Chapter 13: Holding on

Cinderella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Haena, why are you so down?” Mina asks me as we are walking out of school.

I look up at the sky and see the blazing sun. “Because, I feel , but the day is really pretty.” I reply softly.

When I woke up in the morning, I hoped it was all a dream and although he rejected me, I just hoped if I walked into the living room, he would be outside waiting on his bicycle. But, the living room was empty, and I was alone again. Tears trickled down my cheeks without my permissions. I quickly whipped it off my face and made myself breakfast.

He left like how my father left. It was sudden. The next morning, they just disappeared.

I glance over at Mina who seems to be happier today.

I know why she’s happier, but I pretend like she has always been. I have millions of questions to ask her but I feel like I know where the answer lies.

“Did you hear about Jongin?” She beams at me with her eyes twinkling.

“Yes.” I tell her indifferently and walk away before she can approach me further.

 

Suddenly from behind I hear footsteps. I try to walk faster assuming it’s Mina. Why does she want to talk to me?!

“Haena, do you want to come to the gala party tonight? It’s going to be really nice. Bright lights, pretty dresses and everything you imagine a princess’ party to be like.” As expected Mina runs after me and asks me.

I shake my head. I’m not in the mood for bright lights or pretty dresses. I don’t need to be Cinderella anymore. I don’t want to Cinderella! I just want to be next to the guy I like…

And…and Mina would know where this guy is…

No, Jang Haena. He left you. Don’t go.

“But I don’t have a dress…” I whisper ashamed of myself for hinting my desire to go.

She replies with greater enthusiasm, “Don’t worry, those are all fixable! I have a dress for you, and I’ll send you a car. This party will get you excited and hyped. You have to come.” She almost sounded like she was threatening me.

She clasped my hands between hers and gave me the doggy eyes. “Please Haena? I have no friends other than you.” She begs

…you might be able to see him…no, you shouldn’t go. My mind debates ferociously over the subject. I close my eyes and flick away all that is in my head. I will just do what I want to do.

I reluctantly nod my head and she screams with happiness. I don’t understand why me coming with her is making her so happy, when I am a potential threat to stealing her boyfriend, well ex-boyfriend.

“See you tomorrow!” Mina blows me a kiss and runs to her black sedan, ultra-fancy car. I wonder why that rich girl is so interested in a poor guy like Kim Jongin. Don’t they have arranged marriages between rich people?! She should just get married to one of them.

 

I walk back home, alone, for the first time in a very long time. It feels longer and lonelier. I don’t know why it’s so cold when it’s already spring time.

I look next to me, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter