Chapter 14

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 14

 

 

Thanks,” Yeojin gave him the helmet with a smile.

“That’s like the nth time you thank me today,” Sehun let out a breathy chuckle.

“That’s because I am sincerely thankful.” Yeojin slightly pouted.

Sehun shook his head at her reaction and he unconsciously smiled again as he lowered his head.

“Ooh~ You’re smiling a lot today!” She grinned widely. “You should smile a lot more, you know.” She patted his shoulder making him move back a little, as he was flustered. “You look much more good looking that way!” She giggled and Sehun could only stare at her with rounded eyes.

His eyes soon softened before a glint of playfulness appear on them as his lips curled into a smirk. “So you’re admitting that I’m actually good looking, huh?”

Yeojin rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Tsk. Please. You’re too full of yourself, President-nim.” She chuckled and then yawned.

“It wasn’t the whole day and you’re already tired? Weakling!” He teased and she just poked out her tongue. But she then gave him a small smile.

“I’m going in! Thanks again. Bye, slowpoke!” She giggled and opened the door entering the wall. She heard the sound of his motorbike leaving her house when she closed the door behind her.

Yeojin yawned again as she entered her house. She was going to enter her room, but stopped for a moment when she saw Kris working at his corner. Papers were scattered beside his laptop on the table. Yeojin scratched her head unsure what to do. It had been somewhat awkward after the Chuseok and storage room incidents. They had made up – well, sort of – but she wasn’t sure of their standing. Are they friends now? Or was this all just the ‘peace period’ before the whole drama continue again?

She cleared . “I-I’m home.” She tried not to look him in the eyes when he lifted his head.

“O-oh! Y-you’re here,” Kris replied surprised before he looked at his watch which was indicating it was already past 7.

“Yeah haha,” Yeojin replied awkwardly.

“He dropped you off?” Kris asked and it didn’t take telepathy for Yeojin to know whom he was talking about as she nodded. “Ah… I see.”

They both looked away as the awkwardness thickened.

“I’m… pretty tired.” Yeojin started again. “So, I’ll just skip dinner, go change and sleep right away.”

“Yeah. Sure.” Kris cleared his throat. “Whatever.” He tried to sound cold.

“Yeah.” Yeojin bit her lip and rubbed the nape of her neck. “Good night.” With that she quickly entered the room.

 

 

Kris was awaken at midnight by the loud sound of thunder clapping. He immediately shot up from the couch and practically ran to the bedroom in panic. He was expecting to see a girl crying or curling up into a ball, but instead, the sight of her sleeping so soundly greeted him. He heaved a sigh of relief closing his eyes.

Well this is a first. She must be very tired. He concluded.

The next day Yeojin went earlier for the first day of the school event and went home with Sehun again at night. She didn’t want to seem like she enjoyed being taken home by him, but she couldn’t lie that she was pretty glad she didn’t have to walk back home – at least for today. Otherwise, she might faint in the middle of the way home because her whole body had lost its strength. And just like the day before, she only said as much as a ‘hi’ to Kris, who was perching at his corner, before she immediately went inside the bedroom.

Rain started pouring lightly. Yet despite the lulling sound of rain and the cold weather of autumn, Kris was still awake doing his work. He was so focused on his work; he didn’t even realize that it was raining.

It wasn’t until the rain gradually fell harder and the low rumble of the sky was heard did He look up from his work. The sound of the sky and the bright flashing of light outside made him stood up from his chair. He quickly opened the door to the only bedroom in the house. But just like the other day, the clamor outside didn’t even bother Yeojin.

Why did I even get panic over her again? He rubbed his face.

Thunder clapped loudly, but Yeojin unexpectedly didn’t move. A part of him was somehow disappointed. Somewhere deep within him, he wanted to feel her hand wrapping around his arms – or maybe even his waist – again.

Wait. What am I thinking? Kris shook his head to clear his mind from the ridiculous thoughts. He then walked towards the bed before sitting on the edge beside her to make sure that she was actually sleeping.

Somehow, looking at her peaceful countenance from up close like this made him want to just her head. Without realizing, his hand reached out to do so.

Aish! He retracted his hand soon after and squeezed his eyes. What am I doing? He quickly stood up and left the room going back to his corner.

The next day, Kris didn’t get to see Yeojin in the morning since she woke up earlier again.

“Sport competition, huh?” Kris mused as he read the note she left beside the plate of sandwich she made for him. He then took a bite of the sandwich before his mind wondered. Does she participate for the track & field competition?

4 Years Ago

Yifan panted as he arrived at the bus stop in front of her school.

“Sorry,” he said between his pants as the girl sitting in front of him with crossed arms only glared.

He then grinned at her, but she stood up and walked away.

“Eyy…,” he grabbed her by her upper arm turning her around. “Don’t be mad at me.”

When she looked away from him and was about to walk away again, he tried to pull her arm, but she whisks his hand away.

“Go away! I don’t want to see you!” She yelled and pouted before turning away again.

Yifan just chuckled shaking his head as he watched her walked further. He then jogged and caught up to her. He walked a bit ahead of her before turning to walk backward so he could look at her. She scoffed to the side and clicked her tongue.

Yifan chuckled again. “Yeojin~,” he cooed, “are you sure you don’t want to see me?” He raised an eyebrow teasing her and she just looked away from him. “Why were you waiting at the bus stop then?”

Yeojin immediately stopped in her steps and he too stopped. She uncrossed her arms and sent him daggers through her eyes before walking closer to him.

“Because I wanted to do this!” She stomped on his foot hard enough that Yifan winced in pain.

“Argh!” He stooped down to grab his foot. “Ya!” He gritted his teeth looking up at her who poked out her tongue at him.

“Serve you right!” She then walked past him.

Kris sighed in exasperation before he straightened up and once again ran after her. He grabbed her bag pulling her backward.

“Ya!” Yeojin tried to shrug off his hand away but to no avail. “Oppa! Let go, will you?!”

“Not until you hear me out.” His voice was stern, but not rude.

“Why should I? You broke your promise!” She frowned and disappointment could clearly be seen in her eyes.

“I’m sorry, okay?” He slowly let go of her bag as he looked at her in the eyes. “I really am. I wouldn’t miss your competition for the world, but…,” he sighed, “Suho held me up for some group project. You know how naggy he is,” he slightly pouted trying to win her forgiveness. “Forgive me?”

Her gaze softened and her shoulders slumped as she lowered her head. She could never be mad for too long toward her best friend.

“Fine,” she sighed adjusting the straps of her bag on her shoulder.

Kris immediately grinned. He slung an arm around her shoulders. “That’s more I like it!”

“But you still owe me that promise!” She hit his shoulder.

“Call! The next competition then!” Kris showed her a toothy smile and they started walking together with his arms around her shoulders. “Did you win, slowpoke?”

“You better not call me slowpoke again!” Yeojin narrowed her eyes pointing her finger at him. “Because I won!” She dug out a gold medal from the pocket of her sport trousers.

“Then, as a token of my apology and to celebrate your victory, I’ll treat you to a dinner.” Yeojin’s eyes lit up at that as she looked at him with a gleeful smile. “Chicken?” Her face fell as she shook her head. “Pork cutlet?” She clicked her tongue rolling her eyes. “Okay okay. Hanwoo?” The bright smile came back to her face as she nodded excitedly. “Hanwoo it is! Let’s call Lin too then.”

“Sure! Yeoksi! You’re the best, Oppa!” Yeojin praised.

“Of course I am! Isn’t that why I’m your best friend?”

Yeojin rolled her eyes. “Yeah yeah. Whatever.”

They continued walking with his arm still around her.

“So…,” Yifan started again. “Why didn’t you go home with Lin? She came right?” He asked with a smirk as if he already knew the answer.

Yeojin’s heart suddenly thumped faster. She cleared , her eyes looked elsewhere. Yifan leaned closer that their faces were only a few inches away.

“Were you waiting for me?” He grinned from ear to ear. “Were you still expecting me to come?”

Yeojin suddenly felt her cheeks heating up. She looked away from him to hide her reddening cheeks. Yifan chortled at her reaction.

“I’m here now,” he whispered close to her ear to more.

“Ah! Stop it!” She shrugged his arm off her shoulder and walked faster away from the still chuckling guy.

“Ya,” Yifan poke her shoulder when he caught up to her.

“What?” She retorted without looking at him in fear that her cheeks were still blushing.

“Prove me you’re the winner?”

“Huh?” Confused, she stopped for a moment and look at him, but he was already jogging ahead of her.

“Catch me, slowpoke!” With that, Yifan ran.

“Hey! That’s unfair!” Yeojin grumbled before starting to chase him. “Ya! Yifan oppa!”

 


Her vision started getting blurry and her breath was getting shorter with every move of her legs. Everything around her swirled and she couldn’t make out what was around her. The only thing she saw was a person with blonde hair running closer to her before everything became completely black.

 

 

Yifan lowered his cap to hide his face passing the people crowding over various snack booths on the school’s wide front yard. It wasn’t that he felt like an idol or a celebrity obliged to hide among the crowd, he just knew enough that showing up his face would attract a lot of attentions. Yes, he’s an alumnus of this school, so it wouldn’t be weird for him to attend the school’s event. Plus, his sister was attending Jaesan High School too. But the problem was he didn’t want anyone including his sister to know he’s there. He especially didn’t want her to know.

He sighed. I can never understand how the idols do this every single day!

He finally entered the school building with lesser people in it. He sighed in relief as he lifted his head a bit. But he soon lowered his head again when two girls wearing Jaesan’s sport uniform walked past him giggling and whispering recognizing who he was. Suddenly, another girl came running from ahead of him. He stopped for a moment when she ran past him as if he wasn’t even there.

“Ya! Ya! Ya!” She yelled making the two girls stop and eyed her. “You know what?” She slung an arm each around the other two girls’ necks.

Kris just continued walking shaking his head.

“Do you know that girl… that-that runner?” She asked the two between her pants. Kris instantly stopped as the girl continued when her friends just raised their eyebrows, “You know… the fastest one!”

“Yeah? Why?” One of her friends asked.

“She fainted!” Kris lifted his head in alarmed. “But that’s not all!” She continued making the other two wait in anticipation. “Oh Sehun carried her to the infirmary! Bridal style!” She squealed at the last part.

“REALLY?” The other two responded with rounded eyes.

“Yeah! That is sooo OMG right? How romantic! I wish I was the one fainting!” The girls continued to squeal but Kris’ ears were no longer paying attention to their conversation.

His mind went hazy for a few seconds and his heartbeat raced. He immediately walked faster as his mind tried to remember the layout of the school’s building.

 

Their giggles gradually died down.

“But did she really faint?” One of them asked.

“Yeah. Why did you ask?” The news bearer asked back cocking an eyebrow.

“Well… I was just wondering whether she just faked it to get close to Oh Sehun. Rumor has it that her dad, the coach, is pretty cunning,” she whispered and the other widened their eyes in surprise. “He actually put Yeojin in the committee to put his daughter on the spotlight. And everyone knows Yeojin is the actual fastest female runner here.”

“Well that’s unexpected!” Her friend reacted.

“Ah! Whatever!” Their other friend cut in. “Let’s buy some snack at those booths!” She nodded to the booths outside and dragged her two friends.

 


“Why did you tell me to come along again?” Yeojin asked the guy standing beside her with crossed arms. They were both leaning back on the wall.

“First of all,” Sehun eyed her from the corner of his eyes, “you’re the PIC. Second, I called you then in case CPR was needed to be performed.”

“Ah!” Yeojin snapped her fingers as a grin spread across her face. “That was why you didn’t carried her right away, but lie her back down first, right? Right?”

“Yeah,” Sehun answered shortly. “And third, I told you to tag along because I needed you to loosen up her bra if needed and if the nurse is not around,” Sehun continued casually.

“WHAT?!” Yeojin’s jaw dropped and her eyes rounded in shock. “Ya! Oh Sehun! You- you-,” she lost her words.

“What?” Sehun lazily asked back and looked at her. “You thought I’m a ert huh?” Yeojin just glared at him. “Babo!” He pushed her forehead with a finger. “I needed you to do it in case it was too tight. It might prevent her to breathe freely. When someone faints, usually his collar or belt needs to be loosened in case it prevents intake of air. In this case, I was just worried if her bra was too tight,” he explained as Yeojin rubbed her forehead.

“I though you were a ert,” she mumbled lowering her head.

“If I were a ert, I wouldn’t tell you to tag along would I?”

“Ah… Right!” Yeojin gave him an apologetic smile.

“That’s why… Learn!” He lightly knocked her head.

“Ya!” She hit his hand away and he smirked.

“Are you two a couple?” The nurse giggled coming back from checking the coach’s daughter.

“A-ani!” Yeojin immediately denied while Sehun just rolled his eyes and unfold his arms. The nurse laughed at her reaction.

“So how is she?” Sehun asked instead.

“Ah, yes! She’s conscious now. I just told her to rest a bit,” said the nurse with a smile. “Oh! Can any of you two buy some food for her? Apparently, she had not eaten anything since the morning.”

“No wonder,” Sehun mumbled. “I’ll buy her something,” he said before exiting the infirmary with Yeojin. He then turned to her, “You go back to the competition. It’s still on going right?”

“Okay,” she agreed and he went the other way.

Just as Yeojin turned around to walk for the track field, a panting and panic-looking Kris greeted her.

“Kris?!” She widened her eyes in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

Kris was still panting as he searched for the right answer to say.

“I… I…”

“Ah!” She cut in clapping her hands once. “You’re here to watch Lin’s basketball competition, huh?”

Yifan furrowed his eyebrows a bit. He didn’t even know that his sister was part of the school’s basketball team.

“Ye-yes,” he decided to answer.

Yeojin checked her watch before looking up to him. “Her game is just about to start in a few minutes. I’ll get going then,” she slightly bobbed her head.

“Wait!” Kris grabbed her arm and Yeojin looked at him blinking.

“A-are you okay?” His eyes searched for hers.

“Hm?” Yeojin lifted an eyebrow. “Why wouldn’t I be?” She knitted her brows. Kris just slowly nodded as he released her arm. “I gotta go,” she turned around but was again stopped by him.

“Wait!” He made Yeojin tuned around again. “I forgot where the basketball court is.”

Yeojin snorted and chuckled. “You’re an alumnus of this school!”

“I know. But it’s been long.”

Yeojin rolled her eyes. “Araso. I’ll walk you there.”

The walk to the basketball indoor court was silent. Kris still tried to hide his face when some students passed. Yeojin didn’t actually know what to say to him. It still felt somehow awkward with him.

“Yeojin!” A familiar voice called and she turned her head around and found Sunhee running to her. “Sehun is – Oh!” She paused when she was surprised to see Kris. “Hello!” She greeted and bobbed her head and Kris bobbed his too. Sunhee glanced at Yeojin and then back at Kris before turning to Yeojin again when Yeojin nudged her. “Ah! Anyway,” she awkwardly cleared . “Sehun is back at the field and he’s looking for you,” she finished the sentence stealing a glance at the tall guy.

“Ah right!” Yeojin slapped her own forehead. “I forgot!” She then turned to Kris. “The basketball court is just down the hall to the left.” She pointed down the hall. “Sorry. I gotta go,” with that she dashed away.

“Uh.. Sunhee-ssi!” Kris called when the girl was about to follow Yeojin who had ran away far.

“Yes?” She bit her lip.

“Does…,” he hesitated, “does she participated in the competition?”

“Oh! Uhm.. No. She’s the PIC for the competition though.”

“Ah~,” Kris nodded.

“Tha-that’s why Sehun is looking for her,” she quickly added.

“I see…”

“Uhm… Is there anything else?” She politely asked and he shook his head. “I’ll get going then,” she bobbed her head.

So it wasn’t her who fainted then.

Kris then walked down the hall when a group of girls came out of the girls’ locker room with their basketball uniform. They were giggling and chattering as they did so.

“Gege?” One of them asked, approaching him. “Gege!” Lin’s eyes lit up when she recognized him and Kris just grinned unsurely.

“Hey.”

“What are you doing here?” Lin asked excitedly as some of the friends behind her giggled and whispered.

‘OMG! Is that really Kris Wu?’

‘He’s so much more handsome in real life.’

‘I know right!’

“I – I came…uhm… to watch you play,” he answered and Lin’s friends squealed.

“Really?” The grin on Lin’s face grew wider. “Thanks, Ge!” She hugged him.

“Y-yeah! Sure.” He patted her back awkwardly.

“Lin! Let’s go!” Her friend called and she released the hug.

“I’ll see you after the game, Ge!” She waved.

 

 

Kris leaned back on the wall beside the girls’ locker room waiting for Lin to come out.

What am I actually doing here? I came here to fulfill that promise, but she’s busy doing something else.

Lin finally came out and they walked toward the school’s lobby when they met Yeojin on the way.

“Eonni!” Lin called and ran to her while Kris walked behind.

“Oh hey!” Yeojin grinned. “How was the competition? I heard we won!”

“Of course we did!” Lin proudly answered earning a chuckle from her. “Oh! Since Gege is here too,” she glanced at her brother, “why don’t we have dinner somewhere? It’s been a long time since we last hung out together just the three of us.”

Yeojin glanced at Kris who just looked away before looking back at Lin. “Well…”

“Sorry, but she already had a plan with me,” Sehun interrupted from behind walking toward her.

“What?” Yeojin’s eyes rounded. “What plan?” She asked as he came to her side.

“I’m taking you out for dinner,” he answered and Lin looked between the two as a slight pang pricked her heart. “To celebrate for the competition,” he added and turned to look at the older guy who had been looking at him with sharp gaze. “Don’t worry. I won’t take her home late,” he forced a smile.

“I didn’t say I want to-”

“Sunhee Eonni!” Lin cut when she saw Sunhee who smiled and waved walking toward them.

Yeojin’s eyes grew wide while Lin furrowed her eyebrows seeing the person beside Sunhee. Yeojin’s eyes twinkled as she smiled widely making the two guys beside her snapped their head toward the coming pair.

“Jongin!” She approached and hugged the said boy.

“Hey!” He greeted placing an arm around her shoulders as he gave her a charming smile.

That dancer! Kris’ jaw tightened.

He then looked at Kris and Sehun when Yeojin released her hug and bobbed his head.

Who’s he? Sehun questioned in his mind.

“Oh!” Jongin’s eyes twinkled when his gaze landed on Lin. “I believe we haven’t met. I’m Jongin. Kim Jongin,” he extended his hand toward her.

“Lin. Wu Lin.” Lin gave a small smile shaking his hand.

“What are you doing here by the way?” Yeojin asked him excitedly.

“I told him to come,” Sunhee answered instead. “And he said he wanted to meet you too.”

“Yeah. I missed you,” Jongin added ruffling her hair. Lin eyed them in surprise.

Tsk. Isn’t he too touchy for someone who knows she’s someone else’s wife? Without realizing, he balled his hands into fists.

“I was going to eat out with her and thought of asking you to come along. Wanna come?” Jongin asked.

“Sure- ”

“NO!” Kris and Sehun said in unison earning a surprised look from everyone else.

The two guys look at each other while clearing their throat before looking back at the others the next second. The others were just blinking at them still in surprise.

“She-she had a plan with him,” Kris quickly explained pointing at Sehun with his thumb. Kai pursed his lips and lowered his head trying to stifle his chuckle and faked a cough instead.

“Y-yeah,” Sehun confirmed.

“I didn’t say I want to go with you!” Yeojin firmly retorted glaring at the two.

“I’m your boyfriend, remember?” Sehun decided to bravely say those words, and an instant silence befell on the group for a moment.

Yeojin was flustered by his words. She opened to say something in retort, but no words came out from , as she was too baffled. Sunhee gulped stealing a glance at Kris who just sighed.

“Boyfriend?” Lin asked confusedly in a small voice.

“Whoa! Didn’t know you’re two-timing,” Jongin whispered to Yeojin to before looking back at the said boyfriend with a smile. “Sorry. I didn’t know you’re her boyfriend.” From the corner of his eyes, he briefly glanced at Kris who looked away. “You go with your boyfriend then.” He lightly pushed Yeojin who was snapped out of her baffled state.

“It- it’s not that-,” she tried to explain.

“We’ll hangout some other time,” he patted her head. “If your boyfriend allowed it, of course,” he quickly added. But instead of looking at Sehun, he briefly glanced at Kris again.

“Let’s go.” Sehun grabbed her hand pulling her away from Jongin. “I’ll drop her home,” he said to Kris who just lowered his head.

“Y-y-ya!” Yeojin protested but could not pry her hand off of his as he dragged her out of the school building.

Jongin chuckled shaking his head. “She so owes me an explanation!”

“Boyfriend?” Lin voiced her question again this time louder.

Sunhee deeply sighed before she answered, “She hasn’t told you, has she? It’s a long story, but don’t worry her relationship with him is not even real. And I’m sure she will tell you.” Sunhee smiled and patted the younger girl’s back.

“Did you know, Ge?” Lin turned to her brother.

“Let’s grab something to eat,” he said instead and continued, “and you should go home afterwards.” He exited the school’s building first.

“Your brother’s really bad at hiding his jealousy,” Kai commented with a smirk.

 


I wanted to post this on Kris or Chanyeol's birthday, but failed to do so haha. But at least this chapter is long right? :)