and reality, but I didn’t want to face at this moment. When the time was so precious and everything was perfect, I didn’t want to come back to reality.

“Tell me about your parents.” I try to change the subject, but immediately realize he doesn’t like his father. Crap, should have avoided this topic!

“…haha, Dad is an , mum is dead.” He spoke with such light-heartedness that it surprised me. I didn’t know how talking about his parents with such depression could also bring laughter to him.

I guess, the pain was too much for him to handle. I guess he couldn’t explain his parents without feeling a little crazy…

“Mum was sweet. She was perfect in my eyes. However, she was poor. She was a piano teacher, and she wasn’t from a rich family or anything. On the other hand, my dad was always the rich aristocratic snob. I still don’t know why my mum would choose a man like him!” His voice was with more anger. Every time he spoke about his father, he spoke with so many emotions. Hatred, pity, disgust and love.

“When they got married, people started to talk about mum and call her nicknames like peasant. She was treated like a beggar amongst the arrogant high class bastards. She hated everything about her life, except me. She only stayed because of me…But I guess the pressure on her drove her crazy. She started to lose parts of her. She was too weak to handle the new lifestyle. If dad was just there for her…if he just paid more attention to her…then she might still be here with me…”

And for the first time I saw tears in his eyes.

“so…so Haena, I really, really miss her.”

Tears trickled down his cheeks.

I touched his face softly and wiped the tears away. He looked like a child in great pain. I felt like I was seeing the reflection of me when dad left mum and me. But I guess he never had the chance to express his sadness. I think all the emotions were bottled up in him for years now.

“I know. I know what it feels like.” I pull him into my chest and cuddle him. He sobs silently within me. And throughout the night we talk about a million things. We talk till we don’t know we have fallen asleep.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Next morning I wake up with a lighter head as I realize all the headache has disappeared.

…1,800 won…

Is gone.

“You knew he would be gone…you knew better than expecting more.” I whisper to myself and pick my emotions together.

I crawl out of bed and get ready for school. I know better than to stay in bed and cry all day. Crying doesn’t change anything, because dad didn’t come back even after five days of non-stop crying. Nothing changes with reckless emotions.

However, I don’t expect anything to change between me and 1,800won. We are just retu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter