Chapter 47

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 47

 

After her usual early dismissal, Yeojin decided to stop by the hospital. She wanted to take care of her mom, but both her mom and mother-in-law didn't let her stay long and told her to go home and do her final paper instead. With reluctance, she obeyed.

Massaging her strain shoulders from hours of perching in front of the laptop, she groaned and decided to take a break. She stood up and stretched her body. After getting some snacks for both herself and Jinho who just came back from school, she continued working on her final paper.

Hours later, Mr. Ahn came up to tell her that Jongin was waiting downstairs. She was tired from doing the final paper, and honestly, she didn't look forward to having a dance lesson. But maybe Jongin could help drive away her tiredness with his weird talk like usual. Though dancing wasn't her forte, spending time with Jongin never bothered her.

"Hey, muck! Let's-" Yeojin came to a halt when she entered the dance studio and found no Jongin.

Instead, Sehun was standing there by the window.

Upon her entrance, he turned and walked toward her but stopped at a distance.

"Sehun?" Her voice came above a whisper and she blinked several times. "Where's Jongin?"

Sehun scratched his brow and cleared his throat. "I asked him for a favor. He's with Lin at the back garden, I think."

"Oh." She cleared . "I told Lin to give you your jacket. Did you get it already?"

"Yeah, she gave it to me earlier. Yeojin, I need to talk with you-"

"I'm busy with the final paper," Yeojin quickly cut him off and pulled on a smile. "I'll go back to my room. Please tell Jongin to call me if he's done talking with Lin." She turned for the door, feeling her heart going wild with confusing emotions again.

Sehun didn't want to lose his chance. With long steps, he approached her, grabbed her arm, and turned her around. Yeojin's eyes rounded in surprise when she found herself in his embrace.

"I miss you," he spoke in a low voice that he sounded broken. "I miss you, Yeojin. Every day. I've been afraid to talk to you, but I always want to see you. That's why I always come here. I miss you."

Yeojin was at loss for words. She thought he had move on from her. 

"I believe you," he spoke again. "I believe that Kris is not your husband." Her breath hitched at his words. "But I..." He heaved a breath. "I... don't want to lose you. Yeojin, I want you. And don't lie, I know you feel the same way too."

Her mind searched for the right words to reply, yet she couldn't find them, much less her voice. She suddenly had the urge to run away, but she felt weak. It almost felt like she was going to fall deeper into his warmth.

This was not right. This wasn't supposed to happen, she thought.

"Let's date for real," he firmly told her while tightening his arms around her. "Be my girlfriend, Jin."

Taking a deep breath, Yeojin wriggled herself free from his hug and pushed him at an arm's length. She held onto his upper arms and stared up at him. She couldn't believe she would have to break another heart in one day.

"Sehun." She sighed. "I can't. We can't."

"Why? Jin, look at me and tell me you never feel anything for me."

"It's... it's not-" She looked away and bit her tongue before staring back at him with a frown. "Sehun, do you even realize that you're using Lin?" 

"What?" His brows met closer in the middle.

"You said you've been coming here for me." Yeojin closed her eyes. "Lin likes you, idiot!"

The wrinkles on his forehead eased. His eyes widened by a fraction, and the sternness in them was replaced by surprise. His hold around her were loosened before his arms fell to his side.

"I didn't- what- no-" His gaze strayed from her as if it was looking for the answer to his confusion. He placed a hand on his hip and pressed the other on his forehead. "I-I-I didn't know." He stared back at her. "I swear," he added. "I didn't mean to use her. I was just- Damn it! I should've known." He cursed himself while squeezing his eyes shut.

Yeojin exhaled a long breath. "Don't hurt her. She's a good girl." She looked away. "I'll go back up. Tell Jongin I'll call him later. I don't think I have time for any lesson today." She quickly turned and walked away even though she heard him calling for her again.

 


 

Lin huffed a breath in frustration and rolled her eyes up. "If you're going to just talk about random nonsense, then I'm going back in," she flatly told Jongin who immediately stopped laughing. "I have someone waiting inside." She turned around, but was stopped by Jongin who jogged ahead and blocked her way.

"Wait." He gave her a small smile to which she only narrowed her eyes. "I have to tell you something."

Lin rolled her eyes. "That's what you said before you talked nonsense a while ago."

Jongin chuckled. "Yeah, sorry about that."

The girl sighed and crossed her arms lazily. "Okay, what did you have to tell me?"

Jongin lowered his head while scratching his nape. Honestly, he didn't really know what else to say. He was just trying to stall the time for Sehun to talk with Yeojin. He didn't like the idea of Sehun and his friend together, but the guy had pleaded. And maybe, they really needed to talk. Besides, he got to spend time with Lin.

However, he was now left with no other topic to talk about with Lin. He was usually good with keeping conversations going, but he often found himself stumped when it came to Lin. No one had ever had this effect on him. What really could he talk about now? Should he tell her about...?

He his lip nervously before biting it. A soft groan escaped Lin's lips before she pushed him to the side.

"Alright. That's it! I'm going back in." She walked away from him.

Jongin briefly squeezed his eyes before turning toward her. Taking a deep breath, he finally said, "I like you."

Her steps immediately came to a halt. 

His heart strangely felt lighter despite the quick pace of its beat. The smile he used to put on appeared. "I like you, Lin," he repeated with more confidence.

For some reason, Lin found her heart picking its pace. Jongin was the last person she expected to like her. He often gave her compliments, but she always thought of them as one of his flirting jokes because he liked to joke around like that. Maybe this time he was just joking.

Forcing her lips to curl into a lopsided smile, Lin turned back to him. "Quit joking, Kim Jongin."

Jongin chortled. "I'm not though." He grinned.

Her smirk faltered and her lips slightly parted in disbelief. She blinked at him while he gave her a smile that looked more sincere than his usual one. As much as she wanted to believe he was just joking, he didn't look like he was. Before she could let herself overthink it, she cleared and smirked. It was getting awkward; and even though she hated to admit it, she wouldn't like it if they got awkward.

"Well, I'm no easy girl, Kim Jongin." She crossed her arms. "Your flirting attempts don't work on me. And you'll have to best Sehun for my heart." She stuck her nose in the air. "Now, if you'll excuse me." Turning around, she heaved a relieved breath and patted her chest to calm herself. Why was she so flustered, she couldn't understand.

Jongin was stunned by her reply, but he soon regained his wits and realized that Sehun might still be talking with Yeojin. "H-hey, Lin! Wait!" He ran after her while she walked faster.

"Sorry. I can't accept your feelings!" She hollered without turning to him.

"Alright. But wait-"

"Oh! Sunbae!"

They both stopped in their tracks when they saw Sehun step out from the dance studio. He looked somehow stupefied, Jongin observed and frowned. Lin, on the other hand, couldn't keep her grin from growing when she jogged to him.

"Oh, hey," Sehun belatedly reacted.

With fluttering feelings rising in her, she carefully touch his arm. "You'll stay for dinner right?"

Sehun's eyelids flickered when he saw her pleading eyes. Remembering Yeojin's words, he felt stupid for not realizing Lin's feelings for him sooner. How could he overlook the way she looked at him? It should have given it away.

Gently, he pushed her hand on his arm and gave her a tight smile. "I'm sorry. I can't. I have to go now."

"Okay." Lin pouted but soon beamed again. "You can join our dinner tomorrow."

Sehun rubbed his nape. "About that... I think I can't give you a ride home anymore." He paused when he saw her frowned and quickly added, "I have final paper to finish."

The girl sighed but slowly nodded. "I understand."

Sehun looked past her and met eyes with Jongin. "Yeojin said she will call you." Then he bobbed his head in silent thanks for the favor.

Jongin bobbed his head in return and watched Lin the younger guy to the door. Sehun bid good bye causing Lin to heavily sighed in disappointment again. Jongin didn't miss the way she frowned in thought before glancing up the stairs. 

She then narrowed her eyes at him and muttered, "So much for confessing!" With a click of the tongue and a shake of the head, she went up to her room leaving him there alone.

Jongin knew right then that she had figured out the reason he brought her to the back garden. Regret settled in his heart when he thought of the timing he chose to confess his feelings. Because favor to help Sehun aside, the confession was not a lie. He pursed his lips and ruffled his hair.

Now she'll think I lied!


 

A little JongLin for you because why not? Oh! And yes, Jongin is older than Sehun, Yeojin, and (of course) Lin here ^^ Is this chapter too short though? Just wondering.

And why do I feel like my writing skill is rotting? lol But thank you for sticking around.