Chapter 4

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 4

 

"No! No! No! Stay with me, Dad!" Yeojin cried hard pressing one hand on the wound on his stomach from which hot red liquid was gushing out. Her other hand cradled his head. Her dad gasped for air as tears kept on rolling down her cheeks. The darkness of the night and drops of water from the sky clothed them as the sound of the sky's drum echoed through out the city. Her attention then was shifted to the guy who stood up and immediately threw his fist hitting the jaw of another man sending him to the ground while the knife dropped sliding away.

"Wait! No! Stop! Just let him leave! NO!"

Yeojin screamed as she sat up on her bed and found herself panting for air. Her eyes widened in horror and sweats trickled down her forehead. The pair of eyes darted around the room and she took in a deep breath after realizing she was in her bedroom.

'Twas a nightmare. Only, it wasn't just an ordinary nightmare. It was a memory. A memory she wished to forget.

She hung her head down and brought one hand to her neck. felt sore.

BRRT BRRT BRRT
Her phone vibrated - actually, had vibrated for a few minutes - on the bedside table.

She slowly picked it up from the table while her other hand still caressed her sore throat.

Mom
The name flashed on the screen.

"Mom?"

"Thank goodness, you're finally awake! Are you feeling alright?"

"Umm... Yes? Why?"

"Yifan called me earlier to call your home room teacher."

"Huh? Why would he--" she paused and scanned her room when she just realized that her room was full of light. She immediately checked her clock on the table. 10:20.

Why didn't he wake me up?!
She squeezed her eyes and cussed mentally.

"He said I should tell Mrs. Han that you will be absent today because you're sick. Are you okay, honey? Do you want me to come there?"

Yeojin sighed and threw her body to lean back on the bed. "No, Mom. It's okay. I was just too tired yesterday and overslept."

"Araso... Don't forget to eat and take some vitamins. Oh! And your mother said you don't have to come for your private lesson today."

"Okay, mom~"

"Don't study too hard. Okay, honey? I love you!"

"Love you too, Mom!"

She sighed and stared at the ceiling.

"Why didn't he wake me up?" She pouted. "Revenge?" She scoffed. "Now what should I do at home all day?"

She lazily got up and walked out of the room to the kitchen while tapping on the screen of her phone.

23 missed calls. 5 chat notifications. 3 text messages.

She tap on the chat application and saw all the chat notifications were from one sender: Sunhee.

08.25 Ya! Where are you?
08.28 You're going to be late.
08.35 Mrs. Han's here? Where are you????
09.45 Mrs. Han said you're sick. What happened? Are you awake yet?
09.47 Chat me when you're awake.

She took a seat on one of the high stools of the island counter in the kitchen before tapping her reply.

10.28 Hey! I just woke up.
10.28 Got too tired. Overslept ;p

She then switched to read the text messages. And all three are also from one sender: Ice Block 2. Her eyes widened when she read the name.

From: Ice Block 2
08.20 Ya MVP! Meet me during the first break.

9.45 I'm in front of my locker. Just come here. Have something quick to say.

9.57 Ya! Where are you? Are you going to ignore my texts too?

She then quickly looked at the list of missed calls and realized that 8 are from her mom, 5 from Sunhee, and 10 from Sehun. She sniggered when she saw how his missed calls exceeded her mom's.

Then, an image of his pissed off face came to her mind making her laugh.
"I guess it's good that I woke up late. At least I can be away from one ice block today!" She giggled to herself.

Just then, her stomach rumbled and she immediately pressed her stomach. She came down from the stool to make herself a breakfast when she saw a pot with a paper placed on top of the lid.

I made a chicken soup for myself. Eat the leftover if you want to. Heat it if it's cold.

She lifted the lid and saw half of the pot are still full of the soup.

"This is leftover? This is a lot!" She shook her head in amusement. "Then again... When else can I taste his cooking!" She grinned.

 


Kris sat on the chair at the end of the long and wide fable with the vice chairman, Park Changsun, sitting beside him and the other older - much older men - sitting on both sides of the table. The meeting had gone on for almost three hours.

Kris propped his elbows on the table and laced his fingers in front of him. He leaned forward bringing his laced hands close to his lips. One of the directors was talking and giving suggestions. Yet, his voice was but a distant sound in Kris' ears as his mind was at the moment taking him back to that morning.

The Morning
"Ya! Wake up!" Kris stood beside the bed burying his hands in the pockets of his trousers. He was already dressed in his working attire. He looked down on the figure who was sleeping so peacefully on the bed. "Aren't you going to school?!" He raised his voice, but Yeojin didn't even budge or flinched. He looked at his watch and saw that it was already 7.15. /Isn't she going to be late?/ "Ugh! Jinja! This girl!" He groaned. "Ya! I need to go! Quickly wake up!" He pulled away her blanket making her flinch and knit her eyebrows at the sudden coldness hitting her skin, but her eyes were still closed. She turned to lean sideways and her body curled as if into a ball while she hugged herself.

Kris let out a deep sigh and sat down beside her on the edge of the bed. "Ya! Wake up, will you?!" He poked the side of her arm repeatedly, but she didn't give any response. "Ya~!" He shook her shoulder and this time she grumbled incoherent words while scratching her head, obviously annoyed. Yet, she still didn't open her eyes. "KWON YEOJIN! Wake up now!" He shook her one more time before brushing away her hair that covered her face and tucking them behind her ears. He snickered when he saw her frowning and pouting with closed eyes. /She didn't even come back that late yesterday. Is she really this tired?/ His fingers lingered on her hair.

His upward curl then turned into a straight line as he pursed his lips. /All because of that wedding ring?/ He watched the steady rise and fall of her body as she breathed and slept peacefully. His gaze fell on her face. He just realized how long her eyelashes were, how pinch-able her cheeks were, and how funny she looked when she occasionally scrunched her nose. His gaze then naturally fell on her lips that parted a bit as she inhaled and exhaled. Suddenly, he felt his heart skipped a beat at the view and a sudden urge to press his lips against hers rose inside of him.

Kris quickly shut his eyes at the thought. /What are you thinking, Yifan? You hate her!/ He shook his head and looked away from her while loosening the knot on his tie that suddenly felt like strangling him. /I better call her mom to inform her home room teacher. This girl is seriously not waking up./

He was about to stood up when Yeojin shouted. "You ice block!"

Kris immediately whipped his head toward her. He blinked a few times when he realized that the girl was in fact still sleeping. He tilted his head to one side staring at her who was mumbling something. She was sleep talking. "Oh Sehun! You're an ice block like him!" She pouted. "Oh Sehun... Sehun....m#%^*!"

"Sehun?" He quirked an eyebrow.

I'm hell sure I've heard the name somewhere! Kris' mind spoke while one of the directors was still talking. Who is this Sehun person?

Ever since last night, his mind had been working trying to remember who the person his sister mentioned over the phone was. He knew he had heard the name before. He just couldn't remember. He was going to shrug off his attempt to remember the person, but the fact that his wife mumbled his name in her sleep caused his curiosity to resurface.

And what's his relationship with that girl? The question seemed to slap himself as fast as it popped in his head. What am I thinking?! He squeezed his eyes; his forehead wrinkled. Why should I care of his relationship with her? That Sehun guy might just be another spoilt rich kid I met somewhere.

"Chairman?" The voice of Mr. Park snapped him away from his thoughts making him opened his eyes. He turned his head to the man beside him and cocked an eyebrow.

"Do you want to add anything?" The vice chairman asked.

"Ah!" Kris just remembered that he was still in the middle of meeting with the board of directors. He then leaned back on his chair. "I think it's enough. Although...I don't think we should join hands with Geum Enterprise just yet. There must be a reason why the late chairman didn't agree to it. But we can discuss about it in the next meeting." Some directors nodded and a few minutes later the meeting was finally dismissed.

Kris stood up from his chair and Mr. Lee came to his side rereading him his next schedule for after lunch as they exited the meeting room.

"Chairman!" A voice called and Kris stopped in his steps. He turned around and saw Mr. Park walking towards him with a smile.

"If you have time, I want to talk to you over lunch."

"I got a lot of work I need to finish. I won't be going out for lunch, so if you insist... An ordered lunch at my office?"

"Sure. As long as I can talk to you." The older man grinned and they both walk to the elevator.


"Excuse me, sir!" Mr. Lee knocked the door before coming into the office as the two most powerful men in the company sat themselves down on the sofas. "What would you like for lunch?"

"Will you be okay with beef bowl?" Kris raised an eyebrow at the man sitting in front of him.

"Sure. Anything."

"Two beef bowls then, Mr. Lee." His PA nodded and walked to the door. "Wait." Kris stooped him when a thought crossed his mind. "Actually, make it three!"

Mr. Lee was surprised and confused but he nodded anyway and excused himself.

 


"So...Yeojin eonni is absent today?" Lin asked Sunhee as they sat down on one of the benches in the indoor court. They were having the usual combined P.E class. The girls had played dodge ball and it was the boys' turn to play.

"Yeah she said she actually was just too tired that she overslept. She also grumbled about your brother not waking her up," the older chuckled while downing her water and Lin joined in laughter shaking her head.

"But then...," Lin's eyebrows furrowed in thought, "maybe gege was just being considerate. Maybe he knew how tired eonni is, so he let her rest."

"I don't think your brother cares about Yeojin though, at least not after they were married."

"That's what I've always thought until yesterday!" Lin chirped excitedly.

"Yesterday?"

"Yes! He called me last night to ask about eonni's whereabout. What surprised me was how worried he sounded."

"Really?" Sunhee's eyes widened and Lin bobbed her head in reply.

"YA! WATCH OUT!" Someone suddenly shout and both girls snapped their head when they saw a ball flying toward them. Their eyes widened, but before they could dodge it, the ball hit Lin's head sending her to fall from her seat with a thump.

"Oh my gosh! Lin! Are you okay?" Sunhee quickly crouched beside her helping her to sit up.

"I'm okay, I'm okay!" She patted Sunhee's hand that rested on her shoulder while squeezing her eyes trying to blink away the dizziness she was feeling.

"Are you okay?" A rather calm voice greeted Lin's ears and she slowly opened her eyes. She felt her heart stopped beating when she saw Sehun kneeling on one knee in front of her.

Seeing how she did not respond, Sehun rested his hands on both sides of her head and pulled her head closer for him to examine her forehead. Lin felt her heart beating crazily at the close distance separating them.

"Just a small bump." He touched her forehead.

"Is she okay?" A different guy asked nervously.

"Ya! You should've been careful!" The coach slapped the back of that guy's neck.

Sehun didn't respond to them, and instead looked at her in the eyes before showing three fingers of his in front of her.

"How many fingers am I showing?" He asked her worriedly his eyebrows met in the middle.

"T-th-three!" Lin answered stuttering as her heartbeat had not slowed down its pace. Sehun sighed in relief when he heard her answer. Sunhee sniggered seeing how the younger girl was obviously blushing.

"Ya!" Sehun turned to his nervous friend. "Apologize!" He nodded his head toward Lin.

"Sorry, Lin!" His friend said while rubbing the back of his neck.

"I-I-It's okay!" She replied.

"Okay, now! Go back to the court, boys." The coach instructed them and walked back to the court first.

Sehun stood up and extended a hand to help Lin stand. She stared at his hand for a while before finally taking it and stood up.

"Sorry again!" Sehun apologized on behalf of his friend with his usual poker face.

"It's okay! It's not your fault." Lin smiled nervously and Sehun and his friend nodded before jogging back to the court.

Lin put her hand on her chest trying to stop her heart from pounding faster. Sunhee stood up and slung an arm around Lin's neck.

"Is he really worth that much pink dust on your cheeks?" Sunhee giggled while poking Lin's cheek.

"Ah! Eonni~!"



"Shall we come to her house after school?" Sunhee suggested as they sat down in the cafeteria.

"Let's call her and ask!" Lin replied with a smile.

A bubble tea suddenly appeared in front of Lin's widened eyes. She blinked a few times before her eyes followed the hand holding the bubble tea and she landed her gaze on the owner of the hand.

"Take it! It's my token of apology." Sehun's lips quirked upward a bit in what seemed like a small smile.

Did he just smile? He smiled! He smiled to ME!
Lin cheered in her heart while Sunhee stared at the boy in surprise.

"It's okay, sunbaenim. Y-you don't have to. It wasn't your fault anyway." Lin pushed the bubble tea away. Sehun sat down in front of them and held out the bubble tea to Lin again.

"I've already bought it for you, and I have one myself." He showed his bubble tea held in his other hand. "Won't it be rude to reject it?" Sehun smirked sending thousands of butterflies flapping their wings in Lin's stomach.

"O-o-okay!" She took the bubble tea and bobbed her head in thanks and Sehun drank his bubble tea.

Lin and Sunhee awkwardly nudged and glanced at each other. They didn't say anything, but both had one same question in mind: what does Oh Sehun want?

"Actually," Sehun surprised them. Though his eyes were still glued on his bubble tea, he knew they felt awkward with him being there. "I wanted to ask where that MV-- I mean Yeojin-ssi is. I need to talk to her, but I haven't seen her all day. Where is she?" He asked with his usual flat tone.

"Ah~ she's absent today! She's not feeling well. She said she's too tired." Sunhee replied with a smile.

"Tired?" Sehun scoffed. "And that's the girl entitled the best runner!" He chuckled dryly. "She could've at least replied my text messages," he mumbled to himself and stood up.

"Thanks!" He quickly said to them and walked away before any of them could respond.

 


"He did?" Yeojin asked while laying on the couch; her hand held the remote control of the TV clicking it to flip through the channels while her other hand was holding her phone close the her ear.

"Yeah! He just walked away. That ice prince was willing to talk to us just to know where you are!" Sunhee answered laughing and Yeojin only chuckled.

"Eonni!" Came Lin's voice. "Where were you last night?"

"Last night?" She quirked her eyebrows. "W-why?"

"Gege sounded so worried about you. He called me to ask where you were."

Yeojin's eyes widened as she slowly sat up. He was worried?

"Ooh~ the ice king and ice prince looking for you," Sunhee sang amused.

All Yeojin could remember from last night was Kris nagging her. Since the morning she only remembered that she felt so tired because of the meeting. But one mention of Kris made her mind trace back to last night. And now she was reminded of the real cause of her tiredness and that the root of their fight last night was her lost wedding ring.

"Ah~ I was...just...out for a walk hehe," she answered nervously.

"Ye?!"

DING DONG.
The doorbell sounded.

"I gotta go. Someone's at the door. Bye." Yeojin quickly hung up avoiding to be asked further. She then walked to the intercom.

"Who is it~?" She asked as she pressed a button on the intercom.

"Annyeonghaseyo, young miss!" A man with a smile came to view on the screen and Yeojin immediately noticed the man.

"Oh! Mr. Lee!" Her eyes widened in surprise. It had been long since she last saw the man because his responsibilities were of office matters unlike Mr. Ahn who handled the Wu household matters. "Wait a moment. I'll open the door for you."

She went outside the house and walked to the single door on the wall gate. She unlocked it and the man immediately greeted her with a bow when the door was opened.

"Oh! Annyeonghaseyo! It's been long since I last saw you." Yeojin smiled cheerfully and the man returned her smile. "Is there anything you need? Did Kris leave anything?"

"Aniyo. Actually...," Mr. Lee handed Yeojin a plastic bag she didn't notice earlier. "The chairman asked me to deliver this to you." Yeojin took the plastic bag and peeked inside it. She gasped when she saw the packed beef bowl and glanced at Mr. Lee blinking at him.

"It's for your lunch, miss." The man smiled.

"Ah! Thank you, Mr. Lee!" She bowed a bit.

"You should thank your husband. He's the one who told me to buy it for you. I'll be going then." The man bowed and entered the car. Yeojin's eyes followed the car until it disappeared when it turned around the block.

"He's now ordering me lunch? What's with him?" She wandered as she looked at the packed food.



The chopsticks were placed on top of the emptied beef bowl box. Text books and papers were scattered near the box on the coffee table. She had been studying and doing the pile of assignments. Yeojin sat down on the carpet with her back leaning on the couch. She let out a deep sigh while watching the TV.

"This is boring." She pouted. She checked the clock on the wall and saw that it was already 5.00. "They should be done with school. I'll just call Sunhee then." She took her phone and tapped on it.

DING DONG.
The doorbell sounded before she could tap on Sunhee's contact.

"Oh? Who is it this time?"

DING DONG.

"Wait a moment!" She shouted as if the person outside could hear her. She then walked to the intercom. Her jaw dropped and her eyes were on the verge of popping out of their sockets when she saw the person on the screen.

"H-h-how does he-- What is he doing here?!"

DING DONG.

"Aish! Jinja!" She ruffled her hair and walked out of the house towards the gate.

"Ya! How do you know where I live?!" She immediately grumbled when she opened the door on the wall for the person she was so happy of not seeing for the day: Oh Sehun.

"'Ya'?Is that how you were taught to greet guest?" He leaned against his motorbike and scowled while she rolled her eyes.

"What do you want? And again how do you know my address?" She crossed her arms.

"I'm the student President, remember? Getting a student's contact info is an easy peasy for me."

"Hah!" She scoffed. "Using your power for your own gain huh?"

"Actually, I would prefer the term 'utilizing' my right."

"Whatever! What do you want?"

"Whoa! Easy there! Have you forgotten that I'm still your President? And if any of us should be mad, it should be me since you didn't pick up my calls nor replied my text messages."

Yeojin's face softened at that statement and she loosened her crossed arms. Right! Why am I so worked up?

"And judging from the way you're so worked up...," Sehun scanned her from head to toe, "you're tiredness must have gone, huh?" He smirked in despise and Yeojin looked away. "Anyway! I need to talk about the track & field competition. Can't you at least let me in?"

Yeojin's eyes immediately widened at his request. There was no way he's entering the house. Kris might arrived anytime soon.

"W-w-why do you want to come in? Just say it here. I thought you said in the message that it would be a quick one!"

Just then, a car passed in front of them. And it was none other than Kris' car which was rounding the house to enter the garage. Yeojin's eyes got wider and her heart fell when she saw the car.

Sehun cocked his head to one side staring at her somewhat horrified look and how she just stoned there. He was facing her with his back facing the road, so he didn't see the car passing them.

"Ya! Ya! MVP!" Sehun snapped his fingers in front of her. She blinked a few times before finally setting her eyes on him.

"C-c-can we just talk tomorrow?"

"Why?" He raised an eyebrow.


"Hm? Why is she standing at the door?" Kris leaned forward ducking his head a bit while driving. "Who's that guy? A guest?"

He passed in front of the house glancing at both figures. He tried to get a look at the unknown guy, but failed as the said person had his back on him. He rounded the house and entered the garage. He killed the engine and stepped out from the car before ducking back inside the car to take his suitcase. The doors of the car were locked with one click of the button on the key and Kris walked towards the front door of the house. He was just going to go straight into the house, but curiosity beat him. He turned to walk to where Yeojin was standing.

"What are you doing here?" Kris asked with such an uninterested tone though he was actually curious. He stood behind the girl and Yeojin turned her head to him and only stared with her widened eyes as if she just saw a ghost. "And who is this?" He looked at the guy and scanned him from head to toe. Ah! A schoolmate? He concluded after seeing the uniform worn under Sehun's black leather jacket.

Kris Wu?! Sehun wondered. If he didn't tried his best to look composed, he would probably look like Yeojin right now because seeing the chairman in that house was certainly not what he expected. A Wu in her house? Suddenly he was reminded of an engraving he saw earlier on a certain gold surface. Could it be--? He glanced at Yeojin who was still staring at the older guy.

Kris averted his gaze to the girl who was dumbstruck.

"A.. umm... This is... This is..." Yeojin looked back and forth at both guys.

"I'm Sehun." Sehun cut in while bobbing his head to greet. "Oh Sehun."

Kris turned his attention to the guy standing in front them. So this is him.

 


A/N:

I planned to update 3 chapters, but I couldn't find time to write that much.

But I thought I should at least update something for this story. So here it is :)

I might update more probably next week. Sorry for such a slow update :(